Is it worth selling my D3 for a D4?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
ken6217
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
Is it worth selling my D3 for a D4?
Mar 30, 2013

I have had my D3 since the first month they were released. I was curious is the D4 that much of an upgrade if I don't care about video?

Besides the additional 4mp, is the D4 and huge upgrade?

Thanks,

Ken

Nikon D3 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it worth selling my D3 for a D4?
In reply to ken6217, Mar 30, 2013

Everything I've ever read on the subject is that the D3S is a worthwhile update on the D3, but the D4 is only marginally ( if at all ) better than the D3S. So from a D3 to a D4 would be worthwhile, but if you're not interested in video you can save some coin by going to a D3S. If you're not concerned about the $$ then you might as well jump to the D4.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jane79
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?

The D4 is much better than the D3 and significantly better than the D3s. When buying a fast pro body, I'd definitely go for the D4.

T O Shooter
Like?
Maybe
In reply to Jane79, Mar 30, 2013

Jane79 wrote:

The D4 is significantly better than the D3s.

I haven't seen one review that says it's anything more than marginally different. Unless you want the video upgrades. Anyway, as I said, a D4 is a good upgrade on the D3, which is what the OP has. But if the D4 is pushing the budget, then investigate a used D3S. You won't go wrong.

Canon PowerShot G5
RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?

ken6217 wrote:

I have had my D3 since the first month they were released. I was curious is the D4 that much of an upgrade if I don't care about video?

Besides the additional 4mp, is the D4 and huge upgrade?

Thanks,

Ken

Not sure how anyone could answer without knowing WHAT you shoot and where you are pushing the envelope (what new features might address limitations you have).

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
Jane79
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe
In reply to T O Shooter, Mar 30, 2013

T O Shooter wrote:

Jane79 wrote:

I haven't seen one review that says it's anything more than marginally different. Unless you want the video upgrades. Anyway, as I said, a D4 is a good upgrade on the D3, which is what the OP has. But if the D4 is pushing the budget, then investigate a used D3S. You won't go wrong.

The D4 is the #1 camera at Senscore.

Quote: "... raises the bar to new heights in dynamic range, color range and tonal range. No other current sensor comes even close in these categories."

T O Shooter
Like?
In reply to RicAllan, Mar 30, 2013

RicAllan wrote:

Not sure how anyone could answer without knowing WHAT you shoot and where you are pushing the envelope (what new features might address limitations you have).

-- hide signature --

Ric

I take it that you're referring to myself and Jane????  We couldn't answer that in general terms??  Too many fellows on here that half mask their ignorant attitude. Don't be afraid to just spit it out.

Why not just asked the OP what he intends to use it for and give him your opinion.

Canon PowerShot G5
T O Shooter
Like?
Re: Maybe
In reply to Jane79, Mar 30, 2013

Jane79 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Jane79 wrote:

The D4 is the #1 camera at Senscore.

Quote: "... raises the bar to new heights in dynamic range, color range and tonal range. No other current sensor comes even close in these categories."

I was referring to reviews by photographers using them side by side. They find very little "in the field" difference.  I only had the D3S for a short while, but the photos I did take has very little if any dr or color range difference from my D4. Nothing to get excited over. Throw my D800 in the mix - that's a very noticeable difference on those points.

Canon PowerShot G5
apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854
Like?

T O Shooter wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ric

I take it that you're referring to myself and Jane????  We couldn't answer that in general terms??  Too many fellows on here that half mask their ignorant attitude. Don't be afraid to just spit it out.

He didn't address anyone specific, though he apparently did nail it well enough that you recognize a problem with comments made by specific people!

Why not just asked the OP what he intends to use it for and give him your opinion.

That is what he did!

As to the validity of his point...  I own a D3, a D3S, and a D4.  The differences between each are significant if and only if those are areas used!  If the ISO is never set higher than 800 and video or speed is not an issue, quite frankly a D2X is just as good.

If high ISO and lower noise is important, at least get a D3S.  If video or fast shooting (high frame rates) for sports is important the D4 is significantly better.

But to be honest, for about 75% of what I do, it is true that the camera I use is the D800.  If the objective is to print at 16x20 or larger, those pixels are absolutely wonderful.  It also has better dynamic range.  But using high speed continuous mode will lock the camera up in only a few shots (while a D4 will easily rattle off literally dozens of exposures in sequence).

If I could have only one camera, it would be the D4.  If only two, a D800 and a D4.  But someone who uses cameras for purposes other than what I do would almost certainly have a very different priority list.

ken6217
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?

I mainly use for sports. I'm not interested in a a used camera = D3s.

So basically the question still is a D4 a significant upgrade over a D3?

Is the autofocus much better btw?

Ken

T O Shooter
Like?
In reply to apaflo, Mar 30, 2013

apaflo wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ric

He didn't address anyone specific, though he apparently did nail it well enough that you recognize a problem with comments made by specific people!

I'd say he did!   Just pointing it out.

That is what he did!

My guess would be that he didn't .  My guess was that he was saying the two poster prior to him shouldn't be replying without determining the use.  Could be wrong.

As to the validity of his point...  I own a D3, a D3S, and a D4.  The differences between each are significant if and only if those are areas used!  If the ISO is never set higher than 800 and video or speed is not an issue, quite frankly a D2X is just as good.

If high ISO and lower noise is important, at least get a D3S.  If video or fast shooting (high frame rates) for sports is important the D4 is significantly better.

Pretty much what I said.  OP said he wasn't concerned with video.  10fps of the D4 is hardly a significent improvement over the D3S with 9

But to be honest, for about 75% of what I do, it is true that the camera I use is the D800.  If the objective is to print at 16x20 or larger, those pixels are absolutely wonderful.  It also has better dynamic range.  But using high speed continuous mode will lock the camera up in only a few shots (while a D4 will easily rattle off literally dozens of exposures in sequence).

If I could have only one camera, it would be the D4.  If only two, a D800 and a D4.  But someone who uses cameras for purposes other than what I do would almost certainly have a very different priority list.

Canon PowerShot G5
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,764Gear list
Like?
D3, yes; D3s, probably not

If it is D3, it surely is worth but if it is D3s, it probably is not unless you are big into video...

It is not just about 4 mega pixels but improvements in dynamic range, high ISO performance and auto focus, all make it worth upgrading from D3. D3s, probably not so much.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Canadianguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?

I didn't have much to complain about the AF on the D3 in good light.

The AF is better in low light for a D4.  AF is possible for F8 lenses as well.

High ISO noise control for the D4 is closely matched to the D3s which was better than the D3.

The buffer is deeper on the D4, I could outshoot the buffer on a D3 (without the memory upgrade), I have not been able to outshoot the buffer on the D4.

ken6217 wrote:

Ken

KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357Gear list
Like?

ken6217 wrote:

Ken

Yes the D4 is a significant upgrade from a D3, from IQ, handling, buffer (unfillable), dust shaker, AF in low light (did one in the dark the other day, I couldn't even see), jpg quality, wireless etc.  Well rounded pro tool with great IQ.  And yes you can make some cool video too and make income on it (don't write that off too easily).

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
vandv
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?

Dump the D3 now and get the D4.  It is 4-5 years newer technology which is an eternity.  The difference is noticeable.

apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854
Like?

ken6217 wrote:

Ken

You will greatly appreciate the D4.  It is, for your purposes, a significant step up from the D3S, and that was a significant step up from the D3.

The D4 has better AF, and it will work with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/8. That means that something like an 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens can be used with a 1.4x TC.

The D4 is about the same at high ISOs as the D3S, which is significantly better than the D3.  That will show up very clearly with low light work where you can commonly use 12,800 ISO with confidence.  It makes shoot sports in dimmly illuminated gymnasiums a lot easier.

The difference between 12MP and 16MP is also often at least a little help.

But the big issue with sports is what happens when you shoot at a faster frame rate.  It isn't the exact rate that is an issue, but the buffer.  With a D3 or D3S you get something less than 20 RAW shots before things slow down while the buffer is written to the memory card.  The D3S has a slightly larger buffer and a slightly faster write speed, so it is just noticeably faster  to work with.

The D4 is simply astounding.  At the maximum frame rate you can hold the shutter release button down and it will shoot something like 50 exposures before it so much as hicups.  It will continue from that point on with a slightly slower frame rate!

The effect is that in practice it is very easy to overrun the buffer with either a D3 or a D3S, and then you are dead in the water for a bit.  It is necessary to be careful to save up some buffer space for a needed burst, and not managing it right will result in lost shots at a critical moment.  That just does not happen with the D4.

heptagon
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?

ken6217 wrote:

Ken

The autofocus is much better in low light conditions, but not necessarily for sports. However, the buffer and XQD card can give you over 108 continuous shots of 12-bit compressed RAW files, which is just a significant upgrade over the D3 and the D3s.

heptagon's gear list:heptagon's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
chris_uk
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?

I moved from a D3 to a D4 and considered it a worthwhile upgrade for me.

Event_shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004
Like?

I went from the D3 to the D4 and I didn't think it was worth it. Not enough bump in MP. As far as speed, sure it's a rocket and if you need video, but the price id off putting.

I bought the D800E and the D4 at the same time. I dumped the D4 as I was always shooting with the better higher MP D800E.

If the D4 was 4K or even 5K, yes, but price to MP isn't worth it. Just keep the D3, it is and always will be an amazing camera.

Maybe when the D4s comes out with 24mp, and rocket speed at 5K

RicAllan
Contributing MemberPosts: 703Gear list
Like?

T O Shooter wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ric

Didn't intend it for anyone in particular (it's a common thing in the forums and was directed at the questioner) but if the shoe fits, were it. We're talking about top of the food chain tools, not general purpose point and shoot cameras.

-- hide signature --

Ric

RicAllan's gear list:RicAllan's gear list
Nikon D4s
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads