30" Monitor or Dual 24"

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Jazr
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
30" Monitor or Dual 24"
Mar 29, 2013

I need to go to a real calibrated monitor now and have decided to go the Wide Gamut approach.
Now I'm debating whether to get a single Dell U3014 or dual dell U2314.
It's been awhile since I used dual monitors and it was great for video editing.
I'm not sure I'll like it for Lightroom and photoshop, having to bounce my gaze back and forth.
Having no experience using a dual setup for PS and lightroom I'm looking for opinions.
The pixel density is also nice on the 30"
Thoughts?

Birk Binnard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,676
Like?
Re: 30" Monitor or Dual 24"
In reply to Jazr, Mar 29, 2013

I think it's a matter of personal opinion.  I've been using 2 monitors for a long time and would never go back to a single monitor.  I like the ability to move all the various toolbars and button boxes off my main screen so I can maximize the size of the editing image oin my primary screen.  Certainly this requires adjusting to "looking at 2 things at once", but this was not a difficult transition for me and, as I said, I would never go back to a single screen even if it were huge.

Furthermore, my 2 monitors are in opposite orientation - primary is landscape (1920x1200) and secondary is portrait (1050x1680).  This is very nice for viewing text documents (Word and my PDF viewer come up on the portrait screen) and also for anything that has a long list of "Properties" (such as web pages.)  Help screens are also good on the secondary because you can have the Help up and still see everything on the primary.

I also usually have my file manager on the secondary screen all the time, even though it often gets overlayed with other stuff.  It's quite convenient to bring the file manager to the foreground just by clicking on it somewhere in between the various tool boxes that often are in front of it.

My image editing is about 50/50 photos/videos and I am considering adding a 3rd monitor (actually a small LCD TV) as a Preview device simple because TV's seem to have noticeably different display characteristics from LCD monitors.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com/photography;

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,886
Like?
In reply to Jazr, Mar 29, 2013

well, by the time you get to the 30, you're already shifting your eyes left to right anyway.  I think the main gain in the dual 30s is when one is portrait oriented.  Also, with LR, you can have one screen be the preview pane and the other be the thumbnails.  I can quickly scan through the landscapes and then the portrait oriented shots.   You get a lot more pixels out of 2 1920x1200s versus one 2560x1440 or even 1600.

There are some awkwardnesses around the non rectangular total desktop, however.  A wacom would seem more straightforward with a single screen.

robertfel
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jazr, Mar 30, 2013

I'm set up similarly to Birk. But my landscape screen is 30". My portrait screen is an old 20" Dell that I set to 1600x1050 instead of the native 1680x1050, that way my mouse doesn't get caught along the bottom or top since it matches the 2560x1600 of the 30".

Your eyes do go back and forth, but that's the case with just a 30" as well, unless you have a huge desk or mount it on the wall.

My color calibration is for the 30"-er. I use the portrait for File Manager, streaming news, podcasts, email, etc.

If I had to advise b/w only your 2 choices, I'd go 30" in a second, but that's if price is no object. I doubt there will be a sale on that brand new Dell 3014.

robertfel's gear list:robertfel's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
AikenMooney
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?
In reply to Birk Binnard, Mar 30, 2013

+10 to Birk

Birk said " I think it's a matter of personal opinion.  I've been using 2 monitors for a long time and would never go back to a single monitor.  I like the ability to move all the various toolbars and button boxes off my main screen so I can maximize the size of the editing image on my primary screen.  Certainly this requires adjusting to "looking at 2 things at once", but this was not a difficult transition for me and, as I said, I would never go back to a single screen even if it were huge. "

Now for my opinion. 2 24" would be great. I too would never go back to 1 monitor.

P/S and LightRoom are great on 2 monitors. I have used 2 since XP and now have Win 7 64bit.

It does not take an expensive video card and I have never had any problems setting them up.

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jazr, Mar 31, 2013

Jazr wrote:

I need to go to a real calibrated monitor now and have decided to go the Wide Gamut approach.
I'm not sure I'll like it for Lightroom and photoshop, having to bounce my gaze back and forth.
Having no experience using a dual setup for PS and lightroom I'm looking for opinions.
Thoughts?

How about a 27" and a 23" I have been using dual monitor over ten years and my current combo gives me the best I can do

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +52 more
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,901Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark K, Mar 31, 2013

Mark K wrote:

Jazr wrote:

Thoughts?

How about a 27" and a 23" I have been using dual monitor over ten years and my current combo gives me the best I can do

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Same here I use an APPLE 27" 2560x1440 and a DELL 22" 1680x1050. Like some others have mentioned here, there are benefits from having tools and other paraphenalia on an extra screen! Even second hand 19" would be great!

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads