Portable Device for a Photographer to Show His Work

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Questions
Dionis
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Portable Device for a Photographer to Show His Work
Mar 29, 2013

Greetings,

I am looking for a portable high resolution display (1980 x 1200 or Higher preferred) that I can show potential clients previews of my work. The main feature I am looking for is the ability to use an SD (mini) Card like I would use on a Laptop or Desktop. I would need to display HD Video with quality audio from the memory card or from the internal hard drive. A high end laptop would work but it would be way more expensive and bigger than say a tablet with a 9 inch display like Kindle Fire.

I am curious to know how other photographers / videographers are doing this with the available technology (and budget restraints).

Dionys

Dionis's gear list:Dionis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
ANSWER:
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?
Re: Portable Device for a Photographer to Show His Work
In reply to Dionis, Mar 29, 2013

Dionis wrote:

Greetings,

I am looking for a portable high resolution display (1980 x 1200 or Higher preferred) that I can show potential clients previews of my work. The main feature I am looking for is the ability to use an SD (mini) Card like I would use on a Laptop or Desktop. I would need to display HD Video with quality audio from the memory card or from the internal hard drive. A high end laptop would work but it would be way more expensive and bigger than say a tablet with a 9 inch display like Kindle Fire.

I am curious to know how other photographers / videographers are doing this with the available technology (and budget restraints).

Dionys

I should say, get an Apple iPad with Retina screen, as this is the best quality screen to show images + video. Only for easy exchange of files to the tablet without the bunch of iTunes installed, best to jailbreak the OS.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dionis
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Mar 29, 2013

Dionys

I should say, get an Apple iPad with Retina screen, as this is the best quality screen to show images + video. Only for easy exchange of files to the tablet without the bunch of iTunes installed, best to jailbreak the OS.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Leon,

I just took a look at the specs of the iPad. This would be excellent, but I do not see anything concerning inputs like an SD card in the specs. I want to use it like I would play my rendered videos on my Desktop which is worlds better than showing that same video on YT. Furthermore, I do not want to depend on internet connection.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Mar 29, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

The Nexus 10 may have displayed the iPad (gen 3 on) with even higher resolution.  Both are excellent in this regard.

To the OP, the Ipad does allow you to read off the SD card with the camera kit, which is either a 20 or 30$ expense.  The other feature of the ipad that could be useful is the ability to display the image to an appletv device (airplay).   I believe Android is working out their own form of this as well.

I have the older Asus Transformer Prime that is still at the 1280x720 resolution, but they went on to release a 1920x1080 model and this one does have an sd reader and a usb port built into the detachable keyboard, along with a micro sdhc port on the tablet itself.   You can transfer the images over and then display in the lightweight form.

Dionis
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Mar 29, 2013

I have the older Asus Transformer Prime that is still at the 1280x720 resolution, but they went on to release a 1920x1080 model and this one does have an sd reader and a usb port built into the detachable keyboard, along with a micro sdhc port on the tablet itself.   You can transfer the images over and then display in the lightweight form.

kelp diver,

So you are confirming I can keep video and photo files on a tablet like your Asus and play them back?

What is lightweight form? What platform would be used to play back video? I am used to using Windows Media Player for videos on my hard drive.

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935
Like?
In reply to Dionis, Mar 29, 2013

Dionis wrote:

kelp diver,

So you are confirming I can keep video and photo files on a tablet like your Asus and play them back?

What is lightweight form? What platform would be used to play back video? I am used to using Windows Media Player for videos on my hard drive.

Yes, certainly that is true of the transformer.  I suspect it's true of the other 2 as well.  Having the micro sdhc option gives you a cheap upgrade to capacity.

The Transformer without the keyboard is a tad lighter/thinner than the ipad, I believe.  The keyboard attachment might be half a pound, but then gives you a second battery and a runtime of close to 15 hours.

gscotten
Regular MemberPosts: 461
Like?
In reply to Dionis, Mar 30, 2013

I have a retina iPad. I would love to use it as a portable portfolio, but have yet to find any reasonable way to get pictures on/off it. iTunes only allows you to sync one folder of pictures and you cannot add/remove images on the iPad itself. It will only print to a tiny minority of the newest printers, too. I've had the iPad since June, and everything I have tried to use it for has been a frustrating experience.

It is handy to browse the internet, read books, etc. on the road. It is a great toy, but it doesn't work well as a tool.

Also note that the screen cannot actually be color calibrated. (I know, Datacolor has a color-compensating app, but that is not the same.)

I still use a laptop. The screen is nowhere near as nice and it is a lot heavier, but I can have all my subjects in their own folders. And have all my current photos with me.

-- hide signature --

George

hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,697Gear list
Like?

I've had good luck displaying images from my Zenfolio portfolio on a Kindle Fire and even a Galaxy S3 using the zFolio app. It allows images to pre-download and optimize for your device so you are good even when you don't have internet connection.

Not saying the Kindle Fire is what you want, but I already owned one and it looks pretty good. The BN Nook also allows you to load a microSD card and the display is quite nice.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Dionis
Like?
In reply to gscotten, Mar 30, 2013

gscotten wrote:

I have a retina iPad. I would love to use it as a portable portfolio, but have yet to find any reasonable way to get pictures on/off it. iTunes only allows you to sync one folder of pictures and you cannot add/remove images on the iPad itself. It will only print to a tiny minority of the newest printers, too. I've had the iPad since June, and everything I have tried to use it for has been a frustrating experience.

It is handy to browse the internet, read books, etc. on the road. It is a great toy, but it doesn't work well as a tool.

Also note that the screen cannot actually be color calibrated. (I know, Datacolor has a color-compensating app, but that is not the same.)

I still use a laptop. The screen is nowhere near as nice and it is a lot heavier, but I can have all my subjects in their own folders. And have all my current photos with me.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten,

I really appreciate that information you just shared, because I was thinking it was the best option. So there is no way to transfer data (video and stills) via a usb or something from PC to Tablet I gather. Another reason I would like to use a tablet is for remote operation via WiFi for my Lumix GH3.

Dionis
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Mar 30, 2013

hotdog321 wrote:

I've had good luck displaying images from my Zenfolio portfolio on a Kindle Fire and even a Galaxy S3 using the zFolio app. It allows images to pre-download and optimize for your device so you are good even when you don't have internet connection.

Not saying the Kindle Fire is what you want, but I already owned one and it looks pretty good. The BN Nook also allows you to load a microSD card and the display is quite nice.

hotdog,

I think I would really like the Kindle, but there is at least 2 deal breakers for my purpose. The 1st is I need to display content that will not be on any web site. Furthermore the images from Zenfolio (or any site) have under gone compression from the original file (the quality is diminished). Again video is my priority. The 2nd thing (applies to the Nook  too that I would like otherwise) is I need to install an app for my GH3 camera to control it via WiFi that I think only works with Android and iPad.

I thought this was going to be more straight forward (I was ignorant of Tablet capabilities (inabilities) till now.

wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?

I have a transformer infinity and you can buy, for about $15-20, an adapter with a full-functioned USB port that can be used for card readers, thumb drives, portable hard drives, etc. It is easy to copy photos on/off the tablet using built-in Android utilities that are similar to Windows explorer. I have not tried playing videos on mine. There are a number of Android photo editing programs available. I use Photo Mate which works well for my purposes.

However, some of the new Windows 8 tablets look very attractive to me and I may well go that route in the next couple months.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
vavam
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Mar 30, 2013

http://www.phototransferapp.com/ipad/

Good tool to transfer photos from PC to iPad via WiFi, without need for iTunes and sync.

Leon Obers
Like?
In reply to gscotten, Mar 30, 2013

gscotten wrote:

I have a retina iPad. I would love to use it as a portable portfolio, but have yet to find any reasonable way to get pictures on/off it. iTunes only allows you to sync one folder of pictures and you cannot add/remove images on the iPad itself.

As I wrote in my previous message, the easiest way to break the limitations of the Apple device is to "Jailbreak" it. Afterwards you can hook up USB-devices like hard-drives, keyboard etc.
Do some search options at Youtube and Google with "Jailbreak iPad" as search option:

One of the many explanations and possibilities.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

robertfel
Contributing MemberPosts: 702Gear list
Like?

If they keep the cool digitizer, I'll get a Surface when the new one comes out before Christmas. That would solve all your issues, though the price is probably higher than you'd want.

robertfel's gear list:robertfel's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
Leon Obers
Like?
In reply to vavam, Mar 30, 2013

vavam wrote:

Good tool to transfer photos from PC to iPad via WiFi, without need for iTunes and sync.

Other alternatives:
http://www.digidna.net/diskaid
http://www.macroplant.com
http://www.imacsoft.com/ipod-to-pc-transfer.html

Still you should use iTunes installed, but there is an alternative for that. Just using only some program files of iTunes. The rest don't install.

Download iTunes (for PC). The file is a self extracting rar-file where the extraction is hidden in a temp directory when installing iTunes. But don't install iTunes.
Just download the file and load the file into WINRAR and do extract to a folder of your choice.

The only files you need for proper working are for 32 bit:
- AppleApplicationSupport.msi
- AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi

64 bit
- AppleApplicationSupport.msi
- AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi

After installing these files plus one of the above applications you can exchange files to iPhone / iPad without jailbreaking. (I do use DiskAid for my daughters iPod to back-up her pictures).
--
Leon Obers

barkingghost
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Mar 30, 2013

kelpdiver wrote:

Dionis wrote:

kelp diver,

Yes, certainly that is true of the transformer.  I suspect it's true of the other 2 as well.  Having the micro sdhc option gives you a cheap upgrade to capacity.

The Transformer without the keyboard is a tad lighter/thinner than the ipad, I believe.  The keyboard attachment might be half a pound, but then gives you a second battery and a runtime of close to 15 hours.

I would be wary of the iPad+AppleTV solution. I've done this with the 3rd gen iPad and 3rd gen AppleTV and the problem there is that for connected displays to the Apple TV that have a native 16:9 aspect it will not use the full width.

I originally was testing this as a working solution for my wife as a class room instructor, but since you can't get the iPad to display through the AppleTV full-width (added vertical bars) for the 16:9 projector is was a let down, IMO.

Maybe a jailbroken iPad can do this (as someone else suggested) but that was going outside my scope of interest.

BTW, the 3/3.5 generation iPad have nice resolution and a Retina display, but unless you are sticking your nose up close you may need to question your eyes' ability to resolve that wonderful resolution. The inter-cone/rod is about one arc second, no? That could suggest a viewing distance for the iPad in landscape more of ~1.5 screen widths.

Dionis
Like?
In reply to wildwilly, Apr 1, 2013

wildwilly wrote:

I have a transformer infinity and you can buy, for about $15-20, an adapter with a full-functioned USB port that can be used for card readers, thumb drives, portable hard drives, etc. It is easy to copy photos on/off the tablet using built-in Android utilities that are similar to Windows explorer. I have not tried playing videos on mine. There are a number of Android photo editing programs available. I use Photo Mate which works well for my purposes.

However, some of the new Windows 8 tablets look very attractive to me and I may well go that route in the next couple months.

Wildwilly,

This one looks good (there is a lot to like about it). Amazon Warehouse Deals has it for $385 now with the 30 day return policy. Still looking at other options though.

Thanks,

Dionis
Like?
In reply to vavam, Apr 1, 2013

vavam wrote:

That looks like it only works for still images. Thanks anyways.

Dionis
Like?
In reply to barkingghost, Apr 1, 2013

I would be wary of the iPad+AppleTV solution. I've done this with the 3rd gen iPad and 3rd gen AppleTV and the problem there is that for connected displays to the Apple TV that have a native 16:9 aspect it will not use the full width.

I originally was testing this as a working solution for my wife as a class room instructor, but since you can't get the iPad to display through the AppleTV full-width (added vertical bars) for the 16:9 projector is was a let down, IMO.

Maybe a jailbroken iPad can do this (as someone else suggested) but that was going outside my scope of interest.

BTW, the 3/3.5 generation iPad have nice resolution and a Retina display, but unless you are sticking your nose up close you may need to question your eyes' ability to resolve that wonderful resolution. The inter-cone/rod is about one arc second, no? That could suggest a viewing distance for the iPad in landscape more of ~1.5 screen widths.

I do not own a Mac or Apple TV, so getting an iPad would solely be for the Retina Display. I would want to purchase something that does not need additional tweaking (jailbreak) to function for me.

Thanks again.

Leon Obers
Like?
In reply to Dionis, Apr 1, 2013

Dionis wrote:

vavam wrote:

That looks like it only works for still images. Thanks anyways.

I guess like the other alternatives I did mention in my other message, it also does for movies. My daughter has an iPod touch, and no problem to exchange movie files she made as well.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads