D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
RudyPohl
RudyPohl Senior Member • Posts: 3,729
D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)
1

I went out today testing my new camera and didn't realize that I accidentally changed my settings from Fine JPEG to RAW only. Thanks to a member here I was put on to Nikon's View NX2 and was able to convert my files to JPEG's. Here's my first one.

Rudy

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andrazh
Andrazh New Member • Posts: 8
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Which lens did you use?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
RudyPohl OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,729
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Andrazh wrote:

Which lens did you use?

The lens was the Nikon 70-300mm G VR which I fine tuned to the camera.

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nfpotter
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

RudyPohl wrote:

Andrazh wrote:

Which lens did you use?

The lens was the Nikon 70-300mm G VR which I fine tuned to the camera.

Rudy

Did you use PROPER testing procedures before you fine-tuned it?

Fine tune is NOT a toy, and should not be used unless REALLY necessary.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
poidog73
poidog73 New Member • Posts: 17
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Nice shot!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
RudyPohl OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,729
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

nfpotter wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

Andrazh wrote:

Which lens did you use?

The lens was the Nikon 70-300mm G VR which I fine tuned to the camera.

Rudy

Did you use PROPER testing procedures before you fine-tuned it?

Fine tune is NOT a toy, and should not be used unless REALLY necessary.

I might not have used the correct terminology... I used the AF Fine Tune feature in the Setup Menu.... used a simple technique... shoot, adjust, observe... shoot, adjust, observe... found best focus at -4 for this lens.

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
RudyPohl OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,729
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

nfpotter wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

Andrazh wrote:

Which lens did you use?

The lens was the Nikon 70-300mm G VR which I fine tuned to the camera.

Rudy

Did you use PROPER testing procedures before you fine-tuned it?

Fine tune is NOT a toy, and should not be used unless REALLY necessary.

Upon re-reading my post, I realized that I had in fact described that incorrectly. I did not fine-tune the lens to the camera, but rather I fine-tuned the camera to the lens using AF Fine Tune feature.

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Whalligeo
Whalligeo Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

I have to say, that is one of the best natural looking shots I've seen on here. I suggest your workflow should extend to: Print>Frame>Hang-on-wall. Can I nick it for my desktop?

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nfpotter
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

RudyPohl wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

Andrazh wrote:

Which lens did you use?

The lens was the Nikon 70-300mm G VR which I fine tuned to the camera.

Rudy

Did you use PROPER testing procedures before you fine-tuned it?

Fine tune is NOT a toy, and should not be used unless REALLY necessary.

I might not have used the correct terminology... I used the AF Fine Tune feature in the Setup Menu.... used a simple technique... shoot, adjust, observe... shoot, adjust, observe... found best focus at -4 for this lens.

Rudy

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  That is NOT the correct way to use AF Fine Tune (IF it's even needed, which most of the time it is not).

You need to do CONTROLLED TESTS, not just random shooting.  Too many variables, your way.  Ask Mako (or others here) for proper procedure, I don't have time to write it out, or search for it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nfpotter
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

RudyPohl wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

Andrazh wrote:

Which lens did you use?

The lens was the Nikon 70-300mm G VR which I fine tuned to the camera.

Rudy

Did you use PROPER testing procedures before you fine-tuned it?

Fine tune is NOT a toy, and should not be used unless REALLY necessary.

Upon re-reading my post, I realized that I had in fact described that incorrectly. I did not fine-tune the lens to the camera, but rather I fine-tuned the camera to the lens using AF Fine Tune feature.

Rudy

You did it wrong.  See my post above.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
RudyPohl OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,729
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Whalligeo wrote:

I have to say, that is one of the best natural looking shots I've seen on here. I suggest your workflow should extend to: Print>Frame>Hang-on-wall. Can I nick it for my desktop?

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.

Hi Whalligeo:

Thanks so much for your very kind words! I'm brand new to DSLR wildlife photography so your encouragement is much appreciated.

And yes, if you would like to use this image for your desktop, please help yourself.

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nfpotter
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Whalligeo wrote:

I have to say, that is one of the best natural looking shots I've seen on here. I suggest your workflow should extend to: Print>Frame>Hang-on-wall. Can I nick it for my desktop?

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.

You're kidding, right?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
the Mtn Man
the Mtn Man Regular Member • Posts: 144
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

RudyPohl wrote:

I went out today testing my new camera and didn't realize that I accidentally changed my settings from Fine JPEG to RAW only. Thanks to a member here I was put on to Nikon's View NX2 and was able to convert my files to JPEG's.

So out of curiosity, why don't you shoot RAW?  Everything I've read leads me to believe that it's largely superior to JPEG and gives you a wider latitude for post-processing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Retzius
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 601
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)
1

Thats a nice image.

Have fun with your D7100.

Its refreshing to see images of real things and not brick walls, resolution charts, and focus testing lines.

 Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Senior Member • Posts: 2,692
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Nice image.

 thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 70D Sony a5000 Nikon D7200 +44 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rhlpetrus
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,444
Once you start,
1

it's hard to go back.

I still recall my excitement when I bought the D80 in mid 2007 and downloaded the CNX trial version that came with it.

Once I started paying with u-point tools I never went back to jpeg shooting. Later I learned about WB control, then HLs and LLs recovery tools became available and RAW became even more relevant.

If you test recovering shadows or HLs with jpegs and raws you will see the difference. WB, of course, is the single most important reason to shoot RAW.

Good luck! (But View NX is just a converter, no actual PPing capabilities like CNX2 or other PP softs).

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

 rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
RudyPohl OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,729
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

the Mtn Man wrote:

RudyPohl wrote:

I went out today testing my new camera and didn't realize that I accidentally changed my settings from Fine JPEG to RAW only. Thanks to a member here I was put on to Nikon's View NX2 and was able to convert my files to JPEG's.

So out of curiosity, why don't you shoot RAW?  Everything I've read leads me to believe that it's largely superior to JPEG and gives you a wider latitude for post-processing.

Hi Mtn Man:

Actually, I always do shoot and post process in RAW, never JPEG.

I'm brand new to Nikon and I didn't know that there was already free software support for the NEF files that my new D7100 produces. I do all my processing in Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Camera Raw and my software does not support NEF files.

Now that I have Nikon's View NX2, and seeing that it does such a great job, I'll be shooting all RAW from now on.

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
RudyPohl OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,729
Re: Once you start,

rhlpetrus wrote:

it's hard to go back.

I still recall my excitement when I bought the D80 in mid 2007 and downloaded the CNX trial version that came with it.

Once I started paying with u-point tools I never went back to jpeg shooting. Later I learned about WB control, then HLs and LLs recovery tools became available and RAW became even more relevant.

If you test recovering shadows or HLs with jpegs and raws you will see the difference. WB, of course, is the single most important reason to shoot RAW.

Good luck! (But View NX is just a converter, no actual PPing capabilities like CNX2 or other PP softs).

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

Hi Renato:

Yes, I am aware that View NX2 is just a converter, but it'll do just fie until Adobe's DNG Converter supports the NEF files from the D7100.

By the way, I find the RAW files from the D7100 are just fabulous. I applied ZERO sharpening, zero noise reduction, zero brightness, contrast etc, on this image, all I did was lighten the blacks on the head a little to bring out shadow detail and that's it.

Rudy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Whalligeo
Whalligeo Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

why?

-- hide signature --

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RudyPohl
RudyPohl OP Senior Member • Posts: 3,729
Re: D7100 - OK, here's my first RAW-shot image (done totally by accident)

Whalligeo wrote:

why?

-- hide signature --

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.

Why what?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads