Picasa creating duplicate folders

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
keirono
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Picasa creating duplicate folders
Mar 27, 2013

I had to reinstall Windows 7 the other week and ever since then Picasa has been giving me hell.

All my photos are on my T drive on my Synology NAS. This is mapped to Pictures on my PC.

I installed Picasa and set it to only watch My Pictures.

Yet it creates duplicate folders of everything.

In the list of available folders in Picasa, my T drive does not show.

I assumed that Picasa was scanning both Pictures and T and herefore displaying everything twice. So I unmapped them, reinstalled Picasa and started again. But exactly the same thing happens. And even after unmapping, T does not show in the list of available folders.

In fact, even though I have put a big red X against every folder to Remove from Picasa, it's still scanning and finding everything. When I click on an image and "locate on disk", it takes me to Documents, but no specific file. Yet there are no images in there. In the list of watched folders on the right panel, it has "My Pictures \\"  . I have no idea what this relates to.

I have even tried messing around with the watchedfolders.txt file to no avail.

After weeks of this I am at my wit's end. Can anyone please shed any light on this?

Sir Corey of Deane
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Re: Picasa creating duplicate folders
In reply to keirono, Mar 28, 2013

Did you instruct Picasa not to retain your data base before uninstalling it?

Btw, I've been using this indispensable (to me, anyway!) program for many years with no problems whatsoever and am only sorry I can't be of any real help.

Robert.

Sir Corey of Deane's gear list:Sir Corey of Deane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Kodak EasyShare CX7300 Kodak EasyShare CX7430 Kodak EasyShare P880 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,640
Like?
In reply to keirono, Mar 28, 2013

I used Picasa for a few years until I gave up on it for the reasons you cite. Then I switched to FastStone and find it much more 'professional'. My wife still has Picasa and gets annoyed with its duplications.

DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?
In reply to canuck dave, Mar 28, 2013

canuck dave wrote:

I used Picasa for a few years until I gave up on it for the reasons you cite. Then I switched to FastStone and find it much more 'professional'. My wife still has Picasa and gets annoyed with its duplications.

Never had a problem with Picasa duplicating files when instructed to only look into "My Pictures" where downloads initially go.  It seems the OP has a rather unique situation which is beyond my computer talent to be of help.

I have tried FastStone running it in tandem but finally gave up on it.  Too much work for the small gain.  The latest Picasa works well for the vast majority but it is 'Google' so I avoid all the silly add-ons.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
keirono
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to Sir Corey of Deane, Mar 28, 2013

Sir Corey of Deane wrote:

Did you instruct Picasa not to retain your data base before uninstalling it?

Btw, I've been using this indispensable (to me, anyway!) program for many years with no problems whatsoever and am only sorry I can't be of any real help.

Robert.

Thanks. Yes, I did instruct it to remove the database.

I have been using Picasa from pretty much day one and can't imagine using anything else now. I guess if I switched, I'd lose all my adjustments and edits, so i really want to get it working. When it works, it's great.

It's only since reinstalling Windows that this has happened and I'm convinced that in my case it has something to do with the NAS and all the mapping (which by the way, with my limited skills, was a nightmare to configure).

This is actually keeping me awake at night!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads