Looking for Ideas for a Laptop...

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?
Looking for Ideas for a Laptop...
Mar 29, 2013

Greetings all....

Yes... I've done some searching and reading already.  I'm looking for some fresh ideas based on the following needs:

Leaving on a 6 week round the country road trip May 24th.

Will use LR4 and Silver Effex Pro.

Will back up/store on external device

In a good- better- best rating, I don't need best. (although I'm not afraid of spending money for it when needed)

I don't need a calibrated monitor.  On the road I'll be posting to flickr and blogs and such.  Heavy lifting can and will be done at home on my desktop when we get home.

I don't need real fast or cutting edge....

Computing needs other than post processing pictures are minimal.....

Size and weight are secondary considerations.

Budget: Under 2K (top of the line) with a target of 1500 usd (for that really good system).

So that is what I'm working with.  I'm not much into the technical side of computers and I'm not tied into a brand or system.  I'm not interested in a Mac.

Thanks for your time.

Richard

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,828Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for Ideas for a Laptop...
In reply to ESfishdoc, Mar 29, 2013

ESfishdoc wrote:

Greetings all....

Yes... I've done some searching and reading already.  I'm looking for some fresh ideas based on the following needs:

Leaving on a 6 week round the country road trip May 24th.

Will use LR4 and Silver Effex Pro.

Will back up/store on external device

In a good- better- best rating, I don't need best. (although I'm not afraid of spending money for it when needed)

I don't need a calibrated monitor.  On the road I'll be posting to flickr and blogs and such.  Heavy lifting can and will be done at home on my desktop when we get home.

I don't need real fast or cutting edge....

Computing needs other than post processing pictures are minimal.....

Size and weight are secondary considerations.

Budget: Under 2K (top of the line) with a target of 1500 usd (for that really good system).

So that is what I'm working with.  I'm not much into the technical side of computers and I'm not tied into a brand or system.  I'm not interested in a Mac.

Thanks for your time.

Richard

Check here Surface Pro Comments for my comments on the Surface Pro.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ESfishdoc
Like?
In reply to digital ed, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks Ed.  Interesting... looks a bit on the small size for my big hands.  That plus I'm used to a 24 inch screen.  I'm already feeling like a 13 inch screen is on the small side.

R

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,480
Like?
In reply to ESfishdoc, Mar 29, 2013

ESfishdoc wrote:

Your needs are quite modest and I think this will be relatively easy.

Do decide what screen size you can live with. Obviously, photography likes big screens. But when it comes to travel, smaller is better. I decided I could live with 14 inches and I'm glad I did.

You'll probably want an i5 or 17 CPU with 8GB and 64-bit windows.

Laptop discs tend to be slow so using a SSD for the system drive is a really good idea.

Battery life may or may not be an issue for you. Think about that one.

Also think about how you'll carry it -- backpack or whatever, and what might need to share the same bag (two DSLR's and a 600mm lens?).

Do shop the deals -- I use dealnews.com.

Last year, I bought a Lenovo (Y480) with a 14 inch screen, i7, 8GB and a 1TB disc for $800. I spend another $200 on a 256GB mSATA SSD. The screen is not great for photo editing but I do all of that critical work back home so no big deal. Overall, I am thrilled with the system. It's fast, flexible, and compact enough to carry around all day in a cheap backpack. It works for me and I did the whole thing for just about $1000 including a mouse and backpack.

ESfishdoc
Like?
In reply to malch, Mar 30, 2013

Thanks Malch... I'll look into that also...

R

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads