Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
Just a Photographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?
Re: And cropped...
In reply to Just a Photographer, Mar 30, 2013

And a cropped version of the first edit:

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gerrard
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,013
Like?
Ralph Ramirez
In reply to Ralph Ramirez, Mar 30, 2013

Ralph Ramirez wrote:

What a great life you have Ray, photographing beautiful women.  Thanks for posting for us to play........Ralph

Hahaha oh if only Ralph Thanks Pal + yeah again really nicely done + great choice of B/g but like Pixel says yeah the middle section should be altered but much appreciated all the same Thank you

Cheers

Ray

Gerrard
Like?
Peano
In reply to Peano, Mar 30, 2013

Peano wrote:

-- hide signature --

~ Peano
www.radiantpics.com

Hi David, oh yeah really nice now + I'm getting a real Psychedelic feel to it Thank you

Cheers

Ray

Gerrard
Like?
mikes
In reply to mikes, Mar 30, 2013

mikes wrote:

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Ah excellent Mikes , great extraction + wonderful setting... Thank you

Cheers

Ray

Gerrard
Like?
Just a Photographer
In reply to Just a Photographer, Mar 30, 2013

Just a Photographer wrote:

My versions of your picture of Bobbie:

Hi, thank you for both edits + a nice selection too.

Cheers

Ray

Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,574Gear list
Like?
Gerrand.... that photo was a poor choice
In reply to Gerrard, Mar 30, 2013

Gerrard wrote:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7460924/DSC_0006.NEF

Hi All, Bobbie once again + as usual straight outta camera + Large Raw file included. Enjoy

Cheers

Ray

With all due respect to the very talented folks who submitted their efforts... not one of them is significantly better than the original photo. In fact, many are worse.

Ray... the whole problem here is that you submitted an outstanding photo. So they played with the background... converted it to B&W.... or cropped it.... but no one actually created a better result than your original shot.

Next time... give them a really crappy photo, and watch how they can work wonders on it! Because they really are that good.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +5 more
pierre1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,502
Like?
color scheme change

Hope it's not too over the top

PierreD

http://www.pbase.com/matrixone

Gerrard
Like?
Re: Gerrand.... that photo was a poor choice
In reply to Marty4650, Mar 30, 2013

Marty4650 wrote:

With all due respect to the very talented folks who submitted their efforts... not one of them is significantly better than the original photo. In fact, many are worse.

Ray... the whole problem here is that you submitted an outstanding photo. So they played with the background... converted it to B&W.... or cropped it.... but no one actually created a better result than your original shot.

Next time... give them a really crappy photo, and watch how they can work wonders on it! Because they really are that good.

Hi Marty, I really appreciate your feedback + compliment on my photo, well ya see + I'm not trying to be Bigheaded or Vain but most of my pics are fairly good straight out of camera + the reason being is that my Photoshop editing skills are very Basic so my motto is get it right as near as possible in camera.

Now I love posting here + have being doing so for many years + I've built up a kinda rapport with the members here + they've certainly Helped me in the past when I've made errors in camera + I would have been totally lost trying to fix it myself + they give me ideas for further shots Oh yeah plus its Fun + from the comments I receive I get the feeling they really enjoy working on my Imgs.

So again thank you kindly for looking + comments.

Cheers

Ray

Gerrard
Like?
Re: color scheme change
In reply to pierre1, Mar 30, 2013

pierre1 wrote:

Hope it's not too over the top

PierreD

http://www.pbase.com/matrixone

Hi Pierre, well its all down to a personal taste I say not my choice of editing but yeah sorta Cool + much appreciated. Thank You

Cheers

Ray

oltenius
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?
Re: Bobbie again for Retouch or Play..

Thanks Ray, great shot as usual!

Best wishes,
Dan

-- hide signature --
Gerrard
Like?
oltenius
In reply to oltenius, Mar 30, 2013

oltenius wrote:

Thanks Ray, great shot as usual!

Best wishes,
Dan

-- hide signature --

Hi Dan, ah Cool effect very nicely done...Thank you

Cheers

Ray

VicC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,252Gear list
Like?
Marty4650
In reply to Marty4650, Mar 31, 2013

Hi there Marty, I do not know you, but I disagree with what you said. Lots of the edits are good practice for people like me. I do not want to encourage rubbish pictures, but like it help out some photographic genuine mistakes. There is 100 times more satisfaction changing a "good" picture and that does take skill I can assure you.  Please Gerrard  keep them coming. Vic

Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,574Gear list
Like?
I think you missed my point
In reply to VicC, Mar 31, 2013

VicC wrote:

Hi there Marty, I do not know you, but I disagree with what you said. Lots of the edits are good practice for people like me. I do not want to encourage rubbish pictures, but like it help out some photographic genuine mistakes. There is 100 times more satisfaction changing a "good" picture and that does take skill I can assure you.  Please Gerrard  keep them coming. Vic

I never said that none of the edits were better than the original photo, just that many weren't "significantly better."

But I do get your point. It is always good to practice, and any photo can serve as a starting point for that.

I have been following this forum for years, and the folks here are really gifted and creative. As a spectator and not a participant, I really like seeing how they can transform a mediocre photo into  a great one. In this case, they were offered a really great photo, and what they did was tweaked it, or changed something to give it a different look. But the results weren't really better than the original. They were  just different.

I suppose that has merit too.

After hearing Gerrard tell us that he isn't very good at editing, and rarely does much of it, I am even more impressed by his original shot, To be more precise, I am jealous!

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads