Camera choice for Europe trip

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782Gear list
Like?
Camera choice for Europe trip
Mar 30, 2013

In a week or so, we will be on a 15 day cruise ending in Rome.  We'll spend 5 days there, then on to London, for 6 days.  We will walk most everywhere, so lots of equipment schlepping. Then back home to Dallas.  My question is what camera(s) to take?

Initially, I was going to take only my LX-7 with LVF-2 finder.  Small, light, amazing lens, but small sensor.  I have a waist pack that holds the camera, accessories, and other goodies securely. But only a small sensor....

So, then I decided to also take my GH3 with 12-35 and 14-140 lenses.  Fairly compact, but still requires a decent day pack to carry along.  The GH3 and 12-35 are weather sealed, maybe a good thing for London. Quite a bit more weight and stuff to keep track of.

Then, I had an opportunity to purchase a used (in excellent condition) X100 with accessories.  I have played with the X100 before, so I am fairly familiar with it.  It would be an easy camera to carry (it comes with the OEM leather case).  But only a foot zoom....

So I'm coming here to solicit your suggestions:  which one (or two) (or three) cameras should I carry on this adventure?  BTW, I just turned 70, in good shape, but no spring chicken anymore, weight counts.

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jm10
Senior MemberPosts: 1,072Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera choice for Europe trip
In reply to John.Laninga, Mar 30, 2013

John,

Since you are on a Fujifilm forum it should not shock you that I would suggest an X-E1. I like the versatility and the quality of the 18-55mm lens. Looking forward to my european trip that starts in Rome. This is what I am bringing along. Weight was a consideration for me (don't remember the numbers - you can look it up). I carry it in a waist bag lens down. Yes, heavier than the X100, but I do like the zoom feature...

Jacob

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Crawley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074
Like?

I had the same dilemma.  the guys at Arlington Camera steered me to two cameras. the Fujifilm XS-1 which has a long lens and a 2/3 sensor and the Lumix FZ 200 with a smaller sensor but a Leica 25-600 mm lens that stays a constant f2.8...I played with both and it was a toss up until I considered the dark corners and Cathedrals and what not I would encounter so I chose the faster lens.  Also...the Lumix is lighter...weight is very reasonable. BTW I have printed images up to 11 x 14 with ease from this fine little camera. that beings said the XS-1 is a fine tool as well. With either, you will not have to carry axillary lens. they both have 24x reach.  That should be plenty for peering behind the curtain in Rome.

Good luck and remember to post us some pictures when you return.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley (fellow Dallasite!)
“Let there be light.” It all began right there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wordsandsuch/show/
There are three kinds of people: those that are good at math and those that are not.

jsjjnbrunk
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?

John.Laninga wrote:

In a week or so, we will be on a 15 day cruise ending in Rome.  We'll spend 5 days there, then on to London, for 6 days.  We will walk most everywhere, so lots of equipment schlepping. Then back home to Dallas.  My question is what camera(s) to take?

Initially, I was going to take only my LX-7 with LVF-2 finder.  Small, light, amazing lens, but small sensor.  I have a waist pack that holds the camera, accessories, and other goodies securely. But only a small sensor....

So, then I decided to also take my GH3 with 12-35 and 14-140 lenses.  Fairly compact, but still requires a decent day pack to carry along.  The GH3 and 12-35 are weather sealed, maybe a good thing for London. Quite a bit more weight and stuff to keep track of.

Then, I had an opportunity to purchase a used (in excellent condition) X100 with accessories.  I have played with the X100 before, so I am fairly familiar with it.  It would be an easy camera to carry (it comes with the OEM leather case).  But only a foot zoom....

So I'm coming here to solicit your suggestions:  which one (or two) (or three) cameras should I carry on this adventure?  BTW, I just turned 70, in good shape, but no spring chicken anymore, weight counts.

My last two trips to Europe, I carried a Panasonic LX-3 and was very pleased with the results.  I chose it over my wonderful 5D with no regrets.

I have a new X100s now and wouldn't hesitate to take it on my next trip.  But, in all honesty, having a zoom would be better than not.  However; I also believe that a short prime would be better than exchanging lenses.  (Europe is a generally "compact" place and I found that a short lens worked very well an awful lot of the time).

I read someplace that the best camera is the one you will use the most.  As much as I love my DSLRs and the SLRs before them, I really believe that a compact camera is the one you will use the most when traveling.  And a zoom or prime will get more use than 2 or more interchangeable lenses.

jeb

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593
Like?
my opinion and few samples

John.Laninga wrote:

I wouldn't take new camera on important trip (no matter how good it is). I'd rather enjoy sightseeing than read manuals.

Pictures below were taken with LX-5

Florence

Colosseum at night

Regards,

vkphoto

John Crawley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074
Like?
Re: my opinion and few samples
In reply to vkphoto, Mar 30, 2013

Great shots!

-- hide signature --

John Crawley
There are three kinds of people: those that are good at math and those that are not.

howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,593
Like?

I have a LX7 and get great results especially if you are able to keep the ISO at a relatively lower levels.  I suggest that you take the LX7 and also take X100 for high ISO shots if you need to and other shots you want to take (I have seen photos on this forum taken with the X100 and it is capable of taking outstanding photos).  When you need a range larger than 35mm of the X100 use the LX7 has a fast lens with a very usable 24-90mm (35 equivalent) zoom range.

I went to New York at the end of February and took my LX7 and a Panasonic G5 with various lenses and used both. I got great results from both camera but I was surprised how good the LX7 performed.  Below are a few of many that I have on my website.  The weather was poor but the LX7 was great.

Have a great time on trip.

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,593
Like?
and couple B&W
In reply to John Crawley, Mar 30, 2013

John Crawley wrote:

Great shots!

-- hide signature --

John Crawley

Thanks John.

LX-5

vkphoto

John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782Gear list
Like?
Thanks for the replies
In reply to John.Laninga, Mar 31, 2013

Appreciate the feedback.  I (probably) will take the LX7 as an always-with-me camera, and also add X100 for when I expect to take pictures.

I used an X100 last year for a month, so I am familiar with it.  And I have a 2 week sea cruise to re-familiarize myself.  I do carry the manual on my tablet.

Personally, I love my GH3 with it's fast zoom lenses, and it is weather resistant.  Nevertheless, there is a weight penalty, and my significant other would like me to see some of the sights out of both eyes instead of one eye and viewfinder.  The X100 is just a faster camera to use with its great dial setup.

But I bet I won't make up my mind until I actually pack my bags in a few days.  And taking all three is out of the question

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
LKJR
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for the replies
In reply to John.Laninga, Mar 31, 2013

Your decision sounds good.

If you are into taking lots of pictures in churches etc., the LX7 is the way to go as you will be cramped with the X100. My LX3 got used the most in buildings, at night and for sweeping landscapes (over my DSLR) on my trips to Italy.

And of course on these trips a really good backpack (with chest and waist support) and/or waist pack should not be overlooked.

Enjoy your trip!

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to jm10, Mar 31, 2013

jm10 wrote:

John,

Since you are on a Fujifilm forum it should not shock you that I would suggest an X-E1. I like the versatility and the quality of the 18-55mm lens. Looking forward to my european trip that starts in Rome. This is what I am bringing along. Weight was a consideration for me (don't remember the numbers - you can look it up). I carry it in a waist bag lens down. Yes, heavier than the X100, but I do like the zoom feature...

Jacob

The XE1 and zoom would be my pick as well. Relatively small, very versatile and great IQ.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
EWR72
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Mar 31, 2013

Hi John, I went to Barcelona awhile back with my Panasonic LX3 and it was very handy to carry around and I was very happy with the results. I have a post on my Blog about it if you want to check it out.....

http://lightoflanzarote.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/barcelona-from-the-archives/

I also took it along to Germany and found I used it a lot as it is very compact and was always with me.

I am sure the LX-7 would be very handy to take along, maybe with the X100. I´d love to get one as a travel camera but have Sony Nex and Sigma DP cameras to tide me over:) It will be interesting to hear how you get on. Here is one of my favourite shots from Barcelona with the LX3.......

EWR72's gear list:EWR72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP1s Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +5 more
umanemo
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
IQ vs Convenience?
In reply to LKJR, Mar 31, 2013

I too have boycotted the airlines... congratulations! You will love your transatlantic!

In the meantime, after the binge feeding you will inevitably partake in during the 14 day crossing you will need to shed a few calories. You will also have 14 days on deck to learn a new camera. Therefore as I have also evolved through the LX-2, LX-5 and now onto the XE-1 I can recommend carrying the extra weight and learning the X system.

X100s, XE-1 or X-Pro, as most of the posters on this forum will repeat there are no better APSC files out there then the X-Trans. And by comparison, the 1 1/7" sensors get a little fuzzy at 100%

Besides all the math, it is a reality that APSC is about to be thought of as the old 1 1/7" when compared to the future "Full Frame" sensors that are rolling out as we speak.

Step in as close as you can afford to the best IQ possible or you will wish you did in just a few years from now!

skimble
Senior MemberPosts: 6,173Gear list
Like?
it will be a back and forth...
In reply to John.Laninga, Apr 1, 2013

till you pack John

I just been t UK and Germany with the X100 only and I have the Lx3

Now if you think I advise you to take the X100 wrong

The Lx7 is the more versatile camera and I assume you would shoot mainly in good light not during night hours.

If you look for a camera you have fun shooting with and moving your legs and bending now and then the X100 is the more fun camera to use. More challenging but you would miss the wide for sure if you don't have the WC lens.

If you want to relax and take the nice snaps here and their take the Lx7 it will do for sure a great job and leave you with more time to enjoy your trip.

If I would take the X100 over the Lx3 next trip again? for sure because I like to work with the camera. The X100 is what makes me want to shoot not just take holidays snaps, don't get me wrong they belong into the holiday as well. With traveling in unknown places you have a better eye for the special things and the X100 helps you to bring that home

Cheers,

Siggi

so easy all in one Lx7

work horse with fun X100 and of cause superb IQ

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,182Gear list
Like?

I would take the X100 while on the streets, and one camera with a zoom, probably the small LX for when on the boat or doing some rural site seeing (if you get a chance to do that). Keep it light, the extra load of all of that gear will wear on you and make you wish you did not have it all. With the 35mm FL you can walk back or forward and get wonderful shots that way. Enjoy your trip.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Apr 1, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

jm10 wrote:

John,

Jacob

The XE1 and zoom would be my pick as well. Relatively small, very versatile and great IQ.

I don't see where John wants to buy another camera but wants to make a decision regarding what he already has. Good luck

Andrei Nicoara
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: IQ vs Convenience?
In reply to umanemo, Apr 1, 2013

I would also vouch for the Fuji X-E1 with XF 18-55. I went to Rome two weeks ago with exactly this kit and I couldn't been happier. Yes it is heavier than my old Fuji X10, but the IQ more than makes up for the additional weight. You can see some pictures from Rome with the X-E1 - you can also use that page to get an idea about the place. andreinicoara.com/when-all-the-roads-lead-to-rome-have-your-camera-ready/

I love the X100 / X100s, but I am not sure I would feel comfortable with a fixed lens. I am forcing myself to use the Fuji X-E1 with the fixed 35mm, and if that experiment goes well maybe I will change my opinion.

-- hide signature --

www.andreinicoara.com

Andrei Nicoara's gear list:Andrei Nicoara's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
OPWong
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?

I done a few Europe cruise in the past few years, IMO that the x100 is not really wide enough for a lot of building landmark inside or out.  Foot zoom is OK if you want to get closer but for wider scene you may found your back against the wall.

Whatever you decide to take, have a good trip and a fab holiday.

OPWong's gear list:OPWong's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Samsung WB350F
PiterM
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Thanks for the replies
In reply to LKJR, Apr 1, 2013

Personally I'd take X100 and LX7 as a backup. I traveled similar way last year to Italy (X100 & Olympus XZ-1 as backup) and couldn't be more happy.

joe Campo d2x
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
In reply to John.Laninga, Apr 2, 2013

I vote for Fuji x20, I have 2, I love them so much, also have 100s, I'm a Canon and nikon shooter but

these new cameras are really very good and easy to carry ….

joe Campo d2x's gear list:joe Campo d2x's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads