Long Panos on Epson 3880

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
mike clemens
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Long Panos on Epson 3880
Mar 28, 2013

I am having trouble searching/googling for "state of the art" information on this topic.

I have a 3880 and am willing to buy rolls and a nice rototrimmer to cut some sheets for it. I believe the printer out of the box will go up to 38" but I would like to do some 50" or 60" prints.
Is there a RIP application that has become a de facto standard, or most recommended for this task? Everything I find searching is either 2011 or 2010 and I've got to imagine that there have been changes/improvements.

thanks for any insights

Mike Clemens

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,627
Like?
Re: Long Panos on Epson 3880
In reply to mike clemens, Mar 28, 2013

A well-discussed topic.  The Epson driver will do 37.5" inches.  Same if you think you  can fake it out using Qimage.  Only a $$ RIP like ImagePrint, BlueCube (maybe) and TurboPrint will let you get past the limit.  There was a guy who did a hack to a specific older version of the PC driver (v5.5 ??) to get past the limit too.  You'll also have to manage the roll of paper and paper feed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,197
Like?
In reply to mike clemens, Mar 28, 2013

mike clemens wrote:

I have a 3880 and am willing to buy rolls and a nice rototrimmer to cut some sheets for it. I believe the printer out of the box will go up to 38" but I would like to do some 50" or 60" prints.
Is there a RIP application that has become a de facto standard, or most recommended for this task? Everything I find searching is either 2011 or 2010 and I've got to imagine that there have been changes/improvements.

38", 37.5", do I hear any other bids? It is actually a 95 cm limit, or approximately 37.4 inches.

A RIP will cost you at least as much as you paid for the printer. Do a web search for PrintFab. It is a RIP that is currently in beta, and as such is free for the time being. When it goes out of beta, who knows what you will have to pay for it.

The European version of the Epson 3880 comes with Mirage RIP, or at least a version of it. It allows borderless printing at any length, but is still limited to 95 cm.

Brian A

mike clemens
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 29, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

38", 37.5", do I hear any other bids? It is actually a 95 cm limit, or approximately 37.4 inches.

A RIP will cost you at least as much as you paid for the printer. Do a web search for PrintFab. It is a RIP that is currently in beta, and as such is free for the time being. When it goes out of beta, who knows what you will have to pay for it.

The European version of the Epson 3880 comes with Mirage RIP, or at least a version of it. It allows borderless printing at any length, but is still limited to 95 cm.

Brian A

Thanks for that.

OK I thought for sure someone out there by now would have cook-booked it...  do this, do that, install this, go.. sounds like it's in about the same place as earlier web pages out there describe.

Bummer on the RIP prices.. might as well invest in a 7900 or something proper. It's just that the 3880 has such a good reputation for always working, when compared to the other bigger brothers.

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to mike clemens, Mar 29, 2013

mike clemens wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

Brian A

Thanks for that.

OK I thought for sure someone out there by now would have cook-booked it...  do this, do that, install this, go.. sounds like it's in about the same place as earlier web pages out there describe.

Bummer on the RIP prices.. might as well invest in a 7900 or something proper. It's just that the 3880 has such a good reputation for always working, when compared to the other bigger brothers.

You cannot 'cookbook' it, it would basically involve rewriting the driver, and almost invariably, drivers are written in Assembly. RIPs replace the driver.

PrintFab basically generates a new driver from the existing driver, you might look at it as a virtual driver.

Brian A

mike clemens
Like?

You cannot 'cookbook' it, it would basically involve rewriting the driver, and almost invariably, drivers are written in Assembly. RIPs replace the driver.

PrintFab basically generates a new driver from the existing driver, you might look at it as a virtual driver.

Brian A

Now that I better know what to search for "Printfab".. I find good thread like this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50546424

That is pretty encouraging. I would imagine the guy who posted that thread could write the "cookbook" for us all now.

1) install printfab
2) <unknown to me configuration steps>
3) Each time you print: turn color mgmt off in PF
4) print 17x60.. enjoy

Question -

Does installing something like PrintFab affect your existing Epson driver install, and their normal operation? Will I still be able to print everything small in the normal workflows I am accustomed to?

Hugowolf
Like?

mike clemens wrote:

Brian A

Now that I better know what to search for "Printfab".. I find good thread like this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50546424

That is pretty encouraging. I would imagine the guy who posted that thread could write the "cookbook" for us all now.

1) install printfab
2) <unknown to me configuration steps>
3) Each time you print: turn color mgmt off in PF
4) print 17x60.. enjoy

Question -

Does installing something like PrintFab affect your existing Epson driver install, and their normal operation? Will I still be able to print everything small in the normal workflows I am accustomed to?

I have never used it. I have a roll feed printer along with the 3880. But from what I understand, it creates a virtual driver. You have the choice of the printer (its driver) or the virtual driver (as another printer).

Brian A

mike clemens
Like?

I have never used it. I have a roll feed printer along with the 3880. But from what I understand, it creates a virtual driver. You have the choice of the printer (its driver) or the virtual driver (as another printer).

Brian A

I bucked up and installed it. Now I've got a PrintFab driver sitting right beside my old driver. Can go with either path... and PrintFab is gleefully accepting a print for a 17x60 pano.... now if I only had the paper.

irvweiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

Tape some paper sheets together and check it out. Cut 3 sheets of letter size in half the long way, tape to a total length of 66in.  Print--good or bad????

irv weiner

mike clemens
Like?
In reply to irvweiner, Mar 29, 2013

irvweiner wrote:

Tape some paper sheets together and check it out. Cut 3 sheets of letter size in half the long way, tape to a total length of 66in.  Print--good or bad????

irv weiner

<salutes> <sylvester cat voice> I ACCEPT THIS MISSION!

mike clemens
Like?
Mission Accomplished

irvweiner wrote:

irv weiner

I wasn't quite wanting to waste (3) 8x10's of ink so I sliced up (2) 8x10's... final print size was:

43.5" x 3.75"
( 1105 mm x 95 mm )

At 110 cm, well past the Epson driver 95cm limit.

Worked... perfectly. OMG is this the part where I order a rototrim and a roll of exhibition fiber?

irvweiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

Congrats, you are the 3rd 3880 user to succeed.

For paper, visit Breathing Color and order several trial rolls of paper and canvas. Cost is from $10 to $25 for 17inx20ft.

Search my posts here for more info on feeding canvas into the 3880.

I purchased a M24 Rotatrim, not cheap (~$265) but supposed to last forever according to the many Sr Citizen users that have now racked up more than 25 yrs on them. You will require the M24 for cutting canvas cleanly. However, I recently bought an Alvin (24x36) cutting matte (~$40) and a handheld Friskar 9521 rotary cutter (~$12)--adequate to cut roll stock. Canvas and paper plus trimming--a good head start.

irv weiner

mike clemens
Like?

irvweiner wrote:

Congrats, you are the 3rd 3880 user to succeed.

For paper, visit Breathing Color and order several trial rolls of paper and canvas. Cost is from $10 to $25 for 17inx20ft.

Search my posts here for more info on feeding canvas into the 3880.

I purchased a M24 Rotatrim, not cheap (~$265) but supposed to last forever according to the many Sr Citizen users that have now racked up more than 25 yrs on them. You will require the M24 for cutting canvas cleanly. However, I recently bought an Alvin (24x36) cutting matte (~$40) and a handheld Friskar 9521 rotary cutter (~$12)--adequate to cut roll stock. Canvas and paper plus trimming--a good head start.

irv weiner

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

My only hitch on printing this one was Photoshop CS3 refused to even offer "Print" option because the original was about 50,000 pixels wide. I had to drop the res to 30,000 wide. (Which admittedly, was still over 600 dpi at this form factor.) I think they going to force my hand on the latest CS "subscription"... yuck. Maybe I can print them fullsize from Lightroom 4. Naturally if I am doing 17" x 60" I am going to want ALL of the data.

Those are great prices on the canvas.

I'm going to need laser straight edges to get this to feed straight I would imagine. I think the rototrim is the best solution for me long term.

I am going to need something to flatten these sheets, aren't I?

TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,045
Like?

"I am going to need something to flatten these sheets, aren't I?"

By a lucky coincidence I asked the UK importer of Breathing Color that same question yesterday. I have just bought two 'sample' rolls and once cut into sheets they are unuseable. He replied:-

"A cheap and relatively effective method for removing curl is to use a tube
(such as the inner tube from a used roll or similar) and cover in something
soft such as the thin sheets of foam that is often used for packing. Using
the protected tube you can then roll the paper (carefully) in the opposite
direction, preferably wearing white cotton gloves. We have used that
technique ourselves quite a lot here for samples but so far only for matte
fine art papers, should do the trick with photo paper too though. "

I have yet to try his idea and would obviously like to hear of any other suggestions in case this does not work.

Tony

London UK

JJ Winkel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?

mike clemens wrote:

My only hitch on printing this one was Photoshop CS3 refused to even offer "Print" option because the original was about 50,000 pixels wide. I had to drop the res to 30,000 wide.

As Printfab generates a new virtual printer, I wonder if using Qimage with this vprinter would remove this restriction ?

-- hide signature --

JJ.

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to JJ Winkel, Mar 29, 2013

JJ Winkel wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

My only hitch on printing this one was Photoshop CS3 refused to even offer "Print" option because the original was about 50,000 pixels wide. I had to drop the res to 30,000 wide.

As Printfab generates a new virtual printer, I wonder if using Qimage with this vprinter would remove this restriction ?

Perhaps, I don't know what limits QImage has, but Photoshop CS6 has limits of 300,000 pixels in both dimensions (90 gigapixels), the same with Lightroom 4, which would be a less expensive option than upgrading Photoshop to CS6. At the 3880 native RGB resolution of 360 ppi, that would give you a little less than 70 feet, which should be adequate for most applications.

At that sort of size, there may well be other parts of the pipeline that blow. I know Keith Cooper's 14 metre Leicester pano had to be reduced to I think 108 ppi to get it to print:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/14m_pano_print.html

Photoshop Elements might be another less expensive option, but I have no idea what its pixel limitations are.

Brian A

mike clemens
Like?
In reply to mike clemens, Apr 16, 2013

mike clemens wrote:

I am having trouble searching/googling for "state of the art" information on this topic.

thanks for any insights

Mike Clemens

24" Rototrim on hand now, and 17"x50' roll of Exhibition Fiber has arrived..... looks like it's time to go for broke !

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to mike clemens, Apr 16, 2013

mike clemens wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

thanks for any insights

Mike Clemens

24" Rototrim on hand now, and 17"x50' roll of Exhibition Fiber has arrived..... looks like it's time to go for broke !

Be sure to use a drafting brush after cutting to make sure that there are any stray dust particles  before you print.

Brian A

mike clemens
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 16, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

thanks for any insights

Mike Clemens

Be sure to use a drafting brush after cutting to make sure that there are any stray dust particles  before you print.

Brian A

Thanks I appreciate the reminder. I will do extra dust duty and get my air cleaner running as well. Honestly it's getting kind of St. Bernard Shedding in Springtime around here.

TeleView
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
In reply to mike clemens, Apr 26, 2013

I am wondering if printing from for instance Quark Xpress would do the job? It can setup whatever paper size you want ... however I think that is would print lots of pages, and you have to stick them together ... so perhaps a RIP would be required afterall. But I think it would ignore the file size restriction imposed by photoshop's pixel limits.

Only a thought from an ignorant amateur considering buying a 3880 ... and I recall years ago using a Canon 1290, making a large poster from I think 16 A3 sheets ... I could not tell where the sheets joined, so the poster (using cheapish matt paper) looked like it was a super high quality job from a super quality wide format printer.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads