Who would buy a 'Sigma' 12/2.8 Prime @ $399

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
Chas J
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Who would buy a 'Sigma' 12/2.8 Prime @ $399
Mar 28, 2013

I do not need a f2.0 lens neither do I want to pay for one.   Sigma are putting out some good primes at circa $199.   I would guess they go do a 12/2.8 for under $399.

How much interest is there ? ... Who would buy a 12mm f 2.8 prime from them rather than the Oly f 2.0 ? ... I know that I would.

Chas.

-- hide signature --

Doha, Qatar.
==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Nikon D70s Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +19 more
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,783Gear list
Like?
no interest
In reply to Chas J, Mar 28, 2013

Chas J wrote:

How much interest is there ? ... Who would buy a 12mm f 2.8 prime from them rather than the Oly f 2.0 ? ... I know that I would.

Seeing as they would simply re purpose a NEX targeted UWA APS-C lens, we would be getting a rather oversized yet under-performing optic for the asking price.  The 14/2.5 is already cheap, small, and optically good, and can be stitched easily enough with two quick shots in vertical orientation.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011Gear list
Like?
I would not

I have the Sigma 19/2,8 and I'm not too impressed of that lens. It's nice sometimes to have 2,8 but it is not much sharper, if at all, than the 12-50 at 19 mm or the 9-18 at 18 mm, and as I have those two lenses I don't use the Sigma very much.

A Sigma 12/2,8 would be slower and bulkier than existing alternative primes, and maybe not much cheaper. And the 12-50 is not too bad at 12 mm and only 1/2 stop slower. Only if Sigma will make a remarkably better lens it would be interesting to me.

I have nothing against Sigma as a brand, they make excellent lenses for APS-C and FF and I have owned a couple of them, but I don't like their policy to only make half-decent cheap lenses for m4/3

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: I would not
In reply to MatsP, Mar 28, 2013

MatsP wrote:

I have the Sigma 19/2,8 and I'm not too impressed of that lens. It's nice sometimes to have 2,8 but it is not much sharper, if at all, than the 12-50 at 19 mm or the 9-18 at 18 mm, and as I have those two lenses I don't use the Sigma very much.

Both the Sigma 19 2.8 and especially the 30 2.8 are sharper than the Olympus 12-50.  In fact, the 30 2.8, the exact same lens as is on Sigma's excellent DP2 Merrill, is an extremely sharp lens.  On the Lenstip review, it resolves over 75 lpmm at f2.8.  Just for comparison sake, the Panasonic 20 1.7, an excellent lens, also reached 75 lpmm at it's best aperture (1 EV down from wide open).

A Sigma 12/2,8 would be slower and bulkier than existing alternative primes, and maybe not much cheaper. And the 12-50 is not too bad at 12 mm and only 1/2 stop slower. Only if Sigma will make a remarkably better lens it would be interesting to me.

Bulky? Sometimes reading the m43 forum, I feel like I've just arrived from outer space, as both the Sigma 19 and 30 2.8 are tiny lenses.  No they are not pancake lenses, but they take 46mm filters and weigh almost nothing, so when I read "bulky" in reference to the two wonderful Sigma lenses, I just have to scratch my head.

I have nothing against Sigma as a brand, they make excellent lenses for APS-C and FF and I have owned a couple of them, but I don't like their policy to only make half-decent cheap lenses for m4/3

Sigma adapted two of the best lenses (they are same excellent optics as found on the DP1 and DP2 Merrill camera in different casing) for m43 and are offering both lenses for $199 and people still complain????   Maybe lensmakers need to charge 500-900 USD for m43 primes for you guys to be happy.

Personally I have no problem with either Sigma lens, they are both extremely sharp with fast / quiet focussing due to the linear AF motors, great for stills and video.  And for the price, I couldn't possibly have any justifiable complaints.  The 19 2.8 even comes with a lens hood, unlike some other m43 lensmakers who I can think of.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Chas J
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
I would ...
In reply to marike6, Mar 28, 2013

marike6 wrote:

MatsP wrote:

Both the Sigma 19 2.8 and especially the 30 2.8 are sharper than the Olympus 12-50.  In fact, the 30 2.8, the exact same lens as is on Sigma's excellent DP2 Merrill, is an extremely sharp lens.  On the Lenstip review, it resolves over 75 lpmm at f2.8.  Just for comparison sake, the Panasonic 20 1.7, an excellent lens, also reached 75 lpmm at it's best aperture (1 EV down from wide open).

Bulky? Sometimes reading the m43 forum, I feel like I've just arrived from outer space, as both the Sigma 19 and 30 2.8 are tiny lenses.  No they are not pancake lenses, but they take 46mm filters and weigh almost nothing, so when I read "bulky" in reference to the two wonderful Sigma lenses, I just have to scratch my head.

Sigma adapted two of the best lenses (they are same excellent optics as found on the DP1 and DP2 Merrill camera in different casing) for m43 and are offering both lenses for $199 and people still complain????   Maybe lensmakers need to charge 500-900 USD for m43 primes for you guys to be happy.

Personally I have no problem with either Sigma lens, they are both extremely sharp with fast / quiet focussing due to the linear AF motors, great for stills and video.  And for the price, I couldn't possibly have any justifiable complaints.  The 19 2.8 even comes with a lens hood, unlike some other m43 lensmakers who I can think of.

I happen to agree.  Nicely put !. ... I think that it shows that they could do a decent job on 12/2.8.

Chas.

-- hide signature --

Doha, Qatar.
==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Nikon D70s Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +19 more
Tim200
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
Re: Who would buy a 'Sigma' 12/2.8 Prime @ $399

I would seriously consider it.  I need something wide with larger aperture for tight indoor video.  For photo, I get by ok with 14-45+flash.  Longer term, the 12-35 f2.8 will be the answer and I'm patiently saving for it.  An inexpensive sigma would be a nice filler until then.  I'd really like 12mm, but the 14 f2.5 is the fallback if nothing else comes along.  Will probably wait a few months to see.  The only other option I'm aware of is the slr magic 12mm, but would prefer something smaller w/auto focus.

Tim200's gear list:Tim200's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,613Gear list
Like?

Chas J wrote:

Who would buy a 12mm f 2.8 prime from them rather than the Oly f 2.0 ?

I wonder that too. Too slow, too expensive and probably too big.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Don Boethel
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Mar 28, 2013

Why not a 300 mm f/4?

-- hide signature --

DobB10

Don Boethel's gear list:Don Boethel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Future user
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
I'd prefer f1.4...

f2.8 would be too little difference from the f3.5 kit to me. I'd prefer a f1.4 and sharp wide open. Am I dreaming? There would be a great trinity: 12mm f1.4, 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8.

Future user
Like?
In reply to Tim200, Mar 28, 2013

Tim200 wrote:

I would seriously consider it.  I need something wide with larger aperture for tight indoor video.  For photo, I get by ok with 14-45+flash.  Longer term, the 12-35 f2.8 will be the answer and I'm patiently saving for it.  An inexpensive sigma would be a nice filler until then.  I'd really like 12mm, but the 14 f2.5 is the fallback if nothing else comes along.  Will probably wait a few months to see.  The only other option I'm aware of is the slr magic 12mm, but would prefer something smaller w/auto focus.

Another possibility is a front-mounted 0.5x wide converter to the Panasonic 25mm f1.4. Has anyone tried this?

Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313
Like?

I would be very interested in such a lens. The 12/2.0 is too expensive, even if it's good.

I have the 19/2.8 and it's very nice. A 12mm probably wouldn't perform quite as well, but UWA for no more than 400 would be a great deal.

Tim200
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
In reply to Future user, Mar 28, 2013

Future user wrote:

Tim200 wrote:

Another possibility is a front-mounted 0.5x wide converter to the Panasonic 25mm f1.4. Has anyone tried this?

Interesting.  I have the 25mm.  I've never used a converter.  How much, if at all, do they distort the image?

Tim200's gear list:Tim200's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Future user
Like?
In reply to Tim200, Mar 28, 2013

Tim200 wrote:

Future user wrote:

Tim200 wrote:

Interesting.  I have the 25mm.  I've never used a converter.  How much, if at all, do they distort the image?

This depends on the converter, but typically it's a barrel distortion, easily correctable in postprocessing.

mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,638
Like?
Sigma 11/4 for $199!

I liked my C/V 21/4... too many people are too fixed on the bragging rights of a really fast lens.

-- hide signature --
mh2000
Like?

MatsP wrote:

The only Sigma I have for m43 is the 30 and it is noticeably better than the Pan 14... and everyone thinks that is all good. The Sig 19 is way too big IMO, especially when you can get the Oly 17/2.8.

-- hide signature --
mh2000
Like?

MatsP wrote:

Some people prefer a prime. It's not all about sharpness. Also, the 12-50 is a pretty large lens, even compared to the largish Sig 19, right?

The only "alternate prime" that isn't expensive is the Pan 14 and a Sigma wouldn't have to be all that great to be better than the 14.

The Sig 30 is really much better than "half-decent!" They could make a "good" 12.

-- hide signature --
mh2000
Like?
In reply to Don Boethel, Mar 28, 2013

Don Boethel wrote:

Why not a 300 mm f/4?

-- hide signature --

DobB10

An inexpensive 300/5.6 would be in the realm of possibility and could be really useful. Canon makes a very respectable 400/5.6L.

-- hide signature --
somersetlad
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
In reply to mh2000, Mar 28, 2013

A 12 would not float my boat - but a 6-12 (as in FF 12-24 and APC 8-16 - had both) certainly would despite having 7-14. A 300 prime would not go amiss either.
John

somersetlad's gear list:somersetlad's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
joe talks photography
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: I would

MatsP wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
--
Joe

MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011Gear list
Like?

marike6 wrote:

MatsP wrote:

Oh my! Yes some things are nice, they are cheap and they come with lens hood. I'm not saying the 19/2,8 is a bad lens at all, but if I should have real use for it, it should have been much faster and sharper than it is.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads