night skies under a full moon

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
night skies under a full moon
Mar 28, 2013

I posted a topic few weeks ago on how to take pictures of stars with blue sky & clouds (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3394981). Today I went at it again, as it's a full moon today. Unfortunately it was quite cloudy so I wasn't able to get too many stars:

What I did differently this time was setting white balance to fluorescent, and opened up the aperture to keep ISO down. Lenses used: SEL16F28 + VCL-ECU1 & Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye. C&C welcomed!

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162
Like?
Re: night skies under a full moon
In reply to kev777zero, Mar 28, 2013

The Rokinon flares like a mad dog. Maybe not so much when closed down a bit?

You also have to adjust the contrast a bit with the overblown city lights and walls versus the sky in post processing.

Maybe turn the camera to the side left of the pier for an unlit more 'natural' scene?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Mar 29, 2013

There were less clouds today so I gave it another try. Unfortunately the moon seemed to be buried somewhere so the sky wasn't as lit up like yesterday. I stopped down a bit and turned down exposure, but I still seem to be getting way overexposed buildings. I also took a shot on the other side of the pier.

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
ajmiarka
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Mar 29, 2013

Third picture is my favorite.   Having the people and also the stars in the sky look awesome.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads