HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,787Gear list
Like?
Re: part 4 ...
In reply to KJaay, Mar 28, 2013

KJaay wrote:

Kim could it be that the HS50 is applying way more NR!

In this case, it is obvious that the defaults are not very kind in low(ish) light ...

Something is amiss in this JPEG engine I think .... but hopefully after enough testing we can characterize it a bit better.

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751Gear list
Like?
Re: But Kim.....
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 28, 2013

Kim it would be really interesting to see all the Fuji cams with NR and Sharpening turned all the way down to see if the HS50 is still too liberal with these settings.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,787Gear list
Like?
Re: But Kim.....
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 28, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

Kim it would be really interesting to see all the Fuji cams with NR and Sharpening turned all the way down to see if the HS50 is still too liberal with these settings.

The compacts have no ability to changes these settings ... so the only cam I have here with this ability is the HS50 ....

I've shot a series already for publication tonight (assuming I am not working overtime as is the norm these days) ...

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751Gear list
Like?
Re: But Kim.....
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 28, 2013

Thanks, Kim, from what you remember of the HS25 (did you do the same kind of ISO ladder with that cam?) was NR much less harsh and the colors more balanced and saturated with that camera at higher ISO?

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,694Gear list
Like?
Re: Extreme zoom lenses
In reply to Me Tarzan, Mar 28, 2013

Me Tarzan wrote:

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

 

HS20, EXR DR 4:3 @ ISO 100

HS20 @ ISO 400 m 3:4 - 43mm EFL @ f5.0

 
 
 
Beautiful shots.
-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

Thankyou.

I was really looking forward to the HS50 being my HS20 replacement, now I'm not convinced.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

 Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Extreme zoom lenses
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Mar 29, 2013

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

Me Tarzan wrote:

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

 


HS20, EXR DR 4:3 @ ISO 100


HS20 @ ISO 400 m 3:4 - 43mm EFL @ f5.0

 
 
 
Beautiful shots.
-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

Thankyou.

I was really looking forward to the HS50 being my HS20 replacement, now I'm not convinced.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

How could you decide just like that? Based on a single lousy comparison? I will post my ISO ladder test later. And your samples are fine but not great Ralph. Detail-wise it is not close enough to what I have posted from HS30. But honestly a shocking truth is that HS50 is now a step behind in macro. The usual 150mm-3 inches away trick to get thr.maximum magnification no longer works.

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751Gear list
Like?
Re: Extreme zoom lenses
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 29, 2013

Joms, I thought the HS20/30 basically had the same image quality- same sensor, same lens (yeah Fuji purported some improvements- but these were never realized in any reviews, outside of a slight focusing improvement.)

Unless you have both cameras and are taking pics of the same thing seconds apart with the exact same settings and PP, there's really no way to tell anyway lol.

Regarding the HS50-

what we dont have as good a macro mode now? maybe a consequence of the new lens?

what about super macro?

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Extreme zoom lenses
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 29, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

Joms, I thought the HS20/30 basically had the same image quality- same sensor, same lens (yeah Fuji purported some improvements- but these were never realized in any reviews, outside of a slight focusing improvement.)

Yes same except that HS30 is a tiny weene better on ISO3200 and above.

Unless you have both cameras and are taking pics of the same thing seconds apart with the exact same settings and PP, there's really no way to tell anyway lol.

I was commenting on the picture not on the camera.

Regarding the HS50-

what we dont have as good a macro mode now? maybe a consequence of the new lens?

No more super duper tele-macro magic

what about super macro?

It is still there but you have to stick the lens to the face of the insect lol.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751Gear list
Like?
Re: Extreme zoom lenses
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 29, 2013

I love everything about the 50 except this macro set back- maybe we can fix that with a good closeup lens? I have a whole bunch of Raynox gear that may fix this macro issue (hopefully.)

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Extreme zoom lenses
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 29, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

I love everything about the 50 except this macro set back- maybe we can fix that with a good closeup lens? I have a whole bunch of Raynox gear that may fix this macro issue (hopefully.)

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

Somebody from heaven sent me a good close-up lens so I will give it a shot versus HS50 maximum macro setting.

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

 jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,875
Like?
Re: Extreme zoom lenses
In reply to Me Tarzan, Mar 29, 2013

Me Tarzan wrote:

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

 

HS20, EXR DR 4:3 @ ISO 100

HS20 @ ISO 400 m 3:4 - 43mm EFL @ f5.0

 
 
 
Beautiful shots.

+ 1

-- hide signature --

Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,787Gear list
Like?
Part 5 -- Macro
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 29, 2013

Yes, I took Jom's complaints and decided to try out some macro action myself.

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/03/hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-5-macro.html

In the article, I describe how it performs with and without an achromat to help ...

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danny_only
Forum ProPosts: 11,115Gear list
Like?
Re: part 4 ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 29, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

The debate rages on the HS50 etc ... so I bring this all back to reality by showing web sized images of the same 3200 ISO files. Things are far less dire than the ISO ladder makes them appear ...

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/03/hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-4.html

-- hide signature --

Hi Kim,

Nice job.

How does F900exr compares with F300exr? I guess it is a much better camera.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Danny
'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p
Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/994AB6F626554A6BB0A3BD05309E0000.jpg
Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

 danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,787Gear list
Like?
Re: part 4 ...
In reply to danny_only, Mar 29, 2013

danny_only wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

The debate rages on the HS50 etc ... so I bring this all back to reality by showing web sized images of the same 3200 ISO files. Things are far less dire than the ISO ladder makes them appear ...

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/03/hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-4.html

-- hide signature --

Hi Kim,

Nice job.

How does F900exr compares with F300exr? I guess it is a much better camera.

The F300 is a nice JPEG camera with excellent white balance. But when the F550 came out, the F300 was stomped. And the F7xx and F800 were better than that. The F900 raises the bar yet again from what I can tell.

I gave the F300 to a friend's daughter for a long trip and she is quite happy with it. But an enthusiast is likely to feel its limitations if low light is interesting at all. For a daylight shooter, the F300 remains one of the nicer of that series I think.

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lee37
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: Part 5 -- Macro
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 29, 2013

Keep up the good work.  Thanks

 Lee37's gear list:Lee37's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danny_only
Forum ProPosts: 11,115Gear list
Like?
Re: part 4 ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 29, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

danny_only wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

The debate rages on the HS50 etc ... so I bring this all back to reality by showing web sized images of the same 3200 ISO files. Things are far less dire than the ISO ladder makes them appear ...

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/03/hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-4.html

-- hide signature --

Hi Kim,

Nice job.

How does F900exr compares with F300exr? I guess it is a much better camera.

The F300 is a nice JPEG camera with excellent white balance. But when the F550 came out, the F300 was stomped. And the F7xx and F800 were better than that. The F900 raises the bar yet again from what I can tell.

I gave the F300 to a friend's daughter for a long trip and she is quite happy with it. But an enthusiast is likely to feel its limitations if low light is interesting at all. For a daylight shooter, the F300 remains one of the nicer of that series I think.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the useful opinions.

My son is using the F300, happy with it.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Danny
'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p
Fujifilm Alternate Low Light Solution'
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/994AB6F626554A6BB0A3BD05309E0000.jpg
Other Pics
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/

 danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751Gear list
Like?
Re: Part 5 -- Macro
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 29, 2013

I like it! Especially with the Canon close up kit!  One correction you might like to make- according to Joms the macro ideal spot for previous HS series cams was 150mm at 3 inches for the HS50 it is 200mm at 12 inches..... one thing I want to know is this the distance from the surface of the lens to the subject or from the sensor to the subject? 3 inches still sounds a bit too close for me if it is from the sensor to the subject (lens shadowing and scaring away the subject.)

Kim is your high ISO low NR soft Sharpening test next?

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,787Gear list
Like?
Re: Part 5 -- Macro
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 29, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

I like it! Especially with the Canon close up kit!  One correction you might like to make- according to Joms the macro ideal spot for previous HS series cams was 150mm at 3 inches for the HS50 it is 200mm at 12 inches..... one thing I want to know is this the distance from the surface of the lens to the subject or from the sensor to the subject? 3 inches still sounds a bit too close for me if it is from the sensor to the subject (lens shadowing and scaring away the subject.)

Kim is your high ISO low NR soft Sharpening test next?

I want to do the settings ladder LvsM next ... I shot a test target but it really does not exhibit the strange behavior I saw the other day. So I need to reshoot.

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751Gear list
Like?
Re: Part 5 -- Macro
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for all this extensive testing, Kim! One thing I wanted to ask about the macro capabilities of this camera (unaided with closeup lens) was how does it compare to previous macro kings like the Nikon Coolpix 4500 and the Olympus C-7070? The former had a coverage area of 17mm along the smaller dimension and the latter's was 21mm........ I'm not taking into account sensor size (both were 1/1.7" format though, 4mp and 7mp) and an important feature was that there was very little distortion with either in macro/super macro mode because they both macro-ed/super macro-ed at the mid zoom position. I have to say that the C-7070 was much easier to focus though!  I wonder how they would compare with HS series cameras (150mm at 3 inches or 200mm at 12 inches) in macro mode.....those cameras did well at 2cm (0.7 inches) at their mid zoom positions (95mm with the Nikon and 68mm with the Oly.)

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

 alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,787Gear list
Like?
Re: Part 5 -- Macro
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 30, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

Thanks for all this extensive testing, Kim! One thing I wanted to ask about the macro capabilities of this camera (unaided with closeup lens) was how does it compare to previous macro kings like the Nikon Coolpix 4500 and the Olympus C-7070?

So how exactly would I answer that?

The former had a coverage area of 17mm along the smaller dimension and the latter's was 21mm........ I'm not taking into account sensor size (both were 1/1.7" format though, 4mp and 7mp) and an important feature was that there was very little distortion with either in macro/super macro mode because they both macro-ed/super macro-ed at the mid zoom position. I have to say that the C-7070 was much easier to focus though!  I wonder how they would compare with HS series cameras (150mm at 3 inches or 200mm at 12 inches) in macro mode.....those cameras did well at 2cm (0.7 inches) at their mid zoom positions (95mm with the Nikon and 68mm with the Oly.)

I don't have any idea.

I do own an old Nikon 990, and it got nice and close for macro. But that generation of camera has ultra slow operation and mediocre JPEG engines with plenty of edge artifacts etc. So I don;t see it as all that relevant anyway ...

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads