Future of Pentax?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
Re: The Pentax FF is coming
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Mar 30, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

You'll be using those A* lenses with pride. However, don't forget that when the FF comes out, only then, you, and many people, will truly understand the value of an excellent camera like the K5IIs.

Yeah, but then they will be complaining about the softness of the edges, vignetting, CA, and other things that have been cropping since going digital.  

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spqr_ca
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
FF isn't how they'll survive
In reply to noel2, Mar 30, 2013

noel2 wrote:

But, if Pentax does not follow the trend to use The FF sensors that are becoming available, and capitalize on its older experience, I am very pessimistic as to the future of the company to keep a good place in the current market.

Even with the relatively low cost D600 and 6D options from Nikon and Canon, the FF segment of the market is tiny. Net effect, Pentax isn't going to live or die on this.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
+1
In reply to ozdean, Mar 30, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Noel we have 2 cameras that are competing with most FF bodies at 2/3 of the price & weight, I really can't see why you are so depressed - you need to get out and take some stunners!

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

Exactly Oz!

Lets face it, we are absolutely spoilt when you think about it. Some people need to get out there and actually enjoy it!

If you aren't getting good photographs a FF won't help, it is your fault and not the equipment. Like I said before join a club (if you can) and arrange some field trips.

I'm off to the mountains today in the deep snow.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to BobORama, Mar 30, 2013

BobORama wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

You'll be using those A* lenses with pride. However, don't forget that when the FF comes out, only then, you, and many people, will truly understand the value of an excellent camera like the K5IIs.

Yeah, but then they will be complaining about the softness of the edges, vignetting, CA, and other things that have been cropping since going digital.  

LOL and they will be complaining about not having enough reach then more complaining about whatever!

I can't understand why they don't actually just wait until you can buy it and use a film camera in the meantime. Time spent on the film camera is worth a lot and you will learn a lot especially if you buy one like I did which doesn't even have an exposure meter!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Xiaomao
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164Gear list
Like?
Re: Future of Pentax?

Could anyone list top 3 (or 4) "excellent A* Pentax lenses"?
Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Yang

Xiaomao's gear list:Xiaomao's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Pentax K-5 IIs
JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
Canon EOS-M only
In reply to Rod McD, Mar 30, 2013

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/adapters/adapter-finder/

No adapter EOS Camera/K Lens

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS-M only. Not so - check again
In reply to JL Salvignol, Mar 30, 2013

Sorry, but before I wrote my response to Noel I googled "adapters Pentax lens to Canon DSLR" and checked eBay.  There are dozens of ads for adapters for PK lens to EOS EF mount, with and without chip and data contacts, and ranging in price from about $10 - $40+.  The ads indicate that they are designed to mount a PK lens on Canon DSLRs.  Have a look.......

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291Gear list
Like?
In reply to Xiaomao, Mar 30, 2013

Suggest you take a look at Pentax Forum's lens data base - every Pentax lens (including the A series primes) is listed there. (I can't give you the link - it's barred by DPR).  All the A* lenses are excellent lenses with great reputations.  Some of the humble A's without the * are also very good lenses - eg the standards, macros, the A20mm 2.8, 100mm/2.8.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,165Gear list
Like?
SMC Pentax A* 135mm F1.8 // A*85 F1.4 // A*200 F2.8

Xiaomao wrote:

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Yang

Those are all great lenses for film.

In digital people mmay find them a bit soft, but that's because taste has changed.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
Cameraquest : K / Canon EF-S = APS-C
In reply to Rod McD, Mar 30, 2013

NEW Pentax K to Canon Digital EF-S Mount EOS! ORDER HERE

Pentax K Lenses!  to EOS EFS Bodies $199  Sale $175

NO Glass in adapter to degrade image. Manual operation like the other EOS lens adapters.  Many believed this adapter was impossible to make without glass elements.   This adapter is NOT for EOS film cameras, or larger format EOS digital cameras.  It is for EOS EF-S mount digital cameras

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Underdog 3000, Mar 30, 2013

Underdog 3000 wrote:

Once and a while I blame my gear for lack of a good shot.

Then I will check out the recent winners of challenges (soom shot w. a P&S) and realize that I am the problem.

Chuckle! I know the feeling.

I have a Pentax Q and I can't decide whether it is a toy or a serious camera. So I've been testing the print quality I can get printing at A3+. With a lot of care I can get credible results, although I think that size is really too large.

The point is that if the Q can do that, my K-IIs can (and does) do vastly better. Getting sharp results at A3+ after some cropping is nearly routine. Producing web-sized images is much easier than that.

If/when Pentax have a "full-frame" (out-of-date term) digital camera, I may get one, but I can't really say I need one. And when I'm walking around all day carry enough photo-gear for the shoot, and perhaps getting rained on, I'm pretty pleased to be shooting with a Pentax APSC.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,931
Like?
In reply to Simon Devlin, Mar 30, 2013

Simon Devlin wrote:

I can't understand why they don't actually just wait until you can buy it and use a film camera in the meantime. Time spent on the film camera is worth a lot and you will learn a lot especially if you buy one like I did which doesn't even have an exposure meter!

I shot over 700 frames yesterday afternoon -   I was using an FA 50, and FA 77 LTD and a Tokina 28mm K (not even A series) . There were years in my film shooting career where I didn't shoot that many frames.

Then there were the images which were compromised because I bought cheap film to save money because I was shooting a lot. I only use memory cards once and file them, and 700 shots costs me about the same as 2 rolls of film and processing.

Then there are the places where I lost shots or broke the flow because I had to swap recording medium more often the cameras wasn't ready, or the medium wasn't loaded properly (yes I have gone out with no memory card in my digital camera, but I had more film load failures).  And a settings mistake with the camera didn't show up until the film came back from the lab.

And a film print is only as good as the enlarging lens which makes it. Scanning some of my old prints shows just how soft poor some of the labs I used were (and the hand made prints I paid a premium for are noticable better). You always lose some resolution and sharpness making a print which is why my APS-C prints beat my 35 mm prints

If you shoot film you have to scan it to use a "digital darkroom" or work with a wet darkroom and though B&W is easy , colour is difficult to master.

So I think everyone can learn a lot about photography from film, but going back from a K5 (Or frankly a K10D) to film ? Every now and then I see Pentax 645 film cameras going for next-to-nothing on ebay and I think "I could buy one of those" and realise that I'm sentimental for the days of film but I don't really want to shoot it again.

noel2
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?
Re: SMC Pentax A* 135mm F1.8 // A*85 F1.4 // A*200 F2.8
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Mar 30, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Xiaomao wrote:

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Yang

Those are all great lenses for film.

In digital people mmay find them a bit soft, but that's because taste has changed.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

I agree with you concerning the 3 lenses. They perform very well with my K-5.

What annoys most me is the fact that retailers (in Switzerland, at least) are removing Pentax from their catalogues.

TimHar
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

I understand you concern about future of Pentax. I would like to add that many third party lens makers are leaving Pentax like: Zeiss, Voigtlaender even Tamron does not make the latest models in Pentax mount. I have Pentax K-5 and I like it a lot, for the next year I'm fine with K-5 and in future I expect and I want a Pentax FF camera. I don't understand why are some guys here so upset and angry if FF and more pixels are mentioned. Forgive me my English.

Cheers!

Manituwa
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?

The APS-C K-3 will be here in April.  They'll show their FF in the fall (most likely available early next year).  That is my prognostication, and I'll predict further that even when these things come true that we'll find fault with what Pentax has done.  I for one think their vision is spot on considering the size of the company, but then I don't see a FF in my near future - prognostically speaking.

-- hide signature --

R A Roberts

Manituwa's gear list:Manituwa's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs +17 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,471Gear list
Like?
In reply to TimHar, Mar 30, 2013

TimHar wrote:

I understand you concern about future of Pentax.

It might be understandable, but fortunately it's not well-founded. I don't see see - for example - any FF trend, APS-C is and will remain mainstream for many years; likewise, I don't see any trend of retailers leaving Pentax (and I'm talking 2012-2013 here).

I would like to add that many third party lens makers are leaving Pentax like: Zeiss, Voigtlaender even Tamron does not make the latest models in Pentax mount.

We should not forget this happened when Pentax belonged to Hoya; cost cutting, downsizing, being prepared to be sold - one doesn't gain market share this way Things are changing now, for the better; but it's a long, difficult road.

The global economic climate didn't help, either; I'd guess it was harder for niche 3rd-party lens makers like Zeiss and Voigtlander to support all but the highest volume mounts. The K-mount should be especially difficult for them, as we have the excellent, well-crafted Limiteds.

I have Pentax K-5 and I like it a lot, for the next year I'm fine with K-5 and in future I expect and I want a Pentax FF camera. I don't understand why are some guys here so upset and angry if FF and more pixels are mentioned.

Who is upset and angry about Pentax making a FF? Which will most likely happen, as Pentax started talking about it; just not in the immediate future.

Cheers!

Have fun,

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Mr Darma
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: Future of Pentax?200mm A* F4 macro...rumour is that the FA* version is even better.
In reply to Manituwa, Mar 30, 2013
No text.
James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,931
Like?
In reply to Manituwa, Mar 30, 2013

Manituwa wrote:

The APS-C K-3 will be here in April.  They'll show their FF in the fall (most likely available early next year).  That is my prognostication, and I'll predict further that even when these things come true that we'll find fault with what Pentax has done.

If we're going to make guesses. I think Pentax will reveal a new top end APS-C camera in April and that will be the summit of APS-C for them. Not the last - we will see cost reduced APS-C cameras for a good few years yet.  But it will be last flagship camera to use an APS-C size sensor.

My hunch is they will make FF announcements at the same time these will be

• What current lenses will work properly with FF
  • Lenses for FF which will be [Re]introduced over the next year
  • A FF compatible 1.4x TC
  • A prototype  FF camera on show with availablity near the end of the year.

The putative new APS-C will have a new PRIME chip with the focus peaking and Video ability of the K30 and K01 and the 14 bit depth of the K5/K5 II , and this chip will also Power the 645D-II and the FF camera. The 645D-II will launch between the new APS-C and the FF.

Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to James O'Neill, Mar 30, 2013

James O'Neill wrote:

Simon Devlin wrote:

I shot over 700 frames yesterday afternoon -   I was using an FA 50, and FA 77 LTD and a Tokina 28mm K (not even A series) . There were years in my film shooting career where I didn't shoot that many frames.

Then there were the images which were compromised because I bought cheap film to save money because I was shooting a lot. I only use memory cards once and file them, and 700 shots costs me about the same as 2 rolls of film and processing.

Then there are the places where I lost shots or broke the flow because I had to swap recording medium more often the cameras wasn't ready, or the medium wasn't loaded properly (yes I have gone out with no memory card in my digital camera, but I had more film load failures).  And a settings mistake with the camera didn't show up until the film came back from the lab.

And a film print is only as good as the enlarging lens which makes it. Scanning some of my old prints shows just how soft poor some of the labs I used were (and the hand made prints I paid a premium for are noticable better). You always lose some resolution and sharpness making a print which is why my APS-C prints beat my 35 mm prints

If you shoot film you have to scan it to use a "digital darkroom" or work with a wet darkroom and though B&W is easy , colour is difficult to master.

So I think everyone can learn a lot about photography from film, but going back from a K5 (Or frankly a K10D) to film ? Every now and then I see Pentax 645 film cameras going for next-to-nothing on ebay and I think "I could buy one of those" and realise that I'm sentimental for the days of film but I don't really want to shoot it again.

Yes fair enough James, all valid points! To be honest I could have did with a FF today as my lens simply wasn't anywhere near wide enough for mountain snowscape photography. Even a 14mm prime wouldn't have been anywhere wide enough although on a FF it maybe would have! I don't think you can buy a 10mm UWA prime and I don't want a fish eye. I know you can buy 10-20 zooms and in fact I met a photographer who was using that. I'll post a few shots later, the landscape was absolutely stunning!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,862
Like?

Xiaomao wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Yang,

There are nine A* lenses that were made. A*85/1.4, A*135/1.8, A*200/2.8, A*200/4 Macro ED, A*300/2.8 ED (IF), A*300/4, A*400/2.8 ED (IF), A*600/5.6 ED (IF), and A*1200/8 ED (IF). As far as I know all of them are considered excellent lenses with the A*300/4 being the worst of the lot and the A*200/4 Macro ED being the best of the lot. You can easily find the A*200/2.8 and the A*300/4 but the rest are getting difficult to find and most are becoming very expensive.

You can read the specs for each of those lenses at Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads