EPL 5 or NEX 5R

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Questions
pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL 5 or NEX 5R
In reply to BlbGB, Apr 1, 2013

i bought the NEX 5R partly for the touch shooting, and i gotta say that while touch focus works fairly well, the 5R's touch shooting is the worst i've used.  it can't be used in all focus modes, and most of the pics i touch shoot are out of focus where virtually all the pics i took by touching my panasonic G3's screen are in focus.

that being said, i find that the stabilization in my 5R and my panasonic m4/3 lenses is more effective for me than was the IBIS in my briefly owned E-PL1.  i'd say i got 90% keepers from the E-PL1 but more like 99% from the panny and sony lenses.  i haven't handled an E-PL5 yet, though.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlbGB, Apr 1, 2013

I keep seeing people mention the Nex5 as faster. I don't have the EPL5 or the Nex, but I do have the OMD with the same sensor as the EPL5, and it's ridiculously fast. Someone earlier mentioned some panasonics faster than the Pens, but I can't really see that, unless it's the GH3. I know my GX1 definitely was slower than the OMD, and it was pretty quick itself.

I don't recall any Nex reviews saying they were faster than the OMD. Is the EPL5 slower than the OMD, despite the same sensor? Or does all the Nex have over them is the the PDAF for tracking? If the Nex is faster than the EPL5, and the EPL5 is as fast as the OMD, then I think that's a moot point... the OMD is blazing fast, and any difference would hardly be noticeable.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
BlbGB
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
A: EPL 5 or NEX 5R
In reply to Chatokun, Apr 1, 2013

Thank you for the replies,

Interesting observation of your experience with IBIS on older PEN. How is users experience with IBIS on EPL 5??

Also sorry about poor touchscreen on 5R, I am heavily leaning Oly way. The touchscreen is good? I have the SZ 31, and am not crazy about the touchscreen on that camera.

BlbGB's gear list:BlbGB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,449
Like?
In reply to Chatokun, Apr 1, 2013

Chatokun wrote:

I keep seeing people mention the Nex5 as faster. I don't have the EPL5 or the Nex, but I do have the OMD with the same sensor as the EPL5, and it's ridiculously fast. Someone earlier mentioned some panasonics faster than the Pens, but I can't really see that, unless it's the GH3. I know my GX1 definitely was slower than the OMD, and it was pretty quick itself.

I don't recall any Nex reviews saying they were faster than the OMD. Is the EPL5 slower than the OMD, despite the same sensor? Or does all the Nex have over them is the the PDAF for tracking? If the Nex is faster than the EPL5, and the EPL5 is as fast as the OMD, then I think that's a moot point... the OMD is blazing fast, and any difference would hardly be noticeable.

I'm not sure what kind of "fast AF" people are talking about here. The fast AF means that when my dog starts running in my direction, the question is how many sharp full size pictures can I get in those 3 seconds from the start to the moment he's licking my lens?

If you need this AF performance, mirrorless are ill-suited for this. The rest is just static objects, and there are little difficulties focusing with practically any camera/lens, both Sony and Olympus are satisfactory. The worst mirrorless I had was Pentax K-01, which slowly turned my large screwdrive lenses. How bad is bad? -- just about 0.5-0.8 sec on average. Does it make any difference for static objects? -- None.

pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, Apr 1, 2013

the lenses on my 5R and with panasonic m4/3 cameras have really good stabilization for me.  the IBIS in my old E-PL1 wasn't as effective for me.  i've read (i think on cameralabs, among other places) that the E-PL5's IBIS gives about 2 1/2 stops - does that sound about right?

i'm also curious about the E-PL5 stabilization compared to the 5R.

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,497Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlbGB, Apr 2, 2013

NEX 5R/6 have wi fi.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
captura
Like?

BlbGB wrote:

BlbGB wrote:

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread with suggestions and replies and input!!

In summation:

Oly EPL 5  Pluses                                                      Sony NEX 5R pluses
OOC JPEG                                                                    focus peaking #

lens selection (cheaper??)                                           faster *

wifi

IBIS                                                                         panorama

Oly PL 5 negative                                                  Sony NEX 5r negative

buttons small?                                                         big with some lenses

low res screen                                                        (get used to this?)

*with fast lens Oly can be as fast or very close to NEX 5R fast

#I have heard you can use an art filter to mimic focus peaking?

thanks!!

Ooops! I see wifi was over on the EPL 5 side that is obviously Sony feature. I am reading some negative things about the wifi though, slow processing... great idea, maybe the next model or the model after that the kinks maybe out of it.

Also someone suggested the Sony 3n (I think this is the model, it is the newest model out) I was disappointed when this came out that it did not have the faster sensor of the 5R and 6, also I am hoping to utilize the flip up screen and actually be in a photo or two with my children. I know I could use a tripod and timer or remote, but I think the flip up screen will be more spontaneous for my kids (ages 6,4,3)

Does anyone else have any input NEX or m4/3

Thanks!!

I have the 5R, which I like very much. It is a huge improvement over my older NEX-3 and my E-PL1, both of which I still have. I really can't see how the E-PL5 can stand up to any sort of comparison; same thing for the Pana. GX-1. Aside from features, the 5R/6/7 performance comparison on DxOMark is superior to the ME-5, or the GH-3's in every category. Just my opinion.

but...I still love the E-PL1 and my G1.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
captura
Like?
In reply to pcake, Apr 2, 2013

Your 5R and my panasonic m4/3 lenses must be stabilized lenses in order for that to work.

pcake wrote:

i bought the NEX 5R partly for the touch shooting, and i gotta say that while touch focus works fairly well, the 5R's touch shooting is the worst i've used.  it can't be used in all focus modes, and most of the pics i touch shoot are out of focus where virtually all the pics i took by touching my panasonic G3's screen are in focus.

that being said, i find that the stabilization in my 5R and my panasonic m4/3 lenses is more effective for me than was the IBIS in my briefly owned E-PL1.  i'd say i got 90% keepers from the E-PL1 but more like 99% from the panny and sony lenses.  i haven't handled an E-PL5 yet, though.

rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,605Gear list
Like?

BlbGB wrote:

I am upgrading from point and shoot. Will be shooting my young kids( indoor and outdoor moving around), macro, and little landscape right now. But am interested in learning more.

From your description of what you shoot, I would look seriously at the Nikon 1 series.

G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,157Gear list
Like?

BlbGB wrote:

I was ready to order the EPL 5, How well does the Olympus do panoramic, I hear Sony does it very well. Both remote flash capable? Focus during video? Anyone else go through this decision making process...

I am upgrading from point and shoot. Will be shooting my young kids( indoor and outdoor moving around), macro, and little landscape right now. But am interested in learning more.

I have a Nikon D90, E-PL5, and GH1, and E-PL5 is what I now use 90% of the time.  Its sensor performance is nearly as good if not better than the one in D90.  I thus expect the sensor in the E-PL5 to be very close to that of the NEX5 and not a real factor to consider.

I don't have a NEX but I can tell you it is pretty easy to do Panorama in E-PL5.  I followed the on screen instruction and later stitch them together in the free included View 2 software.  I am not sure if I can do this w/o the software but it is easy enough so I don't really care.  Video is easy enough to shoot and the results are more than good enough for family use.

I too photograph my two boys, and this is where face detection becomes far more important than the typical AF-tracking that people are talking about, which is not stellar in mirror-less cameras.  The face detection however works wonders to track your kids and if they turn away from the camera and AF will focus on the object closest to you, which usually are your kids.  As a result, you never lose focus.  I know the face detection works well in m4/3, but not sure if it is the same or better than that in the NEX.

Since E-PL5's sensor is really good, I personally will pick a system based on lens selection and the overall size of the whole system that you will carry on a trip.  I think most of us are attracted to the mirrorless b/c they promise to deliver outstanding IQ in a much smaller package.  The physics says that the lens from NEX will always be larger and heavier than those from m4/3 of comparable quality.  As is right now, the m4/3 has better selection of lenses, both prime and zoo, that cover a very large focal length.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads