Privacy or security concerns?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions
richard stern
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
Privacy or security concerns?
Mar 27, 2013

I printed some picture files at one of those large Kodak printing machines at a store in a mall, by putting them on a usb memory stick, then inserting the stick into the machine, choosing the files I needed printing, then hitting Print. I then removed the stick, and the files proceeded to print. Then I picked up the prints and paid at the desk. There was no 3rd party involved. Then I got to thinking this process is rather analogous to getting cash at an ATM with a debit card. I have in the past been robbed by someone "skimming" an ATM.- so do those machines keep any information, or copies of the files, and does this raise any privacy or security concerns?

-- hide signature --

Richard (rb_stern),
www.pbase.com/rb_stern
richard-s.smugmug.com

ANSWER:
johnsong
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170
Like?
Re: Privacy or security concerns?
In reply to richard stern, Mar 28, 2013

richard stern wrote:

I printed some picture files at one of those large Kodak printing machines at a store in a mall, by putting them on a usb memory stick, then inserting the stick into the machine, choosing the files I needed printing, then hitting Print. I then removed the stick, and the files proceeded to print. Then I picked up the prints and paid at the desk. There was no 3rd party involved. Then I got to thinking this process is rather analogous to getting cash at an ATM with a debit card. I have in the past been robbed by someone "skimming" an ATM.- so do those machines keep any information, or copies of the files, and does this raise any privacy or security concerns?

-- hide signature --

Richard (rb_stern),
www.pbase.com/rb_stern
richard-s.smugmug.com

If you have concerns bottom line do not use the service.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robertpicassa
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to richard stern, Mar 28, 2013

richard stern wrote:

-- hide signature --

Richard (rb_stern),
www.pbase.com/rb_stern
richard-s.smugmug.com

No these machines do not save any information. So don't worry about any thing.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,921Gear list
Like?
In reply to robertpicassa, Mar 31, 2013

robertpicassa wrote

No these machines do not save any information. So don't worry about any thing.

Without working for that store you used, you cannot say that with any certainty.  The machine itself may not store anything but what about the store's computer system that it is located at?  They may have their own protocols for keeping a log of photos printed. If you are afraid of your photo being stored in the system of a print service, print your photos at home and never show them on the internet or send through email.  Because email and attachments can be stored in mirror servers and be hacked into by hackers.  So never send any attachment through email that has private info like SSN or credit card numbers because they can be read and stolen by hackers.

Most internet provider email servers are not secure unlike private business email servers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads