HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,098Gear list
Like?
HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...
Mar 27, 2013

And we're off ...

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/03/fuji-hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-1.html

I think I will enjoy these two very much. Just charging up the HS50EXR battery and will get going on them this evening.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,172Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 27, 2013

Cant wait, Kim! Do some moon shots tonight with these cams if you can, the moon is just past full

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MitchyK7
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 27, 2013

Look forward to reading your thoughts when you've worked with them. I also second alex's request for moon shots. We've had cloud cover here constantly since i got my camera 3 weeks ago.

nicknd99
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?
In reply to MitchyK7, Mar 27, 2013

Exciting stuff!  I'm also looking foward to your X20 review should you decide to do that one as well 

nicknd99's gear list:nicknd99's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,287Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 27, 2013

This is going to be fun!

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
alexisgreat
Like?
Re: new telescope curse becomes new camera curse :-(
In reply to nicknd99, Mar 27, 2013

with all these cloudy skies Michy did you have a chance to do a high ISO or DR comparison between the 20 and the 50 and the IR test to see which one can do IR at a faster shutter speed? Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +1 more
KimberlyC
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Mar 28, 2013

I have some interest in the F900 so I will be waiting!  

KimberlyC's gear list:KimberlyC's gear list
Samsung EX2F Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Samsung NX210 +7 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
part 2

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/03/hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-2.html

I looked at details and L versus M. The HS50 is not impressing so far. Pretty weak in the acuity area. I am starting to understand why I have not seen much from this camera so far. Everything is soft because, well, everything is soft

The F900, on the other hand ... wow ...

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Such an awful comparison...

Kim Letkeman wrote:

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/03/hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-2.html

I looked at details and L versus M. The HS50 is not impressing so far. Pretty weak in the acuity area. I am starting to understand why I have not seen much from this camera so far. Everything is soft because, well, everything is soft

The F900, on the other hand ... wow ...

-- hide signature --

Both should be shot at same aperture, same shutter speed, same focal length, same ISO, same NR and same sharpness. Only differences are DR100 and DR400 and Image size.

Upsize M Size to LSize and view side by side. No tweaking on MSize.

And please choose a more meaningful subject like landscape with distant subject like trees and birds.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
alexisgreat
Like?
Re: part 2

Kim, so you think the F990 steals the show, even when both are M size DR 400? You know what this means right- that new super duper zoom lens on the HS50 may have exceeded its reach going for 42x..... I guess time will tell with further testing.

-- hide signature --

Me Tarzan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,392Gear list
Like?

Lots of great information and controlled images [use of tripod, etc] to back up your findings. I laughed outloud over your "galactic range" comment.

I'll be passing on the HS50 as I own its forefathers but I'll still follow these threads. It doesn't seem like the 50 made a giant leap away from the 30. I also find some of the images [posted here] holding significant contrast so they look like they've been overprocessed. Who knows, maybe they have been but I think it is due to the camera rather than pp.

-- hide signature --

Say Cheese!
Frank

jcmarfilph
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 28, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

Kim, so you think the F990 steals the show, even when both are M size DR 400? You know what this means right- that new super duper zoom lens on the HS50 may have exceeded its reach going for 42x..... I guess time will tell with further testing.

-- hide signature --

Hey Alex,

MSize vs LSize.

Take note that I did not do anything especial here but just BiCubic upsizing of Msize.

Lemme know how many stupid peeps will tell than MSize is better than LSize lol.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Kim Letkeman
Like?

alexisgreat wrote:

Kim, so you think the F990 steals the show, even when both are M size DR 400?

I thought I mentioned in there that it was shot at DR100 ...

You know what this means right- that new super duper zoom lens on the HS50 may have exceeded its reach going for 42x..... I guess time will tell with further testing.

I am worried that it might have gone a little far

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 28, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hey Alex,

MSize vs LSize.

Take note that I did not do anything especial here but just BiCubic upsizing of Msize.

Since you mentioned stupid ...

• The anti-alias filter on an EXR sensor has to be tuned for either M size or L size. It cannot be appropriate for both. Also, the JPEG engine will be tuned to compensate, and it is quite clear with the HS50 files that they sharpen L size more. Sharpening M size equalizes the apparent acuity.
  • All that said, what you are bleating about so constantly is merely a difference in sharpness of a JPEG output. It is not "detail", which is blindingly obvious when you look at crops that actually have some details in them.
  • Incredibly, even after being told for weeks now, you still use inappropriate examples to demonstrate what you think is a difference in detail (but is actually just a difference in sharpening.)

So it is clear now that you have again described yourself.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
you might want to ...

... read up a bit on detail versus acuity (not the same thing) versus "digital sharpening" (also not the same thing) ... and if providence smiles on you, perhaps it will eventually come to you what people are trying to tell you.

I personally will not hold my breath on that one ...

jcmarfilph
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hey Alex,

MSize vs LSize.

Since you mentioned stupid ...

• The anti-alias filter on an EXR sensor has to be tuned for either M size or L size. It cannot be appropriate for both. Also, the JPEG engine will be tuned to compensate, and it is quite clear with the HS50 files that they sharpen L size more. Sharpening M size equalizes the apparent acuity.
  • All that said, what you are bleating about so constantly is merely a difference in sharpness of a JPEG output. It is not "detail", which is blindingly obvious when you look at crops that actually have some details in them.
  • Incredibly, even after being told for weeks now, you still use inappropriate examples to demonstrate what you think is a difference in detail (but is actually just a difference in sharpening.)

So it is clear now that you have again described yourself.

-- hide signature --

Stupid count: 1

Details on LSize are all over the place. Look closer. Remove your goggles.

Here is the DPR version...

-=[ Joms ]=-

alexisgreat
Like?

I have to say I like the image on the right, not sure if it's just down to sharpening or resolution or both lol.

-- hide signature --

alexisgreat
Like?

Kim, I figured as much about the 42x lens, but what I was actually trying to ask you was do you think that someone who has the HS20/25/30 would be better off using a tc like the Nikon TC-15ED rather than upgrading to the HS-50? Im speaking specifically in terms of image quality, ignoring the PDAF aspect of the new camera.  Then we also have the issue of BSI and how the new camera performs compared to the old at higher ISO (something you will settle soon enough, no doubt.)

-- hide signature --

jcmarfilph
Like?

alexisgreat wrote:

I have to say I like the image on the right, not sure if it's just down to sharpening or resolution or both lol.

-- hide signature --

Upsampled MSize loses sharpness and detail. No sharpening was applied to both.

-=[ Joms ]=-

alexisgreat
Like?
Re: resolving power of lens?

Looks like Kim says that the new camera handles L size better than previous HS series cams from what I'm reading in his review.  Maybe this lens has a higher resolution? Do you think it has a higher resolving power than your HS-30 lens, Joms?  I've always wondered how much a camera's lens limits the resolving power of its sensor and the HS-10 lens which was put on the HS 20/25/30 was originally meant for a 10 MP camera.  This is the first HS series lens specifically designed for a 16 MP camera..... maybe that makes a difference?

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads