Xe1 with 23 pancake lens or x100(s)?

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
TAGRIFFIN
Contributing MemberPosts: 632Gear list
Like?
Xe1 with 23 pancake lens or x100(s)?
Mar 28, 2013

Hi.

I think there is a 23mm pancake lens coming for the xe1  and just wondering what you people think it would compare to the x100 or x100s re. image quality.....

I have the x-e1 and would like to make it a little "smaller" i guess so it would be kinda "pocketable" and not sacrifice in iq..

Thanks for the input

Tim

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 728
Like?
Re: Xe1 with 23 pancake lens or x100(s)?
In reply to TAGRIFFIN, Mar 28, 2013

The last info from Fuji is the 23/1.4 won't ship until the end of this year, or early 2014. Anybody can tell you what they think the image quality will be like, but nobody will actually know until the lens ships. Almost a year from now.

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

...there is a 23mm pancake lens coming for the xe1...wondering what you people think it would compare to the x100 or x100s re. image quality.....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi.

I think there is a 23mm pancake lens coming for the xe1  and just wondering what you people think it would compare to the x100 or x100s re. image quality.....

I have the x-e1 and would like to make it a little "smaller" i guess so it would be kinda "pocketable" and not sacrifice in iq..

Thanks for the input

Tim

There will be a 23mm f1.4 coming out in the X mount but that lens will not be of a pancake design.  It will be almost as big as the 35mm f1.4.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
In reply to pcb_dpr, Mar 28, 2013

The latest news has the 23 f/1.4 and 27 panake lens released in summer, most likely the end of summer.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
simon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351
Like?

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for the input

Tim

Hi Tim,

I made my X-E1 "smaller" the other day by buying a 2nd hand 18mm Fuji lens ( a pancake )

I keep the 18mm on the X-E1 now (instead of the 18-55mm) 

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 728
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Mar 28, 2013

That would be great news! Where/when did you hear that? The last info I've seen was an interview with Kayce Baker, US marketing director, at www.imaging-resource.com. She said the 27mm (& 55-200) would ship March or April, the 23/1.4 (& 10-24) would be end of this year or early next year.

Has there been an official/reliable update since then with earlier availability for the 23mm?

Al Valentino wrote:

The latest news has the 23 f/1.4 and 27 panake lens released in summer, most likely the end of summer.

nvaristo
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to pcb_dpr, Mar 28, 2013

There was a recent thread about the future lens releases here on DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3454282#forum-post-51169425

Unfortunately all pics I've seen of Fuji's mockup lenses suggest the 23 mm f1.4 will be even bigger than the 35.

If Fuji released a pancake 23 mm f2 I would buy it in a heartbeat, but I don't think we'll see one at least for many years. That's why I've chosen the 18 mm route.

Here are pics of the 23 mm, 10-24 and 56 lenses from another forum:

http://www.fujixspot.com/f24/fuji-shows-10-24mm-f-4-ois-55-200mm-f-3-5-4-8-ois-zeiss-x-mount-primes-cp-161/index2.html

Best,
Niklas

steddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
In reply to nvaristo, Mar 28, 2013

My hands on thoughts on the two cameras are here

http://unashamedgeek.com

-- hide signature --
mattmadd
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for the input

Tim

I've just recently been lent and tried out the X100S directly against my X100.  The X100S now has the same look (image-wise) as the X-E1 and has lost that X100 feel (I didn't want to believe that, but after trying the two side-by-side it's true, sadly - those beautiful deep reds of the X100 are now distinctly magenta, and yes, they were set up identically!).  Aside from high-ISO, my X100 even out-performed the X100S in some areas!  I'm sure a firmware release will have the X100S up to speed, but for the moment I still prefer my X100.

If I didn't have any Fujifilm X-Series cameras and I had £1000 to spend, it would definitely be the X-E1 with the 18-55mm zoom as a starting point.... unless you really really really want that fixed lens, OVF, the silent operation of the X100S, and don't care about ever using another lens on it.

I'm not saying that the X100S is a bad camera, but it certainly isn't the quantum leap above the X100 that some rather over-enthusiastic reviewers have made it seem like.  The X100 remains a bloody good camera and is an absolute bargain at £499!!

TAGRIFFIN
Like?
In reply to simon, Mar 28, 2013

simon wrote:

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for the input

Tim

Hi Tim,

I made my X-E1 "smaller" the other day by buying a 2nd hand 18mm Fuji lens ( a pancake )

-- hide signature --

- Simon, SydneyHi Simon.....I am new to this idea...do you require an adapter or does it slip right on? Tim

TAGRIFFIN
Like?
In reply to mattmadd, Mar 28, 2013

mattmadd wrote:

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for the input

Tim

I've just recently been lent and tried out the X100S directly against my X100.  The X100S now has the same look (image-wise) as the X-E1 and has lost that X100 feel (I didn't want to believe that, but after trying the two side-by-side it's true, sadly - those beautiful deep reds of the X100 are now distinctly magenta, and yes, they were set up identically!).  Aside from high-ISO, my X100 even out-performed the X100S in some areas!  I'm sure a firmware release will have the X100S up to speed, but for the moment I still prefer my X100.

If I didn't have any Fujifilm X-Series cameras and I had £1000 to spend, it would definitely be the X-E1 with the 18-55mm zoom as a starting point.... unless you really really really want that fixed lens, OVF, the silent operation of the X100S, and don't care about ever using another lens on it.

I'm not saying that the X100S is a bad camera, but it certainly isn't the quantum leap above the X100 that some rather over-enthusiastic reviewers have made it seem like.  The X100 remains a bloody good camera and is an absolute bargain at £499!!Hi. Ya it is tempting to grab a used one for $650 Canadian. I have read many posts where the the iq or "look" of the x100s has lost something compared to the x100. Tim

simon
Like?
XE-1 with 18mm pancake vs X100
In reply to TAGRIFFIN, Mar 29, 2013

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

simon wrote

Hi Tim,

-- hide signature --

- Simon, SydneyHi Simon.....I am new to this idea...do you require an adapter or does it slip right on? Tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry for not answering earlier I didnt see your reply. Nope the 18mm I'm referring to is the Fuji 18mm pancake lens - it's one of the standard set of Fujinon lenses currently available. These do not require adapters and are all standard X-Mount lenses.

I've shown a picture of my X-E1 with an 18mm on (plus a screw on Grip to make body larger for hand holding ease) and my X100. As you can see the X-E1 is larger but not by a hellava lot.

My opinion is that neither of these cameras (with lenses in picture below) are "pocketable" in trousers but definately are pocketable in an overcoat or jacket.

Hope you find the picture useful.

My  X-E1 with 18mm Fujinon lens and HG-XE1 grip and the X100

regards

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
Re: XE-1 with 18mm pancake vs X100
In reply to simon, Mar 30, 2013

I am going to follow the same route - XE1+18 is just slightly bigger than my X10, which I found quite pocketable (if we speak about jacket pocket).

...Or wait! Won't it be wiser to get a used X100 for the same price as a new 18mm XF lens?
An opportunity to buy used 18 XF for $450 would make this choise easy, but in my place I can get only new lens for $600.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
simon
Like?
In reply to 1drey, Mar 30, 2013

1drey wrote:

I am going to follow the same route - XE1+18 is just slightly bigger than my X10, which I found quite pocketable (if we speak about jacket pocket).

...Or wait! Won't it be wiser to get a used X100 for the same price as a new 18mm XF lens?
An opportunity to buy used 18 XF for $450 would make this choise easy, but in my place I can get only new lens for $600.

-- hide signature --

Moscow VR blog - http://1drey.wordpress.com

Hi 1drey,

It is a good point you make, yes, you could argue that instead of a 18mm for the X-E1 why not buy a used X100. This had crossed my mind . . .

I already have an X100, but to be honest, I prefer shooting with the X-E1 and the 18mm. I had brought the 18mm 2nd hand (for AUD $400) and it was in almost new condition so I was happy.

Selling the 35mm XF (virtually a swap) to get the 18mm made this an easy choice. Btw: I love the FOV of the 18mm.

kind regards,

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
In reply to simon, Mar 31, 2013

simon wrote:

1drey wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hi 1drey,

It is a good point you make, yes, you could argue that instead of a 18mm for the X-E1 why not buy a used X100. This had crossed my mind . . .

I already have an X100, but to be honest, I prefer shooting with the X-E1 and the 18mm. I had brought the 18mm 2nd hand (for AUD $400) and it was in almost new condition so I was happy.

Selling the 35mm XF (virtually a swap) to get the 18mm made this an easy choice. Btw: I love the FOV of the 18mm.

kind regards,

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

Hi Simon,

Agreed about value/flexibility of 18mm FOV. Virtually anything can be shot with this lens

I just won a mint 18 XF on fleabay for $455 with delivery!

Cheers,

Andrey

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
simon
Like?
In reply to 1drey, Mar 31, 2013

1drey wrote:

Hi Simon,

Agreed about value/flexibility of 18mm FOV. Virtually anything can be shot with this lens

I just won a mint 18 XF on fleabay for $455 with delivery!

Cheers,

Andrey

-- hide signature --

Congratulations 

Where there's a will . . . .  there's a way !

$455 is a pretty good price (in mint cond.) too.

-- hide signature --

- Simon, Sydney

TAGRIFFIN
Like?
In reply to simon, Apr 4, 2013

Thanks foe the picture..that helps.

Tim

Keyboard shortcuts: