New Sigma 17 70 contemporary series lens

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
rubicon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
New Sigma 17 70 contemporary series lens
Mar 29, 2013

Hello folks;

I'm inquiring to find out if anyone has purchased the newest version of Sigmas 17 70 2.8 4.0? I have a version but it has a "quirky" focus motion, it sort of ratchets into focus it is a sharp lens on my D90, and I like its lens focus range it just doesn't "snap" into focus, sort of a zt,zt zt.

I'm sorry for my description of it trying to focus, I'm thinking of selling it and buying the new upgraded version or the Nikon 16 85 or hold out and wait for the the "rumored" f4 version.

So! if anyone has tried the newest version of the 17 70 2.8 4.0 do you like it? if so why, and why not?

rubicon's gear list:rubicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rich Dykmans
Senior MemberPosts: 2,532
Like?
Re: New Sigma 17 70 contemporary series lens
In reply to rubicon, Mar 29, 2013

rubicon wrote:

Hello folks;

I'm inquiring to find out if anyone has purchased the newest version of Sigmas 17 70 2.8 4.0? I have a version but it has a "quirky" focus motion, it sort of ratchets into focus it is a sharp lens on my D90, and I like its lens focus range it just doesn't "snap" into focus, sort of a zt,zt zt.

I'm sorry for my description of it trying to focus, I'm thinking of selling it and buying the new upgraded version or the Nikon 16 85 or hold out and wait for the the "rumored" f4 version.

So! if anyone has tried the newest version of the 17 70 2.8 4.0 do you like it? if so why, and why not?

I'm very happy with mine and it doesn't exhibit any of the AF issues you describe on a D600 (crop mode) or D7100. I'd say it's AF speed is equal to any of the Nikon consumer lenses (16-85, 18-200 etc)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dodi73
Senior MemberPosts: 1,394Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rich Dykmans, Mar 29, 2013

What version is yours? Old or new? New lenses should also have a silver C engraved in a circle somewhere..
--
All the best from northern Italy, Dino.
I'm on the NIK side of photography.

Dodi73's gear list:Dodi73's gear list
Nikon D600 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +4 more
rubicon
Like?
In reply to Dodi73, Mar 29, 2013

Dodi73 wrote:

What version is yours? Old or new? New lenses should also have a silver C engraved in a circle somewhere..
--

Thanks for responding, my version is not the new contemporary  series, mine is HST or whatever and OS, everything is fine except the focus issue on my D90 and D200, I think I should sell it and purchase the newest version.

Mine is very sharp, some photos can be seen on my flickr site under palmerb16, I like it but its my fault for not sending it back to Adorama, and exchange it, oh well thanks.

Rubicon:

Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Rich Dykmans
Like?
In reply to Dodi73, Mar 29, 2013

Dodi73 wrote:

--

Mine is the new "C" version.

rubicon
Like?
In reply to Rich Dykmans, Mar 29, 2013

Rich Dykmans wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

--

Thanks Rich; how do you like it? does it focus fast, and accurate? I'm studying it, Adorama has it for $499.00US, and I think thats fair, if it focus's and locks on without hunting.

The current version I have 1st at 2.8 4.0 not 2.8 4.5, is my "walk around" lens on my D90, and I use it on tripod some, I do like it it just has "funky" focus issues, other than that I'm a fan of the lens.

Rubicon:

Rich Dykmans
Like?
In reply to rubicon, Mar 30, 2013

rubicon wrote:

Rich Dykmans wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

--

Thanks Rich; how do you like it? does it focus fast, and accurate?

Rubicon:

Yes, I would think it was a Nikon branded lens if I didn't know better.  It's worth trying, you can always send it back if you're not happy with it.

Rich

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
In reply to rubicon, Mar 30, 2013

I sell my nikkor 16-85 after 1 year of usage because 5 year old 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 hsm was still in total better for my d300s. The only things that better in Nikkor was 67mm filter thread and weight balance. For all photo quality sigma wins by little margin, charging sigma's half stop of speed for nikkor's VR.

liv2paddle
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
In reply to krikman, 11 months ago

I just bought the new version..C it does not have any focus issues.very fast..OS works better then Nikons VR ..snaps in you hardly know it is working. Nice lens.

liv2paddle's gear list:liv2paddle's gear list
Nikon D7000
Arree
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to liv2paddle, 11 months ago

I`ve tried out the new and the old version, and they both had the same focus issues, i also need to say that my friend has an older model which is better than my 16-85vr.

I wanted to have a sigma 17-70 too, but i gave up and bought myself a 16-85 which is almost the same quality, and focuses better.

Ofcourse in low light the sigma always beats the 16-85VR

Arree's gear list:Arree's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,532Gear list
Like?
In reply to rubicon, 11 months ago

Why not send it to Sigma for repair?  They honor their warranty.  I sent mine in (same exact model) and Sigma replaced the os unit free under warranty.  I had the lens back in two weeks.  My copy has had no focus issues on my D90 so that sounds like a defect.  Why spend $500 when $10 in shipping will do?

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
rubicon
Like?
In reply to liv2paddle, 11 months ago

Well this is a very old post, I sold my older version of the 17 70 and purchased the newer "C" copy it is perfect! still great IQ, but wow fast to focus and it doesn't "hunt" it locks on first time. I had contemplated the Nikon 16 85 in the beginning but for my needs I couldn't justify the price.

I still feel on a copy to copy basis the Sigma will kick butt on the Nikon, not to mention the price.

So glad I moved up the first copy was sharp, but just a funny focus issue.

Rubicon:

PhotoBlaz
Regular MemberPosts: 184
Like?
In reply to Arree, 11 months ago

I bought the new C 17-70 version. It is a perfect lens for d7100 camera, but it has a few major problems(preview panning...) in connection with nikon d7100, thats why i returned the lens. the problems are well known also on dpreview forum.
Shame on Sigma not to give us a sollution or even a note that the lens is not fully compatible with new Nikon d7100 camera.
i wish the lens will be updated from Sigma before i find another similar lens to buy.

sweetgum
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoBlaz, 6 months ago

Sorry about using this old thread but didnt want to start a new one on a similar topic.

I have the new 17-70 on a D7100 and noticed the images a bit dark and histogram to the left. Giving a half stop exposure compensation and sometimes a full stop made it ok.

Having now checked it against my D5100 it seems to be a half stop under exposing.

I am thinking this may be another minor incompatibility with the D7100 or would it be considered a normal variation with equipment.

Has anybody else found this underexposure on the D7100.

sweetgum
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to sweetgum, 6 months ago

A follow up.

I just did some testing with a grey card and found that the exposure from the Sigma 17-70mm is consistent with a Nikon 50mm 1.8. So there is no issue with the lens.

However, the D7100 body is underexposing by 0.7stop on both lenses.

Sorry about raising this.  At least I suppose this has tested the aspect of exposure of the 17-70mm  on the D7100.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads