R3000 problems and - no end in sight

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,594
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - UPDATE
In reply to Santelia, Apr 4, 2013

Santelia wrote:

Oh, I think I read in another post that the owner of his Epson R3000 was going to take out and shoot  it, I am deciding between my double barrel 12 g. or maybe the 357 not sure.....

Dynamite works well and is more impressiveJ

But first, give it a short while to settle in. It is not uncommon for new printers to have a mild air clog during the initial ink fill.  So let it settle in with maybe another manual cleaning cycle later (not an auto check and cleaning cycle)  This happened with my new Epson and essentially no problems since.

Good luck

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lilredss
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - UPDATE
In reply to Santelia, Apr 4, 2013

Santelia wrote:

Oh, I think I read in another post that the owner of his Epson R3000 was going to take out and shoot  it, I am deciding between my double barrel 12 g. or maybe the 357 not sure.....

-- hide signature --

Sante

Now you know why I ordered a 3880 to replace my R3000 instead of a new R3000.

Bob

lilredss
Like?
Rambling on about R3000
In reply to lilredss, Apr 5, 2013

It appears that our problem may be a lot more common the we thought.  Everyone passes it off as a cleaning problem.  Everyone on here had us cleaning everything in the printer. I know that I had the cleanest printer on the planet when I got done.

Same thing when I called Epson, as soon as I said black ink on photo it was a cleaning problem and nothing else.  I told them it was coming out of the head and it was still a cleaning problem.

How many printers do they get back with this problem and thinking it is a cleaning problem, they clean them and then print one good photo and ship them out.  I know that on my printer if I let it sit for 4 or 5 days it would print good for the 1st 2 or 3 photos but after that it was back to the black lines until I let it set for 3 or 4 days again.

Like I said I'm just rambling on.  My new 3880 is suppose to be deliver  today and that will probably bring a whole new set of problems with it. While I'm here I've got a question for you guys.  Does the 3880 have a catch bottle for the waste ink when you clean the head, etc. ?

Bob

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,772
Like?
Re: Rambling on about R3000
In reply to lilredss, Apr 5, 2013

lilredss wrote:

It appears that our problem may be a lot more common the we thought.  Everyone passes it off as a cleaning problem.  Everyone on here had us cleaning everything in the printer. I know that I had the cleanest printer on the planet when I got done.

Same thing when I called Epson, as soon as I said black ink on photo it was a cleaning problem and nothing else.  I told them it was coming out of the head and it was still a cleaning problem.

How many printers do they get back with this problem and thinking it is a cleaning problem, they clean them and then print one good photo and ship them out.  I know that on my printer if I let it sit for 4 or 5 days it would print good for the 1st 2 or 3 photos but after that it was back to the black lines until I let it set for 3 or 4 days again.

Like I said I'm just rambling on.  My new 3880 is suppose to be deliver  today and that will probably bring a whole new set of problems with it. While I'm here I've got a question for you guys.  Does the 3880 have a catch bottle for the waste ink when you clean the head, etc. ?

Bob

LOL! Catch Bottle?

No the PRO line has Maintenance Tanks that are chipped and are user replaceable.

The 3880 ones are about $18 to $23 depending here you get them from.

The only problem I've read about with the 3880 is pizza wheel marks on certain papers.

Look in the forum search.

Joe

Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: Rambling on about R3000
In reply to jtoolman, Apr 5, 2013

BTW- after my initial nozzle check and head cleaning of the refurbished unit which failed, still showing broken patterns, I called Epson support and explained the ordeal that I have gone through over the course of almost 2 months, the person asked me to call their customer relations dept. which I did and after talking with the representative and explaining what had been happening, she looked up information on my repairs and returns etc and could not find any records she asked me for the refurbished unit serial number and could not find it either, hmm.... so she asked me where I took the printer and said she would investigate and get back to me. She said that she will do what she can to correct the problem and help me out. So, I guess I have to keep waiting to see what is next, one interesting thing is that when the printer came back with the same problem to the local repair shop a second time I told them I was going to call Epson and tell them what they could do with their equipment, the shop guy was like, oh no don't call them that would only complicate this issue even more to let them deal with it.

-- hide signature --

Sante

RomBill
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to Santelia, Apr 12, 2013

I'm a little late to the party, but when I purchased my r3000, I installed an external ink disposal tank. Works very well and you would be amazed at the amount of ink when it initializes and than when you switch from Photo to matte black. I use the Photo black on all my printing needs unless I'm doing a very special black and white.

RomBill
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
In reply to Santelia, Apr 12, 2013

I have also read someplace that the cure to these llittle black marks is to place a magazine or thin  book where the print emerges from and that will fix many of the black marks on the prints. Not sure if this works as I have not had this problem.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,772
Like?
In reply to RomBill, Apr 13, 2013

RomBill wrote:

I have also read someplace that the cure to these llittle black marks is to place a magazine or thin  book where the print emerges from and that will fix many of the black marks on the prints. Not sure if this works as I have not had this problem.

It prevents the paper leading edge of longer prints from dropping down and effectively raising the paper surface where is passes under the print head. It is a head strike problem. You would think they would have designed the exit paper tray so it completely supports the paper so it is flat during 100% of the print job.

Flcardtrader
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Apr 14, 2013

I have had an R3000 in service for 19 months having purchased one new at the end of October, '11.

I printed 1000+ 8x10's and 12x18's - all glossy without much of a fuss and began to see the ink mark issue 6 months into its service. At about the same time, I ran into a nozzle problem which required weekly head cleaning to maintain clean prints.

During the summer of '12, I was still in the, "can't be the high end printer - must be the user" state of mind and dealt with my frustration until the end of the 1st year when I called tech support, spoke of my issues with potential clogged heads and the annoying black ink marks.

Epson shipped a refurb unit before the end of the 1st year in service and all worked well for about a month and then I ran into the same issues = black ink + clogged heads.

I use only Epson Glossy Paper and Epson Inks.

I print at least 5 days a week.

I do not print borderless prints

I have never done any service of the capping station but certainly will after reading the input and guidance in this forum.

The black marks usually appear at the beginning of a print cycle - at the top of the image having off to the side.

Multiple calls to Epson support have soured my relationship with Epson. The last time, the technician actually had me print a test page and when it printed told me they could not help me.

With all of that said......As discussed by previous contributors, this is definitely a strike issue where ink is getting where it shouldn't (possibly at the end of a print cycle) and sitting in wait for the next time it can start a print cycle to deposit it at the beginning of the print job.

It could be that the R3000 is a high maintenance printer - unlike the previous R1800 I had which printed 10,000+ 8x10's and 12x18's before it started showing any signs of problem.

For my money, the R1800 was the best printer ever.

Thanks for the time reading my story - thanks for your input on this matter.

Flcardtrader
Like?
In reply to Flcardtrader, Apr 14, 2013

As follow-up to my post last night.....

I started off the morning looking at the video posted above showing how to clean the pads and wiper blade.

I was very happy to see that, upon examination of my wiper blade, it was caked with ink and an extremely likely source of the ink destined to ruin my print.

Unlike the above video based on the R1400, I found the blade in the R3000 to be black. That wasn't a helpful color to let me know the blade was clean, however, it was no longer picking up ink when I dabbed it with a q-tip or paper towel stuck into a hemostat.

I printed 4 prints last night and they all globbed.

After cleaning the blade and sopping up as much ink from the sponge, I have printed 4 of the same prints this morning and none of them globbed.

It might just be that the R3000 requires a lot of TLC - which is a whole lot less expensive than going after a 3880.

Robert Snow
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?
In reply to Flcardtrader, Apr 14, 2013

Flcardtrader wrote:

I started off the morning looking at the video posted above showing how to clean the pads and wiper blade.

Hi!

I have read and re-read all the messages in this thread and cannot for the life of me find the video you speak of.

Could you point me to it....pleeeze.

Thanks,

bob snow

Robert Snow's gear list:Robert Snow's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,364
Like?
Here it is....
In reply to Robert Snow, Apr 14, 2013

Robert Snow wrote:

Flcardtrader wrote:

Hi!

I have read and re-read all the messages in this thread and cannot for the life of me find the video you speak of.

Could you point me to it....pleeeze.

Thanks,

bob snow

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.I/id.222/.f

Bob P.

Robert Snow
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?
Re: Here it is....
In reply to Petruska, Apr 14, 2013

Thanks a bunch!

I've had an R3000 for a couple of months with no problems so far, but maybe some careful maintenance will prevent problems.

bob snow

Robert Snow's gear list:Robert Snow's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D
camerashy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
Thank you also for the link ....very interesting. n/t
In reply to Robert Snow, Apr 14, 2013
-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Flcardtrader
Like?
In reply to Flcardtrader, Apr 15, 2013

As a follow-up to my follow-up.......

I was able to print a total of 4 13x19's and 3 8x10's before the ink streaks came back.

I suspect I am going to have to wipe the blade down about every 5th print, which, in my business, is unacceptable.

While I am not ready to do so yet, I plan on dropping my R3000 from a 4th swtory window onto concrete.

Santelia
Like?
In reply to Flcardtrader, Apr 15, 2013

Flcardtrader wrote:

I was able to print a total of 4 13x19's and 3 8x10's before the ink streaks came back.

I suspect I am going to have to wipe the blade down about every 5th print, which, in my business, is unacceptable.

While I am not ready to do so yet, I plan on dropping my R3000 from a 4th swtory window onto concrete.

Hi, sorry you are having the same problems. I was sent a refurbished unit and it showed the same problems, the repair shop did their own testing after I took it back and were able to replicate the problems as well, now waiting to hear from Epson. What I don't understand is why would they not change the print head on my unit and yet send a refurbished replacement. Cheaper to them I suppose. Customer relations at Epson could not help me any further than to say that the local repair shop would have to find a solution with Epson, for my inconvenience Epson is sending 4 ink cartridges for the R3000. I can only hope that I would be able to actually use them.

-- hide signature --

Sante

lilredss
Like?
In reply to Santelia, Apr 15, 2013

Santelia wrote:

Flcardtrader wrote:

Hi, sorry you are having the same problems. I was sent a refurbished unit and it showed the same problems, the repair shop did their own testing after I took it back and were able to replicate the problems as well, now waiting to hear from Epson. What I don't understand is why would they not change the print head on my unit and yet send a refurbished replacement. Cheaper to them I suppose. Customer relations at Epson could not help me any further than to say that the local repair shop would have to find a solution with Epson, for my inconvenience Epson is sending 4 ink cartridges for the R3000. I can only hope that I would be able to actually use them.

-- hide signature --

Sante

The repair shop that I took my R3000 to said that the print heads for the R3000 are on back order and it takes about 6 weeks to get one.  If that is true, that is why Epson sent a refurb .  They didn't want to wait for the back ordered part to come in.

When I talked to Epson customer relations about my problem and lack of support from Epson they said they would send me 4 ink cartridges for my new 3880 printer.  I got them yesterday, so I got about $200. off of the 3880.

So far I love my new 3880, it makes a little more noise than the R3000 did, but it prints great.  On the R3000 my prints were always a little darker than on screen.  Even after getting a ColorMunki they were still a little darker than on screen.  With the 3880 the prints match the screen. Using the calibration that I ran with the R3000 and the prints match. I am using profiles from Epson and Red River and they match.

Bob

Flcardtrader
Like?
In reply to lilredss, Apr 15, 2013

I will follow the thread as I would be interested to hear what Epson does for you to help remedy the situation.

My R3000 is off warranty and Epson Tech Support is longer providing any type of support on the device. The funny thing is, I bought my first R3000 new and in month 12 they swapped it out with a refurb. I called them after a month and told them I was running into the same issues with the refurb R3000 they sent and they told me I was no longer covered by the warranty and there was nothing they could do for me.

Meanwhile, I purchased my Canon Pixma Pro-100 today as everything I read indicated it would suit my needs quite well.

It would have been a lot more profitable for Epson to work with me on the issue with the R3000 as they have lost my consumables revenue for both paper and ink.

websnail
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
In reply to Flcardtrader, Apr 23, 2013

Flcardtrader wrote:

As follow-up to my post last night.....

I was very happy to see that, upon examination of my wiper blade, it was caked with ink and an extremely likely source of the ink destined to ruin my print.

Unlike the above video based on the R1400, I found the blade in the R3000 to be black. That wasn't a helpful color to let me know the blade was clean, however, it was no longer picking up ink when I dabbed it with a q-tip or paper towel stuck into a hemostat.

I printed 4 prints last night and they all globbed.

After cleaning the blade and sopping up as much ink from the sponge, I have printed 4 of the same prints this morning and none of them globbed.

It might just be that the R3000 requires a lot of TLC - which is a whole lot less expensive than going after a 3880.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but based on my experience of other Epson pigment type printers it all sounds a lot like the waste ink system is backing up resulting in:

• ink soiling the underside of the printhead
  • the deposits drying and creating a sort of ink drip trap/"hook" for new ink droplets to form

Has anyone tried using the passive printhead cleaning technique from Art Entlich where you fold a small piece of absorbent kitchen paper towel soaked in a cleaning solution and place it under the printhead in the cleaning/resting station. A little manual back and forth motion to clear the cr*p off the printhead base would remove any dried deposits.

After that, checking the resting/cleaning pad area for pooling or puddling of ink from ink cleaning would probably be an idea.

NOTE: I'm aware that there are some sensors in printhead carriage assemblies that can get soiled when using the cleaning technique above, thus creating an error, so this is very much at your own peril!

Hasten to add this is all completely outside the box thinking but thought I'd chip in, in case it nudged someone else towards a solution.

Santelia
Like?
In reply to Flcardtrader, 11 months ago

Well, for anyone that may still be interested, today after a very long and frustrating wait for Epson's answer the service shop called me and said Epson was sending out a new unit. As you may have read they had sent a refurbished unit that was far from working correctly, I had told the service place that I was not going to wait past this Friday, if no action by Epson then I told them return my money since I did not have a working unit and that I would move on, my plan once I get it will be to review all the tips provided by the experienced folks on the forum and do my best to keep it running smoothly (no easy task) from everything I have read. Thanks all for your help and I will post once the printer is up and running.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads