Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
Re: Calling All Collars: 70-200 f/4 VR
In reply to nkistrup, Mar 31, 2013

Like Denis said, it attaches either way. It will screw directly into any tripod head, without any additional plate. I use mine on three different Manfrotto heads. They all screw directly into the Kirk collar, without any other device needed.

-- hide signature --

truview

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nkistrup
Contributing MemberPosts: 963Gear list
Like?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Mar 31, 2013

Denis of Whidbey Island wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

Think I'm missing something: Kirk's collar for the 70-200 f4 lens attaches to a tripod head directly like a quick release plate?  Or does it attach to a plate, which then attached to the tripod head?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=926439&Q=&is=REG&A=details

If it attaches to the tripod head, not a plate that attaches to a head, what sorts of heads have you put it on?

You can see that it has a full-length dovetail to fit an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp, but it is also tapped for standard (3/8"?) tripod-mounting thread. If it is 3/8" you can insert a brass adapter to reduce it to 1/4"-20 standard. No separate plate is required.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

THANKS Denis & Island Golfer!

Summing it up: IF I

1. Change my tripod head to one that uses Arca-Swiss compatible plates &
  2. Get the Kirk collar for the Nikon 70-200 f4 lens

I do NOT need an ADDITIONAL A-S compatible plate between the collar and the tripod's ball head.  Another '+' for selecting Nikon 70-200 f4.

Yes I know that the tripod connection shouldn't dictate lens selection, but will carry lots of weight if it's close!

Niels

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
hikerdoc
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?

nkistrup wrote:

Island Golfer wrote:

Spend the chingwa and buy the one that is designed for it and works correctly.........

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Collar_for_70-200mm_f4G_ED_VR.html

-- hide signature --

truview

How finicky are the tolerances on the quick release plate on the Kirk collar?  Will it work with any A-S compatible quick release ball head?

just make sure you have the screw type clamp on your ballhead as opposed to the lever release QR clamps if you are mixing brands of arca swiss plates as the screw clamps can be tightened on most of them whereas the lever release clamps may have slightly different tolerances specific to their proprietary plates and may not clamp tight to others.

hikerdoc's gear list:hikerdoc's gear list
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +8 more
nkistrup
Like?
In reply to hikerdoc, Mar 31, 2013

hikerdoc wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

Island Golfer wrote:

Spend the chingwa and buy the one that is designed for it and works correctly.........

-- hide signature --

truview

How finicky are the tolerances on the quick release plate on the Kirk collar?  Will it work with any A-S compatible quick release ball head?

just make sure you have the screw type clamp on your ballhead as opposed to the lever release QR clamps if you are mixing brands of arca swiss plates as the screw clamps can be tightened on most of them whereas the lever release clamps may have slightly different tolerances specific to their proprietary plates and may not clamp tight to others.

You worded it the way that I should have!  Yes, that's my concern.  Want to use a lever-type quick release, and aware that they can be finicky.

Looking at the Acratech ball heads, and know that Wimberly plates will work them.  So will the Kirk collar fit in the lever-type Acratech ball head?  And from Denis mentioned, the collar could be screwed to a QR plate, then set on the ball head.

Worst case scenario, send the head back & exchange it for one that works.

Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
hikerdoc
Like?

nkistrup wrote:

hikerdoc wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

Island Golfer wrote:

-- hide signature --

truview

You worded it the way that I should have!  Yes, that's my concern.  Want to use a lever-type quick release, and aware that they can be finicky.

Looking at the Acratech ball heads, and know that Wimberly plates will work them.  So will the Kirk collar fit in the lever-type Acratech ball head?  And from Denis mentioned, the collar could be screwed to a QR plate, then set on the ball head.

From what I have read, Wimberley and RRS plates have same tolerances and will work in lever release clamps from each other. I believe RRS lever clamps will not tightly hold plates from Kirk or Markins. Kirk, Markins, and RRS screw clamps will hold any of them. Markins lever release QR clamps can be adjusted to fit any of the plates but generally are adjusted to fit a specific brand plate, not a routinely recommended field adjustment. I do not know specifically if acratech and Kirk use the same dimensional tolerances (I use Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, and Markins stuff). Kirk and RRS are very friendly and very helpful if you give them a call. I have a RRS replacement foot for the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 which attaches the same as original and is compatible with the clamp on ballhead. I think the kirk collar for the f/4 does not need an additional plate as the foot is the plate and should be Arca-Swiss compatible.

Darrell

Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +8 more
nkistrup
Like?

From what I have read, Wimberley and RRS plates have same tolerances and will work in lever release clamps from each other. I believe RRS lever clamps will not tightly hold plates from Kirk or Markins. Kirk, Markins, and RRS screw clamps will hold any of them. Markins lever release QR clamps can be adjusted to fit any of the plates but generally are adjusted to fit a specific brand plate, not a routinely recommended field adjustment. I do not know specifically if acratech and Kirk use the same dimensional tolerances (I use Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, and Markins stuff). Kirk and RRS are very friendly and very helpful if you give them a call. I have a RRS replacement foot for the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 which attaches the same as original and is compatible with the clamp on ballhead. I think the kirk collar for the f/4 does not need an additional plate as the foot is the plate and should be Arca-Swiss compatible.

Darrell

Thanks Darrell,

Will continue to dig to see if someone has used or tried that combo.  In process of lining up the components for a DSLR, and every little tidbit of info helps. 

Niels

Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
No you do NOT! All Kirk plates are quick release Arca-Swiss compatable

nkistrup wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

Think I'm missing something: Kirk's collar for the 70-200 f4 lens attaches to a tripod head directly like a quick release plate?  Or does it attach to a plate, which then attached to the tripod head?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=926439&Q=&is=REG&A=details

If it attaches to the tripod head, not a plate that attaches to a head, what sorts of heads have you put it on?

You can see that it has a full-length dovetail to fit an Arca-Swiss compatible clamp, but it is also tapped for standard (3/8"?) tripod-mounting thread. If it is 3/8" you can insert a brass adapter to reduce it to 1/4"-20 standard. No separate plate is required.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

THANKS Denis & Island Golfer!

Summing it up: IF I

1. Change my tripod head to one that uses Arca-Swiss compatible plates &
  2. Get the Kirk collar for the Nikon 70-200 f4 lens

I do NOT need an ADDITIONAL A-S compatible plate between the collar and the tripod's ball head.  Another '+' for selecting Nikon 70-200 f4.

Yes I know that the tripod connection shouldn't dictate lens selection, but will carry lots of weight if it's close!

Niels

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
hikerdoc
Like?

nkistrup wrote:

Darrell

Thanks Darrell,

Will continue to dig to see if someone has used or tried that combo.  In process of lining up the components for a DSLR, and every little tidbit of info helps. 

Niels

It appears that the Acra Tech QR lever clamps do have an adjusting knob which should allow use of plates from various manufacturers, i.e. Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, Markins.

Darrell

JOrmsby
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
In reply to emax, Mar 31, 2013

Just curious, how do you like the Nikon 70-200 compared to the Canon version? I've heard varying reports about the sharpness. Thanks,

j

JOrmsby's gear list:JOrmsby's gear list
Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +2 more
nkistrup
Like?

Thanks again Darrell.

nkistrup
Like?
Re: No you do NOT! All Kirk plates are quick release Arca-Swiss compatable
In reply to Oscarroos, Mar 31, 2013

Let me clarify the last comment: All other things being equal, the existence, not necessarily inclusion of, a quality collar (e.g. Kirk, RRS), is a major plus for a given lens.

Think it was Kuppenbender in the Accessories forum, told me supporting the weight of the lens is not enough.  A collar that locks the lens down, will decrease the vibrations, resulting is fewer fuzzy pictures.  (He didn't use those exact words, but that's the gist of it.)

emax
Senior MemberPosts: 1,891
Like?
In reply to JOrmsby, Apr 1, 2013

JOrmsby wrote:

Just curious, how do you like the Nikon 70-200 compared to the Canon version? I've heard varying reports about the sharpness.

It's hard to compare the 2 directly, as I used the Canon verson on a FF 12MP 5D, whereas I'm using the Nikon on a DX 16MP D7000.

The Canon performed well throughout, but I thought its sharpness suffered a bit at close range.

From the limited testing I've done with the Nikon, it's sharper than my 70-200/2.8 VR1 at f/8.  Tomorrow, I'll test them at wider apertures.

I wish I had an FX body to test the outer part of the image circle.

Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
In reply to hikerdoc, Apr 1, 2013

hikerdoc wrote:

Darrell

FWIW, my RRS BH-40 worked just fine with my Kirk L-bracket.   I get the feeling that those issues are in the past, among the major players anyway...

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
D Knisely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652
Like?
In reply to Enthusiast Photographer, Apr 1, 2013

Enthusiast Photographer wrote:

hikerdoc wrote:

Darrell

FWIW, my RRS BH-40 worked just fine with my Kirk L-bracket.   I get the feeling that those issues are in the past, among the major players anyway...

No, unfortunately the tolerances are not what they should be and "A-S" isn't really a precise standard.  The lever clamps just can't be adjusted to work well with all plates.  I work around it by placing some gaffer tape on the edges of the thinner plates to allow my plates to attach to a friend's lever-clamp (yes, the difference between "A-S" plates is that much!).  I have a screw clamp, but only out of laziness (it came with my Markins ballhead, which I hate, but am totally stuck with).

Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Knisely, Apr 1, 2013

D Knisely wrote:

hikerdoc wrote:

Darrell

No, unfortunately the tolerances are not what they should be and "A-S" isn't really a precise standard.  The lever clamps just can't be adjusted to work well with all plates.  I work around it by placing some gaffer tape on the edges of the thinner plates to allow my plates to attach to a friend's lever-clamp (yes, the difference between "A-S" plates is that much!).  I have a screw clamp, but only out of laziness (it came with my Markins ballhead, which I hate, but am totally stuck with).

Lemme see if I can parse that sentence:

1. You are stuck with the Markins head
  2. You hate the Markins head
  3. Were you less lazy, you'd change to a lever clamp on the Markins

Is that an accurate decryption?

Denis

-- hide signature --

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +7 more
D Knisely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652
Like?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Apr 2, 2013

D Knisely wrote:

hikerdoc wrote:

Darrell

Lemme see if I can parse that sentence:

1. You are stuck with the Markins head
  2. You hate the Markins head
  3. Were you less lazy, you'd change to a lever clamp on the Markins

Is that an accurate decryption?

Denis

Hehe...  I wouldn't invest any money in the Markins head.  I would get a ballhead that I liked, but I suspect I might stick with the less convenience screw clamp because of my experiences with lever-style clamps not being adjustable for all uses without fiddling.

My gripe with the Markins (M10) is that I've never been able to adjust it so that it would hold a position but also allow motion the way a proper ballhead is supposed to work (with any lens).  It also always droops slightly after any adjustment (immediately, then it is stable).  It is solid and stable, however.  It is just hard to adjust.

Denis of Whidbey Island
Like?
In reply to Enthusiast Photographer, Apr 9, 2013

By the way, RRS told me earlier this week that they'd be shipping orders starting early next week.

No sign of my order. Did yours arrive?

Denis

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +7 more
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 549Gear list
Like?
In reply to emax, Apr 9, 2013

I have got the "has a hexagonal screw, and is stamped with the word "REIYI"" collar.

I found it difficult to turn lens in the collar. On investigation the collar is not precisely circular - ie its oval. When I get round to it I am going to attempt to correct collar using vice (or hammer!!).  It was worth the risk due to low price so I don't feel too aggrieved.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +8 more
Denis of Whidbey Island
Like?
RRS availability
In reply to justin_time, Apr 16, 2013

Checked with RRS today and got this response:

I’ve just confirmed we got the first batch in today, so those will start shipping tomorrow. So far they’re not giving us any information on the next batch numbers/dates, but this first one is a drop in the bucket of a long pre-order list as you can imagine.

Feel free to check back later this week for more info.

Jim Weise

_________

Really Right Stuff, LLC

So, at least they are starting to ship.

-- hide signature --

eajames
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: RRS availability
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Apr 16, 2013

I'd be somewhat surprised if I wasn't the first to order through their site - I placed an order within minutes of the pre-order link going live.  It's been a long "3-4 weeks" but this time tomorrow I should have a shipping notification.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads