D7100 1.3 Crop Mode, how to activate?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
SpenJam
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
D7100 1.3 Crop Mode, how to activate?
Mar 27, 2013

I have setup the AEL button to toggle between 1.3 crop mode and DX mode, but  after trying it out with 3 different lenses, do not see any change in focal length?  Does it only work with certain lenses?  Tried activating it from the shooting menu, same non-result, what am I doing wrong here.  Read the manual and it does not list any special lens requirements, please let me know, maybe I need some additional settings changed.  Thanks!  Jim

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,483
Like?
No change
In reply to SpenJam, Mar 28, 2013

SpenJam wrote:

I have setup the AEL button to toggle between 1.3 crop mode and DX mode, but  after trying it out with 3 different lenses, do not see any change in focal length?  Does it only work with certain lenses?  Tried activating it from the shooting menu, same non-result, what am I doing wrong here.  Read the manual and it does not list any special lens requirements, please let me know, maybe I need some additional settings changed.  Thanks!  Jim

Real focal length does not change...only how much of what the sensor sees that is recorded changes. In DX mode the whole frame gets recorded. In 1.3 mode only the inner 70% gets recorded. Try this...take a picture in DX mode of a calendar on the wall filling the view finder. Now switch to 1.3 mode and take the same pic with the calendar filling the view finder again (ignore the crop grid in the viewfinder). Now compare the two pictures on your computer...the Saturdays and Sundays are missing in 1.3 mode

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SpenJam
Like?
Re: No change
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 28, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

SpenJam wrote:

Real focal length does not change...only how much of what the sensor sees that is recorded changes. In DX mode the whole frame gets recorded. In 1.3 mode only the inner 70% gets recorded. Try this...take a picture in DX mode of a calendar on the wall filling the view finder. Now switch to 1.3 mode and take the same pic with the calendar filling the view finder again (ignore the crop grid in the viewfinder). Now compare the two pictures on your computer...the Saturdays and Sundays are missing in 1.3 mode

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I was under the impression that my 200mm lens would photograph the center crop area in the viewfinder and equate to appox a 300mm lens, each photo looks the same in my photo editing program, is the change in appearance really that insignificant?  I just photographed a clock dial and do not any difference in the photos at 300mm crop and DX mode, here they are (disregard flash blowout)

Essentiall the same at all focal lengths and if I shoot a landscape, looks to be no difference???

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,483
Like?
Both are crop mode

SpenJam wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

SpenJam wrote:

-- hide signature --

I was under the impression that my 200mm lens would photograph the center crop area in the viewfinder and equate to appox a 300mm lens, each photo looks the same in my photo editing program, is the change in appearance really that insignificant?  I just photographed a clock dial and do not any difference in the photos at 300mm crop and DX mode, here they are (disregard flash blowout)

Essentiall the same at all focal lengths and if I shoot a landscape, looks to be no difference???

There should be a different resulting FOV and you should get the 1.3 crop outline in the view finder. In thiis case...both these images were taken in 1.3 crop mode. You apparently never went back and selected DX mode for the other picture. ViewNX2 shows both of these are 1.3 crop mode pictures and the file dimensions agree.

-- hide signature --

wildlifr
Contributing MemberPosts: 815Gear list
Like?

You mustn't be activating it correctly. See page 64 of manual. When it's activated, a 1.3x indicator as well as a 1.3x frame shows up in the viewfinder.

wildlifr's gear list:wildlifr's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
BobandMic
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?

Picture 1 is at DX, Picture 2 is at 1.3 crop mode.

BobandMic's gear list:BobandMic's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +2 more
SpenJam
Like?
In reply to wildlifr, Mar 28, 2013

wildlifr wrote:

You mustn't be activating it correctly. See page 64 of manual. When it's activated, a 1.3x indicator as well as a 1.3x frame shows up in the viewfinder.

I see what is happening, the menus say you can use the AE-L AF-L button to change back and forth 1.3 and DX, when I press it and rotate the front thumbwheel, the 1.3x goes off in the viewfinder, but when i focus it comes back on (to what the shooting menu is set to.).  Are you only able to change it from the shooting menu then, the custom button function button indicate differently...

Looking for a quicker way to activate (that sticks lol), anyone else use any custom buttons that actually work???

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,292Gear list
Like?
Interesting...

I didn't turn it on in the shooting menu and it toggled on and off fine.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
SpenJam
Like?
Re: Interesting...
In reply to JimPearce, Mar 28, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

I didn't turn it on in the shooting menu and it toggled on and off fine.

-- hide signature --

Jim

From the AEL it toggles on and off fine, but goes back to what the shooting menu has setup when you press on the shutter button.

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,292Gear list
Like?
Uh, no...

I was shooting with it yesterday and it worked just fine. But maybe setting the shooting menu to 1.3x crop overrides?

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
mothman13
Contributing MemberPosts: 925Gear list
Like?
Check your pixel dimensions

In full DX mode, your photo should be 6000 x 4000 pixels.  Using the 1.3 crop mode, your photo should be 4800 x 3200 pixels.  If you are not seeing this difference in size, you're not in 1.3 crop mode.  If you ARE seeing different sizes between the two modes, you should see that you're simply cutting the center 4800 x 3200 pixels out of the original 6000 x 4000 pixels.  Those 4800 x 3200 pixels ARE THE SAME pixels.  The pixels don't change.  You don't get any magic magnification.  If you printed each picture at 6 x 4 inches, the 1.3 crop mode picture would APPEAR to have greater magnification, but you're simply cropping into a picture and blowing up the remaining pixels.

This shows the frame of view using 1.3 crop mode.

DX Mode field of view.

1.3 Crop mode field of view.

You can see that when viewing the two photos at the same viewing size, the 1.3 crop mode appears to be slightly magnified.  You can also see that it is simply the center portion cropped out of the original photo (notice how there are less of the wings visible and the feet are closer to the bottom of the photo).  The pixels didn't change.

Hope this helps,

-- hide signature --

Mothman13
www.texasmothman.com

mothman13's gear list:mothman13's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?
Digital zoom mode
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 28, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

SpenJam wrote:

Real focal length does not change...only how much of what the sensor sees that is recorded changes. In DX mode the whole frame gets recorded. In 1.3 mode only the inner 70% gets recorded.

When I was a little boy, and dinosaurs roamed the earth, they use to call this "digital zoom". But 1 step "digital zoom" sounds lame, so all the cool kids call it "crop mode".

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

SpenJam
Like?
Re: Check your pixel dimensions
In reply to mothman13, Mar 28, 2013

mothman13 wrote:

In full DX mode, your photo should be 6000 x 4000 pixels.  Using the 1.3 crop mode, your photo should be 4800 x 3200 pixels.  If you are not seeing this difference in size, you're not in 1.3 crop mode.  If you ARE seeing different sizes between the two modes, you should see that you're simply cutting the center 4800 x 3200 pixels out of the original 6000 x 4000 pixels.  Those 4800 x 3200 pixels ARE THE SAME pixels.  The pixels don't change.  You don't get any magic magnification.  If you printed each picture at 6 x 4 inches, the 1.3 crop mode picture would APPEAR to have greater magnification, but you're simply cropping into a picture and blowing up the remaining pixels.

This shows the frame of view using 1.3 crop mode.

DX Mode field of view.

1.3 Crop mode field of view.

You can see that when viewing the two photos at the same viewing size, the 1.3 crop mode appears to be slightly magnified.  You can also see that it is simply the center portion cropped out of the original photo (notice how there are less of the wings visible and the feet are closer to the bottom of the photo).  The pixels didn't change.

Hope this helps,

-- hide signature --

Mothman13
www.texasmothman.com

Thanks, great example, I found out it was not working as intended from the AE-L AF_L button, it would change but as soon as you touch the shutter button, it changes back to the original mode specfied in the shooting menu.  That is not how it was intended to operate, I was wondering if any other custom buttone actually work, will try changing them later.

liv2paddle
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Digital zoom mode
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Mar 28, 2013

When you ser  the AE-L AF-L button in crop mode..the set step is you have to turn the front command dial to set it to 1.3 or DX while holdig down the AE-L AF-L button  ..

liv2paddle's gear list:liv2paddle's gear list
Nikon D7000
SpenJam
Like?
Re: Digital zoom mode
In reply to liv2paddle, Mar 28, 2013

liv2paddle wrote:

When you ser  the AE-L AF-L button in crop mode..the set step is you have to turn the front command dial to set it to 1.3 or DX while holdig down the AE-L AF-L button  ..

Thanks I did that, just found out that you need to press the button, turn to desired mode and then press it again for it to stay, otherwise when you press the shutter it reverts back to the original setting, thanks all for your time and brainstorming on this issue, I appreciate it!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads