DPMx at night?

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
Massimo Cristaldi
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
DPMx at night?
Mar 28, 2013

Dear All,

I'm mostly an architectural (night) photographer. You can check out my work here .

Over the last year I've been using mostly MF film cameras (Rollei professional) as well as high end Canon DSLRs.

I'm now seriously thinking about getting the DPM2, I saw many images and the resolving power is simply superb. It would be a tools to complement my current arsenal  maybe using it with some pano head for higher res work.

I know all the quirks of the camera, but as an entusiast user of an x100 for street/personal works, I would not care a lot. At the end, shooting film on 6x6, means few shots (12), time and thinking so I would not bother about slow writing times etc. And for faster street shots I'll still keep the x100, or maybe later on the x100s.

What interest me more is how the DPM2 performs at night. First issue is how the custom white balance works. I normally use the Markins CBL  for getting the correct color temperature in mixed light conditions. I find this tools really great with my Canons.

How does the DPM series work to this respect? I saw great positive fdbks for full light images but actually wasn't able to find images or interesting source from night photographers.

I would love to hear from you,

Massimo

Massimo Cristaldi's gear list:Massimo Cristaldi's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hornbrille
Regular MemberPosts: 302Gear list
Like?
Re: DPMx at night?
In reply to Massimo Cristaldi, Mar 28, 2013

Here are some night shots from my flickr. The DP2M is quite useable but you need light. Moon is not enough.

Really dark foreground with blurred lights in the background. It was almost dark for this shot.

Terrible yellow was difficult to adjust. Camera handheld to a wall. This and the previous are really early shots with my DP2M.

Wrong ISO for this tripod shot . You need 100 ISO for less noise in the shadows.

This landscape appears lighter than it was. Quite usable I think.

City shot with many lights.

8 seconds shot inside of a smoker lit with normal ceiling light.

It's sometimes difficult for me to decide on color balance with mixed lights. I try to judge  it on my computer then.

Hornbrille's gear list:Hornbrille's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hornbrille
Like?
In reply to Hornbrille, Mar 28, 2013

Forgot this one with LED headlamp (30 sec at F11).

Sigma DP2 Quattro
victorgv
Contributing MemberPosts: 942Gear list
Like?
In reply to Massimo Cristaldi, Mar 28, 2013

Just my poor attempts

victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 21,104Gear list
Like?

Hornbrille wrote:

Forgot this one with LED headlamp (30 sec at F11).

That one is cool.

I assume you have painted the path with the lamp.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Massimo Cristaldi
Like?

Hornbrille wrote:

It's sometimes difficult for me to decide on color balance with mixed lights. I try to judge  it on my computer then.

Thank you for the photos. A mixed bags of feelings out of them. ISO 500 does not look bad, it has quite a good texture. The light looks all a bit "off". From my long time experience on night on Bayer sensors I never adjust WB in PP: it simply does not assure to get the light of the place at the time of shooting. Tried to adjust WB in PP going to the same setting of a shot "corrected" in place thanks to the CBL but found the result not satisfactory. Of course with Foveon it's all to be explored...

Any chance to adjust the WB with something like a CBL or similar devices @ shooting time?

Massimo

cquarksnow
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?
In reply to Massimo Cristaldi, Mar 29, 2013

These are night pictures (unretouched OOC) taken in the West Village (New York) last September :

highline

view from Little West 12th St

Amateur shots, but this is just to give a perception...

Chris

cquarksnow's gear list:cquarksnow's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,643Gear list
Like?

The Foveon cameras usually take to a custom WB quite well - do you have any examples of what mixture of light sources you are thinking of?  Like streetlight/twilight, or just different outdoor lights?

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Hornbrille
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Mar 29, 2013

Yes, Roland, it's a light painting. This photo was a surprise to me in several ways. Firstly, I didn't know that my headlamp gives such a yellow light. Than I didn't expect the sky to be visible at all. It was almost dark at shooting time. I wouldn't run with a headlamp in daylight. Biggest surprise was that the image came out so good. This was my first attempt at light painting in a landscape and it was solely intended as a documentary of my running path.

Uwe 8-)

Sigma DP2 Quattro
Hornbrille
Like?

Massimo,

I think a CBL would work no worse than with any other camera. I simply haven't one. The consense of most experienced users of Sigma cameras is probably to use a custom white balance with either a grey card in situ or something like a CBL. The former works only for the lights shining on the card and the later gives maybe an better overall neutral color balance. You may put a greycard in a testshot and adjust in PP as a third way or use one of this lenscap style white balance tools to find  your white balance.

Uwe 8-)

Sigma DP2 Quattro
Massimo Cristaldi
Like?
In reply to Hornbrille, Mar 30, 2013

Sure,Uwe, and using CBL is what I normally do. My question was about how reliable is the custom white balance setting on Dp merrills. Have you tried it?

Massimo

Hornbrille
Like?
In reply to Massimo Cristaldi, Mar 30, 2013

Massimo,

look at Vieris color test of the DP Merrill cameras. CWB seems to be very reliable even across all three cameras. I have done some experiments with color filters mostly to try out monochrome and I found that under extreme conditions a CWB is impossible. Such conditions are shooting through a red filter or under strongly coloured light. Strange things happen as well if you try to use a colored target for CWB.

Uwe 8-)

Sigma DP2 Quattro
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 45,959Gear list
Like?
I find night shooting with the DP2M to be awful
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Mar 30, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

The Foveon cameras usually take to a custom WB quite well - do you have any examples of what mixture of light sources you are thinking of?  Like streetlight/twilight, or just different outdoor lights?

-- hide signature --

---> Kendall

No doubt if I was shooting on a tripod at 100 ISO, the results would be fine, but as it stands now, my old DP2 did much better at ISO 3200, 1600 and 800.

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Hornbrille
Like?
In reply to Massimo Cristaldi, Apr 2, 2013

Massimo, I ordered one of this CBL and will give a short report next weekend.

Uwe 8-)

Sigma DP2 Quattro
Massimo Cristaldi
Like?
In reply to Hornbrille, Apr 4, 2013

Hornbrille wrote:

Massimo, I ordered one of this CBL and will give a short report next weekend.

Uwe 8-)

Great... Keep me posted,

Massimo

cquarksnow
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?
In reply to Massimo Cristaldi, Apr 5, 2013

For a DP1M, what CBL lens would be best : 60mm, 85mm or 110 mm ?

Also it normal color better than neutral color in relation to using CBL ?

What's your take on this  : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50653968 ?

Thanks,

Chris

cquarksnow's gear list:cquarksnow's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill
Massimo Cristaldi
Like?
In reply to cquarksnow, Apr 5, 2013

cquarksnow wrote:

For a DP1M, what CBL lens would be best : 60mm, 85mm or 110 mm ?

Also it normal color better than neutral color in relation to using CBL ?

What's your take on this  : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50653968 ?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm using the CBL 110mm since first introduction (if I remember well around 2008). The device itself is very well conceived. It's not a simple "grey card", it takes into account reflections and refraction thanks the unique patterns they're using on it's surface. On the back it's a grey card. So it's a must have for any night photographer working in mixed lights conditions, in terms of nature (fluorescent, mixed tungsten etc) and temperature. With a wide angle lens as the DP1M the biggest diameter is the best to use.

No experience with the DPM till now, this is why I was asking how MERRILLs work with custom white balance and, specifically, with the CBL. The Foveon sensors has an incredible amount of detail but somebody (as in the thread you linked) complains about colors reproduction, especially in hard light conditions.

Uwe has ordered the CBL so I trust we'll be able to have his report as soon as he can...

Massimo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads