Request for people with NX 18-200mm

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
chrisrabe
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Request for people with NX 18-200mm
Mar 29, 2013

Could you please tell me what the noise is like when adjusting the aperture?

I am sure it used to be dead silent, but was doing some testing this morning and it's quite audible.

Not just in video, but physically audible to me from the camera.

Just need to know if this thing is developing fault and whether should be returning it...

edit:

It also tried out the 60mm macro, and the aperture adjustment on that is silent.

chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
jonathanj
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?
Re: Request for people with NX 18-200mm
In reply to chrisrabe, Mar 31, 2013

Mine does not make any noise that I can hear.. what sort of noise is it and when do you hear it?

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chrisrabe
Like?
In reply to jonathanj, Mar 31, 2013

Played a bit more yesterday, and it seems it's only in video mode.

It's kinda hard to describe the noise it makes is. It's almost like a faint grinding noise maybe. Or maybe like it's initially sticking and then eventually coming unstuck and flicking to the next width, instead of smoothly transitioning between apertures.

When in manual photo mode and quickly transitioning through the apertures from small to large, it is silent.

Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS
nx200USER1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046
Like?

could constant auto focus do that?

AndricD
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?

Mine doesn't make any noise - and as it's meant to be silent for movies in particular sounds like it's faulty

AndricD's gear list:AndricD's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +4 more
nx200USER1
Like?

I just checked with the 18-200mm attached to the nx200 and all I can reproduce is the aperture making mechanical noise while I have the custom button (bottom right corner programmed for 'live preview') pressed (with camera in aperture priority mode for photo). With the custom button pressed, I can hear a short mechanical 'grinding' sound each time I rotate the jog dial on top and change the aperture size, which is reflected in amoled display as a darker or lighter image.

In movie mode with camera set to aperture priority mode, I cannot hear anything changing the aperture size with the jog dial.

chrisrabe
Like?
In reply to nx200USER1, Apr 1, 2013

Strange.

So, in certain situations, it sounds like you can reproduce it. For me it's only in video mode though - but without fail, no matter what settings I use.

Though as you are testing with NX200, and I with NX1000, I wonder if is some problem in the firmware?

Oh well, NX300 will be here tomorrow night, so will get to test then.

Thanks for taking the time to test.

nx200USER1
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Apr 2, 2013

somewhat off topic but still related to the 18-200mm, BHPhotovideo seem to have it for $649 (as of 04/01/2013, all jokes aside) and looking at newegg or amazon they still have them at the typical $800 range. I remember going berserk when I found mine for $599 from Henry's....anyways, good luck with yours and congratulations on your nx300 purchase.

chrisrabe
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Apr 28, 2013

Ok, busy putting the 18-200mm through it's paces on the NX300.

I am getting this awful crunching/grinding noise in lens priority mode on focus.

So I am not sure this is an aperture problem, as in lens priority mode, aperture should remain locked - unless the problem is that is trying to forcefully adjust it when it is locked...

Put it on the NX1000, and don't seem to suffer it there, but lens priority mode is different on the NX1000.

But the lens ALWAYS makes the crunching/grinding noise on startup on either camera.

I can still hear the noise I was originally referring to on the NX1000, which is a softer noise, but this noise I am hearing on the 18-200mm at moment is a much louder crunching/grinding type noise. And there were times on holiday the NX300/lens combo would get caught in this cycle of making this crunching noise, and it looked like it was trying to adjust aperture, but maybe that wasn't it (that wasn't in lens priority mode though, but any mode), and the only way to stop it was powering down (but sometimes having to remove battery completely) I just don't know whether this is faulty lens, or firmware issues in cameras? 
AndricD
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Apr 28, 2013

I only hear anything from mine (nx20)when I start the camera up with it on, when it produces a sound like the motor engages on it and is hardly noticeable. tried in lens priority & aperture modeswhich I don't normally use and no sounds.

AndricD's gear list:AndricD's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 ED OIS Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +4 more
Raf007
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
In reply to chrisrabe, Apr 29, 2013

I can hear the same noise. I looked at the lenses when they are operating and the noise is caused by opening and closing the aperture blades. In PASM modes the diaphragm is closing only when you press the shutter so its not audible when you change aperture. In Lens Priority mode the diaphragm is opening/closing when you half-press the shutter to focus making the noise. In video mode when adjusting aperture the blades also are also moving accordingly thus making sound.

chrisrabe
Like?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Raf, is it a horrible grinding type noise you hear? Very audible, even from a bit of a distance?

Raf007
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?

chrisrabe wrote:

Thanks for the responses guys.

Raf, is it a horrible grinding type noise you hear? Very audible, even from a bit of a distance?

I can hear a mechanical sound, kind of difficult to describe but I wouldn't necessarily call it a horrible grinding. It becoming worse and more annoying at small aperture though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads