Photoshop upgrade no longer possible

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions
Larrycf
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Photoshop upgrade no longer possible
Mar 29, 2013

I think it's sad (and greedy) that Adobe no longer offers upgrade pricing on Photoshop and other Creative Suite software. They want to force everyone to the cloud and pay endlessly for a subscription. Unfortunately some of us don't have deep pockets to do this so, reluctantly, I will be looking for alternative software. Too bad. I think Adobe will lose a lot of customers from this move.

David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,544Gear list
Like?
Re: Photoshop upgrade no longer possible
In reply to Larrycf, Mar 29, 2013

Larrycf wrote:

I think it's sad (and greedy) that Adobe no longer offers upgrade pricing on Photoshop and other Creative Suite software. They want to force everyone to the cloud and pay endlessly for a subscription. Unfortunately some of us don't have deep pockets to do this so, reluctantly, I will be looking for alternative software. Too bad. I think Adobe will lose a lot of customers from this move.

It looks like Microsoft is taking this tac as well. I see that you can buy the office suite two ways, either with a 1 year license or outright. The EDA Tool market has been this way for years with some of those tools costing multiple 10's of thousands per year per user.  I am afraid that this may be a trend. It is tough to get people to keep buying a mature tool like Photoshop after all, it has been more than most people need for quite a few years.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,085Gear list
Like?

Larrycf wrote:

Unfortunately some of us don't have deep pockets to do this so, reluctantly, I will be looking for alternative software. Too bad. I think Adobe will lose a lot of customers from this move.

Or they are pushing people to cheaper products that do most of what they want:  Lightroom.

Adobe slashed the price when v4 came out from $300 to just $150 for the full version and the upgrade version from $99 to $69 (or was it $79).  Lightroom does all I want and the little else I do Photoshop Elements 5 does nicely for my needs.  $69 every 2 years for a  new version of Lightroom is cheap.  Go that route!

Colin Franks
Contributing MemberPosts: 906Gear list
Like?

Larrycf wrote:

I think it's sad (and greedy) that Adobe no longer offers upgrade pricing on Photoshop and other Creative Suite software. They want to force everyone to the cloud and pay endlessly for a subscription.

So that's it?  My CS6 is the last upgrade?  If that's the case, that'll be the farthest I go with them.  It's a greedy and bullyish move on their part.

-- hide signature --

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +17 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,559Gear list
Like?

Larrycf wrote:

If you're on a Mac, try Pixelmator from the App store. It's a lot like Photoshop, but not very expensive.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534
Like?
What do you need in CS7

Larrycf wrote:

What can't you accomplish with CS6 that  is costing you money and/ or time doing without (that would have been in CS7) ?

I have not needed or made use of any new software abilities in at least a couple of years.

merops
Senior MemberPosts: 1,254
Like?

Larrycf wrote:

I think it's sad (and greedy) that Adobe no longer offers upgrade pricing on Photoshop and other Creative Suite software.

Can you provide a link to the news? Thanks.

Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?

I have only heard they are no longer selling packaged software. Are you sure you they are no longer selling licenses? adobe has sold licenses electronically for years

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,452Gear list
Like?

You can buy an upgrade on the adobe site.

hjr13's gear list:hjr13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,651Gear list
Like?
Love their products, dislike the company

Biggest reason? If I change cameras, Nikon does not make Adobe raw backwardly compatable with previous versions (with new cameras). I find it astounding that I pay top dollar for a product, then must upgrade if i want to get a new camera. And No, I don't use DNG. I use Lightroom because its cheaper and works great.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +3 more
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,658
Like?
Re: What do you need in CS7
In reply to DenWil, Mar 29, 2013

DenWil wrote:  I have not needed or made use of any new software abilities in at least a couple of years.

Exactly.  I am still using PS v7 as it does all I need (I do have CS2 - also unused).  I worked with film for years and only need to use the equivalent of what I used in the conventional darkroom - of course, that does mean learning technique so the captured image itself is of inherent high quality.

I use the camera manufacturer's RAW software to obtain high quality JPEGs (Sigma and Kodak) so have no need of "adapted" RAW offerings in such as Photoshop - I do have Lightroom but find it is somewhat clumsy for my purposes - I can easily organise my image files and folders myself, using Windoze Explorer.  Far better, I reckon, so LR sits there, unloved and in reality - a wasted purchase.  

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Larrycf
Like?
In reply to Colin Franks, Mar 29, 2013

Actually you can no longer buy a CS6 upgrade...just the cloud version at (I think) $29.99 per month. Goodbye Photoshop!!

Larrycf
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks. I've looked at it and GIMP. GIMP is open source and has a Mac version now.

Larrycf
Like?
In reply to merops, Mar 29, 2013

Just go to Adobe's website and try to find an upgrade from Photoshop CS5.1 to CS6. It is no longer there. Only a cloud subscription.

Larrycf
Like?
In reply to Kodachrome200, Mar 29, 2013

See my previous reply. Go to adobe's website and try to find and upgrade price to Photoshop CS6...Doesn't exist...only a cloud subscription price.

Larrycf
Like?
In reply to hjr13, Mar 29, 2013

Only to the cloud.

areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470Gear list
Like?
Re: Love their products, dislike the company
In reply to sandy b, Mar 29, 2013

sandy b wrote:

Biggest reason? If I change cameras, Nikon does not make Adobe raw backwardly compatable with previous versions (with new cameras). I find it astounding that I pay top dollar for a product, then must upgrade if i want to get a new camera. And No, I don't use DNG. I use Lightroom because its cheaper and works great.

But DNG is always a possibility. The DNG Converter from Adobe (Mac, Windows) is free and presumably will stay that way. I agree it's a giant PIA, but for better or for worse this is the essence of capitalism- what's worth more to you? Your money, or your current workflow and time?

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
ReflectivePhoto
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

There is a lot of miss information in this thread. You can certainly still buy the full, upgrade, or subscripiton to Photoshop CS6, but upgrade is only allowed from CS5. It was about a year ago I think when Adobe let everyone know that moving forward you would only be able to upgrade from one version previous to the current the version. At that time people were given the option to upgrade from earlier versions to CS5 and many elected not to, so now they are faced with going the subscription route or paying for the full CS6.

The following URL will take you to the Photoshop CS6 buying grade and show that an upgrade from CS5 to CS6 is available for $199 US. What confuses people is that their base Buy control is for the subscription, but if you click the Buy button you then have the option of selected a subcription, upgrade, or full product to purchase.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html

I personally just upgraded from CS5 to CS6 a month or so ago for $199.

MaxTux
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
Gimp

Photoshop might be more capable in some aspects,  but for image editing, Gimp does all I ever found necessary to do.

I don't mind at all paying for application software, as long as I truly own something that I bought. I refuse to be "a subscriber", or to be forced to continuously pay for operational "upgrades" that bring no new functionality, or deal with brittle "protection/activation" mechanisms, or be unable to use the software I own on any number of computers I also own.

MaxTux

Larrycf
Like?
Re: Gimp
In reply to MaxTux, Mar 29, 2013

AMEN! I couldn't agree with you more.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads