Rumor: Possible Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specs

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,548Gear list
Like?
Rumor: Possible Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specs
Mar 29, 2013

Keith over at Northlight Images got some new information about the eagerly awaited Canon EOS 7D Mark II, the successor of the highly popular Canon EOS 7D

Take everything with a grain of salt. The specs are said to be of a test camera, in other words: a prototype Canon is testing. However, the shape and other physical aspects are said to be unlikely to change.

• 21MP APS C
  • ISO 100-25600 (L: 50, H1 51200, H2 102400)
  • 10fps
  • Video ‘stills burst’ mode 30/60 fps
  • Full HD video with manual control
  • Single CF card slot
  • 19 AF Points all cross
  • On chip phase detect pixels for liveview and AF tracking
  • 100% viewfinder
  • Viewfinder LCD higher resolution than 7D
  • 3.2″ LCD
  • GPS, WiFi
  • Alloy body with better weather sealing over 7D

http://www.canonwatch.com/

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_7dmk2.html

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Calliope
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?
Re: Rumor: Possible Canon EOS 7D Mark II Specs
In reply to mailman88, Mar 30, 2013

Sounds very appealing:) I have the tax return set aside and am eagerly awaiting an upgrade.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,449Gear list
Like?

yes this was out a day or 2 ago....and adds to the anticipation.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
mailman88
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, Mar 30, 2013

....Are you happy with the 7DmkII spec's if true?

Of course, these spec's don't mention which DIGIC  Image Processor it will use.

Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Please let them know ASAP, DPR

They are ready to eat their own family members waiting over the new 7D.

A 7D and Bigma pic thru a dirty window...

Ubilam.

Rebecca93
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
Not again!!

Just two weeks ago everyone was on pins and needles anticipating the 60D replacement and ALL THE CANON RUMORS WERE WRONG!!! enjoy the 7D 1 until....who knows?

-- hide signature --

Rebecca

mailman88
Like?
Re: Not again!!
In reply to Rebecca93, Mar 30, 2013

.....the 70D and 7DmkII are NOT RUMORS. They will come, just later than most people want.

Spec's are the problem. Every rumor that comes out, the spec's change.

x-vision
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026
Like?

I saw this rumor yesterday. It's exactly what I'd expect from the 7DII: a refined version of the 7D with a new sensor and other tweaks.

The 7D is already a good camera. All it needs is a better senor, IMO.

I'm hoping that the new sensor will provide 1+ stops cleaner ISO than the 7D. Fingers crossed.
It would be nice, though, if they tweak the 19-point AF system for better sensitivity and accuracy.
I wouldn't mind if they drop the popup flash in favor of Wi-Fi.

With these specs, the price should stay the same as the 7D at introduction - $1700.
Even better if it gets lowered to $1600.

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,449Gear list
Like?
In reply to x-vision, Mar 30, 2013

Mostly I hope it comes soon !

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270Gear list
Like?

It looks like there are probably mutiple prototypes out for testing. The earlier rumor that indicated the new 7D might be more like a 1.6x-crop 1D, with two memory card slots, indicates two quite different prototypes.

I use a pair of 7D cameras at work, for shooting evidentiary images, mostly with a 100mm 2.8L Macro, and a 10-22mm EF-S; they are still quite relevant, so upgrading is not urgent. Cleaner low-light images at higher ISO would be my primary goal. (My evidentiary images must be submitted as JPEGs, with no out-of-camera processing.)

I have recently been experimenting with a newly-acquired, pre-owned, gently-handled 1D Mark II N. Based upon this, and my increasing interest in bird/wildlife photograpghy, I am hoping that Canon does produce a cropped-sensor camera with 1D X features, whether it is in the 7D series, or goes by another name. I would rather see the 1.3x APS-H sensor continue, but 1.6x is acceptable.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +20 more
rickpoole
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
In reply to x-vision, Mar 30, 2013

I'd hope for at least 2 stops better noise, 3+ would be a no brainer.  Adding RF flash support would be great.  Agree better/more consistent AF performance would be a big draw.  Given the size of the body dual card slots would be nice, dual CF or CF and SDXC would be nice.

rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202
Like?

mailman88 wrote:

Keith over at Northlight Images got some new information about the eagerly awaited Canon EOS 7D Mark II, the successor of the highly popular Canon EOS 7D

Take everything with a grain of salt. The specs are said to be of a test camera, in other words: a prototype Canon is testing. However, the shape and other physical aspects are said to be unlikely to change.

• 21MP APS C
  • ISO 100-25600 (L: 50, H1 51200, H2 102400)
  • 10fps
  • Video ‘stills burst’ mode 30/60 fps
  • Full HD video with manual control
  • Single CF card slot
  • 19 AF Points all cross
  • On chip phase detect pixels for liveview and AF tracking
  • 100% viewfinder
  • Viewfinder LCD higher resolution than 7D
  • 3.2″ LCD
  • GPS, WiFi
  • Alloy body with better weather sealing over 7D

I see Canon Rumors rates that at only (CR1) and this older one at (CR2):

"7DII Specifications (CR2)

24.1mp APS-C Sensor
Dual DIGIC V
10fps
Dual Memory Card Slots (Unknown configuration)
61 AF Points (I wonder if we’ll get red focus points in AIS?)
3.2″ LCD
Build quality like 5D3
GPS & Wifi
$2199 ($500 more than the 7D at launch, I’d like to see such a camera come in under $2000)
ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3"

I hope we get the 24Mp version. 19 AF Points all cross is OK with me.

Dan

x-vision
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026
Like?
In reply to altair8800, Mar 30, 2013

altair8800 wrote:

24.1mp APS-C Sensor
Dual DIGIC V
10fps

Canon just announced the SX280 with Digic 6.

You have to agree that a 7DII rumor that says 'Digic 5' is highly questionable at this time  .

Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Then get a 5D or 6D!
In reply to rickpoole, Mar 30, 2013

rickpoole wrote:

I'd hope for at least 2 stops better noise, 3+ would be a no brainer.  Adding RF flash support would be great.  Agree better/more consistent AF performance would be a big draw.  Given the size of the body dual card slots would be nice, dual CF or CF and SDXC would be nice.

Why do so many want more from a 7D when its available already????????

CrazySwiss
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Re: Then get a 5D or 6D!
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 30, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

i just got one; and am very happy with it!

CrazySwiss's gear list:CrazySwiss's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Apple iPhone 4S +1 more
mikero
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
In reply to altair8800, Mar 30, 2013

Maybe the old and more up-market spec is the 7DII and the newer spec is the 70D?

Mike

joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
Re: Then get a 5D or 6D!
In reply to Ubilam, Mar 30, 2013

Ubilam wrote:

rickpoole wrote:

6 fps? For sports and wildlife?

then the 4 fps of my two 5D IIs are nearly as good enough too

Seriously - I am waiting for an all new sensor design from Canon - it's not the question which exact specs the 7D II will have - it is the question if they introduce an all new sensor design since 2004 or so.

All current sensors seem to have a similar per pixel performance at low ISO and my personal guessing is that most of the high ISO performance boost is coming from the processing in the DigiC unit. Thus the wish for a 7D II could also be named: Waiting for a new sensor technology.

I'd tend to believe that 21 or 22 Mpixel for the small APS-C sensor are more then enough pixels for cropping and good resolution large prints. If Canon manages it to get 2 stops S/N advantage over the current per pixel performance on the 7D plus 10 fps plus a better AF system it would surely motivate many to go to the smaller sensor until the same technology is introduced in a FF package. 5D III and 6D offer no real dramatic progress compare to the 5D II sensor. Built in WiFi and GPS are a very fine addition and built in levels too - no doubt.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 13,943Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rexgig0, Mar 30, 2013

Rexgig0 wrote:

It looks like there are probably mutiple prototypes out for testing. The earlier rumor that indicated the new 7D might be more like a 1.6x-crop 1D, with two memory card slots, indicates two quite different prototypes.

I use a pair of 7D cameras at work, for shooting evidentiary images, mostly with a 100mm 2.8L Macro, and a 10-22mm EF-S; they are still quite relevant, so upgrading is not urgent. Cleaner low-light images at higher ISO would be my primary goal. (My evidentiary images must be submitted as JPEGs, with no out-of-camera processing.)

I have recently been experimenting with a newly-acquired, pre-owned, gently-handled 1D Mark II N. Based upon this, and my increasing interest in bird/wildlife photograpghy, I am hoping that Canon does produce a cropped-sensor camera with 1D X features, whether it is in the 7D series, or goes by another name. I would rather see the 1.3x APS-H sensor continue, but 1.6x is acceptable.

Based on the 1Dx, I think it's safe to say we've seen the last of the 1.3x crops.  Any 7D successor is going to be 1.6x crop, nothing else.

Mark

Mark B.'s gear list:Mark B.'s gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +6 more
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 4,726Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Mar 30, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

Based on the 1Dx, I think it's safe to say we've seen the last of the 1.3x crops.  Any 7D successor is going to be 1.6x crop, nothing else.

Mark

I'd still like to see a true APS-H sensor, same height as the APS-C, but, wider for 16X9 video. This would allow a lower profile mirror to maintain compatibility with EF-S lenses (APS-C Crop), but, give full sensor performance with EF lenses.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Robert Sheldon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,002
Like?
In reply to mikero, Mar 30, 2013

I am happy with my 7D.  The only thing that would get me to sping for a 7DII would be f/8 AF.

-- hide signature --

Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at
www.bobsheldon.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads