"I Take My Camera Everywhere". Really?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
"I Take My Camera Everywhere". Really?
Mar 27, 2013

So many say they take their camera everywhere...never without it.  I've wondered if all that traveling in a car jiggles parts lose or knocks things out of alignment over time.  So on a recent ordinary trip to town where I expected to have no photo ops, I took my camera along.  Wouldn't you know it.  Had to brake suddenly and my SX50 fell into the floorboard   Note to self...SX50 needs to "buckle up" or ride in the floor board (which I feel like there is more vibration).  Maybe I'm over thinking this.  Wouldn't be the first time if I am.  It's not like I ride around in a rough old junker, I have a very smooth riding car but...

CSPoole
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
Re: "I Take My Camera Everywhere". Really?
In reply to Monicakm, Mar 27, 2013

SX50 rides in the armrest compartment of the Tahoe. The Rebels won't fit. Ride in a commandeered Tupperware container under the front seat. Hasn't turned up missing yet, but?

Thanks,CSPoole

CSPoole's gear list:CSPoole's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
saudidave
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Mar 27, 2013

I've had a camera riding in my car for 10 years or more. Why should anything rattle loose? The car itself is full of as much precision technology as my cameras - radios, engine management computers, satnav etc. My mobile phone is always with me for sure and has been for many years - well over a decade, and it's just fine too!

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,621Gear list
Like?

My SX50 fits nicely in the glove box (don't know what they are called this days?) in a little cloth box my wife (a quilter) made for me.  It seems to be happy there and I always try to key it locked.  But I doubt it would take much force to break into ithe locked glove box.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
John Spurs
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

I always take my camera out with me even in bad weather. Three weeks ago I fell and broke my right arm and my friends and neighbours all asked the same question. "Was your camera alright?". Thankfully it was.

John Spurs

Sunflower6
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
In reply to Monicakm, Mar 28, 2013

Monicakm wrote:

So many say they take their camera everywhere...never without it.  I've wondered if all that traveling in a car jiggles parts lose or knocks things out of alignment over time.  So on a recent ordinary trip to town where I expected to have no photo ops, I took my camera along.  Wouldn't you know it.  Had to brake suddenly and my SX50 fell into the floorboard   Note to self...SX50 needs to "buckle up" or ride in the floor board (which I feel like there is more vibration).  Maybe I'm over thinking this.  Wouldn't be the first time if I am.  It's not like I ride around in a rough old junker, I have a very smooth riding car but...

If you have the SX50 on a neck-strap, try hanging it over the headrest.  Then it won't travel when you have to hit the brakes.

I take mine almost everywhere.  I've lived in the city long enough that it's become habit: when I slam on the brakes, my right arm goes over to grab whatever's riding in the passenger seat, even if it's a person wearing a seat belt.  lol

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?

I have taken my SX40 all over with no problems, but no more probably than others.  However, my Sony WX150 I take with me almost every time I go jogging, clipped to my waist, so it has gotten a lot of shaking.   It now has about 1500 miles on it and is working fine just like when it was brand new.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
Sunflower6, make that the two of us...
In reply to Sunflower6, Mar 28, 2013

Sunflower6 wrote:

Monicakm wrote:

If you have the SX50 on a neck-strap, try hanging it over the headrest.  Then it won't travel when you have to hit the brakes.

I take mine almost everywhere.  I've lived in the city long enough that it's become habit: when I slam on the brakes, my right arm goes over to grab whatever's riding in the passenger seat, even if it's a person wearing a seat belt.  lol

I put my camera belt around the head rest too and reach for it if I have to slam the brakes hard which rarely happens. Safest place for a camera to "sit" in the car.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

PaulRivers
Senior MemberPosts: 7,413
Like?

This is one of many reasons why I carry an s100 which fits in my jeans pocket - no worries about that happening. (And no worries about accidentally leaving it on the front seat and it getting stolen, or setting it down on a table and leaving it behind, etc).

(Obviously you aren't going to get the same zoom range out of it, but jeans-pocketable is really nice if it meets your needs!).

jessm90
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to PaulRivers, Mar 28, 2013

got my sx50 in a sling type backpack goes everywhere. its quite safe, bigger problem is finding good places to stop...or enough time... to get a picture of something I've seen. don't expect it to break, but if it does at some point from being on the move all the time then at least ill know it got used.

Telyx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?

My Nikon D40 DSLR has accompanied me on many bicycle rides, kept in a small case bungeed to a carrier behind the seat.  No problems yet, and I'm looking forward to taking my SX50 along when the weather improves a bit.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?

Monicakm wrote:

I took my camera along.  Wouldn't you know it.  Had to brake suddenly and my SX50 fell into the floorboard

Nothing that is fragile should be just placed on a seat.  A good place for things is inside a compartment or on the floor in the back seat.

Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Mar 29, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Monicakm wrote:

I took my camera along.  Wouldn't you know it.  Had to brake suddenly and my SX50 fell into the floorboard

Nothing that is fragile should be just placed on a seat.  A good place for things is inside a compartment or on the floor in the back seat.

But then it's not quickly accessible, but, you're right.  I think I'll try putting the neck strap around the headrest of the front passenger seat (when I'm alone of course).

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,424
Like?
In reply to Monicakm, Mar 29, 2013

Monicakm wrote:

When my camera is in the car, it's in a well padded camera bag, backpack, whatever.  It doesn't take much - quick stop, acceleration, sudden turn - to turn anything loose into debris that falls or gets mashed against something else.

Mark

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,406
Like?

Monicakm wrote:

I always have my cameras in their cases and on the floor for exactly the reason you stated.  It will happen.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?
distracted driving

Monicakm wrote:

But then it's not quickly accessible, but, you're right.  I think I'll try putting the neck strap around the headrest of the front passenger seat (when I'm alone of course).

If you are driving a car, you should not have the ability to get a camera out to take pictures.  Unsafe.   The idea of taking a camera with you is to take pictures at places you go to now driving along the way.  Distracted driving.

JimCo
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
In reply to Monicakm, Mar 30, 2013

:-|Many, many years ago (1953 I think), when I was in the army (and long before the advent of digital cameras, and even film SLRs for that matter) I had a Kodak 35-mm camera with a split-image range finder. Its lens, as I recall, had a between-the-lens shutter, and had a maximum aperture of f/3.5 and a maximum shutter speed of 1/200 second. I used it with a GE light meter. It also had its own leather carrying case. At any rate, I had it on the front seat of my car when I had to suddenly brake. It slid off and hit the floor. I discovered that its shutter speed control dial (which encircled the lens barrel) would only deliver one speed. However, fortunately, I discovered that if before I would make a shot I would rotate this dial all the way to its slowest speed (which I think was either bulb or time) and then rotate it back to the desired speed, it would function properly. So I was saved so long as I would take this step for each shot. Eventually I sent it in for repair, and it worked fine after that until it just finally wore out and gave up the ghost. So I learned my lesson from that experience and have never let any camera just lie unsecured on a car seat.

JimCo

JimCo's gear list:JimCo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Derek Dean
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
In reply to Monicakm, Mar 30, 2013

I'm glad to hear you've started taking your camera "every where".  I've been doing that for nearly 50 years.... and trust me...... that's the way to get those once-in-a-lifetime shots.  Do understand, there are many, many times that I never take a photo ....... but because it's become such a regular part of my routine, when a shot does present itself, I'm ready to go and will usually get it.

Make sure you've always got a spare battery!

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Andrys
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
In reply to MurryG, Mar 30, 2013

The heat in a car on a hot day with the windows closed could hurt that camera's electronics if kept in the glove compartment for any lengthy time.  ?
I keep mine in a minimally padded cloth CaseLogic inside my purse or in a jacket pocket.

I did drop it the other day at the zoo, in its case, onto a cement path, but it has not seemed to be affected...

-- hide signature --

- Andrys
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/canonsx260 (casual tests)
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/sonyrx100 (casual tests)
http://j.mp/flickr-andrys (Flickr stream of Yosemite, Italy)

Andrys
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
In reply to Derek Dean, Mar 30, 2013

Derek Dean wrote:

I'm glad to hear you've started taking your camera "every where".  I've been doing that for nearly 50 years.... and trust me...... that's the way to get those once-in-a-lifetime shots.  Do understand, there are many, many times that I never take a photo ....... but because it's become such a regular part of my routine, when a shot does present itself, I'm ready to go and will usually get it.

Make sure you've always got a spare battery!

Yes.  I always have one in the zipped pocket of the CaseLogic...
I was driving along a Berkeley street when a DEER came right up to my car window.

I thought, "Oh, if I only had a camera!"  - I was so discombobulated I forgot I did have one

Probably would have left before I could get it out and all into place though...

-- hide signature --

- Andrys
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/canonsx260 (casual tests)
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/sonyrx100 (casual tests)
http://j.mp/flickr-andrys (Flickr stream of Yosemite, Italy)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads