35mm or 50mm?

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Questions
Tsan
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
35mm or 50mm?
Mar 28, 2013

Hi,

I recently started shooting exclusively 50mm on my full frame Nikon after using zooms for a long time. I like that practice so far.

Now for my Nex7, which lens should I get to kind of match my Nikon where I can interchange both camera to get the same look? I want to get a Sony prime (I have the kit lens) in either the 35mm or 50mm.

Thanks,

Tsan

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?
Re: 35mm or 50mm?
In reply to Tsan, Mar 28, 2013

35mm (SEL35f18)

Or, if you have a bit more money, you can wait for the Zeiss 32mm coming soonish.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fquails
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
In reply to kaku, Mar 28, 2013

Get the 35mm for the N7, to match the FoV of 50mm on your FF Nikon.

I recently purchased the Nikon 35 f/1.8g dx  for use on my N7 via adapter.  Manual focus, but works great.  I plan to use the same lens on my Nikon d7k, d200, and d700.  For the d700, it is usable at 1.8 with minor vignetting.

fquails's gear list:fquails's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 +8 more
Tsan
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
In reply to kaku, Mar 28, 2013

So if I get a 50mm on my Nex7, it will be closer to me using a 85mm on a FF Nikon, right?

Thanks,

Tsan

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?

Right. Though somehow I enjoy using my SEL50 more than I used to with my film SLR & Minolta 50/1.7. It is a different type of photgraphy, focusing more on less

I am tempted to get a 24 mm prime, not the 35 mm because indoors 35 mm is just not enough.

But maybe thats just me.

-- hide signature --
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,031Gear list
Like?

Tsan wrote:

Hi,

I recently started shooting exclusively 50mm on my full frame Nikon after using zooms for a long time. I like that practice so far.

Now for my Nex7, which lens should I get to kind of match my Nikon where I can interchange both camera to get the same look? I want to get a Sony prime (I have the kit lens) in either the 35mm or 50mm.

Thanks,

Tsan

You might consider a Nikon 35mm f2 AF-D - it's a fine lens you can also use on your Nikon. Or if you want o go searching, a Nikon 28mm f2.8 AiS - Photozone.de rates it higher than the 35mm f2, but I find it a bit flat and the 35mm brighter.

Highly rated but overpriced is the Canon FD 24mm f2 - I happened to own one from the film era, but a 28mm f2.8 FD I picked up for $50 (including the splendid black Canon EF to which it was attached!) is as good or better, and MUCH lighter.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
chris norlund
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, Mar 28, 2013

I had the 50mm on the NEX7 and it's a fun lens for it.  It's quite cheap and works great.  The dimensions are a bit long on the NEX but the balance is great.  I wish there was a 50mm that was the same size as the 35mm.  And I wasn't crazy about silver as I think black is better.  But the 50mm is a good lens.

I'm not sure what to do.  I'm waiting for the 32mm zeiss, but lack of OSS and we don't yet know the price, so not sure if this will be THE lens to get on the NEX or not.  Likely it will be as it's a normal lens and probably will have great IQ.  But for me I'm a shaky guy and OSS is probably important.

-- hide signature --

Chris Norlund
chrisnorlund.com
Waiting for NEX 7n

chris norlund's gear list:chris norlund's gear list
Sony RX1
clail
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
In reply to chris norlund, Mar 29, 2013

I have both and ever since I got my SEL35, I hardly touched my SEL50. Problem with wide angle is the people at the edge of the photo gets distorted. My Sigma 19 did that and I guess the 24 would but to a lesser degree. SEL35 doesn't so I'd rather take shots of smaller groups than to have their faces distorted.

clail's gear list:clail's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +6 more
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038
Like?
In reply to clail, Mar 29, 2013

You just have to multiply your focal length by 1.5 to get the equivalent view angle (but not persspective) of a full frame lens.

35 x 1.5 = 52.5 (not quite 50)

50 x 1.5 = 75  (not quite 90) , etc

nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
In reply to Tsan, Mar 30, 2013

Yup. 75 to be precise, 1.5x crop factor. I like 50mm but it's too tight to be versatile even though it is awesome for shooting portraits. That's why I think it makes more sense to adapt a legacy 50 for around a hundred bucks. Can't beat the image quality and you get to really learn manual focus too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads