Help on buying a new lens

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Questions
Grietjie
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Help on buying a new lens
Mar 29, 2013

I bought me a Canon 7D camera.  I need a lens that is tack sharp with stabilizer (I do have a little bit of hand shake when I took photo's out of hand and not with a tripod)  I did some wedding photography as well as landscape.  Wide angle as well as portrait.  What would you suggest me to buy.  I am not good at comparing the lenses in your review. (My home language is not english)  Can you help me.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,359Gear list
Like?
17-55 and 70-200
In reply to Grietjie, Mar 29, 2013

I would suggest these lenses:

Canon 17-55 mm f/2.8

Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8 IS II

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Help on buying a new lens

Grietjie wrote:

I bought me a Canon 7D camera.  I need a lens that is tack sharp with stabilizer (I do have a little bit of hand shake when I took photo's out of hand and not with a tripod)  I did some wedding photography as well as landscape.  Wide angle as well as portrait.  What would you suggest me to buy.  I am not good at comparing the lenses in your review. (My home language is not english)  Can you help me.

What lenses do you have now? Do you have a tripod and/or a monopod?

I would guess the lens that came with your camera has stabilization build in so any blurriness is probably not that so much as technique. Maybe put some images up with EXIF attached so we can help you with this.

There are just too many lenses that match what you're asking for, and you have to spend a good bit of money to exceed what might have come with the camera, so more information is needed to really figure this out for you.

Have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?

I agree with Arshutterbug.

Canon has no stabilized wide angle lens.  The closest you will get is the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS or the Tamron or Sigma equivalent.

The Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS is a very nice lens.  It would make a very nice portrait zoom.

The Macro lenses are sharper, but might be too sharp to make the best portrait lens for shooting adults.  Examples of stabilized macro lenses would include the Canon 100mm f2.8 IS, Sigma 150mm OS and 105mm OS.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Grietjie
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 29, 2013

Help ?EXIF  what is that?

Grietjie
Like?
In reply to Bjorn_L, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for your help.  I am really in darkness and appreciate your advise.

Grietjie
Like?
Re: 17-55 and 70-200
In reply to ARShutterbug, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for your help.  I am really in darkness and appreciate your advise.

Grietjie
Like?

I only buy the body of the 7D and my friend borrow me one of his lenses.

Grietjie
Like?

Sorry in answering such way (as I told you my english is not that good) so I read each question seperate.  I do have a canon 50mm ultrasonic lens and the one of my friend is one of the first 28 - 105mm (without IS).  He dropped the lens once (so I don't know if that could cause the blurriness)  Thanks for your help. I do appreciate.

Grietjie
Like?

I use a tripod.

beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,688
Like?
In reply to Grietjie, Mar 31, 2013

Grietjie wrote:

for crop model zooms look at the Canon Canon 15-85IS, Canon 17-50IS, Sigma 17-50

garrywatson
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to beagle1, Apr 15, 2013

I would advise you to buy a zoom lens. This is usually a 3 in one lens that can be widened, standardized, or zoomed as required. This lens will allow you to shoot a wide variety of shots without the need of changing lens frequently. Choose any brand as almost all renowned brands are good to go with.

-- hide signature --

Garry Watson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads