a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,814Gear list
Like?
a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes
Mar 28, 2013

Strangely the SONY a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT my RadioPopper Trigger and any Standard Hot shoe Flash. sb900, metz, LumoPro.

could NOT fit on the Hot Shoe because of the SONY pins at the end of it ... it is stopping the FOOT from going IN all the way.

I just tried to mount my RadioPopper  JrX Trigger to the Hot Shoe ... and it looks like the  SONY HOT shoe PINS is stopping the Trigger from going in all the way to the Shoe ... so the Center Contact will not be in the right place to trigger the Transmitter or any Standard Hot Shoe Flash.

The a99 can trigger the RadioPopper JrX Trigger via the PC port.  and I have to use a Hot Shoe adapter that has a PC port to trigger the 60m in Manual.

Strange that the HOT SHOE  will  NOT fit a Flash or Radio Trigger.

AND the 60m Flash does NOT have a  PC Port for  Radio REC. Pockewizard or RadioPoppers.

interesting ...   There must be a trick to putting on  Flashes other than SONY , and  Flash Triggers.

HG

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Endos
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
Re: a99 HOT SHOE does not FIT Radio Trigger and Flashes
In reply to Hawaii-geek, Mar 28, 2013

The new hot-shoe is one of the dumbest changes in the camera industry ever.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hawaii-geek
Like?
Endos,
In reply to Endos, Mar 28, 2013

Endos wrote:

Endos,

Just a little curious Why?

The New Standard Hot Shoe  imho is a great idea  ... because you "Should" be able to use Radio Triggers and Flashes that any other camera can use on there Hot Shoe.  (and still use SONY stuff)

Problem that I "just" discovered ...  that a Standard Hot Shoe Radio Trigger DOES NOT Fit on it.

because the  SONY pins at the end of it is stopping the FOOT from going all the way IN.

Weird ...   There must be a trick to this?

HG

-- hide signature --

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Endos
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
Re: Endos,

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Endos wrote:

Endos,

Just a little curious Why?

The New Standard Hot Shoe  imho is a great idea  ... because you "Should" be able to use Radio Triggers and Flashes that any other camera can use on there Hot Shoe.  (and still use SONY stuff)

Problem that I "just" discovered ...  that a Standard Hot Shoe Radio Trigger DOES NOT Fit on it.

because the  SONY pins at the end of it is stopping the FOOT from going all the way IN.

Weird ...   There must be a trick to this?

HG

-- hide signature --

You can use any ISO flash out there with the old iISO hot-shoe using an adapter. Now you need to use an adapter for absolutely all original photographic accessories, but two flashes, and only a few not original ISO hot-shoe accessories fit the new shoe.

Hawaii-geek
Like?
Re: Endos,
In reply to Endos, Mar 28, 2013

You can use any ISO flash out there with the old iISO hot-shoe using an adapter. Now you need to use an adapter for absolutely all original photographic accessories, but two flashes, and only a few not original ISO hot-shoe accessories fit the new shoe.

Endos,

Now I get it  ...  you have a lot of SONY flash gear.

I know what you mean  ...   I have  four(4) sb900 and TTL radio triggers for each of them.

and two odd ball OLY flashes  that I now can only use in Manual Off camera.

HG

-- hide signature --

granduca
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

Just spent a day at a studio, using Bowen lighting and a radio trigger fitted to the hot shoe, no problems. So to say that a radio trigger does not fit, is inaccurate.

mrmjs
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
In reply to granduca, Mar 28, 2013

I use a bracket like the one pictured below with a PocketWizard connected through the pc sync port

-- hide signature --

-Matt

mrmjs's gear list:mrmjs's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +18 more
unrealreality
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?

I recently picked up an a99 and own radio triggers for my 2 studio flashes. I have the cybercyncs from paul buff but hadn't tried them yet.

I used to use a converter to fit on the a77 but was happy that sony went to a standard hot shoe for the a99. I just tried my triggers after reading this and they work perfectly.

They don't LOOK like they go all the way in, but if you check alignment, once the trigger is pushed as far as it can go, the center point of the trigger matches the center contact on the hotshoe.

It doesn't look like it goes all the way in because, yes, the pins (or rather the metal above the pins) are blocking it, but Sony compensated for this. They do this so you don't damage the pins and if you use Sony equipment it goes flush, but with non-sony gear, the back end of the trigger sticks out a bit. No biggie as it all works here!

Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256
Like?
In reply to mrmjs, Mar 28, 2013

mrmjs wrote:

I use a bracket like the one pictured below with a PocketWizard connected through the pc sync port

Why?

PocketWizards work just fine in the hot shoe of a99, RX1 and NEX6.

-- hide signature --
dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,689
Like?
Don't get me started...

I use several different setups of flashes with the A99 and find to be efficient I have to just leave the adapter permanently on the A99. The product shot should show a camera with a big, tall bump on top because that is the reality.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50194056

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at www.dennismullen.com.

mrmjs
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian_Smith, Mar 28, 2013

Brian_Smith wrote:

mrmjs wrote:

Why?

PocketWizards work just fine in the hot shoe of a99, RX1 and NEX6.

-- hide signature --

Sorry, I'm shooting with an A77.

-- hide signature --

-Matt

mrmjs's gear list:mrmjs's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +18 more
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,218
Like?
Re: Don't get me started...
In reply to dennismullen, Mar 29, 2013

Sony owes us all an explanation ( a detailed one at that).  I want to start by firing the flash team for the A99.

-- hide signature --
Hawaii-geek
Like?
a99 DOES work as a Standard HOT SHOE ! my mistake :)
In reply to Hawaii-geek, Mar 29, 2013

a99 DOES  work as a Standard HOT SHOE  !     my mistake  So, now I look silly  LOL

Thanks to Granduca and Brian_Smith posts  ... I had to go back and try it again.

IT WORKED !

Used a Trigger , sb900, Metz, LumoPro manual flash etc and they all seem to work.

The sb900 even seems to Lock IN ... though it looks  strange to me ... with about 1/4 of the foot out of the Hot Shoe.

My guess is that I must have been "Freaked Out" by the way it mounted on the HOT Shoe.

And I probably took too much time trying to Mount it, for sure I was thinking to myself "this can't be right?"   .. the  60M flash that I had mounted to my Radio REC  had "timed OUT".  LOL

I had tested the Triggers  as I always do OFF the Hot Shoe "first"  to make sure the Radio connection was solid ... and then I mount to the  Camera Hot Shoe  ... but in the process of trying to figure out what I was doing wrong on the Mount on the HOT SHOE the OFF camera 60m flash timed out.

The "way" it mounts is Strange with the NON-SONY Flashes (60m) ... the  End Sticks OUT !   looks a little unstable and weird.   Thought I was doing something wrong. and probably spent way too much time trying to figure it out.

So, in the process of trying to figure "that" out  ... the 60m Flash must have timed Out.

Repeated it just now ... and saw the 60m flash Time out.  and I could not Trigger.

Thank you,  learned something today

HG

-- hide signature --

Clyde Thomas
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Not what Sony intended...
In reply to Steve West, Mar 29, 2013

I'm happy for all you togs using old Nikon/Olympus flash and dumb single pin 3rd party radio triggers.  Good for Sony to have accommodated you and not profit a dime from it.  I'm sure that's what they had in mind.

I'm not so happy for all the 3rd party smart flash and smart TTL/HSS radio slaves who just lost their R&D cash by giving iISO the hard won acceptance we've all been waiting for.  Not so happy for those who invested cash into Sony genuine iISO flash systems either.

I don't believe we'll be seeing any 3rd party manufacturers rushing to develop the MIS.  I think we just lost all hope for that, for a very long time.  Way to think it through Sony.

And sorry folks... I'm a little miffed at those who think the new shoe is great because they can adopt competitor vintage easily.  Your willingness to express satisfaction with this is absolutely terrible for our brand.

Think about the irony if CaNikon suddenly changed to iISO...  Would it be a successful move if folks claimed "Hey, this is great for all those old Minolta flashes I had lying around".  No, the CaNikon crowd would see the bigger picture, and storm the gates with pitchforks and torches.

-- hide signature --

Here to help. Here to learn.

Hawaii-geek
Like?
unrealreality, your post on the foot sticking out. helpful
In reply to unrealreality, Mar 29, 2013

unrealreality wrote:

I recently picked up an a99 and own radio triggers for my 2 studio flashes. I have the cybercyncs from paul buff but hadn't tried them yet.

I used to use a converter to fit on the a77 but was happy that sony went to a standard hot shoe for the a99. I just tried my triggers after reading this and they work perfectly.

They don't LOOK like they go all the way in, but if you check alignment, once the trigger is pushed as far as it can go, the center point of the trigger matches the center contact on the hotshoe.

It doesn't look like it goes all the way in because, yes, the pins (or rather the metal above the pins) are blocking it, but Sony compensated for this. They do this so you don't damage the pins and if you use Sony equipment it goes flush, but with non-sony gear, the back end of the trigger sticks out a bit. No biggie as it all works here!

unrealreality,

Forgot to thank you on my ... IT WORKS !  post.

But your post on how the  FOOT sticks out  was really helpful.     It allowed me to clear in my mind that it was OK  , and stop tinkering with it.

Really thought I was mounting it wrong. spent too much time playing with it.  and timed out the Off camera flash.

Well that was a late night twilight zone experience.  

Now, if the 60m  just had a PC port for Radio REC.   That would be a nice plus.

HG

-- hide signature --

Clyde Thomas
Like?
Re: a99 DOES work as a Standard HOT SHOE ! my mistake :)

Congratulations... I'm glad it works for you.  Pardon the irony, but I never new people would get so excited about purchasing such an expensive camera with the idea of reverting back to 30 year old flash technology.  But really, I am indeed please for you finding a solution that works.

-- hide signature --

Hawaii-geek
Like?
Clyde,
In reply to Clyde Thomas, Mar 29, 2013

Clyde Thomas wrote:

I'm happy for all you togs using old Nikon/Olympus flash and dumb single pin 3rd party radio triggers.  Good for Sony to have accommodated you and not profit a dime from it.  I'm sure that's what they had in mind.

I'm not so happy for all the 3rd party smart flash and smart TTL/HSS radio slaves who just lost their R&D cash by giving iISO the hard won acceptance we've all been waiting for.  Not so happy for those who invested cash into Sony genuine iISO flash systems either.

I don't believe we'll be seeing any 3rd party manufacturers rushing to develop the MIS.  I think we just lost all hope for that, for a very long time.  Way to think it through Sony.

And sorry folks... I'm a little miffed at those who think the new shoe is great because they can adopt competitor vintage easily.  Your willingness to express satisfaction with this is absolutely terrible for our brand.

Think about the irony if CaNikon suddenly changed to iISO...  Would it be a successful move if folks claimed "Hey, this is great for all those old Minolta flashes I had lying around".  No, the CaNikon crowd would see the bigger picture, and storm the gates with pitchforks and torches.

-- hide signature --

Clyde,

I get it.     Have a bunch of orphaned flashes. So I feel your pain.

Do know for a fact that RadioPopper would love to support the SONY  flash system.

As I have posted before , they tried to support it a year ago ,  but for some reason could not get the timing.   They said they would love to give it a go again.   And in fact was encouraged by  SONYs move to a Standard Hot shoe.  (maybe a little less proprietary?)

* with just a little help from SONY ,  you could see this in RadioPopper really soon.  And guess what ,  chances are , when RadioPopper does it ... Pocketwizards will then have to follow (at some point) Then, all the walls start falling.

and for people like me ... having a Radio TTL/Control system that can work with  Nikon/Canon and hopefully SONY Flashes on a menu selection change (same PX gear) ... and trigger AB old strobes in HHS , and mix in Manual trigger flashes, with TTL  is a good thing.

that's just how I am seeing it,

remember Beta , sony stick  ... and that was better tech  ... history is strewn with the bodys of superior tech that got killed off by non-support.

imho Sony needs to build partners and grow , not isolate and wait.

Not saying you are wrong  ...  saying the Standard Hot Shoe and SD is a smart move.  Very smart.

I will make a prediction ... that is probably an easy one ...  that sony card support in the D4 ... that's going to die a slow death.    And it looks like the prices are pretty good too. and fast.

Bought a bunch of 64gb SD Extreme PRO cards ... and I am soooo  happy not to have to buy a 64gb CF ...  Really, Really Happy. !

HG

-- hide signature --

Hawaii-geek
Like?
Clyde, :)
In reply to Clyde Thomas, Mar 29, 2013

Clyde Thomas wrote:

Congratulations... I'm glad it works for you.  Pardon the irony, but I never new people would get so excited about purchasing such an expensive camera with the idea of reverting back to 30 year old flash technology.  But really, I am indeed please for you finding a solution that works.

-- hide signature --

Clyde,

First of all  ...  very nice work on your site!

I hear what you are saying ... and you certainly have a point.

Problem for me is ... I have got all this lighting gear already.  along with four(4) sb900 and RadioPopper PX TTL  triggers for each of them at  $250 a pop.  Not to mention the Manual JrX triggers I own.

So, smooth transitions  take time , and money.

And for me  the biz of photography is to make a Profit.   So, spending less helps

Now, if it will  impact in Time (which is money) then a case can be made ... but tech on it's own does not always  Translate to time savings that puts money in my pocket.

p.s.  just because I put a 60m flash on a manual  Radio Trigger for a test  ... that does not mean I plan to use it that way.

I am a huge fan of CLS (but in Radio triggering)  ...  so no question I would love to use the Sony  Off camera flash TTL / Control system at some point.

Would even love to see a  RX1 that has an internal flash that could actually Trigger Sony Off camera flashes.   That would be a start.

or a 20m  that fits on the Standard Hot shoe  ...  start shipping that.  Maybe even with a head that can turn to the side so it can trigger line of sight a flash that is off to the side or in back of you.   fyi: a Sony 20m flash with a RadioPopper PX trigger (supporting Sony)  would be pretty small.  and useful.     and would support 3 top flash systems in one unit.

HG

-- hide signature --

Clyde Thomas
Like?
Re: Clyde,

Hawaii-geek wrote:

and for people like me ... having a Radio TTL/Control system that can work with  Nikon/Canon and hopefully SONY Flashes on a menu selection change (same PX gear) ... and trigger AB old strobes in HHS , and mix in Manual trigger flashes, with TTL  is a good thing.

What makes you think TTL and HSS work with CaNikon flashes on Sony?

-- hide signature --

Clyde Thomas
Like?
Re: Clyde, :)

Hawaii-geek wrote:

...a 20m  that fits on the Standard Hot shoe  ...  start shipping that.

The 20M has been announced.  Soon to be released.  It's an F20AM with an iISO/MIS adapter glued on permanently.  It highlights my embarrassment for our brand almost better than anything. Understand the deeper philosophy behind its creation.  Had Sony designed it from new, conformed to perfectly fit a99, then I could give some ground to them for foresight and vision.

But the current design only illustrates their lack of commitment to any serious flash endeavors.  It shows such lacking creativity... here's why... They left the little rubber fob on the front.  The ONLY purpose of that rubber was to protect flash and a900 prism from scarring one another.  Now that same flash sits up higher, does not fit a900, and does not fold flat against a99 SLT Hump.  But they left the rubber fob on anyway.

It's literally as if some shop manager is yelling to the assembly line to glue an adapter onto the old flash and call it a new one.  So insulting to loyalists.

Let them eat cake.

Same problems with the XLR adapter for microphones.  Not only should it have been created to attach directly to the MIS, without required cable and bracket (clumsy), but the controls are on the left side where they cannot be seen or adjusted from shooter position.  Yet the XLR cables shoot downward into the left hand of the videographer... Who's great idea was it to introduces a proclaimed integrated system by adding more cables and brackets that interfere with photographer focus hand?

Sony's design team is expressing all the ingenuity of a High School Freshman Solid Works contest.

Sorry for the rant, but when comparing this to the elegance of Canon's wireless file transfer module, and how it connects seemlessly into the body without killing anyones flash... well, it's just embarrassing for my brand.

Rant over.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads