XZ-10 ISO samples

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
jim4850
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
XZ-10 ISO samples
Mar 29, 2013

Since these are rare here's some test shots.

100 ISO

100 ISO crop

200

400

800

1600

3200

6400

6400

 jim4850's gear list:jim4850's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus SZ-16 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Samsung NX100 +1 more
Olympus Stylus XZ-10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jim4850
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to jim4850, Mar 29, 2013

Sorry I appear to have stuffed up, they lack EXIF info, usually I don't have a problem but I must have made a mess of it

 jim4850's gear list:jim4850's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus SZ-16 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Samsung NX100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to jim4850, Mar 30, 2013

Thank you. Almost too good to be truth!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 741Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to jim4850, Mar 30, 2013

jim4850 wrote:

Sorry I appear to have stuffed up, they lack EXIF info, usually I don't have a problem but I must have made a mess of it

Thanks for posting your ISO comparison - very interesting.

Could you please verify that the ISO values are correct? Especially the 100 and 200 ISO?

The latter seem to be worse than higher ISOs. Did you use standard settings?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

 Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jim4850
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to Kerusker, Mar 30, 2013

I think I'll have to redo a bit fancier, I only used P mode and the aperture varied, I should do it more manually with the same aperture, but for now bedtime reckons.

I'll find something better to aim at.

 jim4850's gear list:jim4850's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus SZ-16 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Samsung NX100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jim4850
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
More spam
In reply to jim4850, Mar 30, 2013

All shot at F4 in dim light to avoid overblowing ISO 6400

full size ISO 100

100

200

400

800

1600

3200

6400

full size 6400

 jim4850's gear list:jim4850's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus SZ-16 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Samsung NX100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 741Gear list
Like?
Re: More spam
In reply to jim4850, Mar 30, 2013

Jim,

thanks for your SPAM

You did choose a tough target but the ISO effect is clearly visible.

Up do ISO 800 the XZ-10 is doing very well for it's small sensor; ISO 1600 is still usable and up to 6400 it's good enough for the net.

Amazing (me thinks).

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

 Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Re: More spam
In reply to Kerusker, Mar 30, 2013

Kerusker wrote:

Jim,

thanks for your SPAM

You did choose a tough target but the ISO effect is clearly visible.

Up do ISO 800 the XZ-10 is doing very well for it's small sensor; ISO 1600 is still usable and up to 6400 it's good enough for the net.

Amazing (me thinks).

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Thank you Jim, and it is indeed amazing!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to jim4850, Mar 31, 2013

I do appreciate you taking samples, but is it possible to just go outside and take a normal landscape or cityscape image.  Taking cans of food, or newspaper indoors at close range is not all that useful.

Also there is not need to do all the work to make crops, if doing so is going to strip the EXIFs.  Just make some images around the yard, in daylight, low-light, flowers, whatever.

I'm considering the XZ-10 but I honestly don't understand what all the review sites are doing as there are almost no samples on the web.  Nothing but a few sites for abroad, but DPR, PhotographyBlog, TechRadar, et al, are useless for the two most interesting high end compact released recently, the XZ-10 and P330.

So since you happen to have the XZ-10, you are in a position to change all that by putting up some full-sized images on Flickr.  They don't have to be test photos, just some images outdoors.

Thanks for your hard work, but honestly just some simple un-resized images would help most.

Much appreciated.  Regards, and happy shooting, Markus

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jim4850
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to marike6, Mar 31, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Also there is not need to do all the work to make crops, if doing so is going to strip the EXIFs.  Just make some images around the yard, in daylight, low-light, flowers, whatever.

Still a mystery to me? I didn't strip the EXIF out, in fact it annoys me when people do that, the EXIF still shows up with them in my gallery here, but for some reason despite having the settings what I think was correct they disappeared when posted here.

This was a specific test which I think may have been requested, being only a hobbyist and not wanting to get too far ahead of myself nor in the limelight, I'll just sit back for a little while and leave a bit of room for someone else to post samples.

 jim4850's gear list:jim4850's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus SZ-16 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Samsung NX100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,797Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to marike6, Apr 1, 2013

marike6 wrote:

I do appreciate you taking samples, but is it possible to just go outside and take a normal landscape or cityscape image.  Taking cans of food, or newspaper indoors at close range is not all that useful.

Actually he did these because many of us were asking for them.  I think what sets this camera apart from others in its class is the bright lens, which makes it attractive for indoor available light. The question many of us have is whether the brighter lens (f/2.7 at the long end) makes it better for this type of shooting than the Nikon P330 (which is f/5.6 at the long end). The Nikon has the larger sensor, but is the image quality at, say, ISO 1600 better than what the XZ-10 can do at 400? Unfortunately almost all sample photos I have found are at the base ISO.

I've had an easier time finding outdoor landscape/cityscape samples from the XZ-10. Personally I think any modern camera will do very well at base-ISO landscapes and cityscapes (although only a small percentage will be exceptional). It's in lower light that things get interesting, and the samples in this thread look better than I would have expected. True there is more noise and less detail than what my E-M5 can do, but given the difference in sensor sizes the gap isn't what I would have expected. Of course these are just one set of samples and I don't know how much noise reduction was applied, but when it comes to shooting photos of kids and family in available light (which is how my wife will use it) fine detail isn't super important and some noise is fine as well.

Sean

 sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barr1e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,724Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to sean000, Apr 2, 2013

Hi Jim -

Thanks for all your efforts.

I am enjoying my XZ-10 too - lots to learn with some of the sub files tucked away in various modes which help to produce some interesting pix, like this collage below.

A  pic takem in A.mode of the same church which I have reduced to 1600p on the long side for folk to see it on their screens.

Regards.   Barr1e

 Barr1e's gear list:Barr1e's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PPW
PPW
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: XZ-10 ISO samples
In reply to Barr1e, Apr 2, 2013

Can those of you who own the camera comment on the speed & accuracy of its

autofocus, especially in low light (indoors), without the AF illuminator light?

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

- Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Is low-light a priority for a compact?
In reply to sean000, Apr 2, 2013

sean000 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

I do appreciate you taking samples, but is it possible to just go outside and take a normal landscape or cityscape image.  Taking cans of food, or newspaper indoors at close range is not all that useful.

Actually he did these because many of us were asking for them.  I think what sets this camera apart from others in its class is the bright lens, which makes it attractive for indoor available light. The question many of us have is whether the brighter lens (f/2.7 at the long end) makes it better for this type of shooting than the Nikon P330 (which is f/5.6 at the long end). The Nikon has the larger sensor, but is the image quality at, say, ISO 1600 better than what the XZ-10 can do at 400? Unfortunately almost all sample photos I have found are at the base ISO.

Personally I'm less interested in how the XZ-10 performs at ISO 3200, but I would like to know how it performs at ISO 100.  I just don't see low-light shooting as a particular strength of any small sensor compacts.

And there seems to be a real lack of normal outdoor XZ-10 images.  And the ones I have found, the infinity focus scenics, landscapes, cityscapes, etc. have not looked very impressive so I'm not sure I agree that any modern compact can produce excellent daylight images.  The bar set by the S100, P7700, G15, et al is pretty high.

And since there are really almost no normal daylight XZ-10 images on Flickr, I thought I'd ask the OP to post some, since he seems to be one of the few XZ-10 owners on this forum.

On Flickr the XZ-10 representation is a sad affair.  Note the only landscape image is shot at base ISO, but for some reason is incredibly noisy.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Olympus%20XZ-10

I've had an easier time finding outdoor landscape/cityscape samples from the XZ-10.

Do you have any links?

Personally I think any modern camera will do very well at base-ISO landscapes and cityscapes (although only a small percentage will be exceptional).

Since most people use compacts for travel or vacation images, ideally a high-end enthusiast compact should be able to make sharp, colorful base ISO landscape / cityscape images.  Visit Flickr and you can find hundreds of excellent S110, P7700, G15, XZ-2 or MX-1 images.  The problem is the same type of images I've seen from the XZ-10 have failed to impress.  The close-up images do look good.  And some of the art filter images look good, but at infinity the lens/sensor combo is a big question mark for me (mainly because of the below samples, and some other P330-XZ-10 comparison images that show some some corner softness and fairly noticeable vignetting from the XZ-10.

Full-size XZ-10 landscape images from RAW

http://prohardver.hu/teszt/olympus_xz-10_a_kicsi_en/kepminoseg.html

Full-size XZ-10 landscape / cityscape

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/newproduct/20130313_591282.html

XZ-10 Comparison with other compacts

http://dslr-check.at.webry.info/201303/article_14.html Anyway, after having a look at these links, perhaps you'll understand my request to the OP.  My problem is I really like the XZ-10 form factor and bright lens and would buy it in a second if only I could find two or three sharp base ISO scenics from it. Thanks and happy shooting, Markus  
 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ChrisWal
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
Re: Is low-light a priority for a compact?
In reply to marike6, Apr 2, 2013

Hi Markus,

I'm very pleased to say that my XZ-10 arrived today. The "form factor" is everything I hoped for: definitely pocket-sized and with a satisfying build quality. I only had a chance to grab a few snaps but already I think I'm happy. If I get the chance to go and get some real test shots over the next couple of days, what would you really like to see to help you with your choice? This will not be in the spirit of trying to prove a point (I'm already almost satisfied) but to help you (and possibly other enthusiasts) get closer to making a decision with this camera.

Best wishes

Chris

 ChrisWal's gear list:ChrisWal's gear list
Olympus SP-350 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-620 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Is low-light a priority for a compact?
In reply to ChrisWal, Apr 2, 2013

ChrisWal wrote:

Hi Markus,

I'm very pleased to say that my XZ-10 arrived today. The "form factor" is everything I hoped for: definitely pocket-sized and with a satisfying build quality. I only had a chance to grab a few snaps but already I think I'm happy.

That's great.  Congratulations on the new XZ-10. It looks like a very nice camera.  I've seen a video on YouTube of it's AF performance, and it's most impressive.

If I get the chance to go and get some real test shots over the next couple of days, what would you really like to see to help you with your choice?

I'd like to see some normal outdoor daylight images, scenics, architecture, landscapes, i.e., some local buildings, people milling about, anything really.  Nothing fancy, I just haven't seen many ISO 100-400 images (distant shots) from the XZ-10.

I've seen a few close ups and they look great like these XZ-10 shots for example.

The close-ups like these have been most impressive.  Sharp and colorful.

I have not seem too many more distant shots - landscaps, street images, candid, people or animal photos, etc.

This will not be in the spirit of trying to prove a point (I'm already almost satisfied) but to help you (and possibly other enthusiasts) get closer to making a decision with this camera.

Not worries, Chris, just have fun with your camera.  And thanks for thinking of us XZ-10 starved users.  Much appreciated.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jim4850
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
Re: Is low-light a priority for a compact?
In reply to marike6, Apr 3, 2013

Weather too grey and lousy today to take any photos, with the right light and clear air magic can happen for anyone but with grey skies you need a magician.

Here's a nondescript photo I took a fortnight or so ago with blue sky that's not worth posting otherwise.

a bland wide angle shot.

Maybe I can add though that I'm finding the XZ-10 very useful, the results are good from anything I try and it has become a real good all rounder for the use I have for web posts, only lacking a decent zoom but all things are compromises. One of the very nice touches is the timer that doesn't reset until you want it to, I wish all camera's firmware were programmed like that.

 jim4850's gear list:jim4850's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus SZ-16 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Samsung NX100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Is low-light a priority for a compact?
In reply to jim4850, Apr 3, 2013

jim4850 wrote:

Weather too grey and lousy today to take any photos, with the right light and clear air magic can happen for anyone but with grey skies you need a magician.

Here's a nondescript photo I took a fortnight or so ago with blue sky that's not worth posting otherwise.

a bland wide angle shot.

Maybe I can add though that I'm finding the XZ-10 very useful, the results are good from anything I try and it has become a real good all rounder for the use I have for web posts, only lacking a decent zoom but all things are compromises. One of the very nice touches is the timer that doesn't reset until you want it to, I wish all camera's firmware were programmed like that.

Don't find it bland at all, Jim.  These are the kind of shots I cannot seem to find online from this camera. It's useful to see how the camera renders fine detail at infinity.

Question:  why is your image 16:9 aspect ratio? Did you crop it that way or is it an option to shoot 16:9 in the menu?

Re: the self-timer, I wish all cameras did that, as I hate having to buy a remote release and one thing that used to drive me nuts with my XZ-1 was I would use the 2-sec release to avoid any shake and it reset it after ever shot.  Whereas my Ricoh GRD III, the most photographer friendly compact I've ever used, you could just set it on 2-sec and leave it.  Good to know the XZ-10 has this feature.

Thanks a lot.  Regards, and happy shooting, Markus

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jim4850
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
Re: Is low-light a priority for a compact?
In reply to marike6, Apr 3, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Question:  why is your image 16:9 aspect ratio? Did you crop it that way or is it an option to shoot 16:9 in the menu?

I regard 4:3 as a legacy ratio and haven't used it for years Markus, my shooting is usually 16:9 because that's what monitors are these days and also because I like it. Sometimes I shoot 1:1 because that's also useful. Yes it has 16:9 and 1:1 ratios available, as well as 3:2 which IMO is more useful than 4:3 especially if you get shots printed.

 jim4850's gear list:jim4850's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus SZ-16 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Samsung NX100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,797Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not? Why put a fast lens on it otherwise?
In reply to marike6, Apr 3, 2013

marike6 wrote:

sean000 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

I do appreciate you taking samples, but is it possible to just go outside and take a normal landscape or cityscape image.  Taking cans of food, or newspaper indoors at close range is not all that useful.

Actually he did these because many of us were asking for them.  I think what sets this camera apart from others in its class is the bright lens, which makes it attractive for indoor available light. The question many of us have is whether the brighter lens (f/2.7 at the long end) makes it better for this type of shooting than the Nikon P330 (which is f/5.6 at the long end). The Nikon has the larger sensor, but is the image quality at, say, ISO 1600 better than what the XZ-10 can do at 400? Unfortunately almost all sample photos I have found are at the base ISO.

Personally I'm less interested in how the XZ-10 performs at ISO 3200, but I would like to know how it performs at ISO 100.  I just don't see low-light shooting as a particular strength of any small sensor compacts.

Anyway, after having a look at these links, perhaps you'll understand my request to the OP.  My problem is I really like the XZ-10 form factor and bright lens and would buy it in a second if only I could find two or three sharp base ISO scenics from it. Thanks and happy shooting, Markus  

Why can't low light be a priority for a camera that has an f/1.8-2.7 zoom? Oh sure maybe it will slightly blur the background a bit more than f/5.6, but at the focal lengths used for such small sensors the depth of field isn't going to be nearly as shallow as with a larger sensor camera that uses longer focal lengths to achieve the same fields of view.

Low light is a priority for my wife. Despite the fact that we have a Nikon DSLR and an Olympus OM-D E-M5 at home, along with a shelf full of f/2.8 and faster lenses, she has no interest in using a complicated camera that requires frequent lens changes. She would rather use her iPhone to take photos of our kids indoors. Even at the playground the light gets low (we live in the pacific northwest)

A few years ago I would have said there just isn't much point to buying a compact sensor camera for low-light photos, but that was because even high-end compact cameras had two big problems (three if count poor AF in low light): Horrid image quality above ISO 200 or 400 and slow lenses that would be at f/5.6 in the short tele range. Now you can get compact cameras (like the XZ-10) with bright/fast lenses that let you keep the ISO in the camera's comfort zone as the light gets lower. Combine that f/2.7 tele with very good ISO 400 IQ and you've got a camera perfectly capable of taking good available light photos indoors on a typical day in our house. If the ISO is still usable at 1600 or 3200 (by usable I mean looks good on the Web or in a 4x6 print), then it will be good for indoors at night as well. No it won't match my E-M5 at f/2.7, but it will blow an iPhone camera out of the water... as well as any two or three year old high-end compact cameras.

I use my E-M5 or my Nikon for landscapes and architecture, so I guess we are looking at the XZ-10 for very different reasons and both dismayed at the lack of reviews and sample shots

And there seems to be a real lack of normal outdoor XZ-10 images.  And the ones I have found, the infinity focus scenics, landscapes, cityscapes, etc. have not looked very impressive so I'm not sure I agree that any modern compact can produce excellent daylight images.  The bar set by the S100, P7700, G15, et al is pretty high.

Note that I didn't say, "excellent." I said "very well." If I'm going for landscape shots to print at 13x19 or larger I'm going to stick with my larger sensor cameras and use a tripod along with my best lenses . Not that you can't get impressive results out of some of the cameras you mentioned, but aside from the S100 these are larger cameras...and the S100 has a slower lens. Olympus wouldn't put an f/1.8 to 2.7 zoom in a compact if they didn't intend for it to appeal to low-light shooters, and personally I wouldn't be surprised if they made some compromises to get the zoom that fast. Maybe the corner to corner sharpness will not be as good, or maybe there will be more fringing or CA with a faster lens. Hard to tell from samples that are likely shot as JPEG. Some of the ones I've seen were not taken in the best light either, so it's kind of like judging snapshots rather than looking at the results of people who have used the camera for a while and are presenting their best images.

It is a new camera though, so I guess we can't expect a ton of sample shots and professional reviews just yet. The most useful information, and best samples I've seen, have been from the jim4850  and others who have posted on this site.

Sean

 sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads