Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
bl1978
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
OMD E-M5 Original design Grip
Mar 29, 2013

OMD E-M5 Original design Grip
The major design points are as follows:
Handle aluminum alloy, 100% Made in Taiwan, one-piece CNC machining molding.
***Surface sandblasted again anodized black.
2 high-quality stainless steel screws.
The bottom of the screen is reserved flip screen finger space required and do the design styling combined handle.
From time to dismantle handle direct replacement battery.
Handle base the tripod hole directly on the tripod.
6 handle next to the battery cover is also set aside finger clamshell space.
7. Handle contains about 55 grams of plus or minus 3 grams of aluminum screws Weight
Photos on aluminum sample paint
I can guarantee the quality of production can only be better.
In fact, the original handle is very pretty, but I have always felt that the two shutter New York in camera
Looks really weird, so only want to design their own handle the idea.
The focus of my design ideas lies
Appearance and structure, excellent balance point.
Effectively without reducing the strength, reducing the handlebar weight
Grip with body shape and in line with the use of touch
As a whole in terms of E-M5 fitted started to increase height after 7mm
Just let your fingers so that the grip up enough space

Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,510Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD E-M5 Original design Grip
In reply to bl1978, Mar 29, 2013

Very nice.  Better than the JB Design grip that is sold on Amazon.  I have some suggestions to make it even better.

1. Are you able to position the tripod mounting hole in line with the lens axis?  I think it can be done if you position it more forward, i.e. closer to the lens.  To strengthen it, just fill up the empty space around that area at the bottom, and if necessary, make the middle part of the grip's bottom or base protrude or slope out to the front.

2. I think your grip will also share one of the problems of the JB Design grip, which makes it not very comfortable to hold with one hand.  The rear bottom corner, where it meets the palm of the right hand, is too angular in shape and put too much pressure on the palm.  Try it.  If you can make that corner more rounded in shape, it should be better.  I think it is worth it to make that part near that corner thicker, both the back and side near that corner a little thicker, to make that corner smoother and more comfortable because the E-M5 is a bit heavy with a big lens.  That would also make the thin edge around the hole (cut out for battery changes) stronger.  Just reinforce the those two thin edges by making it thicker, and to let you get a more rounded shape for that corner.  I don't think it matters if the base is a little thicker than the camera, especially if you use a slightly sloping shape, i.e. wider and deeper at the very bottom.  A slightly wider shape (to the right hand side) will also let you put the finger grip further away from the lens, to provide more room there.  Many of us like to use the left hand to hold the lens from the bottom (like old SLRs), which means the fingers from both hands do not have enough room.   It is OK to position the edge of the finger grip a little bit outside of the camera.  A sloping (or larger base area) shape will give more area to contact the tripod and also let the camera stand more stably on a table or flat surface.  Don't worry too much about additional weight.

3. JB Design's grip have fairly sharp edges, and its brass screw is also sharp around the coin slot.  I hope you make your edges smooth.

Good luck, and I hope you can get this grip out for us soon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,247Gear list
Like?
In reply to bl1978, Mar 29, 2013

I agree with Sergey about the threaded tripod mount position, but it looks like a challenge to get that where it should be.

My other initial impression was that if it has a QR groove to accommodate QR clamps, it could be a cheaper alternative to the RSS plate w/grip.   I couldn't tell if the cutout for screen access also was a QR groove.    At that, it might be possible to provide a generic (Manfrotto?) QR model as well as an Arca-Swiss type.   The RSS plate/grip is a joy to handle - I think a lesser cost alternative (knockoff, if you prefer) aimed at that market could do very well.

Just thinking aloud. . .

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Sergey Borachev
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Mar 29, 2013

Some nice ideas for a QR solution, Bob.

I am pretty sure it does not matter if the middle part of the grip base protudes forward, to make more room for the tripod mount to align with the lens.  5mm outside of the camera base is not going to obstruct anything, if the shape is rounded and smooth.  The camera mount is actually about that thick and it is also extending out from the body.

And I have another thought about the shape of the finger grip.  I think the OP should check to see if it comfortable for shooting in "portrait" orientation.  I feel that there is probably not enough material/grip for the middle finger to hold the weight of the camera comfortably, and thus making the thumb work harder. The J.B. Design grip is actually quite good at that and seems better than this new design.  Something closer to the J.B. design might be more suitable.

bl1978
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 30, 2013

thanks
http://design1978.pixnet.net/blog/post/37741552
part2.
http://design1978.pixnet.net/blog/post/37702296
part1.
If you are interested, then I can refer to the design process
idiotekniQues
Senior MemberPosts: 1,235
Like?
In reply to bl1978, Mar 30, 2013

this looks very good. what would be a cost estimate?

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

AoxoA
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?

The JB designs also have the QR (which fits perfectly in my RRS BH-55) machined into the plate. I would consider it a must have personally.

AoxoA's gear list:AoxoA's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
bl1978
Like?

Price NT $ 3, 700

U.S. $ 137

Made in taiwan  ^^

One_Oldman_4U
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?

It's more than I expected. The RSS Plate for OM-D E-M5 + Grip for BOEM5 plate is only $120.00. I was expecting maybe a few $$ more than the JB Design being sold on Amazon. But I have to admit, i's a lot better lookng than the JB Design.

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
Sergey Borachev
Like?
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, Mar 30, 2013

$137 is also more expensive than I had thought, 3 times the price of the J.B. Design grip.  Although it is aluminium alloy and probably anodised black, it does not have any buttons, electronics, or extra functionality, QR or even a tripod mount that is aligned with the lens.  It needs to be improved more to sell at $137.

I think the OP should get it made in China instead for a lower cost.  This is not high-tech or high-precision stuff.

Until there is another cheaper or clearly better design, the JB Design one will have to do for me, and it is fine at its price, after some smoothing with a fine sandpaper.

Vu Dang
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?

Nice Grip but I hope it cost 99$ maximum.

Vu Dang's gear list:Vu Dang's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Michael T
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?

bl1978 wrote:

Price NT $ 3, 700

U.S. $ 137

Made in taiwan  ^^

I am looking for a used Olympus grip on the internet and it cost about US$ 180.  Your grip looks really nice but seems to be a bit too expensive.

Michael T's gear list:Michael T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400Gear list
Like?

Without reading the responses of others let me give you my opinion, as someone who has used add on grip enhancers in the past.  I'll apologize in advance..  that's just unappealing (ugly).  It looks like a kind of crinkle finish camera has a growth.  You can fix the problem relatively easily I believe.  #1  round the edges to more closely resemble the design geometry of the camera.  #2 the finish has to be a much closer match to the camera. ... both in texture and grip.  Whether you do it by a no slip coating or knurling is your decision.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
In reply to bl1978, Mar 31, 2013

It looks to do the job well. but don't like the design.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
idiotekniQues
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 1, 2013

i thought the design was quite good. besides smoothing out a few contact points like the bottom where one's palm would sit, it looks like a very well-made and designed product - fits the aesthetics of the oM-D well.

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to idiotekniQues, Apr 1, 2013

I'll keep my RRS grip, thanks.  Better looking, cheaper, and functions as an Arca-Swiss base plate.  Built like a tank, too.

Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400Gear list
Like?
In reply to BingoCharlie, Apr 1, 2013
 Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
idiotekniQues
Like?
also weighs nearly twice as much
In reply to BingoCharlie, Apr 1, 2013

BingoCharlie wrote:

I'll keep my RRS grip, thanks.  Better looking, cheaper, and functions as an Arca-Swiss base plate.  Built like a tank, too.

than this plate.

better looking is quite subjective, it looks uglier to me.

also looks thicker on the bottom, which i find unnecessary. cheaper by 10 bucks for twice the weight and twice the ugly?

not sold. JB designs seems like the best deal still until this potentially comes to market.

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: also weighs nearly twice as much
In reply to idiotekniQues, Apr 2, 2013

idiotekniQues wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

than this plate.

better looking is quite subjective, it looks uglier to me.

also looks thicker on the bottom, which i find unnecessary. cheaper by 10 bucks for twice the weight and twice the ugly?

not sold. JB designs seems like the best deal still until this potentially comes to market.

JB is certainly the value leader, no doubt.  It's also lighter because it's plastic.  RRS is machined aluminum.  The RRS grip is thicker on the bottom because it's an Arca-Swiss base plate.  Tremendously useful if you shoot with a tripod.

george4908
Regular MemberPosts: 190
Like?
Re: also weighs nearly twice as much
In reply to BingoCharlie, Apr 3, 2013

One of the best features of the Olympus grip is the little lip on top that allows you to hook your middle finger underneath it for a very secure hold, without having to put a death grip on the camera.  I haven't tried the RRS grip, but the indentation appears to serve the same purpose.

On this new third party grip, there's only a cutaway, with nothing to lock your middle finger.  So it would appear that you would have to put a strong grip on the camera to really hold it securely.  Sort of defeats the purpose.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads