Primates with D800 and 500VR

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Primates with D800 and 500VR
Mar 28, 2013

I visited the Brookfield Zoo yesterday with my D800 and 500VR. The indoor exhibit was not well lit, so I shot at very low shutter speeds, activated VR, secured the lens to a gimbal head and added some fill flash with the SB900 and Better Beamer! Here are the images:

1

Black and white colobus monkey (male)

2

Western lowland gorilla (female)

3

Red-capped mangabey

4

Colobus monkey with three week old baby

5

Male orangutan

6

Red-tailed mangabey

7

Red-tailed mangabey

Thanks for looking...

Glenn

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fpessolano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to gnagel, Mar 28, 2013

Nice!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tsitalon1
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to fpessolano, Mar 28, 2013

These are outstanding!

I might have to invest in a beamer myself. Always was curious if they really work or not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ad800
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to tsitalon1, Mar 28, 2013

Very nice! Love these

 ad800's gear list:ad800's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to fpessolano, Mar 28, 2013

fpessolano wrote:

Nice!!!

Thanks!

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to tsitalon1, Mar 28, 2013

tsitalon1 wrote:

These are outstanding!

I might have to invest in a beamer myself. Always was curious if they really work or not.

Thank you.  The Better Beamer definitely works.  My only challenge with it is remembering to bring it along with me!

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to ad800, Mar 28, 2013

ad800 wrote:

Very nice! Love these

Thanks very much...

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KevL
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to gnagel, Mar 28, 2013

really really nice... thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Kevin

 KevL's gear list:KevL's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to KevL, Mar 28, 2013

KevL wrote:

really really nice... thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Kevin

Thanks Kevin...much appreciated!

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,414Gear list
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to gnagel, Mar 28, 2013

gnagel wrote:

I visited the Brookfield Zoo yesterday with my D800 and 500VR. The indoor exhibit was not well lit, so I shot at very low shutter speeds, activated VR, secured the lens to a gimbal head and added some fill flash with the SB900 and Better Beamer! Here are the images:

1

Black and white colobus monkey (male)

2

Western lowland gorilla (female)

3

Red-capped mangabey

4

Colobus monkey with three week old baby

5

Male orangutan

6

Red-tailed mangabey

7

Red-tailed mangabey

Thanks for looking...

Glenn

HI!

Masterful as usual!!!!

Your 500VR pictures (as well as those of others) were part of the reason I got the 500VR. I've been very happy with it!

I keep forgetting to buy a Better Beamer.

Last year I was in Tanzania and there was a leopard buried deep in the shadows of a tree with a porcupine kill about over a hundred feet away.

Had to raise the ISO on the D4 a fair bit, and the SB-900 at full power was just barely able to get enough light on the subject for me to get by...

Here's the link (I didn't want to post the picture and "hijack" the thread   )

Leopard

One of the other folks in this forum mentioned that if I got a Better Beamer, that  I should be careful not to inadvertently point it at the sun while  mounted on the flash. He had seen someone fry their flash that way!

Best Regards,

Bob

 RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to RBFresno, Mar 28, 2013

RBFresno wrote:

Masterful as usual!!!!

Your 500VR pictures (as well as those of others) were part of the reason I got the 500VR. I've been very happy with it!

I keep forgetting to buy a Better Beamer.

Last year I was in Tanzania and there was a leopard buried deep in the shadows of a tree with a porcupine kill about over a hundred feet away.

Had to raise the ISO on the D4 a fair bit, and the SB-900 at full power was just barely able to get enough light on the subject for me to get by...

Here's the link (I didn't want to post the picture and "hijack" the thread   )

Leopard

One of the other folks in this forum mentioned that if I got a Better Beamer, that  I should be careful not to inadvertently point it at the sun while  mounted on the flash. He had seen someone fry their flash that way!

Best Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob...your leopard photograph is excellent!  And, it is more rewarding seeing these magnificent animals in their natural habitat.  Unfortunately, most of the time I have to settle for the zoo.

I have the Better Beamer, but forget to bring it with me most of the time.  I'm carrying so many gear components that it is almost impossible to have everything available for every shoot.

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lanefAU
Senior MemberPosts: 4,720Gear list
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to gnagel, Mar 29, 2013

Looks like they were posing for you, good capture, thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Veni Vidi Capi (I Came, I Saw, I Captured)
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries

 lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to lanefAU, Mar 29, 2013

lanefAU wrote:

Looks like they were posing for you, good capture, thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Veni Vidi Capi (I Came, I Saw, I Captured)
http://www.pbase.com/bingard/galleries

Thanks...it takes a little patience as I just wait until they finally look into the lens.

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to gnagel, Mar 29, 2013

Excellent work. The flash lighting is subtle and very well balanced. I love the series.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

 sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to gnagel, Mar 29, 2013

Hi Glenn, as always, thanks for sharing your outstanding work with us.

I noticed that most of the captures were done with a relatively slow shutter speed 1/30, 1/40, etc., with only the red-capped mangabey being at 1/100. I find this interesting (especially with moving subjects) as I have struggled with getting stationary subjects as sharp as you have done here even while using faster shutter speeds. My D800 is now back from Nikon service. I should be able to test in the next day or two.

Regards,

Allen

 Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to sunhorse, Mar 29, 2013

sunhorse wrote:

Excellent work. The flash lighting is subtle and very well balanced. I love the series.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

Thanks Ramesh...Nikon's TTL flash technology makes using fill flash so much easier.

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to Testing123, Mar 29, 2013

Testing123 wrote:

Hi Glenn, as always, thanks for sharing your outstanding work with us.

I noticed that most of the captures were done with a relatively slow shutter speed 1/30, 1/40, etc., with only the red-capped mangabey being at 1/100. I find this interesting (especially with moving subjects) as I have struggled with getting stationary subjects as sharp as you have done here even while using faster shutter speeds. My D800 is now back from Nikon service. I should be able to test in the next day or two.

Regards,

Allen

Thanks for the kind words, Allen.  Coincidentally, I am just now drafting a blog entry about maintaining sharp images with relatively show shutter speeds.  For the images in this thread, all were taken with the camera/lens secured to a stable tripod and gimbal head, all used the lens with VR activated, fill flash helps freeze any action a bit and taking several exposures helps improve the odds of getting a sharp one as part of the series.

Best of luck with your D800...

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,848Gear list
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to gnagel, Mar 29, 2013

You have some very nice photos posted here Glenn.

The follow ups about how and where  it was done

is a big bonus for us all.

The word "Primates" in the title caught my attention

as I too shoot primates in the wild just down the road.

Hand held D300, 70-300VR an on occasion a 17-55 2.8

Nikkor. Once again beautiful photos, hope to see more ..;-)

.

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/
.

 Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to Hansa Yindee, Mar 29, 2013

Hansa Yindee wrote:

You have some very nice photos posted here Glenn.

The follow ups about how and where  it was done

is a big bonus for us all.

The word "Primates" in the title caught my attention

as I too shoot primates in the wild just down the road.

Hand held D300, 70-300VR an on occasion a 17-55 2.8

Nikkor. Once again beautiful photos, hope to see more ..;-)

.

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/
.

Thanks Jon...you arbike lesser to see these magnificent animals in the wild!

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnagel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676
Like?
Re: Primates with D800 and 500VR
In reply to gnagel, Mar 29, 2013

gnagel wrote:

Hansa Yindee wrote:

You have some very nice photos posted here Glenn.

The follow ups about how and where  it was done

is a big bonus for us all.

The word "Primates" in the title caught my attention

as I too shoot primates in the wild just down the road.

Hand held D300, 70-300VR an on occasion a 17-55 2.8

Nikkor. Once again beautiful photos, hope to see more ..;-)

.

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/
.

Thanks Jon...you arbike lesser to see these magnificent animals in the wild!

Glenn

Darn autocorrect!  I meant to type..you are lucky to see these magnificent animals in the wild!

Glenn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads