Dell UltraSharp U2412 on Mac mini 2012 or iMac

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
doolymctooly
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Dell UltraSharp U2412 on Mac mini 2012 or iMac
Mar 28, 2013

Hi,

Decided to move to Mac after years on Windows. This will be mostly used for photo editing in Lightroom, so hardware calibration is essential.

I was looking at the iMac, but worry about the screen failing, leaving me without a desktop. The 21.5-inch is too small for me anyway, and I can't afford the 27-inch. Still looking though.

I have a Dell UltraSharp U2412, which I could hopefully use with a Mac mini. Any problems with going for the Mac mini connected to the Dell? What about connections, cables and calibration? (Apologies for the ignorance; I know nothing about Mac hardware.)

Out of interest, is the iMac any good for photography work? Hardware calibration especially.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Dell UltraSharp U2412 on Mac mini 2012 or iMac
In reply to doolymctooly, Mar 28, 2013

I had an imac, which I gave to my son, now have a mac mini with a Dell u2410. You lose a graphic card with it own memory with the mini, but while the imac has a nice screen, the u2410 calibrates truer than the imac.

That's the way I went, and I am happy wit that setup, if that helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
doolymctooly
Like?
In reply to hjr13, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for the info. What type of connection are you using to the monitor from the Mac? I see the mini 2012 had some issues with HDMI.

Thanks.

TheEye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,127
Like?
I have a U2212 attached to Mac-mini (i5)
In reply to doolymctooly, Mar 29, 2013

It's a very good monitor that is fully compatible with the M-m right out of the box. The mini comes with the poper adapter for the monitor cable. Calibration options are not lacking. I have npt had any issues or glitches with the combination of U2212 and Mac-mini.

In terms of image quality the Dell's screen at least matches my 2006 iMac's screen, which was was very good. The Dell screen has however LED backlighting, which means lower power comsumption and increased lifespan.

Stu 5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266
Like?

doolymctooly wrote:

Thanks for the info. What type of connection are you using to the monitor from the Mac? I see the mini 2012 had some issues with HDMI.

Thanks.

That issue with HDMI was sorted out last year with a software upgrade. I purchased a mini after that and use the HDMI and have had no issues what so ever and I use the computer every day for work. So I would not worry about that.

doolymctooly
Like?
In reply to Stu 5, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for the responses guys; looks like I'm going Mac mini route!

Reading on the Apple forums, I see that some people are claiming that using VGA produces the sharpest output - can someone confirm this.

Say I went the VGA route, am I right in thinking I need an Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and on the mini this connects to the Thunderbolt port? Would this connection handle the monitor's 1920 x 1200 resolution?

Thanks.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,186
Like?

According to Dell's technical specifications for the UltraSharp U2412M, it has a VGA input, a DVI-D input, and a DisplayPort input.

So why not just get a MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable and be done with it?

doolymctooly
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Mar 29, 2013

Tom_N wrote:

According to Dell's technical specifications for the UltraSharp U2412M, it has a VGA input, a DVI-D input, and a DisplayPort input.

So why not just get a MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable and be done with it?

Because I don't have experience with such technologies apart from VGA. I obviously want the best possible picture, so whatever connection achieves that goal I'll go with it.

Paul T. Klein
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?

I have a mini attached to a U2413, displayport to dvi - works great.

Paul

ClintB
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
In reply to doolymctooly, Apr 6, 2013

At work, we have a total of four people using 2012 Minis's, all using dual U2412M monitors. All are connected via HDMI to DVI, and mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort. Works like a champ!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads