Future of Pentax?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
noel2
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?
Future of Pentax?
Mar 29, 2013

Many years ago, having invested in a number of excellent A* Pentax lenses, I was waiting for Pentax to look foreward and enter the digital mode to do justice to the quality of its optics.

I then seriously considered getting rid of my Equipment and following the more progressive and "market oriented" , though more expensive and less "photographically" oriented competition.

I have nevertheless remained with Pentax up to now. I still use the A* lenses - which are among the best ever produced for photography - and use them with the available APS-C bodies that Pentax produces.

But, if Pentax does not follow the trend to use The FF sensors that are becoming available, and capitalize on its older experience, I am very pessimistic as to the future of the company to keep a good place in the current market.

I have been recently looking at a number of internet retailers for photographic Equipment, and Pentax has disappeared from from their offers (it was formerly in their catalogue). It is not a good sign for the future - and requires an answer.

JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?
Re: Future of Pentax?
In reply to noel2, Mar 29, 2013
 JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
breeze_of_wind
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?
Re: Future of Pentax? I feel good about tomorrow!

My guess -- most of us on the forum are optimistic.

Little spoken fear that the company is in trouble.

The K5, K5 II, etc have been well received.

The company has said enough to make one believe that a ff is around the corner.

Hopefully before May comes upon us we will know more.

Could the y make a mistake -- sure.

Will they make a mistake -- I for one doubt it.

I have only one A lens (the 200 macro) and I can see more in my future!

John

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160Gear list
Like?

noel2 wrote:

I have been recently looking at a number of internet retailers for photographic Equipment, and Pentax has disappeared from from their offers (it was formerly in their catalogue). It is not a good sign for the future - and requires an answer.

Which internet retailers are you referring to?  As everyone else here knows, the three biggest in the USA (B&H, Adorama, Amazon.com) carry essentially everything Pentax makes.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,217
Like?

noel2 wrote:

Many years ago, having invested in a number of excellent A* Pentax lenses, I was waiting for Pentax to look foreward and enter the digital mode to do justice to the quality of its optics.

I then seriously considered getting rid of my Equipment and following the more progressive and "market oriented" , though more expensive and less "photographically" oriented competition.

I have nevertheless remained with Pentax up to now. I still use the A* lenses - which are among the best ever produced for photography - and use them with the available APS-C bodies that Pentax produces.

But, if Pentax does not follow the trend to use The FF sensors that are becoming available, and capitalize on its older experience, I am very pessimistic as to the future of the company to keep a good place in the current market.

Seriously?

garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, Mar 29, 2013

I don't think they are going under.  But this market is dog eat dog. And they are already with two strikes against them. Look at Nikon, they never got back the Pro shooters they once had. Not sure the fate. YEARS to get back the respect from pro's for sure if they ever have a pro camera. The K-5 is a far cry from a pro camera. Not even in the same ball park as the others at this point.

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-3 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +1 more
Direr
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, Mar 29, 2013

Jim in Hudson wrote:

noel2 wrote:

Which internet retailers are you referring to?  As everyone else here knows, the three biggest in the USA (B&H, Adorama, Amazon.com) carry essentially everything Pentax makes.

To add to that, Costco, the largest big box store in the US, is now carrying a K30 bundle ($849+tax fror K30,18-55mm WR Lens, 55-200mm WR Lens, Camera Bag, 16GB SD Card, free shipping).

While not a traditional retailer, the fact Pentax is even being carried by the very picky Costco, is a good sign. Even if the move is intended to move inventory.

Direr's gear list:Direr's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs +1 more
Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,095Gear list
Like?

I assume you're just venting, because what makes you think that anyone here knows the future of Pentax? My uninformed *guess* is that Pentax is going to be APS-C for the foreseeable future. If you need full-frame, there are already excellent options out there, and I'm sure that your SMC-A lenses will sell for decent prices. Life is short - why waste time?

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +3 more
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,696Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, Mar 29, 2013

Hi,

Well, it's this second half of this year and next year that will tell us where Pentax is going,freed from the last of the Hoya developements. I know speaking to my Pentax friend things have got to seriously buck up, the worlds financial problems have not helped either.  Pentax really need to sell in large quantities, their best seller was the KX, since that model their cameras have improved enormously,but sold less well. My guess is they need another entry model that will appeal to the masses, a lot of women bought the KX as well as beginners and students.

In short they need a mass seller!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K-5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654Gear list
Like?

noel2 wrote:

When ever you get tired of waiting, I'll pay for shipping.

Go to e-bay, or a flea market, pick up any recent Pentax 35mm camera.

Spend $7 on a roll of Velvia, and you can be kickin' it old school with your A* lenses.

Frankly, your argument is nonsensical.  Other than changing the effective EFL, you don't get any more or less out of the lenses.

The A* lenses are still highly desirable, so sell them and switch to a more awesome brand?

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +8 more
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,600Gear list
Like?
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Mar 29, 2013

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi,

Well, it's this second half of this year and next year that will tell us where Pentax is going,freed from the last of the Hoya developements. I know speaking to my Pentax friend things have got to seriously buck up, the worlds financial problems have not helped either.  Pentax really need to sell in large quantities, their best seller was the KX, since that model their cameras have improved enormously,but sold less well. My guess is they need another entry model that will appeal to the masses, a lot of women bought the KX as well as beginners and students.

In short they need a mass seller!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

I think you're spot on.

Of course, they should not neglect the higher end - either K-mount or 645D. I expect them to expand their product range in both directions.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?

noel2 wrote:

The future is bright even without a FF.

If the K3 is what it is hyped to be (A high end APSC ala D300s/ 7D), the future is brighter. Just imagine your lenses used on a smallish pro grade APSC DSLR which seems like a good market right now.

Sony is taking a beating with Canikon in the FF department and IMHO its a huge risk for Pentax/Ricoh w/o a complete FF environment to compete with C&N.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-r Pentax K-5 II Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PL1
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?

Do you remember people saying that about vinyl (records)?

Its a niche market but so what?

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
+1
In reply to BobORama, Mar 29, 2013

BobORama wrote:

noel2 wrote:

When ever you get tired of waiting, I'll pay for shipping.

Go to e-bay, or a flea market, pick up any recent Pentax 35mm camera.

Spend $7 on a roll of Velvia, and you can be kickin' it old school with your A* lenses.

Frankly, your argument is nonsensical.  Other than changing the effective EFL, you don't get any more or less out of the lenses.

The A* lenses are still highly desirable, so sell them and switch to a more awesome brand?

Exactly! Stop complaining!

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Douglas Film
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,687
Like?

Just look at what the young folks use for photos and video, their smart phone. Look at youtube and number of videos shot with phones is high.

The demand from the average consumer for a big heavy complicated camera is low.

I enjoy my Pentax cameras but wanted full frame so have a nikon for that and a smart phone for spur of the moment photos and video.

Douglas Film

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,489Gear list
Like?

Noel we have 2 cameras that are competing with most FF bodies at 2/3 of the price & weight, I really can't see why you are so depressed - you need to get out and take some stunners!

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,195Gear list
Like?
The Pentax FF is coming

Noel,

The Pentax FF camera is coming, don't worry, and it's coming as soon as this year.

You'll be using those A* lenses with pride. However, don't forget that when the FF comes out, only then, you, and many people, will truly understand the value of an excellent camera like the K5IIs.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Underdog 3000
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
In reply to noel2, Mar 30, 2013

Once and a while I blame my gear for lack of a good shot.

Then I will check out the recent winners of challenges (soom shot w. a P&S) and realize that I am the problem.

Underdog 3000's gear list:Underdog 3000's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +4 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,426Gear list
Like?
Re: Future of Pentax? You can use A* lens on Canon FF now
In reply to noel2, Mar 30, 2013

Hi Noel,

I don't think you need to be pessimistic.  Ricoh didn't invest in Pentax to lose money - they will manage and develop the business to make a return on their investment.  They will survive as long as they make quality products that sell.  They've made very good APSC DSLRs that have sold and a few products that haven't sold so well, but that's the fate of experimentation in business.  They may yet make an FF camera (or cameras)....... They've indicated that they're working on it but they've got to be very careful to get the formula right.

If you need to use an FF now, you don't need to wait and you can keep your A* gear.  You can use your A* lenses on a Canon FF - as I understand it, adapters are available and you're happy with manual focus or you wouldn't be using A series lenses.  The adapters are inexpensive and the better ones are chipped to offer some metering and focus confirm functions.  You could try out a used Canon FF while you wait for the mythical Pentax FF.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
birdseed007
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
In reply to Underdog 3000, Mar 30, 2013

Not sure I understand the obsession on here for full frame actually (and I two have a couple of full frame lenses from my film days)

I say this because in the K5 II and K5 IIs you have cameras that in terms of shooting quality are easily up to he task of shooting for any commercial outlet, magazine or agency in the world.  You can take a K5ii image and enlarge it to large poster size and it still meets all likely commercial requirements.  I do think Pentax needs to respond to the Nikon D7100 and that is the main reason why I'm holding off buying an Ist DS replacement just yet.  In independent testing (DXO) the K5ii is one of the highest quality DSLR's

Birdseed

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads