E-M5 Lens question or two.

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Questions
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465Gear list
Like?
E-M5 Lens question or two.
Mar 27, 2013

Progressed from P/S to advanced compacts such as G10, G12 and then Canon FF w/ L glass, arthritis and the need for lighter, APS-C T2i w/ top glass, older and the need for lighter so I used a Canon G1X last summer on a 7 week BKK vacation.  I have used the Panny GF-1 along the way and could not warm up to the treatment of color, either in camera of via LR. Sold it and all lenses.

Miss an interchangeable lens setup and liked the idea of m4/3, just not the Panny colors. Am (strongly) considering a return to m4/3 with the E-M5.  As you can tell by my screen name I like to shoot on trips. ...  and most of the time your feet can't be the zoom.  It needs to be built into the lens.  From the talk on the board I seem to "get it" that the latest 75-300 is the long zoom to have, unless I wanted to use an adapter and my 70-300L Canon. Weight of the total package is a concern and I don't see dropping the Canon glass into a photo vest pocket.

Can I take it that the 12-50ED with the camera is the bundle to order or am I better off with the body only and ....    what as a walk around zoom?? As a reference I find the range on my 15-85 APS-C Canon lens to be an ideal range for most purposes although a little shorter on the long end would not be a problem. That lens is a FF 24-136 equivalent vs the FF equivalent  24-100 of the 12 -50 ED.  I don't see myself using a m4/3 14-140 as a walk around as the greater the span the greater the compromises.

I realize the jpegs from this cam are supposed to be special however I see myself continuing to shoot RAW and process in LR 4.3 with the NIK full package as externals when needed. I use B+W UV-Haze MC brass ring on all my glass if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for the input.....

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 Lens question or two.
In reply to Travelshooter, Mar 27, 2013

The 12-50 is a nice lens, very good for travelling, but not quite as sharp as your EFS 15-85. But you won't notice that unless you make very big prints.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,968Gear list
Like?

To be honest, the 14-150mm M. Zuiko I am now using as my normal zoom is better than either of the two 12-50 Zuikos I have tried with my E-M5. I'm also carrying the 9-18 M. Zuiko for really wide stuff and the 75-300 for the longer reach.

The 14-150 is pretty darn compact when set to 14mm. I have not yet stood it up at that setting alongside the 12-50 to just compare, but I can tell there's not much of a difference until, obviously, you start zooming the 14-150, but the extra reach is nice. The 14-150 has slightly more heft to it and is slicker-feeling in use, especially if you initiate the grinding, manual zoom of the 12-50.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?

Travelshooter wrote:

Progressed from P/S to advanced compacts such as G10, G12 and then Canon FF w/ L glass, arthritis and the need for lighter, APS-C T2i w/ top glass, older and the need for lighter so I used a Canon G1X last summer on a 7 week BKK vacation.  I have used the Panny GF-1 along the way and could not warm up to the treatment of color, either in camera of via LR. Sold it and all lenses.

Miss an interchangeable lens setup and liked the idea of m4/3, just not the Panny colors. Am (strongly) considering a return to m4/3 with the E-M5.  As you can tell by my screen name I like to shoot on trips. ...  and most of the time your feet can't be the zoom.  It needs to be built into the lens.  From the talk on the board I seem to "get it" that the latest 75-300 is the long zoom to have, unless I wanted to use an adapter and my 70-300L Canon. Weight of the total package is a concern and I don't see dropping the Canon glass into a photo vest pocket.

Can I take it that the 12-50ED with the camera is the bundle to order or am I better off with the body only and ....    what as a walk around zoom?? As a reference I find the range on my 15-85 APS-C Canon lens to be an ideal range for most purposes although a little shorter on the long end would not be a problem. That lens is a FF 24-136 equivalent vs the FF equivalent  24-100 of the 12 -50 ED.  I don't see myself using a m4/3 14-140 as a walk around as the greater the span the greater the compromises.

I realize the jpegs from this cam are supposed to be special however I see myself continuing to shoot RAW and process in LR 4.3 with the NIK full package as externals when needed. I use B+W UV-Haze MC brass ring on all my glass if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for the input.....

Its a no brainer, get the OMD with the 12-50mm kit lens, its a superb travel lens and a bit of a swiss army knife as features go.

OMD + 12-50mm

OMD + 12-50mm

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?

You aren't likely to get any kind of consensus on lenses here, but FWIW here are my thoughts:

12-50(Oly) is a very convenient lens because of the range, macro, weather sealing and fast focus.  I like it because it has color that is reminiscent of the 12-60.  It isn't the sharpest lens for m4/3, but I generally only notice that on overcast low contrast days.

14-45 (Panny) is a sharper lens than the 12-50.  It is a very nice lens and cheap, doesn't have the convenience or color of the 12-50, but it is definitely sharper.

14-42 (Panny or Oly) I haven't used the latest versions but have read they aren't as sharp as the 14-45, FWIW.

40-150 (Oly) a tiny and cheap zoom (can get on sale for $99) that is surprisingly good, especially for the money.  It isn't a fast aperture lens but is good for travel considering the size and weight.

12-35 (Panasonic) I don't have this but it is faster zoom with good optics and also expensive.  I'm waiting to see what Olympus provides with rumored 12-40 coming this year.

75-300 (Oly) I have this lens and use it almost daily.  The optics are very good, although it does lose a bit between 250-300mm (but still good even then).  It focuses fast and works well handheld, not so good on a tripod because there is no tripod collar mount ring. It is larger than other m4/3 lenses, so if you want a couple of tiny lenses to fit in travel bag, get the 40-150 instead.  While we all want a small cheap fast aperture long zoom with amazing optics, this one is realistically a good balance of optics, price, size and weight.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,217
Like?

I'm starting to like the 12-50 kit lens, its only downside is the horrendous feeling when using the manual zoom, I just leave it on the power zoom, which believe it or not is very good.

Here's a few from it, if anyone tells you it isn't sharp they're lying.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Travelshooter
Like?
In reply to Pikme, Mar 27, 2013

I'm starting to wonder about the F2.8 12-35 and 35-100 new Panny lenses.  I'm used to very high quality APS-C and Canon L lenses....

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
Those photos don't demonstrate anything
In reply to PAUL TILL, Mar 27, 2013

Resized to such small dimensions, even a relatively soft lens can appear sharp.

sigala1
Like?

I think the 12-50 has unacceptable soft edges at 12mm. Other people maybe don't have that problem.

At 14mm, the smaller, lighter and less expensive m.zuiko 14-42mm II kit lens has better image quality in my opinion.

At longer focal lengths, the 12-50 is generally as good or better than the 14-42mm II.

Perhaps the 12-50 has better wide open performance than the 14-42mm II which needs to be stopped down. Although remember that "wide open" isn't really that wide open on either of these kit lenses, but even less so on the 12-50.

I usually use the 14-42m II, because of the size/weight and I just like it better. And I have the lens hood for the 14-42mm II.

The 12-50mm is designed to look and feel like a more premium lens than the 14-42mm II, but it doesn't deliver premium image quality.

Alumna Gorp
Like?
In reply to sigala1, Mar 27, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

I think the 12-50 has unacceptable soft edges at 12mm. Other people maybe don't have that problem.

At 14mm, the smaller, lighter and less expensive m.zuiko 14-42mm II kit lens has better image quality in my opinion.

At longer focal lengths, the 12-50 is generally as good or better than the 14-42mm II.

Perhaps the 12-50 has better wide open performance than the 14-42mm II which needs to be stopped down. Although remember that "wide open" isn't really that wide open on either of these kit lenses, but even less so on the 12-50.

I usually use the 14-42m II, because of the size/weight and I just like it better. And I have the lens hood for the 14-42mm II.

The 12-50mm is designed to look and feel like a more premium lens than the 14-42mm II, but it doesn't deliver premium image quality.

Are you using the 12-50mm ?

OMD + 12-50mm, wide open at 12mm end

Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Travelshooter
Like?

They look real good for a kit lens but I was thinking sharp more in terms of

Canon 70-300 L on T2i

or

T2i w 15-85

Thanks for posting those.

PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to sigala1, Mar 27, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

Have you actually used one? I see you shoot a PEN, don't they come with the fiddly 14-42mm?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Mar 27, 2013

Alumna Gorp wrote:

Beat me too it.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

PAUL TILL
Like?

Travelshooter wrote:

They look real good for a kit lens but...

When I get to see the sun I'm sure it will do better, I haven't had a day worth shooting on since I got my OM-D.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Travelshooter
Like?

Anyone have anything with the new Panny 12-35 or 35-100 F2.8 lenses on an E-M5  they can post?

Alumna Gorp
Like?

Travelshooter wrote:

They look real good for a kit lens but I was thinking sharp more in terms of

Canon 70-300 L on T2i

or

T2i w 15-85

Thanks for posting those.

I have never come across a poor m4/3 kit lens, we really are quite spoiled. If you have the money the higher grade Pany zooms like the 12-35 or 35-100mm will have the edge for sure.

The 12-35 f2.8 is pretty much on par with Canon`s 24-70 f2.8. the 35-100 is pretty much on par with Canons 70-200 f2.8, and each of these Pany lenses work out a good 30% cheaper and there both smaller and lighter.

Wide open the 12-50mm is very similar to the Pany 14mm with both wide open, I recently picked up GF2 + 14mm lens kit because it worked out cheaper than buying the lens on its own.

I`ve not given it much of a bashing as yet, all I have is a snap of the cat

!4mm wide open

Travelshooter
Like?

Thanks for posting the cat picture.  Hard to tell on a small image.

When I bought my T2i the first thing I did was sell the kit lens, still wrapped, to help pay part of the 15-85.  I see the 10-22, 15-85 and 70-300L as permanent APS-C lenses although the body may change when Canon makes the next jump in sensor performance and software.  The downside is that setup is probably going to be domestic only now ..  although an adaptor and the 70-300 L is not out of the question, it is truly superb.

If I take this jump I may do the same thing but certainly need to investigate IQ for the two Panny lenses ..  the F2.8 14-35 and 35-100.  On an E-M5 the weight of camera + lens is still reasonable.

Alumna Gorp
Like?

Travelshooter wrote:

Thanks for posting the cat picture.  Hard to tell on a small image.

When I bought my T2i the first thing I did was sell the kit lens, still wrapped, to help pay part of the 15-85.  I see the 10-22, 15-85 and 70-300L as permanent APS-C lenses although the body may change when Canon makes the next jump in sensor performance and software.  The downside is that setup is probably going to be domestic only now ..  although an adaptor and the 70-300 L is not out of the question, it is truly superb.

If I take this jump I may do the same thing but certainly need to investigate IQ for the two Panny lenses ..  the F2.8 14-35 and 35-100.  On an E-M5 the weight of camera + lens is still reasonable.

Its really with the primes were M4/3 really come into there own, Olympus really pushed the boat out with the 12, 17, 45 and 75 these are some of the best primes made by any manufacturer quite possibly ever, the Pany primes are good as well.

sigala1
Like?
12-50: sharp enough for a 1 MP camera

Alumna Gorp wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

As your demo shows, the 12-50 is sharp enough if you only need 1 MP images for web viewing, if you get a good copy.

But for high quality 16MP images, it's another story.

sigala1
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Have you actually used one? I see you shoot a PEN, don't they come with the fiddly 14-42mm?

A 12-50 came with my E-M5. I don't use it because I don't like it. For the reasons I said above.

Perhaps YOU don't have any experience with the 14-42mm II. It's certainly sharp enough to make a razor-sharp 1 MP image for web-sized viewing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads