R3000 problems and - no end in sight

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
R3000 problems and - no end in sight
Mar 29, 2013

Well, for Bob and Joe and anyone else interested . My R3000 was returned from a second trip to Epson and the local  repair shop that's handling the process informed me today that they had tried using the printer before calling me for pick up and the same problem of ink marks on photos and documents is still present. They also told me that Epson had not included any explanation of service performed. They are waiting for a call from some higher level technical support person to address the issue and I am waiting for the results of that conversation. I feel like calling Epson to tell them what they can do with their printer but I guess I better take a deep breadth for now. Any thoughts on what to expect from Epson? If anything at all.

-- hide signature --

Sante

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,645
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to Santelia, Mar 31, 2013

It like likely that extremely few printer owners ever have to return a printer to the manufacturer for service.  Why compared to dSLRs?  There are few parts you can put in them that the OEM didn't produce themselves unlikely memory cards, batteries, and lenses for SLRs.  Typically there isn't much to go wrong with the operation of a printer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lilredss
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to Santelia, Mar 31, 2013

I have been following your problem and am anxiously waiting for some fix for your problem.  My R3000 does the same thing.  I purchased it in November of 2011 and it worked great for a year and then about about 2 months ago I started getting the back ink marks on the photos. Sometimes I can print 1 or 2 photos without the ink marks but then the next 5 or 6 will have them.

I'm about ready to throw it into the trash and buy something else to print with.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,058
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to lilredss, Mar 31, 2013

lilredss wrote:

I have been following your problem and am anxiously waiting for some fix for your problem.  My R3000 does the same thing.  I purchased it in November of 2011 and it worked great for a year and then about about 2 months ago I started getting the back ink marks on the photos. Sometimes I can print 1 or 2 photos without the ink marks but then the next 5 or 6 will have them.

I'm about ready to throw it into the trash and buy something else to print with.

Bob

Have any of you checked your purge pad or capping station where the head sits during non use?

Part of the maintenance process for PRO printers is the monthly cleaning of that are. You add cleaning fluid or Windex with ammonia, let it sit for a few minutes and blot it off. If there is build up of liquid ink goo anywhere, it will be there. Any ink build up under the head will be deposited as black mark usually running either in the direction of paper feed or head travel.

Heads strikes due to printing on thick material will be more likely to occur and leave marks.

If there is indeed a universally occurring problem with the front feed for instance, it seems to go unnoticed as many people including me can print on most materials by feeding through the top feed. and increasing the platen gap accordingly.

Bob Petruska here in the forum probably has the most experience with this printer and has yet to experience any such problems.

I would love to see a list of settings on the R3000 that are causing these marks.

Or is it totally a random occurrence?

How are you feeding the paper and what papers are you printing on.

OEM inks or 3rd party.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lilredss
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 31, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

lilredss wrote:

I have been following your problem and am anxiously waiting for some fix for your problem.  My R3000 does the same thing.  I purchased it in November of 2011 and it worked great for a year and then about about 2 months ago I started getting the back ink marks on the photos. Sometimes I can print 1 or 2 photos without the ink marks but then the next 5 or 6 will have them.

I'm about ready to throw it into the trash and buy something else to print with.

Bob

Have any of you checked your purge pad or capping station where the head sits during non use?

Part of the maintenance process for PRO printers is the monthly cleaning of that are. You add cleaning fluid or Windex with ammonia, let it sit for a few minutes and blot it off. If there is build up of liquid ink goo anywhere, it will be there. Any ink build up under the head will be deposited as black mark usually running either in the direction of paper feed or head travel.

Heads strikes due to printing on thick material will be more likely to occur and leave marks.

If there is indeed a universally occurring problem with the front feed for instance, it seems to go unnoticed as many people including me can print on most materials by feeding through the top feed. and increasing the platen gap accordingly.

Bob Petruska here in the forum probably has the most experience with this printer and has yet to experience any such problems.

I would love to see a list of settings on the R3000 that are causing these marks.

Or is it totally a random occurrence?

How are you feeding the paper and what papers are you printing on.

OEM inks or 3rd party.

Joe

Joe,

I am using Epson ink and use mostly Epson paper and some Red River paper. I used Epson Luster mostly and rarely used the Red River Polar Pearl Metallic. In the 17 months that I have had it I think I have printed on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper 5 or 6 times. I probably print 3 or 4 photos a week.

I have clean the pads and did all the things that you suggested to op of this thread  to do as i have been following this thread and his older thread. But nothing has helped.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,488
Like?
Just soemthing to try....
In reply to lilredss, Mar 31, 2013

lilredss wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

lilredss wrote:

I have been following your problem and am anxiously waiting for some fix for your problem.  My R3000 does the same thing.  I purchased it in November of 2011 and it worked great for a year and then about about 2 months ago I started getting the back ink marks on the photos. Sometimes I can print 1 or 2 photos without the ink marks but then the next 5 or 6 will have them.

I'm about ready to throw it into the trash and buy something else to print with.

Bob

Have any of you checked your purge pad or capping station where the head sits during non use?

Part of the maintenance process for PRO printers is the monthly cleaning of that are. You add cleaning fluid or Windex with ammonia, let it sit for a few minutes and blot it off. If there is build up of liquid ink goo anywhere, it will be there. Any ink build up under the head will be deposited as black mark usually running either in the direction of paper feed or head travel.

Heads strikes due to printing on thick material will be more likely to occur and leave marks.

If there is indeed a universally occurring problem with the front feed for instance, it seems to go unnoticed as many people including me can print on most materials by feeding through the top feed. and increasing the platen gap accordingly.

Bob Petruska here in the forum probably has the most experience with this printer and has yet to experience any such problems.

I would love to see a list of settings on the R3000 that are causing these marks.

Or is it totally a random occurrence?

How are you feeding the paper and what papers are you printing on.

OEM inks or 3rd party.

Joe

Joe,

I am using Epson ink and use mostly Epson paper and some Red River paper. I used Epson Luster mostly and rarely used the Red River Polar Pearl Metallic. In the 17 months that I have had it I think I have printed on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper 5 or 6 times. I probably print 3 or 4 photos a week.

I have clean the pads and did all the things that you suggested to op of this thread  to do as i have been following this thread and his older thread. But nothing has helped.

Bob

First, I haven't seen this problem with my R3000 and it will be a year old in May.  I have printed 800+ prints with it.

Now just for a test if you are using the PK black, switch to MK black, or do the opposite.  Print your test photos with the the different black just to see if you still get the black marks.

If you now get black marks, switch the balcks again, and if you get black marks again, there could be an issue with the feed tubes - switching mechanism.

Just a guess....

Bob P.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,058
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to lilredss, Mar 31, 2013

lilredss wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

lilredss wrote:

I have been following your problem and am anxiously waiting for some fix for your problem.  My R3000 does the same thing.  I purchased it in November of 2011 and it worked great for a year and then about about 2 months ago I started getting the back ink marks on the photos. Sometimes I can print 1 or 2 photos without the ink marks but then the next 5 or 6 will have them.

I'm about ready to throw it into the trash and buy something else to print with.

Bob

Have any of you checked your purge pad or capping station where the head sits during non use?

Part of the maintenance process for PRO printers is the monthly cleaning of that are. You add cleaning fluid or Windex with ammonia, let it sit for a few minutes and blot it off. If there is build up of liquid ink goo anywhere, it will be there. Any ink build up under the head will be deposited as black mark usually running either in the direction of paper feed or head travel.

Heads strikes due to printing on thick material will be more likely to occur and leave marks.

If there is indeed a universally occurring problem with the front feed for instance, it seems to go unnoticed as many people including me can print on most materials by feeding through the top feed. and increasing the platen gap accordingly.

Bob Petruska here in the forum probably has the most experience with this printer and has yet to experience any such problems.

I would love to see a list of settings on the R3000 that are causing these marks.

Or is it totally a random occurrence?

How are you feeding the paper and what papers are you printing on.

OEM inks or 3rd party.

Joe

Joe,

I am using Epson ink and use mostly Epson paper and some Red River paper. I used Epson Luster mostly and rarely used the Red River Polar Pearl Metallic. In the 17 months that I have had it I think I have printed on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper 5 or 6 times. I probably print 3 or 4 photos a week.

I have clean the pads and did all the things that you suggested to op of this thread  to do as i have been following this thread and his older thread. But nothing has helped.

Bob

Well, spots like those you are all describing can only occur from excess ink collecting on the under surface of the head, or on the purge pad for the head to pick up. So there might indeed be a problem with the R3000 although you all are only about 5 among hundreds of other users without there problems.

Hopefully Epson will take proper care of you guys.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lilredss
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
Re: Just soemthing to try....
In reply to Petruska, Mar 31, 2013

First, I haven't seen this problem with my R3000 and it will be a year old in May.  I have printed 800+ prints with it.

Now just for a test if you are using the PK black, switch to MK black, or do the opposite.  Print your test photos with the the different black just to see if you still get the black marks.

If you now get black marks, switch the balcks again, and if you get black marks again, there could be an issue with the feed tubes - switching mechanism.

Just a guess....

Bob P.

I didn't see it until my printer was about 14 months old.  The first year it was great.  I have had it happen when printing with photo black and also happen when using matt black.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,488
Like?
Re: Just soemthing to try....
In reply to lilredss, Mar 31, 2013

lilredss wrote:

First, I haven't seen this problem with my R3000 and it will be a year old in May.  I have printed 800+ prints with it.

Now just for a test if you are using the PK black, switch to MK black, or do the opposite.  Print your test photos with the the different black just to see if you still get the black marks.

If you now get black marks, switch the balcks again, and if you get black marks again, there could be an issue with the feed tubes - switching mechanism.

Just a guess....

Bob P.

I didn't see it until my printer was about 14 months old.  The first year it was great.  I have had it happen when printing with photo black and also happen when using matt black.

Bob

Well that's still sort of good news that both blacks give smudges as that eliminates a bad cartridge or air introduced at the cartridge output port seal.

Do you ever get black smudges when you run say 10 nozzle checks in a row?  If it's a hardware fault you would think that it would also show up in a nozzle check.

Bob P.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lilredss
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
Re: Just soemthing to try....
In reply to Petruska, Mar 31, 2013

Have never done more than 1 nozzle check at a time.  I'll try running 10 of them and see what happens.

I have never seen the black lines when runnin a single nozzle check.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to lilredss, Apr 1, 2013

lilredss wrote:

I have been following your problem and am anxiously waiting for some fix for your problem.  My R3000 does the same thing.  I purchased it in November of 2011 and it worked great for a year and then about about 2 months ago I started getting the back ink marks on the photos. Sometimes I can print 1 or 2 photos without the ink marks but then the next 5 or 6 will have them.

I'm about ready to throw it into the trash and buy something else to print with.

Bob

Interesting that my R3000 also worked fine for about the first year and then the ink marks started to be a problem, I was managing to print  some but it was getting expensive due to the ink marks messing up lots of paper and of course the ink that went along with it. Calling the service place tomorrow first thing in the morning. I will update this post when I find out what's going to happen.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,636Gear list
Like?
Some thoughts:
In reply to Santelia, Apr 1, 2013

Obviously these marks are caused by ink getting somewhere it shouldn’t be and then is transfered back onto the suceeding print(s).  Here are a few  ways I have experienced this.  Unfortunately much of this has been discussed.

1. Printing on thick stock where the head hits the surface and transfers elsewhere.

2. Over spray from printing full bleed/borderless prints.  The excess ink gets transferred elsewhere via a variety of moving parts and surfaces.

3. Ink buildup.  After a while all inks congeal and tend to become the consistency of axel grease; typically at the wiper and capping areas.  This ‘stuff’ can be transferred to other parts of the printer.  The most problematic is the bottom of the print head itself.

4. Hairs or dust bunnies can transfer ink to other places in the printer.

5. Printer or computer gliches where the head sprays when it shouldn’t …say on a wiping cycle between prints.

6. Missing or malfunctioning rollers can allow freshly inked surfaces to transfer from one print to another.

All of these ways can happen with a perfectly funtioning printer with the exception of #6 rollers.  And this can sometimes be difficult to percieve.  Epson repair should be able to diagnose this...BUT...

Most of these ways presuppose ‘dirty’ internals where the most difficult place to clean is the underside of the head.  Every printer I have ever seen somehow gets ink inside itself where it shouldn’t be even if its from some bad paper feeds.  Often it presents no problems but all too often it does.  And when it does, I clean thoroughly and completely.  Personally I use PLAIN original Windex… mainly because it works so amazingly well these last 15+ years and I’m loathe to use anything else that MIGHT prove problematic over time.  For someone who has not done this before, I think that the best advice is to use disposable gloves and tons of Q-tips.  Use them once and throw them away into a basket with liner.  I have clamping forceps available for hard to reach places (on some printers).  I try to avoid 'blotting' with (plain high quality) kleenex because of tissue residue but sometimes its such a mess in there that isn't possible.  Tiny amounts of ink will dilute and cover the entire known universe and that isn’t much of an exaggeration.  This means that when you think its clean, you might only be starting.

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: Some thoughts:
In reply to Bruce Oudekerk, Apr 2, 2013

Bruce,

Thanks for taking the time to share some thoughts, for a while I thought that it was as simple as just printing whenever a few prints were required for the occasion and yet after running into this mess and then reading posts by Bob, Joe and others with many years of experience in the business I realized that maintaining printers running without problems requires a great deal of effort and time, since the printer had worked fine for over a year I honestly didn't think I would have a problem. Most of the equipment I use has rarely failed me; cameras, lenses etc.

I call the local service place twice today and no luck getting someone to return my calls, very frustrating.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lilredss
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to Santelia, Apr 3, 2013

Well I finally got in touch with Epson support and they weren't much help.  The guy wouldn't listen to me.  As soon as I said black ink on the printed photo he jumped on the dirty roller thing.  I try to tell that if I raise the cover and watch it print that a thin line of black ink appears after the head has passed over that area.  But he wouldn't buy that.

After I finally got him off the phone I took it to a local repair shop that repairs all the printers for NCSU.  I took a couple of my messed up photos with me, as soon as he saw the photos he said the ink management module in the head was bad.  He said that he had another R3000 sitting in the shop with the same problem. That the part was back ordered and he didn't know for sure how long it would be before he could get the part.  He said that the part was 275.00 with 125.00 labor, so with taxes and all it will be over 400.00.

I thanked him and told him that I had a show on April 25th and needed a printer.  He said that it was very unlikely that he would have the part in time.

So I took my printer and went home and ordered a 3880.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - UPDATE
In reply to lilredss, Apr 3, 2013

This afternoon I received a call from the local repair shop and was told that Epson had agreed to replace the printer. Total time invested after sending to Epson twice and returned with the same problem; 7 weeks. I don't know if what I will receive it's a refurbished printer or new, I hope that it will work ok so that I can move on. Thanks to all for your input and suggestions, truly appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - no end in sight
In reply to lilredss, Apr 3, 2013

lilredss wrote:

Well I finally got in touch with Epson support and they weren't much help.  The guy wouldn't listen to me.  As soon as I said black ink on the printed photo he jumped on the dirty roller thing.  I try to tell that if I raise the cover and watch it print that a thin line of black ink appears after the head has passed over that area.  But he wouldn't buy that.

After I finally got him off the phone I took it to a local repair shop that repairs all the printers for NCSU.  I took a couple of my messed up photos with me, as soon as he saw the photos he said the ink management module in the head was bad.  He said that he had another R3000 sitting in the shop with the same problem. That the part was back ordered and he didn't know for sure how long it would be before he could get the part.  He said that the part was 275.00 with 125.00 labor, so with taxes and all it will be over 400.00.

I thanked him and told him that I had a show on April 25th and needed a printer.  He said that it was very unlikely that he would have the part in time.

So I took my printer and went home and ordered a 3880.

Bob

I see you don't have the time to wait due to your needs, if you read my update my situation went on for about 7 weeks and I do hope with the replacement I can move on, maybe wishful thinking.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Sante

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,058
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - UPDATE
In reply to Santelia, Apr 4, 2013

Santelia wrote:

This afternoon I received a call from the local repair shop and was told that Epson had agreed to replace the printer. Total time invested after sending to Epson twice and returned with the same problem; 7 weeks. I don't know if what I will receive it's a refurbished printer or new, I hope that it will work ok so that I can move on. Thanks to all for your input and suggestions, truly appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Sante

It will likely be a refurbished unit since you've had your for more than a month in you possession.

Hopefully they will make an exception in your case.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - UPDATE
In reply to jtoolman, Apr 4, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Santelia wrote:

This afternoon I received a call from the local repair shop and was told that Epson had agreed to replace the printer. Total time invested after sending to Epson twice and returned with the same problem; 7 weeks. I don't know if what I will receive it's a refurbished printer or new, I hope that it will work ok so that I can move on. Thanks to all for your input and suggestions, truly appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Sante

It will likely be a refurbished unit since you've had your for more than a month in you possession.

Hopefully they will make an exception in your case.

Joe

I hope they do Joe, and I guess you meant to write more than a year in my possession.

Now if only Nikon would fix the left focus point on my D800e that would be outstanding, waiting for the camera to return from their service dept.

-- hide signature --

Sante

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - UPDATE
In reply to Santelia, Apr 4, 2013

For members that have been following this thread, as I write this the re-furbished R3000 that I picked up today from the repair shop is doing a head cleaning, first thing I tried was a nozzle check and lines were missing or broken from several patterns. I don't really know what to expect after this, let me check; ok, finished cleaning the head and I did follow up nozzle check, same broken patterns and some extra ink on top of the page. UNBELIEVABLE!

-- hide signature --

Sante

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Santelia
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: R3000 problems and - UPDATE
In reply to Santelia, Apr 4, 2013

Oh, I think I read in another post that the owner of his Epson R3000 was going to take out and shoot  it, I am deciding between my double barrel 12 g. or maybe the 357 not sure.....

-- hide signature --

Sante

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads