Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 26,003
Like?
Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
Mar 28, 2013

A review of the Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW was just posted on Pentax Forums (dot) com.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,935Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW
In reply to brandrx, Mar 28, 2013

Huh... their findings don't actually sound all that impressive.  If the DA* 300 is sharp at max aperture, why does this one not get good until f8?

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,975
Like?
In reply to paulkienitz, Mar 28, 2013

I agree, it doesn't sound spectacular, however maybe they should do a review of the Sigma 500mm F4.5 for comparison

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,798Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Mar 28, 2013

MightyMike wrote:

I agree, it doesn't sound spectacular, however maybe they should do a review of the Sigma 500mm F4.5 for comparison

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

I was thinking that too, looks pretty mediocre for a $7000 lens, but I never shoot longer than 200 or 300mm so I don't really know how a lens that long should perform.

Honestly though I would expect very fast focus mechanism for the price.  If it is just okay, that doesn't give people a lot of reason to buy say a Pentax over a Canon/Nikon.  I won't complain though as it is at least a new lens.

I was hoping you or Ron would comment on this since you have a lot more experience with the telephoto lenses.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
brandrx
Like?
In reply to viking79, Mar 28, 2013

viking79 wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

I was thinking that too, looks pretty mediocre for a $7000 lens, but I never shoot longer than 200 or 300mm so I don't really know how a lens that long should perform.

Honestly though I would expect very fast focus mechanism for the price.  If it is just okay, that doesn't give people a lot of reason to buy say a Pentax over a Canon/Nikon.  I won't complain though as it is at least a new lens.

I was hoping you or Ron would comment on this since you have a lot more experience with the telephoto lenses.

Hi Eric,

I won't comment on a lens that I have never used before other than to agree with Mike that it doesn't sound (seem very) spectacular to me either.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,581
Like?

brandrx wrote:

I won't comment on a lens that I have never used before other than to agree with Mike that it doesn't sound (seem very) spectacular to me either.

If it was spectacular, I think they would have called it something besides DA.

Thank you
Russell

Tom Lusk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,064Gear list
Like?

From the intro:

With a focal length of 560mm (840mm equivalent in the 24x36 mm format),

Huh?

brandrx
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Mar 28, 2013

If I didn't already own a Sigma 500mm f4.5 and a Pentax-FA*250-600mm f5.6, and with my testing of my Tamron AF 300mm f2.8 + 2X teleconverter, then I think I might just as soon buy a Sigma 300mm f2.8 + Sigma 2X APO EX DG teleconverter and use that instead.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?
In reply to Tom Lusk, Mar 28, 2013

Tom Lusk wrote:

From the intro:

Huh?

560mm when used on APS-C is equivilent FOV of an 840mm lens that is used on FF.

Ron

-- hide signature --

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,798Gear list
Like?

Tom Lusk wrote:

From the intro:

Huh?

24x36mm is 135 format or "full frame". I imagine he brings that up since it is a DA lens.

So an 840mm lens used on full frame would look the same as this lens used on APS-C (field of view).  The lens is still a 560mm lens

I utterly despise the idea of "equivalent focal length" (too much confusion).  Spec sheets for C mount lenses list field of view for the various sensor sizes which is more logical to my Vulcan self.

I frequently see people misusing focal length and will say things like I have to have my 35mm lens for my crop sensor, when they really mean they want a 23mm lens, not a 35mm lens.  They leave off the term "equivalent", which is really confusing.  This is really bad in the Fuji forums or even on NEX forums sometimes, where there might be a lot of shooters more used to film, or somehow figure the only proper format is 135.

I think the Pentax forums are the only sensible ones regarding this, and likely because they lack a full frame model and have excellent support for APS-C lenses.

Sorry, I will get off my soap box now.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Tom Lusk
Like?

brandrx wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

From the intro:

Huh?

Ron

I understood it to say 560mm on a apsc camera equates to an 840mm lens on FF camera.

brandrx
Like?

Tom Lusk wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

From the intro:

Huh?

Ron

I understood it to say 560mm on a apsc camera equates to an 840mm lens on FF camera.

The FOV does equate.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,286
Like?

The review took rather long, and yet it does not feature the captivating bird shots that you would expect from a lens like this. Where are the songbirds portrayed posing in all their colorful glory and feather detail?

And where is the promised shootout with the Sigma 500/4.5, which they said they also got a copy from?

This review is just not showcasing the new Pentax DA560mm, certainly at f5.6 there is little or nothing to see for potential buyers. Either the lens is not capable of more, or the time spent on this review was not well spent.

Tom Lusk
Like?

Hi Eric:

Looks like I was confused by the wording.

I'm with you on the "equivalent" deal.

Whenever I read that someone needs more "reach", so prefers not to use a full frame camera with the same size lens, I shake my head.

This lens appears to be a non-starter for me.

My Sigma 500 doesn't require using f8-11 for maximum sharpness, which is a good thing since I rarely get good enough light to shoot such apertures and maintain an appropriate shutter speed.

The CA as exhibited in some of the sample shots would be a pain and, as I don't use a tripod, the comment about the balance of the lens is discouraging.

I think they'll have to drop the price significantly, in order to get a decent amount of sales.

DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulkienitz, Mar 28, 2013

Well,looks like you have to be a tripod birder!

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Tom Lusk
Like?

brandrx wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

From the intro:

Huh?

Ron

The FOV does equate.

Ron

-- hide signature --

But, but, isn't it the other way around - 560mm on a FF equates to an 840mm field of view on an APSC camera?

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,975
Like?
In reply to DAVID MANZE, Mar 28, 2013

There comments on weight distribution don't match my experience with this lens, i'd say its quite comparable to the Sigma 500mm F4.5 in weight distribution... the reviewer may not be accustomed to large telephoto lenses therefore may not be providing an accurate assessment of its handling.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

brandrx
Like?

Tom Lusk wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

From the intro:

Huh?

Ron

The FOV does equate.

Ron

-- hide signature --

But, but, isn't it the other way around - 560mm on a FF equates to an 840mm field of view on an APSC camera?

Put a 560mm lens on an APS-C and an 840mm lens on a FF  and set them up side by side and take and image. Without regard to anything other than FOV the images will look identical. That is why you read that the APS-C has a crop factor of 1.5. So a 560mm (on an APS-C) times 1.5 equals the FOV of an 840mm lens on FF.

Ron

-- hide signature --

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,714Gear list
Like?

No they are right Tom.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,821Gear list
Like?

Tom Lusk wrote:

Hi Eric:

Looks like I was confused by the wording.

I'm with you on the "equivalent" deal.

Whenever I read that someone needs more "reach", so prefers not to use a full frame camera with the same size lens, I shake my head.

Given pixel density and sensor size the statement holds water.

You need a 36mp FF to achieve the same 'reach' as a 16mp aps-c with the same lens @ the same resolution.

This lens appears to be a non-starter for me.

My Sigma 500 doesn't require using f8-11 for maximum sharpness, which is a good thing since I rarely get good enough light to shoot such apertures and maintain an appropriate shutter speed.

You must have a special version then, The only lens I've ever come across that isn't at peak 1-2 stops down form max aperture is the da 40 Limited a unique trait of that one lens.

Your Sigma appears slightly below  standard in that respect peaking at f8-11 just like the Pentax as this Resolution chart clearly shows which from an f4.5 start point is unusual should be f6.3-f7.2 but the graph is pretty small so maybe wrong.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-500mm-f-4-5-apo-ex-dg-interchangeable-lens-review-4553

The CA as exhibited in some of the sample shots would be a pain and, as I don't use a tripod, the comment about the balance of the lens is discouraging.

Sigma are the masters of CA control whereas Pentax always are weak in this area.

I think they'll have to drop the price significantly, in order to get a decent amount of sales.

No price will achieve decent sales they can sell 1 or 2 @$7000 or 1 or 2 @$5000 it already at the low end for an OEM telephoto, to low and its into the 3rd party range so would lose all the prestige buyers.

It's a niche product and not price critical.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads