HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,136Gear list
Like?
Re: part 10 -- HS50 and F900 default settings comparison
In reply to alexisgreat, Apr 1, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

will also love to see the NR -2 HS50 vs F900/F770 comparison at higher ISO when you have a chance.  Thanks Kim!

I think I tested them against each other did I not? The NR-2 to NR0 different in decent light is almost non-existent.

I would like to repeat the "bad light" test, though, as I think that one went very badly for the HS50. Too much NR there. Maybe that's the one you meant ...

I take it you wont be doing the long exposure starry field test though?  30 sec at ISO 100 is still the limit for the HS series I think.

Clouded over just before I walked outside last night to try it out ... was perfectly clear about half an hour before. So now we wait for sunny skies again ... prediction says a few days. Remind me next week.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,136Gear list
Like?
part 11 -- the ultimate sharpness and noise reduction bracketing test ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Apr 1, 2013
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,300Gear list
Like?
Re: part 10 -- HS50 and F900 default settings comparison

yep that's the test I meant, thanks Kim

Looks like the weather will be nice tomorrow, hopefully you can do it tomorrow night.  Expecting rain by the end of the week, so the best window would be early to mid week.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,300Gear list
Like?
Re: part 11 -- the ultimate sharpness and noise reduction bracketing test ...

Nice and very detailed- this lens looks to resolve better than the HS20/30 lens!

I forgot to ask you about the flash- do you remember when Michy said that the flash was overpowered and did not properly account for exposure? Were you able to confirm that, Kim? I expect he had a bad sample.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Apr 1, 2013

I've been having some weirdness with the flash still, but i've discovered awb is not always recognising number 3 flourescent lights properly. Good thing i can set it myself, but i went my daughters ballet recital the other night, and we had two different coloured temp for flourescent, one set of halogen, incandescent at one end, and a massive picture window with cool evening light. The camera really keeled over at that one! I had to turn the flash up, and use the custom white balance to 'tune' things. I'm never trying that again!

The flash still was underpowered at 8 feet away. It works fine in total darkness, but some lights seem to fool it badly. Not sure what's going on there. I've got a couple of slave flashes coming next week, so i'll be able to play around a bit better.

Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?
Re: part 2
In reply to jcmarfilph, Apr 1, 2013

BiCubic upsizing? How is that not comparing faux pixels to real ones? Why not take a 100% crop of each image and compare those??

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
MarvinErich
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Apr 2, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/04/hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-11.html

Beautiful and crisp images from the HS50  ...

-- hide signature --

Good Job!

To me seems that Sharpness High and NR Low did a great job. I will wait to do my test with Sharpness High and NR high too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads