Logan 750-1: Use large carpenter square

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339Gear list
Like?
Logan 750-1: Use large carpenter square
Mar 27, 2013

I just bought a Logan Simplex 750-1 and one of the first things I did was to check the squaring arm for 90 deg. I used a 6" X  8" drafting triangle and everything seemed to check out just fine. The squaring arm appeared to be at a perfect right angle to the guide rail, as it should be.

However, when I tried to square a 30" X 40" mat, I couldn't get the mat to be 90 deg. at every corner. I realized that my unit wasn't really squared even though my drafting triangle was telling me all was OK. Finally I used my 18" X 24" carpenter square to more accurately check things out. With the larger square I could just make out a tiny gap (I think less than 1/64") between the squaring arm and the tool at 24". The arm was out of square by so small an amount that it was only observable with the use of the larger carpenter square. I then adjusted the arm and squared several mats with no observable errors.

If you are following Logan's strong suggestion that you square your raw mats before doing anything else, it involves a cut followed by rotating the piece 4 times. If the Logan is even a smidgen out of square then this error is multiplied 4 times. In my case I ended up with a final cut that was between 1/16" and 1/8" off.

From now on I'll check the squareness of the Logan - before every job - with my large carpenter square. It's cheap insurance given the time I wasted and the price of mat boards.

Otherwise, this is one fantastic machine.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,588Gear list
Like?
Agreed
In reply to soloryb, Mar 27, 2013

A large carpenter's framing square is the only way to go. Good luck with your Logan. I have the 60-inch Logan Framer's Edge and it works splendidly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339Gear list
Like?
Re: Agreed
In reply to DotCom Editor, Mar 27, 2013

DotCom Editor wrote:

A large carpenter's framing square is the only way to go. Good luck with your Logan. I have the 60-inch Logan Framer's Edge and it works splendidly.

I called Logan and asked them to include this in their manual. They just refer to using a carpenter's square with no reference to the necessary size to achieve accuracy.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Oscar Rico
Senior MemberPosts: 2,152Gear list
Like?
Re: Logan 750-1: Use large carpenter square
In reply to soloryb, Mar 27, 2013

Not need carpenter square.

Mark same distance of each side say 20" inches.

Multiply one side say 20"x 1.414= 28.28"
28.28" is the exact distance between the ends of each side (across). (If not adjust accordingly).

You just saved the cost of the carpenter square. Regards: Oscar

Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oscar Rico, Mar 28, 2013

Oscar Rico wrote:

Not need carpenter square.

Mark same distance of each side say 20" inches.

Multiply one side say 20"x 1.414= 28.28"
28.28" is the exact distance between the ends of each side (across). (If not adjust accordingly).

You just saved the cost of the carpenter square. Regards: Oscar

Hard to measure that exact. The rotating 90 degrees method showed my new 650 was perfectly square.

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Oscar Rico
Senior MemberPosts: 2,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 28, 2013

If you cannot measure correctly, then you need to get the tool that does it for you. I personally have no problem, but that is me. Regards: Oscar

E Dinkla
Contributing MemberPosts: 555
Like?
In reply to soloryb, Mar 28, 2013

soloryb wrote:

If you are following Logan's strong suggestion that you square your raw mats before doing anything else, it involves a cut followed by rotating the piece 4 times. If the Logan is even a smidgen out of square then this error is multiplied 4 times. In my case I ended up with a final cut that was between 1/16" and 1/8" off.

The method in itself is not wrong but the assumption that the multiplication is 4x, it is only 3x.

Logan and Rotatrim make the same mistake or copy one another. See a similar thread here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=76727.0

-- hide signature --

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
500+ inkjet paper white spectral plots: OBA content etc.
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

just Tony
Contributing MemberPosts: 682
Like?
Perhaps this tool?
In reply to Oscar Rico, Mar 28, 2013

Oscar Rico wrote:

If you cannot measure correctly, then you need to get the tool that does it for you. I personally have no problem, but that is me. Regards: Oscar

But you could buy a lot of carpenter's squares with that much money; it's probably not what you had in mind to accomplish your implied accuracy of 0.01 inch:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/test-measurement/calipers-dial/fowler-xtra-range-electronic-caliper-40-inch-range

just Tony
Contributing MemberPosts: 682
Like?
Don't forget to check the square
In reply to soloryb, Mar 28, 2013

Here's a method but it only has a 2X error amplification:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/fxfrmsqr.html

E Dinkla
Contributing MemberPosts: 555
Like?
In reply to E Dinkla, Mar 29, 2013

Next to being inexpensive the sheet method represents actual practice so the result of the correction will apply better to practice. Select a sheet with a paper thickness that is about the average of the papers used.

-- hide signature --

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
500+ inkjet paper white spectral plots: OBA content etc.
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads