Suitable D600 Alternative When Size/Weight Are An Issue

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Vetteran
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Re: Suitable D600 Alternative When Size/Weight Are An Issue
In reply to Brad Davis, Mar 29, 2013

Well, I've was there a few years ago and you should be concerned about a "few extra pounds".  it's not harsh, but it can be demanding.  More importantly, there will be other priorities in your back pack like water, jacket, some food/snack, etc.

Think small and light. Nikon D3XXX and no more than 2 lightweight lenses is almost too heavy.  I'd recommend something smaller if possible like a decent/high end P&S.  A 35mm focal length is not wide enough although you'll get some great people shots. 24mm-28mm is fine for wide angle.

When I was there in the pre-digital days, I took R-series Leicas and lenses.  Way too heavy!

-- hide signature --

Warm regards and very respectfully,
VETTRAN
My travel blog:www.midlifetravels.com

Vetteran's gear list:Vetteran's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Leica Digilux 2 Leica X1 Leica X Vario
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alfred
Contributing MemberPosts: 543Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpps, Mar 29, 2013

I enjoy using the Fuji 100 on trips. The picture quality is at the high end of APS-C. Some samples I placed here . Handling takes the usual practice, but for the type of pictures shown, I found no particular problem. At night (city lights) I push ISO often manually to 3200. Then I end up typically with 1/100 s at f 2.8. Now, if need be, I can turn f-stop or speed to a particular value to control shake or depth of field as desired. Those manual overrides on this camera are a breeze to use - particularly if you grew up that way...

-- hide signature --
Intence
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to Vetteran, Mar 29, 2013

My personal take on the current mirrorless ILCs are that they're pointless.  If you need a bag to carry it, you might as well take the D600 and a 50mm 1.8G.  Last year I traveled with a Canon T3i using the 40mm f2.8 Pancake lens, and it wasn't that obtrusive.  I'd give that new compact EOS body with a fast prime or two a long hard look.

With most mirrorless offerings, by the time you consider the lenses, they aren't all that much smaller (you still need a bag, and they're certainly not pocketable).  If you're carrying a bag, you might as well lug your DSLR (or buy a D3200).  There's a reason they use side-profile and full front-on shots of the mirrorless cameras to minimize how much the lenses stick out.

1. Get an RX100, it's truly pocketable and supposedly offers great image quality

2. D3200 or Canon's new baby EOS

The stuff in between wouldn't be THAT much smaller.

DVSteve
Contributing MemberPosts: 910
Like?
In reply to Brad Davis, Mar 29, 2013

Brad Davis wrote:

I've also seen this setup from Peak Design--intriguing, but I wonder how it works in real life--anybody ever use one?  They have an informative video on this site that outlines the product if you have not seen it before.

https://peakdesignltd.com/capture/

Yes, I have the "capture" from Peak Design.  I use it all the time because I take a small pack with me (at the very least) every time I do something outdoors:  skiing, hiking, backpacking, riding, etc.  I also did not like having to take the pack off & dig out the camera all the time.  I ran across the capture on Kickstarter & have been extremely happy with it.  I just clamp it on my backpack shoulder strap & I have instant access to my camera at all times.  I didn't like any of the other products like the cotton carriers & so forth because they add bulk.  Not only that, but seeing as how most of my hiking/backpacking is in the desert, any added holder that blocks air circulation & creates yet another source of sweat is out of the picture.

pipee
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to DVSteve, Mar 30, 2013

Buy a second hand 28-80 3.3-56 for $50.

It weighs next to nothing, sharp, great AF. It is the best FX mid zoom if size and weight is important. My D600 with 28-80 weighs less than the crop frame kits.

jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
In reply to Brad Davis, Mar 30, 2013

I am pondering something similar for a 212 mile backpack trip where every oz of carry weight matters a lot and I don't want the extra weight of a dSLR. yet I still want to be able to capture great photos.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably get a Sony NEX-6 or NEX-7 with the 16-50 zoom and probably the Sigma 19mm prime.  When you add in some spare batteries, this kit will be significantly lighter than my dSLR alternatives, yet still be an APS-C sensor with pretty good performance (actually performs better than my D300, though obviously not the same as the D600 sensor, but if you're going smaller/lighter, you have to give up something).  My reasoning for adding the prime is to give me something that is sharper across the entire FOV at large apertures.  The zoom will produce good results in good light with nice flexibility, the prime could be used at larger apertures.

Since you sound like you might be OK with a single fixed prime (something I was not OK with), you might also consider the Nikon Coolpix A since it's also APS-C and reputed to have pretty nice performance.

-- hide signature --
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?

Brad Davis wrote:

With this criteria and a target budget of say 1k to 1,500 tops, I've been looking at a Sony NEX-6 with their new 16-60 power zoom (collapses quite small) or a Fuji X100s or even a used X100.

I'd use D600 + one or two small primes instead.

Better handling, better image quality, and you won't spend $1,500. It's a win any way you look at it.

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,849
Like?

Brad Davis wrote:

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? I realize this is pretty open ended and certainly I don't want to start a massive debate on this camera vs that camera, but just wondering about people's thoughts/reactions to the process I am going through here...thanks....

My first pick would be D600 + 24-85VR, togather they weight around 1300g, the most you would same regardless which camera you go would be 2 pounds-ish. Is it a big saving? depends on how much other gear you have.

Swapping 24-85 to a 50 1.8G saves you less than 300 grams, you lose a lot of range.

RX100 is very good probably the best zoom compact today. LX7 does not have a better lens - 4.7mm F1.4 gathers less light than 10.3 F1.8. RX100's lens gathers more light than any other camera in its class. Its price is quite good when you consider how expensive Nikon 1 series with an F1.8 lens are.

Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,852Gear list
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Mar 30, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

Brad Davis wrote:

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? I realize this is pretty open ended and certainly I don't want to start a massive debate on this camera vs that camera, but just wondering about people's thoughts/reactions to the process I am going through here...thanks....

My first pick would be D600 + 24-85VR, togather they weight around 1300g, the most you would same regardless which camera you go would be 2 pounds-ish. Is it a big saving? depends on how much other gear you have.

Swapping 24-85 to a 50 1.8G saves you less than 300 grams, you lose a lot of range.

RX100 is very good probably the best zoom compact today. LX7 does not have a better lens - 4.7mm F1.4 gathers less light than 10.3 F1.8. RX100's lens gathers more light than any other camera in its class. Its price is quite good when you consider how expensive Nikon 1 series with an F1.8 lens are.

I've found the D600 and 24-85 very versatile. I just got done testing a 24-120 and sadly sent it back since my 24-85 was sharper almost everywhere.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
In reply to jfriend00, Mar 30, 2013

jfriend00 wrote:

I am pondering something similar for a 212 mile backpack trip where every oz of carry weight matters a lot and I don't want the extra weight of a dSLR. yet I still want to be able to capture great photos.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably get a Sony NEX-6 or NEX-7 with the 16-50 zoom and probably the Sigma 19mm prime.

To add to this, here's a weight comparison vs. the D600 + 24-85 being suggested here:

Sony NEX-7 with battery:  12.4 oz
Sony 16-50: 4.1 oz
Sigma 19mm: 4.9 oz
----------------------------- 
Total 21.4 oz

Nikon D600 with battery: 28.8 oz
Nikon 24-85:  19.2 oz
-------------------------------
Total 48 oz

So, the D600 would be 27.4 oz heavier ( more than 1.6 lbs heavier - more than double the weight).  So, it obviously depends upon how much you really want to save weight.  You could go with a lighter D600 lens like the 18-35 at 13.1 oz, but you're still at a total of 42oz (still double the NEX).

-- hide signature --
Si Gif
Regular MemberPosts: 446Gear list
Like?
If you don't have (or want to be) a Nepalize Sherpa Roadie

Check out the RX100. Frustrating absent optical viewfinder  but outstanding IQ & pocketability..

-- hide signature --

Cliff
------------------
Show me the way to get out of this world/ That's where everything is

Si Gif's gear list:Si Gif's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,803Gear list
Like?
Peak Design - Capture

Get one. It just plan works! Oh, at least in good weather. Have some sort of extremely lightweight weatherproof cover for your camera in dusty or wet conditions. Still, it's a lot better than extra straps or hiding the camera away in your backpack or in a separate small camera bag. I cannot say enough about how handy it is to have my camera instantly available on my backpack strap.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Mark B UK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Mar 30, 2013

aVolanche wrote:

Olympus OMD. Astonishingly good image quality. It's small, robust, weather sealed and has a fully fleshed out lens system.

I have a D600 and my wife has the OMD. I'm frankly amazed at how good it is.We has a Panasonic G3 before the Olympus. If you want a nice camera for VERY little money, it's very good.

Fred

I agree with this. The OP has said he's considering a Sony NEX with the 16-50 kit lens. IMO the OMD plus Lumix 12-35 is streets ahead. Not only are both weather-sealed - useful for travel photographers - but the lens is faster, and much higher quality. Also, the Oly is a real photographer's camera, endlessly customisable. I own this combination, plus the Lumix 35-100. The whole kit weighs less than any one of the 'holy trinity' 2.8 Nikkor zooms.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
SKPhoto12
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpps, Mar 31, 2013

I would take the X100s, not the X100. The former has had all the bugs worked out and really is an improvement. Good trip!

SKPhoto12's gear list:SKPhoto12's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 650D Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +8 more
Brad Davis
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Apr 1, 2013

aVolanche wrote:

Olympus OMD. Astonishingly good image quality. It's small, robust, weather sealed and has a fully fleshed out lens system.

I have a D600 and my wife has the OMD. I'm frankly amazed at how good it is.We has a Panasonic G3 before the Olympus. If you want a nice camera for VERY little money, it's very good.

Fred

Thanks Fred, I will take a look as I had not considered the Olympus.  Have heard good things about it though (now).....

Brad Davis
Like?
In reply to SKPhoto12, Apr 1, 2013

SKPhoto12 wrote:

I would take the X100s, not the X100. The former has had all the bugs worked out and really is an improvement. Good trip!

Thanks for the clarification, agreed completely.  If I end up liking the X100 that I rent, will for sure buy the "S" as it seems to be a nice step forward from the original model.  Still just not sure I can live with the fixed focal length on this trip though!  Thanks again.

Brad Davis
Like?
Re: Peak Design - Capture
In reply to James Pilcher, Apr 1, 2013

James Pilcher wrote:

Get one. It just plan works! Oh, at least in good weather. Have some sort of extremely lightweight weatherproof cover for your camera in dusty or wet conditions. Still, it's a lot better than extra straps or hiding the camera away in your backpack or in a separate small camera bag. I cannot say enough about how handy it is to have my camera instantly available on my backpack strap.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks Jim, I had been wondering how it performs so nice to hear from you.  If I end up with my DSLR or something so large it won't fit in a zipper pouch on my pack likely I will go this route.  The idea of strapping a bag across the front of my chest after putting on a backpack really isn't appealing to me.

Brad Davis
Like?
Re: If you don't have (or want to be) a Nepalize Sherpa Roadie
In reply to Si Gif, Apr 1, 2013

Si Gif wrote:

Check out the RX100. Frustrating absent optical viewfinder  but outstanding IQ & pocketability..

-- hide signature --

Cliff
------------------
Show me the way to get out of this world/ That's where everything is

The lack of the viewfinder is precisely what is scaring me away from this camera.....seems like it would be very difficult in bright sun.

rpps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367Gear list
Like?
Re: If you don't have (or want to be) a Nepalize Sherpa Roadie
In reply to Brad Davis, Apr 27, 2013

I'm off to New Zealand next Tuesday and it's driving me mad which camera to take with me, my new Fuji X100 has arrived and the picture quality is excellent but I wonder if 35mm Focal range will be wide enough.

I'm renting a car so carting the gear around shouldn't be a problem, so I have decided to take both cameras with me. The only downside is I will have to make sure where I store the cameras as far as having  them stolen. I wouldn't be able to leave them in the car or the hotel room when I'm not using them, so looks like I will carry them all the time when out of the car.

The Fuji can easily be carried when not in use as it would fit in my jacket pocket but not the big Nikon combination but that's the breaks I guess as I would hate to get over to New Zealand and wished I had both cameras.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +3 more
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,044Gear list
Like?
Sony RX1 ...
In reply to Brad Davis, Apr 28, 2013

Same sensor, nearly the same DxO score, killer 35mm lens.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads