Where's the "G" or Zeiss standard zoom?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Lattimer
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Where's the "G" or Zeiss standard zoom?
Mar 27, 2013

I intially bought into the Nex system when I was graduating from P&S and wanted something smaller than DSLR for travel. My wife and I usually end up taking one international trip per year, and I like to try and take the best pictures I can, because you never know when/if you'll be able to make it back to some of these locations.

I started with the Nex 5N and the kit 18-55 along with the Sigma 19 and 30.  I figured I could use those lenses to practice, and get the "G" zoom that was rumored to be just around the corner when it came out.  Months turned into more than a year and a half, and still no high end standard zoom is available for the e mount.  I've thought about getting the LA-EA2, but by the time I add that and an A mount lens, I could have just bought a full size DSLR.  I've worked my way up to owning most of the primes for the e mount (except 16mm pancake and the Zeiss 24) and now really feel committed to the Nex platform.

Anyway, we have a trip coming up in late April, and I was kind of holding out for the Nex 7N, but it looks like that won't be out in time. I went ahead and ordered a Nex 7 with credit card bonus points so it was "free".

Given that a higher quality zoom is unlikely to be available before our trip, should I start considering the SEL18200? Is the IQ much better than the kit SEL1855?  I dont mind swapping lenses occasionally, but if I could leave one lens on most of the time, it would make the trip much more enjoyable. If it's not clearly better than the 18-55, I guess I'll just make do with the kit lens most of the time.

Lattimer's gear list:Lattimer's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
Re: Where's the "G" or Zeiss standard zoom?
In reply to Lattimer, Mar 28, 2013

Your not going to have any problems with the kit 18-55mm lens.  With my experience as a tourist, if you want to take narrow European city streets, you  will need a good wide-angle.  The 16-50mm. will be probably just as good and will be much more compact.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468
Like?

I am waiting for the Zeiss zoom myself.

VelyC
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to miro3, Mar 28, 2013

How much do you think it will cost to buy the upcoming Sony G lens?

VelyC's gear list:VelyC's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,654
Like?

You mention having Sony primes.  If you have the 50 f1.8 and/or the 35 f1.8 to go along with your 18-55 then you should be fine.   The 18-55 is a capable lens so you shouldn't have to change lenses that often.   If you need more reach though then you might want to get the 18-200 to complement your primes.

ttan98
Contributing MemberPosts: 934
Like?
Re: Me Too-->
In reply to Clayton1985, Mar 28, 2013

Fujifilm has 18-55mm lens @ f2.8 for XE camera, also Lumix 14-45mm lens for micro four thirds, both excellent lens, where is the G lens for Sony Nex cameras of comparable quality?

I am still waiting.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,253Gear list
Like?
Re: Me Too-->
In reply to ttan98, Mar 28, 2013

ttan98 wrote:

Fujifilm has 18-55mm lens @ f2.8 for XE camera, also Lumix 14-45mm lens for micro four thirds, both excellent lens, where is the G lens for Sony Nex cameras of comparable quality?

I am still waiting.

buying a camera because you hope or think that some day it will have the lenses you want is silly

trusting manufactures "road maps" and their announced "time lines" is also silly

personally I would never buy a camera if it didnt already have the lens options I felt were critical

As to the OP - - if I were taking the trip you are taking I would take my NEX-& with the 30mm f/2.8 as my primary setup and I would pack the 18-55 along just incase  - - I would also take my little flash

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
HVL-F20AM Flash
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?

Lattimer wrote:

I've thought about getting the LA-EA2, but by the time I add that and an A mount lens, I could have just bought a full size DSLR.

Ah, but here's the thing, can a full-size DSLR fit into your pocket like your NEX+Sigma 30 can? Think on that.

On subject, the high-quality zoom will come when it will come. Interesting that there haven't been any more rumors of late...hmm.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?

The 18-200 isn't really better than the kit from what I've seen, it's just for convenience. If you want the longer reach I guess it is the way to go but for the same or a little more money you could probably get the LA-EA2 and the 16-50 2.8 or 16-80 3.5-4.5 used. Those are lenses that are both something special and not just the same quality as lenses you already have.

A little bulkier maybe but the 18-200 is also pretty bulky. Worth trying out at least.

TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,474Gear list
Like?

Lattimer wrote:

I intially bought into the Nex system when I was graduating from P&S and wanted something smaller than DSLR for travel. My wife and I usually end up taking one international trip per year, and I like to try and take the best pictures I can, because you never know when/if you'll be able to make it back to some of these locations.

I started with the Nex 5N and the kit 18-55 along with the Sigma 19 and 30.  I figured I could use those lenses to practice, and get the "G" zoom that was rumored to be just around the corner when it came out.  Months turned into more than a year and a half, and still no high end standard zoom is available for the e mount.  I've thought about getting the LA-EA2, but by the time I add that and an A mount lens, I could have just bought a full size DSLR.  I've worked my way up to owning most of the primes for the e mount (except 16mm pancake and the Zeiss 24) and now really feel committed to the Nex platform.

Anyway, we have a trip coming up in late April, and I was kind of holding out for the Nex 7N, but it looks like that won't be out in time. I went ahead and ordered a Nex 7 with credit card bonus points so it was "free".

Given that a higher quality zoom is unlikely to be available before our trip, should I start considering the SEL18200? Is the IQ much better than the kit SEL1855?  I dont mind swapping lenses occasionally, but if I could leave one lens on most of the time, it would make the trip much more enjoyable. If it's not clearly better than the 18-55, I guess I'll just make do with the kit lens most of the time.

The normal process of a release of an E-Mount lens tilll this day is:

1-Rumor (Optional) some site says it is going to be release some day.

2-Added to Road Map. This could be 1 or 2 years in advance

3-Officially announced by sony.

4-Released (generally 2 months after announcement.

So, we are at point 2. No announcement yet, so it wont for sure be there for end of april.

Also, generally Sony announces at the beginning (to be released in march, april, the 20mm), another released at middle of the year, then at October aprox, and finally at December (like the 35mm was released).

So, we could have it at mid year, or at end of the year. It could appear at mid year as an expensive kit for the 7n, but that is only a supposition until it is released. It could be released as a kit with the 7n, but available stand alone some months after that. The 18200 Power zoom was released in 2012 as a kit for a VG model, but became a stand alone lens in the road map this year.

By the way, this is the road map. It says high performance (not speed) G zoom. It could be anything. Even a slow lens with very good IQ. Until it is announced, all is speculation. And by the way, there is no Zeiss Zoom on the Road map. It is a rumor (step 1) very very far away, if it ever happens.

Tiago

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Lattimer
Like?
In reply to TiagoReil, Mar 28, 2013

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not getting the feeling that there is any compelling reason to get the 18200 right now other than reach. I'll probably take both the 5N and 7 bodies so I have a backup along with the 18-55 and at least a couple of the primes. I may even take them all depending on space when I start packing. Of course I'd need to pick out one or two to take on each venture away from the hotel.

Lattimer's gear list:Lattimer's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468
Like?
In reply to VelyC, Mar 28, 2013

VelyC wrote:

How much do you think it will cost to buy the upcoming Sony G lens?

We will hopefully see next month.

chris norlund
Like?
In reply to miro3, Mar 28, 2013

Was the 20mm 2.8 supposed to be the pancake snapshot?  I was anxiously waiting for a cool pancake.

-- hide signature --

Chris Norlund
chrisnorlund.com
Waiting for NEX 7n

chris norlund's gear list:chris norlund's gear list
Sony RX1
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,520Gear list
Like?

Most of us have gone through this dilemma after buying the NEX7 with 18-55kit. I elected to get the EA2 plus 16-80 because I wanted better IQ and wider and longer reach in the one lens. Yes, it is a bigger package but the bulk is forgiven when you see the nice photos this lens delivers. Add the Sigma macro and you have a good setup. Fast, accurate and fun.

Vince

-- hide signature --

Everyone is an expert on dpreview!

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,604Gear list
Like?
In reply to chris norlund, Mar 28, 2013

The Op's question is legitimate & unfortunately Sony have demonstrated time & time again that they don't really understand Photographers needs. Like some I bought a NEX 7 very early & falsely assumed that suitable lenses would appear in a reasonable time. Mea culpa !

Sure now there is a selection of lenses covering 10-200mm , all of 'reasonable' quality but apart from the 24mm non stabilised Zeiss they are only average. Look at what Fuji have achieved in a relatively short time & they compare very favourably, All their lenses are of good quality & , although not the cheapest , they are affordable.

If I were starting out again I would take a different path, I made the mistake of trying to remain loyal to a familiar manufacturer & had to learn a lesson the hard way.....

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Brian_Downunda
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?

Lattimer wrote:

I could have written this myself, word-for-word, except the reference to the 18-200 which I wouldn't consider as it makes the camera too large.  I'm on such a trip right now and missing a quality mid-range zoom.  On the last trip I had dust problems from changing lenses that I couldn't easily solve myself on the road.  I was probably unlucky, even so, I agree with the OP that trips are more fun if you can minimise lens changes.

B.

TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,474Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Mar 28, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

The Op's question is legitimate & unfortunately Sony have demonstrated time & time again that they don't really understand Photographers needs. Like some I bought a NEX 7 very early & falsely assumed that suitable lenses would appear in a reasonable time. Mea culpa !

Sure now there is a selection of lenses covering 10-200mm , all of 'reasonable' quality but apart from the 24mm non stabilised Zeiss they are only average. Look at what Fuji have achieved in a relatively short time & they compare very favourably, All their lenses are of good quality & , although not the cheapest , they are affordable.

If I were starting out again I would take a different path, I made the mistake of trying to remain loyal to a familiar manufacturer & had to learn a lesson the hard way.....

-- hide signature --

Keith C

While I agree that sometimes sony's decisions don't make that much sense, there is a roadmap, and it has been met every year, so I think it is more the buyer who has to understand if the nex line is for him or not, and not complain for something like this.

We can still discuss the logic, and when you start thinking who sony is targeting  it is pretty obvious  It is targeting P&S upgraders  and they are selling these cameras with just 1 lens most of the time. Remember that not so long ago it was critisized for the sizes of the lenses. Since then, it released the power zoom, a 35mm and now a 20mm, all small compared to the previous kit zoom. But of course, it is impossible to have everybody happy.

As it has been discussed time and time again, sony caters to 3 customers:

Videographers

P&S upgraders

Advance amateurs.

Because of that the release of lenses through the year has to be splited between these customers. But again, with a very obvious roadmap, I think that complaining is a bit ridiculous. Discussion it, it is ok, but you cant say sony didnt say already what it plans to release.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,604Gear list
Like?
In reply to TiagoReil, Mar 28, 2013

When I bought the roadmap didn't exist but foolishly I believed in promises made by a Sony rep ! OK things are different now but seeing a roadmap doesn't actually guarantee anything , it certainly doesn't give reliable dates for the next releases for instance.

Who in Sony made the decisions about the Heinz varieties of the 18-200 mm zoom ? Who was it didn't realize that when they decided to move up-market with the NEX 7 that better lenses were required ? Who decided to persuade Zeiss to bring out more lenses without addressing the issue of lack of IS ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?

I think some of this can be chalked up to Fuji targeting the niche/serious photographer market and thus putting all of their resources in to developing premium, fast primes. They haven't made consumer targeted products or consumer lenses.

I'm envious of what they've accomplished, but at the same time I think your comment smacks of bias towards something marketed as "pro" gear. The Sony 35 and 50 might not match up perfectly to Fuji primes but they are definitely worthy choices of great quality, and quite a bit cheaper too.

Harry Lew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

Who decided to persuade Zeiss to bring out more lenses without addressing the issue of lack of IS ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

FWIW, Zeiss views IS as compromising IQ. So they don't view the lack of IS as being a negative; in fact, they see it as a positive.

-- hide signature --

Harry Lew
'Buying gear is easy. What's hard is paying for it.'
http://harryjohn.smugmug.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads