Rumor: Possible Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specs

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258
Like?
Re: Rumor: Possible Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specs
In reply to Robert Sheldon, Mar 30, 2013

Robert Sheldon wrote:

I am happy with my 7D.  The only thing that would get me to sping for a 7DII would be f/8 AF.

Yes, that would be a major improvement, and worth more than a few more Mp. However, I want that and 24Mp as Nikon and Oly have sensors with that density and less noise than 7D.

Dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
altair8800
Like?
In reply to x-vision, Mar 30, 2013

x-vision wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

24.1mp APS-C Sensor
Dual DIGIC V
10fps

Canon just announced the SX280 with Digic 6.

You have to agree that a 7DII rumor that says 'Digic 5' is highly questionable at this time  .

Yes, and if the lowly SX280 has Digic 6, the 7DII gets Digic 7? I would settle for dual Digic 6 and dedicated AF processor which works with f8 lens and TC combos.

Dan

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,729
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Mar 30, 2013

TTMartin wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

It looks like there are probably mutiple prototypes out for testing. The earlier rumor that indicated the new 7D might be more like a 1.6x-crop 1D, with two memory card slots, indicates two quite different prototypes.

I use a pair of 7D cameras at work, for shooting evidentiary images, mostly with a 100mm 2.8L Macro, and a 10-22mm EF-S; they are still quite relevant, so upgrading is not urgent. Cleaner low-light images at higher ISO would be my primary goal. (My evidentiary images must be submitted as JPEGs, with no out-of-camera processing.)

I have recently been experimenting with a newly-acquired, pre-owned, gently-handled 1D Mark II N. Based upon this, and my increasing interest in bird/wildlife photograpghy, I am hoping that Canon does produce a cropped-sensor camera with 1D X features, whether it is in the 7D series, or goes by another name. I would rather see the 1.3x APS-H sensor continue, but 1.6x is acceptable.

Based on the 1Dx, I think it's safe to say we've seen the last of the 1.3x crops.  Any 7D successor is going to be 1.6x crop, nothing else.

Mark

I'd still like to see a true APS-H sensor, same height as the APS-C, but, wider for 16X9 video. This would allow a lower profile mirror to maintain compatibility with EF-S lenses (APS-C Crop), but, give full sensor performance with EF lenses.

All I'm saying is that what you'd like to see is different than what Canon will do   It appears Canon is only maintaining APS-C and full frame sensors in their DSLR lines.

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,636Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Mar 30, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

TTMartin wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Based on the 1Dx, I think it's safe to say we've seen the last of the 1.3x crops.  Any 7D successor is going to be 1.6x crop, nothing else.

Mark

I'd still like to see a true APS-H sensor, same height as the APS-C, but, wider for 16X9 video. This would allow a lower profile mirror to maintain compatibility with EF-S lenses (APS-C Crop), but, give full sensor performance with EF lenses.

All I'm saying is that what you'd like to see is different than what Canon will do   It appears Canon is only maintaining APS-C and full frame sensors in their DSLR lines.

Given that its been less than a year, since they discontinued the 1D Mk IV, that might be a premature conclusion, then again it might not.

A wide APS-C, or actual Advance Photo System - H sensor would make a lot of sense. Canon could increase the mega pixels without increasing the sensor density, thus extending their current sensor technology.

It would be a great sensor for a enthusiast camera like the 70D. More megapixels, slightly larger sensor, and compatibility with EF-S lenses. Using the older sensor tech means it could be more cost effective, than increasing megapixels on an APS-C sensor.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 6D +23 more
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,838Gear list
Like?
Wrong... wrong... wrong
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 30, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

I'd hope for at least 2 stops better noise, 3+ would be a no brainer.  Adding RF flash support would be great.  Agree better/more consistent AF performance would be a big draw.  Given the size of the body dual card slots would be nice, dual CF or CF and SDXC would be nice.

Why do so many want more from a 7D when its available already????????

Sorry, but when WHAT is available already?  Are you suggesting that the 5D or 6D are straight replacements for what would be the successor to the 7D?  Really?  So, if you're looking for an improvement in high ISO performance, maybe.  In all other respects... focus system, reach, FPS, lens cost... and so on, the 7D as it stands now is better (with the exception of the focus system in the 5DMk3, but look at the price difference).  So, for many (perhaps most) of us, neither the 5D/5DMk2 or 6D would be an acceptable substitute for either the 7D or its successor.

[section deleted by moderator]

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +1 more
Lars Henrik Kjolberg
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
In reply to x-vision, Mar 31, 2013

x-vision wrote:

The 7D is already a good camera. All it needs is a better senor, IMO.

It also needs a better AF system. I had a 7D for 3 years. Sold it for a 5D MkIII. The AF on the 5D3 is so much better, but I miss the reach. A 7D with 5D3's AF and a better 1.6x sensor would have been a dream come through. The rest of the current 7D's spec is more than enough for me.

-- hide signature --

Lars Henrik Kjolberg's gear list:Lars Henrik Kjolberg's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
JohnJ851
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
1+
In reply to Lars Henrik Kjolberg, Mar 31, 2013
No text.
 JohnJ851's gear list:JohnJ851's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong... wrong... wrong
In reply to Jerry-astro, Mar 31, 2013

Jerry-astro wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

I'd hope for at least 2 stops better noise, 3+ would be a no brainer.  Adding RF flash support would be great.  Agree better/more consistent AF performance would be a big draw.  Given the size of the body dual card slots would be nice, dual CF or CF and SDXC would be nice.

Sorry, but when WHAT is available already?  Are you suggesting that the 5D or 6D are straight replacements for what would be the successor to the 7D?  Really?  So, if you're looking for an improvement in high ISO performance, maybe.  In all other respects... focus system, reach, FPS, lens cost... and so on, the 7D as it stands now is better (with the exception of the focus system in the 5DMk3, but look at the price difference).  So, for many (perhaps most) of us, neither the 5D/5DMk2 or 6D would be an acceptable substitute for either the 7D or its successor.

[section deleted by moderator]

that's the main problem with the 5D III and 6D praisers - they think 6 fps is already fast enough for action and the AF is all that counts . . .

In fact you need to "cluster" the photo activities.

If you need a sports camera probably the 1Dx is arguably the best consensus of all DSLRs in the market - yet it is a too heavy investment for most photographers - thus a 7D II would fill this gap perfectly with a high FPS rate and a new  sensor technology that rivals the current ff results up to ISO 3200 (that would be sufficient for my needs for action and sports)

On the other side there is the carefully and deliberately work from tripod with careful manual focusing e.g. with tilt and shift lenses at ISO 100 where the 6D and 5D III bring no advantage over the 5D II

So both new ff cameras are a welcome addition to the Canon lineup but almost no advantage for things I can't do with the 5D II now.

the rumored 7D II would be that kind of tool that enables completely new tasks but only if it gets an all new sensor technology that exceeds the current setup significantly - otherwise I will skip that camera too.

I really do hope that Canon releases some of their research work instead of maintaining their sensor line for years plus enhancing their signal processing only.

Clearly saves money for new lenses

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +10 more
kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,630Gear list
Like?
It behooves canon not to recycle
In reply to mailman88, Mar 31, 2013

Hopefuly, the delay is that canon does not want to recycle the same  5 year old sensor technology.  it currently stands at the bottom and alone compared to sony, fuji, pentax, nikon, etc.  I think 7DII will have dual card slots.  also if the asking price is truly 2100, it will carry the autofocus of 5d3.  it does have to compete with the 1300 dollar nikon 7100

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +20 more
Alton (TN)
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?
Specs seem less than previous rumor
In reply to mailman88, Mar 31, 2013

A few weeks ago the rumored specs were for a 24MP sensor and 61 AF points. Along with most of the specs your rumor has. I would love the 24MP, but would really love an AF like the 5D III has.

My wish list would also include the silent shutter, focus at F8,  and locking mode dial.

I could live with 21MP on a cropped sensor but if they were clean I would love to have 24MP on a cropped sensor. I think that would be handy for birding.

-- hide signature --

Alton

altair8800
Like?
In reply to joger, Apr 1, 2013

I really do hope that Canon releases some of their research work instead of maintaining their sensor line for years plus enhancing their signal processing only.

At that time, Canon said the 52Mp sensor had less noise than any of their production cameras. That would give us 32Mp at 7D size and 83Mp FF.

But they have progressed to bigger and better:

Photokina 2010 - Madison Photo newsletter:
"Canon also showed images taken with their new 120 Megapixel sensor. One image filled a wall and no trace of digital noise could be seen. It was absolutely amazing."

That may be a bit too much, but a 32Mp 7DII with 1DX AF would be good.

Dan

Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Re: Then get a 5D or 6D!
In reply to CrazySwiss, Apr 1, 2013

CrazySwiss wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

i just got one; and am very happy with it!

Me too, CrazySwiss. I like my 7D. There's always something "better" around the corner tho.

My 7D pics... http://www.flickr.com/photos/62287945@N02/

Ubi.

joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,555Gear list
Like?
In reply to altair8800, Apr 1, 2013

altair8800 wrote:

At that time, Canon said the 52Mp sensor had less noise than any of their production cameras. That would give us 32Mp at 7D size and 83Mp FF.

But they have progressed to bigger and better:

Photokina 2010 - Madison Photo newsletter:
"Canon also showed images taken with their new 120 Megapixel sensor. One image filled a wall and no trace of digital noise could be seen. It was absolutely amazing."

That may be a bit too much, but a 32Mp 7DII with 1DX AF would be good.

Dan

I'd be happy with some 24 MPixel - since the data has to be computed in the camera and 10 fps of RAW files make 240 Mpixel per second. The 1Dx computes some 220 MPixel per second of RAW images.

I don't think that an action camera needs more then 21 till 25 Mpixel - there is still plenty of pixels to crop if you're not perfectly aligned and you don't have to store too many pixels on your memory card.

What I would want to get though is a better S/N ratio on a similar pixel level as my 5D II in the crop format - that would be sufficient for my taste.

the current 7D is far off - especially at slightly higher ISOs.

Just for the record - I am no ISO 25 k shooter

But ISO 3200 is something I often use especially in critical light situations or when I need a faster aperture - especially with moving objects.

If canon could do that in a reasonable weighted package with built in WiFi and GPS that would be worth 2.5 k USD easily and two years later a slightly better 4x Mpixel 5D II successor at the price point of the 5D II plus inflation thus below 3 k USD

I would buy both and sell my two 5D IIs

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +10 more
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,855Gear list
Like?
Re: D400
In reply to mailman88, Apr 1, 2013

mailman88 wrote:

.....the 70D and 7DmkII are NOT RUMORS. They will come, just later than most people want.

Spec's are the problem. Every rumor that comes out, the spec's change.

That's what everyone said about the Nikon D400 back in 2009 when I was in the market for a replacement for my D80. Glad I went with the 7D or I would have still been waiting!

Rumors are rumors and only a few people from Canon know what will eventually be released. Even if there are prototypes out there being tested it still doesn't mean any of those will be realized as an actual product.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: It behooves canon not to recycle
In reply to kevindar, Apr 1, 2013

kevindar wrote:

Hopefuly, the delay is that canon does not want to recycle the same  5 year old sensor technology.  it currently stands at the bottom and alone compared to sony, fuji, pentax, nikon, etc.  I think 7DII will have dual card slots.  also if the asking price is truly 2100, it will carry the autofocus of 5d3.  it does have to compete with the 1300 dollar nikon 7100

-- hide signature --

I'm sorry, how old is this sensor technology?  5?  Are you talking about something besides their curent 18MP sensor that came out with the 7D 3.5 years ago?  Why not call the CMOS sensor 12 years old and go back to the D30?

Yes, their 5 year old sensors are below what Sony, Fuji, Pentax, and Nikon have right now.  Fortunately they haven't used the sensor they released 5 years ago for over three years now, so it's not surprising the technology in out of production cameras is being beaten by cameras currently in production.

There's no reason for the 7DII to have dual card slots, but if they put an SD slot next to the CF slot that would be great.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
KatManDEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545
Like?
In reply to x-vision, Apr 1, 2013

x-vision wrote:

+1. With one caveat - It needs the 5D3 AF system.

KatManDEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545
Like?
In reply to Lars Henrik Kjolberg, Apr 1, 2013

Lars Henrik Kjolberg wrote:

x-vision wrote:

It also needs a better AF system. I had a 7D for 3 years. Sold it for a 5D MkIII. The AF on the 5D3 is so much better, but I miss the reach. A 7D with 5D3's AF and a better 1.6x sensor would have been a dream come through. The rest of the current 7D's spec is more than enough for me.

Double +1.  The 5D3 AF is so much better that just putting it, and a new sensor on the 7DII, would yield a "must have" mega success. Those two things alone would put the rest of the industry on it's heel's.

mermaidkiller
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
In reply to mailman88, Apr 1, 2013

mailman88 wrote:

• Single CF card slot

Using this outdated memory card format only ? New cams use at least 1 SD slot.
I am happy I have an adapter so I can use SD cards (class 10) in my 7d without a problem and plug in direct into any device accepting SD acrds.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 7
Canon EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6
Canon EF 85 f/1.8
Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro
-------
Canon Powershot S100

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,636Gear list
Like?
In reply to mermaidkiller, Apr 1, 2013

mermaidkiller wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

• Single CF card slot

Using this outdated memory card format only ? New cams use at least 1 SD slot.
I am happy I have an adapter so I can use SD cards (class 10) in my 7d without a problem and plug in direct into any device accepting SD acrds.

The slowest UDMA CF card is 3 times faster than a Class 10 SD card and the 7D can write 13 times faster to a UDMA 6 CF card than to a Class 10 SD card.

I'll take one CF card slot over two SD card slots any day!

The only reason I'd want a SD slot is for a Eye-Fi card, add built in WiFi to the camera and ZERO reason for a SD slot in a 7D Mk II.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 6D +23 more
elfroggio
elfroggio MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Apr 1, 2013

TTMartin wrote:

The slowest UDMA CF card is 3 times faster than a Class 10 SD card and the 7D can write 13 times faster to a UDMA 6 CF card than to a Class 10 SD card.

Not really. SD cards are rated for the minimum speed (read or write) while the CF cards are rated for the maximum speed (read or write). But...

In general CF cards are usually faster than SD cards. Both Sandisk and Lexar have CF cards that are faster than any current SD card. This doesn't mean that the camera does support it.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads