HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I missing something in the translation here?
In reply to Nightwings, Mar 31, 2013

wow, was any kind of post processing or stacking done on these?  I assume the second image uses digital zoom?

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus E-520
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,329Gear list
Like?

Nightwings wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

> Kim Letkeman whined:

A note on the whole L versus M debate. Don’t be fooled by the forceful opinions you see where L “crushes” M and blurry images are posted to prove it. These images are invariably poorly shot, with no attempt to sharpen up the M size image after upsizing (showing a profound lack of skills and understanding of what interpolation does to an image) and with little attention to surfaces, dark subject, and very fine details.

> Blurry buildings do not an argument make, except on the Internet. So please just examine these closely. I shoot M size exclusively, and nothing I have seen from the HS50 has changed my mind, except perhaps when shooting with factory settings. Then maybe it does not matter because I think there is a bug in the firmware. But if you drop noise reduction to –2, and shoot every else at 0, then M mode seems to shoot very nicely.

Lol. 1/900s shot of a building blurry? I wasted time looking at your samples but it clearly showed L size has more details on the note and sharper too? Again who will believe in your lousy comparison? You cannot magically produce a detail that is not there.

Just for goodness sake, stop with your delusional claim. You've ridiculed yourself once again. LSize is sharper and has more detail than upsized M size.

-=[ Joms ]=-

What are you guys arguing about?

He is daydreaming that upsampled Msize to 16MP will trounce LSize.

Clearly the right sided samples are yielding more detail... and depending on what part of the image ... A LOT more detail.... albeit with a bit more noise, but topaz denoise would clean that up nicely, and still retain the detail.

Of course LSize is better.

Or am I missing another point in this discussion that I'm not aware of?

Nope you pretty much got the point and only Kim is the one delusional that MSize is better and is the only way that EXR camera should be used.

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Nightwings
Forum ProPosts: 10,352
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 31, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

wow, was any kind of post processing or stacking done on these?  I assume the second image uses digital zoom?

-- hide signature --

Topaz denoise and cropping......no digital zoom....... stacking requires work..... I don't work.

-- hide signature --

alexisgreat
Like?

so the second one is a pixel for pixel image with the outer part of the image removed? Nice! You can even see the atmospheric bands.

-- hide signature --

Nightwings
Like?

alexisgreat wrote:

so the second one is a pixel for pixel image with the outer part of the image removed? Nice! You can even see the atmospheric bands.

-- hide signature --

No..they are both crops..... one's cropped bigger than the other. Both shots are unique... i.e. separate shots

-- hide signature --

alexisgreat
Like?

what does it look like at 100 percent size with the background black removed NW? I'm trying to ascertain image scale.

-- hide signature --

Nando Kenobi
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 31, 2013

A new set of videos:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45qXiLGALhc (A short review, I don't understand the language but they show some nice pictures)

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSkiF6TVrk (pic/movie test)

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzUDhpcXyE (Some ISO test)

4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0piiqth8jhU (showing the camera itself)

5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8H-T9qN2Kk (Highspeed video)

-- hide signature --

english:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qld5KR3JDZQ (unboxing + first look)

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIqzgv7WHGI (Sample HD Video)

Regards

Nightwings
Like?

alexisgreat wrote:

what does it look like at 100 percent size with the background black removed NW? I'm trying to ascertain image scale.

-- hide signature --

I will try to find.... and post the original image.

-- hide signature --

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,051
Like?

Nightwings wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

-- hide signature --

Topaz denoise and cropping......no digital zoom....... stacking requires work..... I don't work.

-- hide signature --

My kinda guy...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
12mp vs. 6mp in DPR's X10 review
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 31, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

Nightwings wrote:

Clearly the right sided samples are yielding more detail... and depending on what part of the image ... A LOT more detail.... albeit with a bit more noise, but topaz denoise would clean that up nicely, and still retain the detail.

L and M size (12mp and 6mp) resolution test chart shots are available for download in DPR's X10 review. Took a look at the JPEGs (the RAWs aren't good), and to my eyes L size wins clearly.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10/13

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?

jcmarfilph wrote:

Nope you pretty much got the point and only Kim is the one delusional that MSize is better and is the only way that EXR camera should be used.

He's not the only one, I will only shoot at M size with an EXR camera, but I wouldn't up size a 6MP image to 12MP size. If I need larger images I use a better camera.

Now Joms, you do exactly the opposite, you shoot at L size and down size. Admittedly this give the impression that the L size image is sharper but once the M size image has been sharpened it always wins.

You're never going to win this argument as you seem to like shooting with the worse performing EXR cameras, the HS series look crap at both sizes to start with.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Steen Bay
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Mar 31, 2013

PAUL TILL wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

He's not the only one, I will only shoot at M size with an EXR camera, but I wouldn't up size a 6MP image to 12MP size. If I need larger images I use a better camera.

Now Joms, you do exactly the opposite, you shoot at L size and down size. Admittedly this give the impression that the L size image is sharper but once the M size image has been sharpened it always wins.

You're never going to win this argument as you seem to like shooting with the worse performing EXR cameras, the HS series look crap at both sizes to start with.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Your X-S1 has the same sensor as X10, and comparing L vs. M size in DPR's X10 review shows that L size has a considerably higher resolution (see my post right above) Why not take advantage of that?

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
In reply to Steen Bay, Mar 31, 2013

Does it?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,329Gear list
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Mar 31, 2013

PAUL TILL wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Then he is the only one. I shoot Msize if I don't need highres and want to save space of my HDD.

Nope, you are blind then. See the comparison above. Msize lacks detail and sharpness when upsized.

Lol. It doesn't matter if I will use HS or X-S1. I will not cripple my camera to half resolution.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 12,499
Like?

Steen Bay wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Your X-S1 has the same sensor as X10, and comparing L vs. M size in DPR's X10 review shows that L size has a considerably higher resolution (see my post right above) Why not take advantage of that?

Can you really compare images between those two cameras when the X10 has a better lens?

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Buhl213
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?

Steen Bay wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Because the resolution charts are high-contrast, two-colour (and even worse; the two colours used are black and white, always utilizing all of the RGGB-sensors regardless of the light).

Steen Bay
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Mar 31, 2013

Midwest wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Can you really compare images between those two cameras when the X10 has a better lens?

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Yes, it's quite likely that a 4x zoom (X10) is sharper than a 26x zoom (X-S1), but on the other hand, then the 42x zoom on HS50 seems to be good enough to show a clear difference between L and M size (and Paul was talking about EXR cameras in general, not just the X-S1).

Also possible that there often won't be much difference in detail/resolution between L and M size in real world shooting (due to focus errors, shake/blur, etc.), but think that's the case with all high resolution cameras, like e.g. E-M5 and 5D3. Despite that, then people are (most often) shooting at full resolution.

Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,853
Like?

alexisgreat wrote:

-- hide signature --

The P510 is a beast.  I used one last September, loved it, and just re-bought.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,927Gear list
Like?
enough

jcmarfilph wrote:

He is daydreaming that upsampled Msize to 16MP will trounce LSize.

There is no new detail there at base ISO in my image. Just a sharpness / acuity difference and it is very slight when you consider it is the equivalent of looking at a 46" print close up.

Your building example is so wildly different (but still only in sharpening from what I can tell from your low quality examples) that it likely was shot at defaults, which are broken.

The bottom line is:

• Factory settings 0,0,0,0 are broken for M size shooting. Never do that.
  • Upsizing is a skill that Joms does not have.
  • Using your hacks of my work to justify your childish rant is absurd. I don;t know what NW was thinking.

So I would appreciate it you and everyone else would stop wasting your time and my time by trying to assert that L is better than M based on one or another limited crop that mainly shows slight sharpness / contrast differences. Or in your case is a simple disaster of bad shooting.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589Gear list
Like?
Re: enough
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 31, 2013

I know a lot of people like me, who appreciate your review!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads