PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,207
Like?
Re: E-M5 Lens question or two.
In reply to sigala1, Mar 27, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

I think the 12-50 has unacceptable soft edges at 12mm. Other people maybe don't have that problem.

At 14mm, the smaller, lighter and less expensive m.zuiko 14-42mm II kit lens has better image quality in my opinion.

At longer focal lengths, the 12-50 is generally as good or better than the 14-42mm II.

Perhaps the 12-50 has better wide open performance than the 14-42mm II which needs to be stopped down. Although remember that "wide open" isn't really that wide open on either of these kit lenses, but even less so on the 12-50.

I usually use the 14-42m II, because of the size/weight and I just like it better. And I have the lens hood for the 14-42mm II.

The 12-50mm is designed to look and feel like a more premium lens than the 14-42mm II, but it doesn't deliver premium image quality.

Have you actually used one? I see you shoot a PEN, don't they come with the fiddly 14-42mm?

A 12-50 came with my E-M5. I don't use it because I don't like it. For the reasons I said above.

Perhaps YOU don't have any experience with the 14-42mm II. It's certainly sharp enough to make a razor-sharp 1 MP image for web-sized viewing.

Wrong, I had one with my old PEN, didn't like the camera or the lens.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SR Works
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
In reply to Travelshooter, Mar 27, 2013

Hello,

What do folks think about the Olympus 12-60 2.8-4 lens for travel? I don't have one myself, but I'm surprised there aren't more comments regarding that lens considering its range and 2.8-4 aperture. Is there a reason this lens isn't discussed much?

Thanks!

Stuart

-- hide signature --

www.stuartruckman.com

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to SR Works, Mar 27, 2013

SR Works wrote:

Hello,

What do folks think about the Olympus 12-60 2.8-4 lens for travel? I don't have one myself, but I'm surprised there aren't more comments regarding that lens considering its range and 2.8-4 aperture. Is there a reason this lens isn't discussed much?

It's a four-thirds lens made for the DSLR system so you need an adapter to use it with a micro body, AF is very slow and (my opinion) it's way too big for the intended use by the OP.

I had a 12-60 with my Olympus DSLR system, and it was one of the first lenses I divested myself of when I decided to make micro four-thirds my one and only system.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-50: sharp enough for a 1 MP camera
In reply to sigala1, Mar 27, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

Alumna Gorp wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

I think the 12-50 has unacceptable soft edges at 12mm. Other people maybe don't have that problem.

At 14mm, the smaller, lighter and less expensive m.zuiko 14-42mm II kit lens has better image quality in my opinion.

At longer focal lengths, the 12-50 is generally as good or better than the 14-42mm II.

Perhaps the 12-50 has better wide open performance than the 14-42mm II which needs to be stopped down. Although remember that "wide open" isn't really that wide open on either of these kit lenses, but even less so on the 12-50.

I usually use the 14-42m II, because of the size/weight and I just like it better. And I have the lens hood for the 14-42mm II.

The 12-50mm is designed to look and feel like a more premium lens than the 14-42mm II, but it doesn't deliver premium image quality.

Are you using the 12-50mm ?

As your demo shows, the 12-50 is sharp enough if you only need 1 MP images for web viewing, if you get a good copy.

But for high quality 16MP images, it's another story.

I print too A4 sometimes A3, the 12-50mm has no problems I can assure you of that.

Go and check out some of the decent blogs, all images are quite drastically reduced in size, maybe we should all start saying the 14-42 images are bad as well, since these as well are reduced for web use

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,012Gear list
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Mar 27, 2013

PAUL TILL wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Have you actually used one? I see you shoot a PEN, don't they come with the fiddly 14-42mm?

Just to interject here, Paul. . .

I should learn how to read MTF charts and other aspects of lens design so I can speak of them accurately, but I haven't to date.   My touchy-feely impression of the 12-50 is that it lacks a clarity or sharpness that the 12-35 for example delivers.  Microcontrast might be term that applies (or would it be related to LPI. . . [shrug])

The 12-50 as I last recall my time with it just calls for a little stronger finessing of the output in post than it takes for the lenses they're compared against.    Not everything, or everyone, calls for that level of refinement (some pixel peepers never print, even!).  Pixel peepers call it right when they point out the difference (though Sigala is usually an opinion unto himself), but when pointed out it always puts the 12-50 in a worse light than it actually shines under.  It's rather  remarkable for a 'kit lens'.  But like any other, it's not perfect.  Oh, woe us any imperfection. . . [g]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
SR Works
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Mar 27, 2013

Thanks Gregm61!

I'm still getting my feet wet in the micro four thirds world so I appreciate the information. That's one lens I can cross off my "want" list.

Stuart

-- hide signature --

www.stuartruckman.com

Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Mar 27, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Just to interject here, Paul. . .

I should learn how to read MTF charts and other aspects of lens design so I can speak of them accurately, but I haven't to date.   My touchy-feely impression of the 12-50 is that it lacks a clarity or sharpness that the 12-35 for example delivers.  Microcontrast might be term that applies (or would it be related to LPI. . . [shrug])

The 12-50 as I last recall my time with it just calls for a little stronger finessing of the output in post than it takes for the lenses they're compared against.    Not everything, or everyone, calls for that level of refinement (some pixel peepers never print, even!).  Pixel peepers call it right when they point out the difference (though Sigala is usually an opinion unto himself), but when pointed out it always puts the 12-50 in a worse light than it actually shines under.  It's rather  remarkable for a 'kit lens'.  But like any other, it's not perfect.  Oh, woe us any imperfection. . . [g]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

The 12-50 is by no means perfect but as the kit lenses go, it really is pretty good and of course higher grade lenses like the Pany 12-35 will be better without question.

The 12-50mm bought with my OMD cost about £150 and even now this lens still surprises me with what it is capable of, provided you take care, kit lenses are less forgiving when you get things wrong.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Gregm61
Like?
In reply to SR Works, Mar 27, 2013

SR Works wrote:

Thanks Gregm61!

I'm still getting my feet wet in the micro four thirds world so I appreciate the information. That's one lens I can cross off my "want" list.

The rumor of something like a 12-40mm f2.8 M. Zuiko keeps cropping up, so it sounds like there's something out there we're going to hear about this year at some point that's somewhat similar to the 12-60 Zuiko.

Just to show the size of the lens, here's the 12-60 Zuiko, with adapter, fitted to my E-PL1 before I sold it..

-- hide signature --

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
In reply to Travelshooter, Mar 27, 2013

Can I take it that the 12-50ED with the camera is the bundle to order or am I better off with the body only and ....    what as a walk around zoom?? As a reference I find the range on my 15-85 APS-C Canon lens to be an ideal range for most purposes although a little shorter on the long end would not be a problem. That lens is a FF 24-136 equivalent vs the FF equivalent  24-100 of the 12 -50 ED.  I don't see myself using a m4/3 14-140 as a walk around as the greater the span the greater the compromises.

OK, if you're into long trips, going God-knows-where, you really ought to take advantage of the OM-D's potential weather sealing.  That was the sole reason I forked out the measly $300 for the generally OK 12-50.  On a boat, in the snow or sand, or in the rain, a weather sealed camera/lens combo is the only way to go.  I think of that 12-50 as a sort of space-saver spare tire in the trunk of my car: not great for performance, but an absolute necessity when you need it.

Unfortunately, that doesn't leave you with too many options at this time (more weather sealed m4/3 lenses are in the pipeline though).  The Panny 12-35 2.8 is a fairly nice walk around normal to wide zoom, and their 35-100 2.8 works the mid-telephoto end of things.  Their optical quality is quite good, although not breathtaking.  Their biggest drawback is that their price is awfully high for what you get.  No, it's not highway robbery, but far from the relative bargain which the Oly 12-50 is when you buy it with the camera.  But those are the sole choices at this time.

And, if you want a non-sealed zoom, you couldn't pick a better time to buy one:  Olympus is updating their 75-300 telephoto zoom, calling it the Mk II.  For $550, it's quite reasonably priced.  I wouldn't be surpised to see some radically marked down Mk I, lenses around after the Mk II hits the streets any day now.

al
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alsphotography/

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,480Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, Mar 27, 2013

Gregm61 wrote:

SR Works wrote:

Thanks Gregm61!

The rumor of something like a 12-40mm f2.8 M. Zuiko keeps cropping up, so it sounds like there's something out there we're going to hear about this year at some point that's somewhat similar to the 12-60 Zuiko.

Just to show the size of the lens, here's the 12-60 Zuiko, with adapter, fitted to my E-PL1 before I sold it..

-- hide signature --

I myself actually do not mind a M43 lens this size, provided we can get the same IQ.  I think the rumoured Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 should be smaller, and on the bigger and heavier E-M5 work better than on this, even better with an optional grip.  I hope Olympus do not compromise too much for size, like Panasonic did with its 12-35mm.  Those who do not agree can buy the 12-35mm.  I would rather have more quality.

Gregm61
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 27, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

SR Works wrote:

Thanks Gregm61!

-- hide signature --

I myself actually do not mind a M43 lens this size, provided we can get the same IQ.  I think the rumoured Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 should be smaller, and on the bigger and heavier E-M5 work better than on this, even better with an optional grip.  I hope Olympus do not compromise too much for size, like Panasonic did with its 12-35mm.  Those who do not agree can buy the 12-35mm.  I would rather have more quality.

The 12-60 was fine on the E-5 DSLR, but bigger than I would want for any Pen definitely and borderline still too big for my liking on the E-M5, even with the upper part of the grip I use. The 12-60 would create this huge lump in my current micro system bag. It's actually too big for my current bag considering the other stuff I carry and I really don't wanna go carrying large bags with weighty lenses again. That's why I am "here" now

Even if the size was "ok", the AF performance flat sucked. Worked fine as a manual focus lens, but if a manual focus lens was what I wanted, I'd just Tedolf my outfit and be done with it.

-- hide signature --

wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
In reply to Travelshooter, Mar 28, 2013

Myself, I think the 12-50 is a nice lens, nice range of focal lengths, fast autofocus, quite adequate sharpness. You can read more about it at slrgear.com for a professional reviewers opinion.

tom60634
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684Gear list
Like?
Some 35-100 f2.8 examples

Travelshooter wrote:

Anyone have anything with the new Panny 12-35 or 35-100 F2.8 lenses on an E-M5  they can post?

I hope these give you some of the information you were seelking.

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Roderic
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
Re: Travel Lenses
In reply to tom60634, Mar 28, 2013

If weather sealing is a requirement then the quite good 12-50 is a no brainer. Otherwise take the Oly 14-150, a very nice lens along with the 9-18 for wide if needed but definitely the 12f2 or 17f1.8 for low light. I have all these lenses and have never been dissapointed.

Roderic

Bob Greenberg
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Re: Travel Lenses
In reply to Roderic, Mar 28, 2013

like many others I've downsized from Canon as well, I use the Pany 14-45 and 35-100, both are extremely sharp and the 35-100 is water resistant as well.  If you travel to a rainy area I would bring the 12-50, it's a decent opion and very versatile inluding a macro setting And power zoom if you shoot video.

whatever you chose I think you'll be really pleased with your results!

-- hide signature --

Bird Nerd

Bob Greenberg's gear list:Bob Greenberg's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,399Gear list
Like?
Re: Some 35-100 f2.8 examples

That is definitely more like it!    very nice, thanks for posting them.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
Travelshooter
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Mar 28, 2013

Perhaps the problem is me...  I'm just used to top quality glass.  The images I've seen from the F2.8 35-100 make the grade.  The new 75-300 seems good enough and light enough to travel.  Now to find something for the lower part of the range is the task.

Travelshooter
Like?
digifan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,167
Like?
Re: E-M5 Lens lens or two.

Travelshooter wrote:

I'm starting to wonder about the F2.8 12-35 and 35-100 new Panny lenses.  I'm used to very high quality APS-C and Canon L lenses....

Then I's say go for it. Absolutely marvelous on on OM-D or GH3

-- hide signature --

Digifan

tom60634
Senior MemberPosts: 1,684Gear list
Like?

Travelshooter wrote:

were they shot jpeg or raw?  PP?

They were shot in raw.

They were post processed with my normal routine.

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads