D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,646
Like?
Nice
In reply to RudyPohl, Mar 27, 2013

RudyPohl wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

it's hard to go back.

I still recall my excitement when I bought the D80 in mid 2007 and downloaded the CNX trial version that came with it.

Once I started paying with u-point tools I never went back to jpeg shooting. Later I learned about WB control, then HLs and LLs recovery tools became available and RAW became even more relevant.

If you test recovering shadows or HLs with jpegs and raws you will see the difference. WB, of course, is the single most important reason to shoot RAW.

Good luck! (But View NX is just a converter, no actual PPing capabilities like CNX2 or other PP softs).

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

Hi Renato:

Yes, I am aware that View NX2 is just a converter, but it'll do just fie until Adobe's DNG Converter supports the NEF files from the D7100.

By the way, I find the RAW files from the D7100 are just fabulous. I applied ZERO sharpening, zero noise reduction, zero brightness, contrast etc, on this image, all I did was lighten the blacks on the head a little to bring out shadow detail and that's it.

Rudy

Nice example. Thanks for sharing. One note. ViewNX2 applies sharpening to the picture based on the camera setting you have set. The "zero" point on the ViewNX2 sharpening slider is actually the in camera setting. Yoy have to use the picture control utility to build a zero sharpening preset or use another convertor.  Good luck and enjoy.

Here is another nice way to do AF-Fine tune if you'd like another option

DotTune

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967
Like?
Re: Nice
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 27, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

it's hard to go back.

I still recall my excitement when I bought the D80 in mid 2007 and downloaded the CNX trial version that came with it.

Once I started paying with u-point tools I never went back to jpeg shooting. Later I learned about WB control, then HLs and LLs recovery tools became available and RAW became even more relevant.

If you test recovering shadows or HLs with jpegs and raws you will see the difference. WB, of course, is the single most important reason to shoot RAW.

Good luck! (But View NX is just a converter, no actual PPing capabilities like CNX2 or other PP softs).

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Hi Renato:

Yes, I am aware that View NX2 is just a converter, but it'll do just fie until Adobe's DNG Converter supports the NEF files from the D7100.

By the way, I find the RAW files from the D7100 are just fabulous. I applied ZERO sharpening, zero noise reduction, zero brightness, contrast etc, on this image, all I did was lighten the blacks on the head a little to bring out shadow detail and that's it.

Rudy

Nice example. Thanks for sharing. One note. ViewNX2 applies sharpening to the picture based on the camera setting you have set. The "zero" point on the ViewNX2 sharpening slider is actually the in camera setting. Yoy have to use the picture control utility to build a zero sharpening preset or use another convertor.  Good luck and enjoy.

Here is another nice way to do AF-Fine tune if you'd like another option

DotTune

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Thanks Mako, much appreciated!

Rudy

Whalligeo
Regular MemberPosts: 245
Like?
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

twas to nfpotter above not to you

-- hide signature --

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
In reply to Whalligeo, Mar 27, 2013

Whalligeo wrote:

why?

-- hide signature --

Because it's OK, it's a nice shot, but not superb.  Framing could have been a bit better, for one, which could be solved with a small crop.

Shunda77
Senior MemberPosts: 1,658Gear list
Like?

Good job Rudy!

Really impressive detail there that could probably even be sharpened just a smidgen more. The ability to crop that picture without loss of detail seems particularly impressive, are you enjoying the D7100?

rntbot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,497Gear list
Like?

Very nice image!  I can never get that close to those quick little critters.  How did you manage to get so close?

-- hide signature --

Always have your camera ready!

rntbot's gear list:rntbot's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Corel PaintShop Pro X4
RudyPohl
Like?
In reply to Shunda77, Mar 27, 2013

Shunda77 wrote:

Good job Rudy!

Really impressive detail there that could probably even be sharpened just a smidgen more. The ability to crop that picture without loss of detail seems particularly impressive, are you enjoying the D7100?

Hi Shunda77:

Thanks for your kind words, and YES I am enjoying this camera beyond my wildest expectations!

Rudy

RudyPohl
Like?
In reply to rntbot, Mar 27, 2013

rntbot wrote:

Very nice image!  I can never get that close to those quick little critters.  How did you manage to get so close?

-- hide signature --

Always have your camera ready!

I use delicious black sunflowers as bait, works every time!!!

Rudy

tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
In reply to RudyPohl, Mar 28, 2013

Wow, well shot. I'm amazed at how much resolution and detail there is at 100%. I can barely tell I'm looking at a 100% magnification view.

tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
Yo Rudy
In reply to tedandtricia, Mar 28, 2013

I don't care about the technique you used to perform the micro focus adjustments because however you did them it seems to have worked.  That's a nice sharp shot you have there.  Good job man.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
liv2paddle
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andrazh, Mar 28, 2013

Yo Rudy.. don't mess with fine tune unless you know what you are doing..reset and start over. You obvoiusly do not have the experience to mess with this!

liv2paddle's gear list:liv2paddle's gear list
Nikon D7000
wildlifr
Contributing MemberPosts: 842Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 28, 2013
ViewNX2 applies sharpening to the picture based on the camera setting you have set. The "zero" point on the ViewNX2 sharpening slider is actually the in camera setting. Yoy have to use the picture control utility to build a zero sharpening preset or use another convertor. 

It applies the picture settings to RAW files upon opening them in NX2? I didn't know that.

wildlifr's gear list:wildlifr's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,646
Like?
yes
In reply to wildlifr, Mar 28, 2013

wildlifr wrote:

ViewNX2 applies sharpening to the picture based on the camera setting you have set. The "zero" point on the ViewNX2 sharpening slider is actually the in camera setting. Yoy have to use the picture control utility to build a zero sharpening preset or use another convertor. 

It applies the picture settings to RAW files upon opening them in NX2? I didn't know that.

Yes...View/CapNX2 applies all your camera Picture Control settings when you first open the file. I like that as a starting point because I set up my camera with that in mind. It gives you the exact same thing as the JPEG in a RAW + JPG setup without the need for two files. As noted above...sharpening can be a special case and only CaptureNX2 can undo or change your ADL settings. 3rd party programs ignore ADL but that can be a real issue if you use it as it can change the real exposure parameters of ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.

-- hide signature --

RyanBoston
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Re: Once you start,
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 28, 2013

rhlpetrus wrote:

it's hard to go back.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
OnExposure member
(after Ed Murrow)

Great post!

You are so right! Back when I first got a D40 and Capture NX2 came out I was hooked on raw and playing with every setting in CNX2. It"s amazing at how correcting white balance and balancing a histogram can take a good picture and make it superb in post processing. I was hooked!

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Nikon D5300
87350iroc
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, Mar 28, 2013

nfpotter wrote:

Whalligeo wrote:

why?

-- hide signature --

Because it's OK, it's a nice shot, but not superb.  Framing could have been a bit better, for one, which could be solved with a small crop.

Better for who?

I am guessing Rudy did not take this picture wondering if you would like the framing.

I think the framing is perfect, bird is looking into the picture.

You are not one of these guys that thinks there is only one way to take a picture, are you?

87350iroc's gear list:87350iroc's gear list
Nikon D600 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Whalligeo
Regular MemberPosts: 245
Like?

nfpotter wrote:

Whalligeo wrote:

why?

-- hide signature --

sometimes you have to look at what is not there. over-sharpening, over-processing, that de-noised plastic look. No, its not perfect, but still pleasing to my eye. Also, I think the OP said somewhere the he is new to wildlife pics, so well done I say. Anyway, it is now on my desktop.

-- hide signature --

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to RudyPohl, Mar 28, 2013

Excellent detail in the feathers, eyes are in focus, good lighting, and nice bokeh.  In other words, a definite keeper.  Nice image.  Those little Chickadees are cute, but the definitely don't sit still for too long.

Good job, awesome camera.  Congrats, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Bailey151
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007
Like?

nfpotter wrote:

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  That is NOT the correct way to use AF Fine Tune (IF it's even needed, which most of the time it is not).

You need to do CONTROLLED TESTS, not just random shooting.  Too many variables, your way.  Ask Mako (or others here) for proper procedure, I don't have time to write it out, or search for it.

Yeah well right or wrong given how sharp the image is it would seem he got it nailed.

marike6 wrote:

Excellent detail in the feathers, eyes are in focus, good lighting, and nice bokeh.  In other words, a definite keeper.  Nice image.  Those little Chickadees are cute, but the definitely don't sit still for too long.

Absolutely - they're tiny and in constant motion, not an easy capture by any means.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads