SSD performance

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,744
Like?
AHCI, how to tell..
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 11, 2013

My HP laptop does not have a bios setting for this, it is automatic and it does support it.
If your new laptop has intell rapid storage support, you can look at the drives under advanced. One of the functions of AHCI is NCQ or Native Command Queuing. So if you seen NCQ support, it is running in AHCI. See below. This way you can tell if you are using AHCI. Realize, there are some drives like the Kingston SSDs that do not support AHCI and some drive and controller combinations like OZC and some versions of the Jmicron controller, but these are older units most everything new supports AHCI

DPR is not working right, if this image does not display, click on view original.

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

malch wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

What do you think?

I think AHCI is probably working, notwithstanding the info from Magician (which I'm now inclined not to trust).

You could try this storage controller driver. I think it may give slightly faster results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=22194&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29&lang=eng

Thanks!

I will try this driver and hope it may help in something.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tareq Abdulla
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: AHCI, how to tell..
In reply to Richard, Apr 12, 2013

Richard wrote:

My HP laptop does not have a bios setting for this, it is automatic and it does support it.
If your new laptop has intell rapid storage support, you can look at the drives under advanced. One of the functions of AHCI is NCQ or Native Command Queuing. So if you seen NCQ support, it is running in AHCI. See below. This way you can tell if you are using AHCI. Realize, there are some drives like the Kingston SSDs that do not support AHCI and some drive and controller combinations like OZC and some versions of the Jmicron controller, but these are older units most everything new supports AHCI

DPR is not working right, if this image does not display, click on view original.

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

malch wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

What do you think?

I think AHCI is probably working, notwithstanding the info from Magician (which I'm now inclined not to trust).

You could try this storage controller driver. I think it may give slightly faster results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=22194&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel%C2%AE+RST%29&lang=eng

Thanks!

I will try this driver and hope it may help in something.

Thank you very much!

Checked it and it says Yes for NCQ

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?
Re: SSD performance
In reply to malch, Apr 12, 2013

malch wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

No Success, i did modify in Registry and still i can't find anything about AHCI, not in Bios and not in Device Manager, and Samsung Magicion keep sayinf that AHCI is disabled.

I think that's a bug in Samsung Magician!

I had the same issue here with a 840 Pro on my old machine. Magician said AHCI was disabled but my BIOS and operating system said it was enabled.

Hi. Was not following this thread for a longer time. I see Tareq Abdulla has bought a new laptop.

As for the yes or no AHCI showing up within Samsung Magician I can state this "flaw". Also that Magician is not saying anything about the SATA port. By first fresh install, everything is alright. But e.g. as soon if you run Intel RST and make a RAID set, the Magician software can not handle the different settings anymore made by Intel RST and doesn't show these settings.
But using AHCI or not using AHCI, makes not that big difference for an SSD in my opinion. Only some minor shift from e.g. better read to better write performance or visa versa.
I am still experimenting with SSD performance for drivers etc. Strange but when using the Intel RST software, you can set two SSD's to RAID-0 functionality, in spite the BIOS is not set to RAID, but AHCI. It works in both BIOS settings. However there is just some shift in performance from write to read.
In spite I get very high performance as RAID-0 set (I just let show you more beneath), it has less to do with fast booting up of a system.

As for fast boot-up of the system, one driver or the other, using AHCI or not, is not the real limit factor. It has to do with all kind of other start-up controls and checks. Just make use of other boot-options as wrote before, already long time ago, as a combination of written cache to a part of the SSD area that is used by hibernate options. First URL in that message:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51184180

As for the fastness, just see some differences only by drivers and settings.
I made two sequential test after each other. So left screen and right screen is the same setting, test only done a second time. As every test is already a balance of 5 tests each, the total are the figures of ten tests.

2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro set as RAID-0
(desktop, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, i7 3770k, 16Gb RAM, Win8)
Unfortunately by some dpreview. server problems, at this moment, images don't show up. hope later.

New install of the system, right drivers. Drivers installed under BIOS "AHCI-mode", in spite of that Intel RST used for installing Samsung SSD's as RAID-0, afterwards BIOS set to RAID.
Read above 1100 Mb/s

Little change by read and write values, I believe made by "Superfetch/Prefetch" optimization (Intel SSD toolbox). Less read speed, more high values for writing seq + 512K blocks

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Tareq Abdulla
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Apr 12, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

malch wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

No Success, i did modify in Registry and still i can't find anything about AHCI, not in Bios and not in Device Manager, and Samsung Magicion keep sayinf that AHCI is disabled.

I think that's a bug in Samsung Magician!

I had the same issue here with a 840 Pro on my old machine. Magician said AHCI was disabled but my BIOS and operating system said it was enabled.

Hi. Was not following this thread for a longer time. I see Tareq Abdulla has bought a new laptop.

As for the yes or no AHCI showing up within Samsung Magician I can state this "flaw". Also that Magician is not saying anything about the SATA port. By first fresh install, everything is alright. But e.g. as soon if you run Intel RST and make a RAID set, the Magician software can not handle the different settings anymore made by Intel RST and doesn't show these settings.
But using AHCI or not using AHCI, makes not that big difference for an SSD in my opinion. Only some minor shift from e.g. better read to better write performance or visa versa.
I am still experimenting with SSD performance for drivers etc. Strange but when using the Intel RST software, you can set two SSD's to RAID-0 functionality, in spite the BIOS is not set to RAID, but AHCI. It works in both BIOS settings. However there is just some shift in performance from write to read.
In spite I get very high performance as RAID-0 set (I just let show you more beneath), it has less to do with fast booting up of a system.

As for fast boot-up of the system, one driver or the other, using AHCI or not, is not the real limit factor. It has to do with all kind of other start-up controls and checks. Just make use of other boot-options as wrote before, already long time ago, as a combination of written cache to a part of the SSD area that is used by hibernate options. First URL in that message:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51184180

As for the fastness, just see some differences only by drivers and settings.
I made two sequential test after each other. So left screen and right screen is the same setting, test only done a second time. As every test is already a balance of 5 tests each, the total are the figures of ten tests.

2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro set as RAID-0
(desktop, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, i7 3770k, 16Gb RAM, Win8)
Unfortunately by some dpreview. server problems, at this moment, images don't show up. hope later.

New install of the system, right drivers. Drivers installed under BIOS "AHCI-mode", in spite of that Intel RST used for installing Samsung SSD's as RAID-0, afterwards BIOS set to RAID.
Read above 1100 Mb/s

Little change by read and write values, I believe made by "Superfetch/Prefetch" optimization (Intel SSD toolbox). Less read speed, more high values for writing seq + 512K blocks

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Thank you very much for your detailed input.

Well, i am happy with my new laptop, it is not the fastest but it is not slow at all, and i have to get used to it, maybe there is something i can't tell about laptops and why i can't get faster boot or if i don't know how to modify my computer, it is better to keep things as it is than i corrupt something and regret it just because i want a faster boot up time, i will build a desktop computer in the future i hope soon then that will be something else i can experiment with.

I don't know if the type of SSD can do any change for booting time, i changed laptop but using same SSD i use on the old laptop but i formatted and installed clean Windows 7 again, so maybe this Samsung SSD is not that great on this laptop performance, it may shine for desktop and another laptop, so should i try another SSD brand and see if that may do any difference?!!!

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Leon Obers
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 12, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

I don't know if the type of SSD can do any change for booting time, i changed laptop but using same SSD i use on the old laptop but i formatted and installed clean Windows 7 again, so maybe this Samsung SSD is not that great on this laptop performance, it may shine for desktop and another laptop, so should i try another SSD brand and see if that may do any difference?!!!

I doubt that as this moment another SSD do get better results. The Samsung 840 Pro is one of the fastest in the market now for normal desktop or laptop.
As written, it is a combination of the other optional Intel utilities to use.
(It is suggested over and over also by other users within this thread).

Some images placed by malch suggest he is using these cache settings / hibernate combination of the Intel RST toolbox, to boot up fast. I only do use the RAID option, not that cache option. In spite of those amazing speed above 1000 Mb/s at RSID-0, boot-up without that cache setting is just "slow" when I have installed an OS to that RAID-drive.

But yes, loading an image into Photoshop CS6, an 2x3 meter big image (300 dpi / 3x 16 bit) ----> file 4.9 Gb, is loaded within 5 seconds.

However using the RAID drive for Photoshop cache (set within Photoshop), PLUS loading files from the same RAID drive, these tremendous speeds are to much to combine for the PC system itself (Photoshop cache also is writing to the drive at the same time). The combination writing cache / reading data file failed a second time, crashing Windows. Setting  Photoshop cache to another SSD, and only reading or only writing files to the fast RAID drive is not a problem.

So every advantage has it hassle and disadvantages.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,558
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Apr 12, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

Some images placed by malch suggest he is using these cache settings / hibernate combination of the Intel RST toolbox, to boot up fast.

No RAID or hibernate here. Nor do I use Intel SRT.

I completely disable hibernate on my desktop machines. I do keep it active on my laptop but that's mainly for battery conservation.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,558
Like?
Re: AHCI, how to tell..
In reply to Richard, Apr 12, 2013

Richard wrote:

If your new laptop has intell rapid storage support, you can look at the drives under advanced. One of the functions of AHCI is NCQ or Native Command Queuing.

Great tip re NCQ. Thanks.

The Free edition of HDTune will also display the NCQ status of each drive. This is a handy little utility that I place on all of my systems:

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Leon Obers
Like?
In reply to malch, Apr 12, 2013

malch wrote:

Leon Obers wrote:

Some images placed by malch suggest he is using these cache settings / hibernate combination of the Intel RST toolbox, to boot up fast.

No RAID or hibernate here. Nor do I use Intel SRT.

I completely disable hibernate on my desktop machines. I do keep it active on my laptop but that's mainly for battery conservation.

Apologize. I mixed up with a message from Richard << HERE >>

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Tareq Abdulla
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 13, 2013

Thanks for all the help!

The new laptop maybe not that much great, but it has some advantages over the my Dell laptop, one advantage is it has 2 SATA3 for RAID and also it has BD instead of DVD R/W, even the design of this new laptop is more elegant than the Dell one, so i should get used to it until one day in the future maybe after 2 years i can get something new.

Now for the building a PC, i know which CPU[processor] and almost the motherboard i will get, also which SSD, but i don't know which graphic card[GPU] and power supply unit to get, even not sure which memory card to go with [i was thinking to start with 16GB then later can upgrade more if i need], should i start a new thread here about building a PC or not? It will be for long term, means games and anything later, some will tell me to go with cheap good units, but honestly i was thinking with highest fastest units available now so i never look back, but i am open to many recommendations and will see what you all think, forget about the budget because i can save and spend enough for a powerful beast machine if needed.

Leon Obers
Like?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 13, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:
should i start a new thread here about building a PC or not?

It's a quite different subject, so I should suggest to start a new thread.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Tareq Abdulla
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Apr 13, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:
should i start a new thread here about building a PC or not?

It's a quite different subject, so I should suggest to start a new thread.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Ah ok, i will start it immediately then, thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads