Photographers speak in tongues

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,278
Like?
Photographers speak in tongues
Mar 28, 2013

Rapid evolution since the advent of digital has resulted in photographers that can no longer speak proper.

Words such as Panny, Siggy, Oly and Cannikon have sneaked (snuck?) into the vocabulary.  Strangely Sony does not seem to have been subjected to this treatment.  Perhaps the shortening to "Get a Son" doesn't really work.

Nauseating phrases like 'Nifty fifty' and 'Holy trinity' seem to have taken over otherwise normal people's brains.

'Lens' has become 'lense', or perhaps that's just from watching too much Miss Piggy. "Pretentious? Moi?"

Cameras have become 'cams'.  Lenses - 'glass'.  And yes, yes I know that's what they're made of.  As do most people but they don't refer to sensors as 'silicon' do they?  But give them time they might.  And they might even change that to 'silly'.

Please pass me the sick bucket.

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,411
Like?
Re: Photographers speak in tongues
In reply to meland, Mar 28, 2013

meland wrote:

Rapid evolution since the advent of digital has resulted in photographers that can no longer speak properly.

Fixed it for you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421
Like?

I did hear the expression 'You need some uber silicon to get decent frames in that game'   among the PC geeks.

meland
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 28, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

meland wrote:

Rapid evolution since the advent of digital has resulted in photographers that can no longer speak properly.

Fixed it for you.

Thanks, cobber.

meland
Like?
In reply to scorrpio, Mar 28, 2013

scorrpio wrote:

I did hear the expression 'You need some uber silicon to get decent frames in that game'   among the PC geeks.

Yeah, well they really are a different species!

FractalFlame
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?

meland wrote:

Rapid evolution since the advent of digital has resulted in photographers that can no longer speak proper.

Words such as Panny, Siggy, Oly and Cannikon have sneaked (snuck?) into the vocabulary.  Strangely Sony does not seem to have been subjected to this treatment.  Perhaps the shortening to "Get a Son" doesn't really work.

Nauseating phrases like 'Nifty fifty' and 'Holy trinity' seem to have taken over otherwise normal people's brains.

'Lens' has become 'lense', or perhaps that's just from watching too much Miss Piggy. "Pretentious? Moi?"

Cameras have become 'cams'.  Lenses - 'glass'.  And yes, yes I know that's what they're made of.  As do most people but they don't refer to sensors as 'silicon' do they?  But give them time they might.  And they might even change that to 'silly'.

If I hear people talking like that in real life, I walk away mid sentence. It's the same when people say, actually SAY, "lol" - walk away.

But, here, it's a shorthand method of saving typing.

I admit to doing it sometimes - it's easier to type "cam" than to type "camera" and have to go back and change it because I actually typed "camnera" with fat fingers and silly tiny laptop keys.

mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to FractalFlame, Mar 28, 2013

I think that texting, where shorter is better, is partly responsible for this. Another factor is our love of jargon. If you're a sports fan you're subjected to terms as absurd as "foot speed".

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
meland
Like?
In reply to FractalFlame, Mar 28, 2013

FractalFlame wrote:

If I hear people talking like that in real life, I walk away mid sentence. It's the same when people say, actually SAY, "lol" - walk away.

Yes, how could I possibly forget 'lol' ?

Even when written.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,032Gear list
Like?

meland wrote:

ROTFL, AFAIC (IIRC)

[g, r & d]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
meland
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Mar 28, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

meland wrote:

ROTFL, AFAIC (IIRC)

[g, r & d]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Indeed!

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

So.

So another thing that I've noticed on this forum are the ever-increasing number of people who begin all their posts with the word 'so'.

So.

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,124Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Mar 28, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

meland wrote:

ROTFL, AFAIC (IIRC)

[g, r & d]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

That's easy for you to say! lol Oooops soz!

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Mar 28, 2013

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

So.

So another thing that I've noticed on this forum are the ever-increasing number of people who begin all their posts with the word 'so'.

So.

That so?

Sorry.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?

Confusing the trinity for the Holy Trinity is indeed nauseating. I care not one iota for the Alpha and Omega of Nikon fandeities.

meland
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Mar 29, 2013

nikkorwatcher wrote:

Confusing the trinity for the Holy Trinity is indeed nauseating. I care not one iota for the Alpha and Omega of Nikon fandeities.

I though Alpha was Sony?  

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,411
Like?
In reply to meland, Mar 29, 2013

meland wrote:

nikkorwatcher wrote:

I though Alpha was Sony?  

You mean Son, yeah?

Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,214Gear list
Like?

meland wrote:

nikkorwatcher wrote:

I though Alpha was Sony?  

And Omega is a watch, right?   

Actually, words like "Camcorder" have been around for  eons!

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
meland
Like?
In reply to Pedagydusz, Mar 29, 2013

Pedagydusz wrote:

meland wrote:

nikkorwatcher wrote:

I though Alpha was Sony?  

And Omega is a watch, right?   

Actually, words like "Camcorder" have been around for  eons!

-- hide signature --

Yes, I don't really have an issue with 'camcorder'.  As you say it has been around for eons.  But if it got shortened to 'der' I might possibly have an issue with that.

drusus
Contributing MemberPosts: 602Gear list
Like?

meland wrote:

So, who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Life is shorter than you might think. Worry about more worrisome things.

Drusus

drusus's gear list:drusus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
meland
Like?
In reply to drusus, Mar 29, 2013

drusus wrote:

meland wrote:

So, who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Life is shorter than you might think. Worry about more worrisome things.

Drusus

It was yesterday morning.  I feel better now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads