X100s... love at first sight :)

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
X100s... love at first sight :)
Mar 29, 2013

When the X100 was released, I wrote here I'd wait for the second release. So I did, and now I got the X100s. Focus speed, manual focus, colors, high iso, ease of use: all double check.

Just love it!

PS. You could say what a dumb post, but I don't care. This little camera does exactly what I had my Konica Hexar and Leica for 20 years ago and I just wanted to share my joy

-- hide signature --

Nikon NPS member
D3s/D800/D600/60Da/X100s

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tombell1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,851Gear list
Like?
Re: X100s... love at first sight :)
In reply to Dominique Dierick, Mar 29, 2013

Great Dominique ... looking forward to seing some of your photographs !!

-- hide signature --
 tombell1's gear list:tombell1's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
svx94
Senior MemberPosts: 2,289Gear list
Like?
Would you educate me something please...

I am not a Pro but a gear head.  I use cameras mainly for travel pictures, and sometime portraits and macros.  I never understand the idea of having a fix 35mm or 50mm lens for a camera.  Is that too restrictive?  I understand that prime lens has larger aperture for better bokeh, but that's for special occasions, right?

svx94's gear list:svx94's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +9 more
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you educate me something please...
In reply to svx94, Mar 29, 2013

technical considerations aside...

visit your local art museum...  you will see colorful landscapes... and paintings done in muted single or two color processes... and you will see charcoal drawings... not to mention pencil drawings, paint applied by pallet knives, brushes, tossed by hand, etc.   It's all GOOOD as they say and the same goes for photography.  A fixed single focal length lens helps the "artist" stretch other aspects of creativity to create his or her vision.

Also keep in mind that more than 90% of the greatest photos taken in the entire history of photography were shot with a fixed focal length lens!

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
jsjjnbrunk
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Re: X100s... love at first sight :)

Dominique Dierick wrote:

When the X100 was released, I wrote here I'd wait for the second release. So I did, and now I got the X100s. Focus speed, manual focus, colors, high iso, ease of use: all double check.

Just love it!

PS. You could say what a dumb post, but I don't care. This little camera does exactly what I had my Konica Hexar and Leica for 20 years ago and I just wanted to share my joy

-- hide signature --

Nikon NPS member
D3s/D800/D600/60Da/X100s

I don't think this is a dumb post at all. Quite the opposite, in fact.

IMHO the sheer mass of hyper-technical dumpster-diving is overshadowing the ergonomic beauty of the X100S.  I think the term "retro" has been misapplied in many cases to speak more to the camera's appearance than to its wonderful interface.

Your post re-grounds the discussion on the pleasure ofusing this camera as opposed todissectingit.

jeb

Felts
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
In reply to svx94, Mar 29, 2013

35mm is a perfect focal length for close candid shots. Wider than the human eye it can bring in the surroundings to give context, but it is not too wide so that subjects are lost in the image.

When I 'zoom with my feet' then the process of framing by moving back or forward by small steps becomes an integral and enjoyable process... You've got to sometimes work for a satisfying image.

Perhaps most importantly, when you just use one focal length it allows the photographer to know what will appear in the frame before the camera is raised to their eye. This helps with the intuitive nature of 'seeing the shot'.

I only use primes for the above reasons...

And to the OP... Congrats on your X100s, I'm slightly jealous but still veryhappy with my X100 & XP1 

-- hide signature --
 Felts's gear list:Felts's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to svx94, Mar 30, 2013

And another thing.

When you use a  fixed angle of view for a while, you begin to see in that angle of view. You hcan pre-visualize and know where to stand instead of thinking about what focal length to switch too. This is great training to develop a style.

For travel if you want to document things then I agree a single focal length is restrictiveoh but for travel where you want to document people, a single focal length would not be restrictive (for me anyway).

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
Hulamike
Senior MemberPosts: 2,810
Like?
You're Not Alone
In reply to Dominique Dierick, Mar 30, 2013

you're not alone. both Zack Arias and David Hobby are touting it as the new Leica. The images at zacks site are wliterally mind blowing. I was one of the people who laughed out loud at the X100. I'm now in line for the X100s.

Read this. It's hilarious and incite-full all at once.

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100s-review-a-camera-walks-into-a-bar/

svx94
Senior MemberPosts: 2,289Gear list
Like?
Thank you for the enlightment!
In reply to svx94, Mar 30, 2013

I can imaging when you developed your own style and "specialized" eye to see the world, the quality of work comes out.  Again, I am not a pro and certainly not there... I did notice that my landscape photos fall mostly into several focal length, 35mm is the largest portion; with 80-100mm follows.

Thanks again for the education!

svx94's gear list:svx94's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads