Tripod recommendations for a 5D Mk3 + 70-200 F2.8

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
SohoAperture
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Tripod recommendations for a 5D Mk3 + 70-200 F2.8
Mar 28, 2013

Hi,

I am in the market for a new tripod and wondered what other 5D users are currently using

I borrowed a friends budget Manfrotto last night and it shook a bit too much meaning I went home with a lot of blurred shots.

I will be using a variety of lenses but i stated the 70-200mm in my subject header as the combined weight of this with the 5D is quite heavy.

I does not need to be super lightweight as most of the time it will be in the back of a car and it won't be used on a daily basis however this is not to say that won't happen in the future.  I am currently considering a Manfrotto 055 but have not really settled on the material yet.

Can anyone offer any recommendations?

SohoAperture's gear list:SohoAperture's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SwedishGoose
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Re: Tripod recommendations for a 5D Mk3 + 70-200 F2.8
In reply to SohoAperture, Mar 28, 2013

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a Manfrotto 498RC2 ball head.Granted I don't have 5D3 oor the 70-200 f2.8.

I have used it with both a 400D with grip and a 6D with a Tokina 400 f5.6 as the largest lens.

I like it a lot. It is very flexible, the middle column can be used vertically and even turned upside down. The maximun height is very good. It is sturdy and I have not had any issues with it so far.

The only thing is that it is quote heavy but then a Carbon Fibre is much more expensive...

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SohoAperture
Like?
In reply to SwedishGoose, Mar 28, 2013

SwedishGoose wrote:

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a Manfrotto 498RC2 ball head.Granted I don't have 5D3 oor the 70-200 f2.8.

I have used it with both a 400D with grip and a 6D with a Tokina 400 f5.6 as the largest lens.

I like it a lot. It is very flexible, the middle column can be used vertically and even turned upside down. The maximun height is very good. It is sturdy and I have not had any issues with it so far.

The only thing is that it is quote heavy but then a Carbon Fibre is much more expensive...

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Thanks for the response

Strangely enough that was one of the combinations i was looking at (Amazon sell them both as a combo)

The 055 series seem very sturdy and well built and i have not seen much better for the price (but I am limited to physically looking at what my local camera store offers)

i also love how the carbon version is really light but for my usage i don't know whether i would benefit from it to justify the extra cost over the 055XPROB

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,552Gear list
Like?

SohoAperture wrote:

Hi,

I am in the market for a new tripod and wondered what other 5D users are currently using

I borrowed a friends budget Manfrotto last night and it shook a bit too much meaning I went home with a lot of blurred shots.

I will be using a variety of lenses but i stated the 70-200mm in my subject header as the combined weight of this with the 5D is quite heavy.

I does not need to be super lightweight as most of the time it will be in the back of a car and it won't be used on a daily basis however this is not to say that won't happen in the future.  I am currently considering a Manfrotto 055 but have not really settled on the material yet.

I can recommend the Gitzo 2531 (this may be an older item number as I've had it for a while) because it's what I finally narrowed the field to based on my own needs. I went with Carbon Fiber for weight and damping. I hike a lot so I had to figure that into the equation. Gitzo's product numbering starts with 1 for the lightest tripods and goes up to 5 for the sturdiest at least that seemed to be the case when I was shopping. I chose a 3 segment leg version to gain more stability but it doesn't fold down as compact as a 4 segment leg version. I travel with a huge Travel Pro roller "cabinet" so the tripod fits into it perfectly. I made sure the tripod I chose put the camera at eye level for my height without extending the middle bar (the most stable position). If weight isn't a concern, then a 3 series product from Gitzo would provide more stability, necessary, I suppose, in high wind situations. For high wind, I shoot hand-held anyway.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,910Gear list
Like?

SohoAperture wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the response

Strangely enough that was one of the combinations i was looking at (Amazon sell them both as a combo)

The 055 series seem very sturdy and well built and i have not seen much better for the price (but I am limited to physically looking at what my local camera store offers)

i also love how the carbon version is really light but for my usage i don't know whether i would benefit from it to justify the extra cost over the 055XPROB

Ive got the 055XPROB and 496RC2 ball head. I find its pretty stable with my 5DMKIII but i dont have the 70-200 f/2.8, only the f/4 IS.I have used it with a 100-400L though and it was fine. .I did use the tripod collar rather than attach the camera directly, but i dont normally for my other lenses.

A friend has the CF version and the same kit as me, and his doesn't seem quite as stable.

There has been talk of the centre column on the 055 transmitting vibrations very easily, but i haven't found this yet.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
StefanJ
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?

SohoAperture wrote:

SwedishGoose wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Thanks for the response

If you have the cash I can wholeheartedly recommend 055CXPRO4 + 498RC2. It's light, sturdy and can take the weight easily. I was contemplating the higher cost before buying, but now I am glad I didn't skimp on the tripod, especially if you have a good packing of gear (or other things) with you.

I find it light enough for street photography as well. I got the Dörr Action M bag and I can have it on my back and almost forget about it.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I do have the 5D3 + 70-200/2.8L II IS

Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?

I use a Manfrotto 190XPROB with the 410 geared head or the 486MG ball head.

The 190 is a bit light and short for the 5d and 70-200. I don't like the way the column operates (changeable from vertical to horizontal). It is too fidgy to change and not very stable in the horizontal position. And it is a pain when you try to get low.

Currently, I am considering a 055 series with a short or fixed center column. A colleague uses that for the same camera and is rather pleased. Carbon or alu I don't know yet - the weight savings for carbon is not that much...

The 410 hear I really like for landscape and slowish stuff, very steady. But slow to change. The 486 tends to sag a bit when framing and tightening.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
phill104
Senior MemberPosts: 1,570
Like?
In reply to SwedishGoose, Mar 28, 2013

SwedishGoose wrote:

-- hide signature --

I recently picked up just that combo on fleabay for the princely sum of £47. My old 190b (and I mean old, before all that swivel column and easy lock legs stuff) was really good but this is even better. I use mine with a gimbal head as well especially for sports as I find it easier than the ball head but too heavy to carry for walking about so then I will use the ball head.

SohoAperture
Like?
In reply to dave_bass5, Mar 28, 2013

dave_bass5 wrote:

SohoAperture wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the response

Ive got the 055XPROB and 496RC2 ball head. I find its pretty stable with my 5DMKIII but i dont have the 70-200 f/2.8, only the f/4 IS.I have used it with a 100-400L though and it was fine. .I did use the tripod collar rather than attach the camera directly, but i dont normally for my other lenses.

A friend has the CF version and the same kit as me, and his doesn't seem quite as stable.

There has been talk of the centre column on the 055 transmitting vibrations very easily, but i haven't found this yet.

-- hide signature --

Dave.

Yeah i actually read somewhere that the carbon fibre version does not seem to have the stability of the other 055 models.  Maybe the extra weight adds to the stability so depending upon the circumstances the non-carbon version may be the better tripod for me

SohoAperture
Like?
In reply to phill104, Mar 28, 2013

phill104 wrote:

SwedishGoose wrote:

-- hide signature --

I recently picked up just that combo on fleabay for the princely sum of £47. My old 190b (and I mean old, before all that swivel column and easy lock legs stuff) was really good but this is even better. I use mine with a gimbal head as well especially for sports as I find it easier than the ball head but too heavy to carry for walking about so then I will use the ball head.

£47 ??????  You picked up a bargain there!!

SohoAperture
Like?
In reply to StefanJ, Mar 28, 2013

StefanJ wrote:

SohoAperture wrote:

SwedishGoose wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Thanks for the response

If you have the cash I can wholeheartedly recommend 055CXPRO4 + 498RC2. It's light, sturdy and can take the weight easily. I was contemplating the higher cost before buying, but now I am glad I didn't skimp on the tripod, especially if you have a good packing of gear (or other things) with you.

I find it light enough for street photography as well. I got the Dörr Action M bag and I can have it on my back and almost forget about it.

Just out of interest why the CXPRO4 rather than the CXPRO3?  Is it purely down to the size when travelling?  Do you find it just as sturdy as a three section leg?

StefanJ
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?

SohoAperture wrote:

StefanJ wrote:

SohoAperture wrote:

SwedishGoose wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Thanks for the response

Just out of interest why the CXPRO4 rather than the CXPRO3?  Is it purely down to the size when travelling?  Do you find it just as sturdy as a three section leg?

It was purely a matter of size really. I've seen the various comments about stability etc, but it works perfectly for me. I've always used light tripods however, so it might just be a case of "working with it".

The legs are very firm on mine, no "flimsiness" in the joints or anything, so I don't really feel much of a difference between a 3 section one, which I had previously.

SohoAperture
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Mar 28, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

SohoAperture wrote:

Hi,

I can recommend the Gitzo 2531 (this may be an older item number as I've had it for a while) because it's what I finally narrowed the field to based on my own needs. I went with Carbon Fiber for weight and damping. I hike a lot so I had to figure that into the equation. Gitzo's product numbering starts with 1 for the lightest tripods and goes up to 5 for the sturdiest at least that seemed to be the case when I was shopping. I chose a 3 segment leg version to gain more stability but it doesn't fold down as compact as a 4 segment leg version. I travel with a huge Travel Pro roller "cabinet" so the tripod fits into it perfectly. I made sure the tripod I chose put the camera at eye level for my height without extending the middle bar (the most stable position). If weight isn't a concern, then a 3 series product from Gitzo would provide more stability, necessary, I suppose, in high wind situations. For high wind, I shoot hand-held anyway.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Wow just had a look online at the Gitzo range and they are huge money!!!  I am still suffering the pain from the purchase of my 5D Mk3 (I nearly had to sell a kidney to buy the camera) however the photographs it produces are worth the suffering!

ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?

Here is the standard read on tripods and heads.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

Richard

SohoAperture
Like?
In reply to ESfishdoc, Mar 28, 2013

ESfishdoc wrote:

Here is the standard read on tripods and heads.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

Richard

That is a very good read and very true - it does not make sense to spend huge amounts on a camera only to put it on a cheap tripod.  However i have my limits, had i not bought the camera i am sure i could have justified spending that little bit extra on a tripod.

My budget does not stretch much further than the cost of the Manfrotto 055 at the moment.  I could buy a used tripod though...... better check ebay!

Shane Pope
Senior MemberPosts: 1,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to SohoAperture, Mar 29, 2013

I have the 055xproB and the Manfrotto 405 geared head both work well together.

-- hide signature --
 Shane Pope's gear list:Shane Pope's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,482Gear list
Like?

I went with the manfrotto 055CXPRO3. I felt that, on testing, the 3 section legs were more stable than the 4. I also bought a mag ballhead with Q2 plate, & it holds my 7D & Sigma 120-400 OS steady as a rock.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Roy Taylor
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Mar 29, 2013

Based on this posting , I was on the fence with ordering the 055XPROB and the 498 ball head. So just ordered them on Amazon. Thanks for the advice.

Roy Taylor's gear list:Roy Taylor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +2 more
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,052
Like?

i would suggest to try Gitzo 2 series, I currently have a RRS TVC-33 + BH55 as my main tripod but i do have a Gitzo 2531 for hiking trip, the 2531 is a very solid one, more than enough for small to mid size camera with 70-200 lens, much better than most of the Manfrotto i have tried. paired with something like a RRS BH 40 or Arca Swiss head you will have a pretty nice set up for years to come. i actually used the 2531+AS B1 to hold the 1Ds3+ 300 2.8 and still OK. so for small camera like 5D you can easily do it with that leg maybe even with a smaller head like the RRS BH-40. Bottom line is i don't believe such thing called "over killed" when it comes to tripod support, you can never get " too stable", only not stable enough, and not to forget you don't buy tripod every year, well, that's if you buy a good one the first time.

Hans Kruse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,119
Like?

I use a Really Right stuff TVC-23 tripod and a BH-55 head with quick release. On the cameras I use RRS L-brackets.This is a deluxe tripod and it is very very sturdy and relatively light. Find more info at http://reallyrightstuff.com/

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Hans Kruse
Home Page -- www.hanskrusephotography.com, http://500px.com/hanskrusephotography, www.hanskrusephotography.zenfolio.com
Workshops -- www.hanskrusephotography.com/gallery/14682573_Q9mq4
Facebook Photography http://www.facebook.com/HansKrusePhotography
Workshop Newsletter signup http://eepurl.com/bA0Pj

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads