Wow, the low light deficiencies of the Evolt 5xx line can be remedied with a simple lens

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
vjk2
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
Wow, the low light deficiencies of the Evolt 5xx line can be remedied with a simple lens
Mar 28, 2013

You can find manual focus 50mm nikkor lenses for under $100 on ebay, f1.8 or f2.

Low light with such lens suddenly becomes very good.

BDTROUT
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
Re: Wow, the low light deficiencies of the Evolt 5xx line can be remedied with a simple lens
In reply to vjk2, Mar 29, 2013

picked up a Nikon 50mm 1.4 a few yrs ago and use it all the time on my e620. Great combo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?
Re: Wow, the low light deficiencies of the Evolt 5xx line can be remedied with a simple lens

Thanks for the tip - I may look into that someday.

Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,497Gear list
Like?

vjk2 wrote:

You can find manual focus 50mm nikkor lenses for under $100 on ebay, f1.8 or f2.

Read some reviews, those old 50mm lenses are just so-so IQ wise wide open. The dz 50 is a much better choice.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +12 more
vjk2
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, Mar 29, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

vjk2 wrote:

Read some reviews, those old 50mm lenses are just so-so IQ wise wide open. The dz 50 is a much better choice.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Yeah, I suspected as much. Still, because this is 4/3rds, negative effects should be reduced, right? I'd expect negative effects from wide apertures to occur at the fringes.

btw, holy cow, a dz 50-200 is $1,199.00 at amazon.com. What sort of recommendation is this?

How to...figure out the models of the lenses? The only one I can find is...L37? Anyways, this combined with a viewfinder upgrade makes for a pretty good refurbishment of the E-series.

viorel
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?

for the price, they may be good but don't expect the quality of 50 mm zd. Wide open they suffer of low contrast and less resolution. They were designed for film camera and film was more forgiving than current modern digital sensors/ You need very good (expensive) glass to design lenses for current digital sensors.

I have Nikkor 50 1.8 and Zuiko manual 50 1.8 and tested them on Epl1 (that has weak low pass filter). They start to get ok at 2.8 with good performance at f4 but that's already kit lens territory. The only advantage I see is they are smaller (but not by much with adapter). No one came close to ZD 50 mm not even stopped down at f 5.6. (ZD 50 can be had cheap these days, between 300-400 $)

However if IQ is not that important and just need something to gather enough light, at cheap price, they are ok-ish.

PS. If you can find a Sigma 30 1.4 designed for 4/3 - that's an amazing lens, sharp wide open, and can make a difference. ...less expensive than ZD but not easy to find

Best

-- hide signature --
Entropius
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,158
Like?

vjk2 wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

vjk2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Yeah, I suspected as much. Still, because this is 4/3rds, negative effects should be reduced, right? I'd expect negative effects from wide apertures to occur at the fringes.

btw, holy cow, a dz 50-200 is $1,199.00 at amazon.com. What sort of recommendation is this?

How to...figure out the models of the lenses? The only one I can find is...L37? Anyways, this combined with a viewfinder upgrade makes for a pretty good refurbishment of the E-series.

That's way too high.

You can get a used 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 mk1 for under $500, but I think he was talking about the 50 f/2 ZD lens (used, $350).

Entropius
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,158
Like?
They're not that bad!
In reply to viorel, Mar 29, 2013

Here's a shot from the OM Zuiko 50/1.8, shot wide open on an E-510:

vjk2
Like?
In reply to viorel, Mar 29, 2013

viorel wrote:

for the price, they may be good but don't expect the quality of 50 mm zd. Wide open they suffer of low contrast and less resolution. They were designed for film camera and film was more forgiving than current modern digital sensors/ You need very good (expensive) glass to design lenses for current digital sensors.

I have Nikkor 50 1.8 and Zuiko manual 50 1.8 and tested them on Epl1 (that has weak low pass filter). They start to get ok at 2.8 with good performance at f4 but that's already kit lens territory. The only advantage I see is they are smaller (but not by much with adapter). No one came close to ZD 50 mm not even stopped down at f 5.6. (ZD 50 can be had cheap these days, between 300-400 $)

However if IQ is not that important and just need something to gather enough light, at cheap price, they are ok-ish.

PS. If you can find a Sigma 30 1.4 designed for 4/3 - that's an amazing lens, sharp wide open, and can make a difference. ...less expensive than ZD but not easy to find

Best

-- hide signature --

Hmm. I had suspected that might be the case. Those cheap kit lenses do feel better to use though, and I mean, we live in an era of instagram.

Like, any side by side comparison of what the disparity would look like?

viorel
Like?
Re: They're not that bad!
In reply to Entropius, Mar 30, 2013

Nice picture (and nice cat btw:)) but it is the good bokeh that gives the quality in this case. I will try to post some tests soon.

best

-- hide signature --
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,497Gear list
Like?
In reply to vjk2, Mar 30, 2013

I was talking about the f2 50mm macro.

And yes these lenses are soft in the center wide open and trying to MF on a 4/3 camera is no fun, esp in low light. The OP sounds good on the surface but in use it doesn't pan out. I tried the OM 50 f1.8 and was disappointed when used wide open. The nikon optics of that vintage aren't much, if any better.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +12 more
viorel
Like?

vjk2 wrote:

I have done some tests some time ago, here they are, the results:

ZD 50 at f2.0

zuiko 50 mm 1.8 at 1.8

Nikkor 50mm 1.8 at 1.8

Don't look too much to the plates, I am not a chef, but they are good for comparison...:)

Best,

Viorel

-- hide signature --
vjk2
Like?
In reply to viorel, Mar 30, 2013

viorel wrote:

vjk2 wrote:

I have done some tests some time ago, here they are, the results:

ZD 50 at f2.0

zuiko 50 mm 1.8 at 1.8

Nikkor 50mm 1.8 at 1.8

Don't look too much to the plates, I am not a chef, but they are good for comparison...:)

Best,

Viorel

-- hide signature --

Very interesting, thanks.

It's kind of hard for me to tell the difference due to the difference in exposure. The latter 2 are brighter than the first shot. Unless that's like a constant difference.

It does seem that the zd50 has better bokah.

kieth kiesel
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
In reply to viorel, Mar 30, 2013

You just made me hungry :-D.

viorel
Like?

vjk2 wrote:

viorel wrote:

vjk2 wrote:

It's kind of hard for me to tell the difference due to the difference in exposure. The latter 2 are brighter than the first shot. Unless that's like a constant difference.

It does seem that the zd50 has better bokah.

shots were taken in the same light, at seconds intervals and the same camera parameters, with IS1 on. ISO was on auto but camera calculated different. The zd shot was taken at higher ISO and slower shutter speed, whilst the other at lowest ISO setting. The overall exposure should be however the same, no exposure compensation was applied (and exposure was consitent between manual lenses).

this may be another difference, camera may expose different between manual and zd lenses.

best

-- hide signature --
viorel
Like?
In reply to kieth kiesel, Mar 30, 2013

kieth kiesel wrote:

You just made me hungry :-D.

thanks...not my intention though

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads