First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,158Gear list
Like?
Re: First Impression on NX300 (unpacked)
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 29, 2013

Yes, incredible, but...true

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KingDon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Mar 29, 2013

Ariston wrote:

anyway, I somehow agree with you with regards to the NEX-6 AF where I find the AF focusing speed not impressive at all in comparison with other mirrorless which performed better. I was pretty surprised about dpr's assessment that the AF is good or not bad at all for a mirrorless despite the fact the it doesn't appear to be even at par with the faster ones.

What DPR said was that single AF on Nex-6 isn't that different from previous Nex model, but the AF tracking ability (in continuous AF mode) is best behind Nikon V1 -- better than any M4/3 camera.

Thom Hogan who reviewed Nex-6 had the same conclusion

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/sony-nex-camera-reviews/sony-nex-6-review.html

So credible people who (unlike you) used all these cameras confirm than Nex-6 has much better AF tracking than usual mirrorless cameras on the mark.

Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,838
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Mar 29, 2013

Knallberto wrote:

For under $99 you get EXCELLENT extern mics - usable with EACH camera, 10x more features like such sea robbery mics.

Can you post a link to one?

hootsmon
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Mar 29, 2013

Ha ha! That pink mockup is just sooo WRONG it looks RIGHT  

hootsmon's gear list:hootsmon's gear list
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to KingDon, Mar 30, 2013

KingDon wrote:

What DPR said was that single AF on Nex-6 isn't that different from previous Nex model, but the AF tracking ability (in continuous AF mode) is best behind Nikon V1 -- better than any M4/3 camera.

Thom Hogan who reviewed Nex-6 had the same conclusion

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/sony-nex-camera-reviews/sony-nex-6-review.html

So credible people who (unlike you) used all these cameras confirm than Nex-6 has much better AF tracking than usual mirrorless cameras on the mark.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH !!!

wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to KingDon, Mar 30, 2013

KingDon wrote:

This can't be correct.

According to Samsung, the NX300 has the fastest AF.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art +3 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 30, 2013

Tjobbe, when you have time, could you please publish a couple of iso 3200 and 6400 pics, coming from unprocessed raw with no NR applied in camera?

It woukd be great to see the 100% crops to evaluate noise at pixel level.

Thanks in advance!

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 30, 2013

I tried one processed ISO12800 which I post processed in LR with some further sharpening (masking set to  90% and NR applied)

date is a bit weird but its from today

maybe I need to be more careful here on shooting it my take is that NR starts to creep in at that setting.

Need to play with that a bit more but look forward for some night shots today.

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
tecnoworld
Like?

here the noise is a bit visible, but hey, 12800 is an insane ISO setting, even for FF cameras! I guess this image could be usable if printed (not cropped) in 10x15cm size.

What about a couple of unprocessed images (directly from Raw with no NR applied), at ISO 3200 and 6400? Thanks and sorry if I'm asking a lot of things, but this could be the first NX camera that I want to buy immediately

tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 30, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

.. but this could be the first NX camera that I want to buy immediately

yes,it is the first one you want immediately 

I will try to shoot some more within the next two days but as said: my girl friend has other prios

EDIT: to be clear, I am not able to process RAW with LR at the moment as I do not want to install the RC on my desktop and I had lots of probs to install it on my laptop. As the JPEG OOC results are THAT good and the in Camera RAW converted ones as well I do not progress with that task for now....which might indicate to you the confidence I do have in that small little beast

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
tecnoworld
Like?

thank you very much for your reply. It seems that this camera is really a huge step in the right direction, for Samsung.

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,585Gear list
Like?

tjobbe wrote:

I tried one processed ISO12800 which I post processed in LR with some further sharpening (masking set to  90% and NR applied)

date is a bit weird but its from today

maybe I need to be more careful here on shooting it my take is that NR starts to creep in at that setting.

Need to play with that a bit more but look forward for some night shots today.

Tanz Vollrasuch...Rauschen tut es nicht sowviel.

May be it would be better to shoot in a darker position, tonight indeed. This looks promising I have to say. Pretty good for 12800! Thanks for posting these.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Ariston1
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to wictred, Mar 31, 2013

wictred wrote:

KingDon wrote:

This can't be correct.

According to Samsung, the NX300 has the fastest AF.

of course that statement is not correct. never was from the start since it's obviously just a shilling post.

Ariston1
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 31, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

this could be the first NX camera that I want to buy immediately

I thought you said that you'd only buy an NX camera for what it's real price is. what happened to that? you'd be wasting your money away. why would you buy something that would only come down 6 months after?

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to Ariston1, Mar 31, 2013

I know that and I'm struggling with myself about this (yesterday I was at a shopping mall selling the NX300 + a Samsung tablet for 749€ and I was really tempted, but they had just the white version, so I passed...for now).

The fact is that this camera seems to be worth the money it costs now, differently from previous NX models

You know, wise persons can change their minds, in front of the evidence!

83cat
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ariston1, Mar 31, 2013

Ariston1 wrote:

tecnoworld wrote:

this could be the first NX camera that I want to buy immediately

I thought you said that you'd only buy an NX camera for what it's real price is. what happened to that? you'd be wasting your money away. why would you buy something that would only come down 6 months after?

haha,

Yes and it already had match the performance of these camera price tag!

83cat's gear list:83cat's gear list
Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?

That is part of the very definition of wisdom

The nx300 looks to be a very good camera, ive never even considered a useable iso 12800, does anyone know how these results compare to it's competitors?

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Mar 31, 2013

of course! and another part of the definition of wisdom is selecting just the most confortable part of the definitions, so to exactly match your thought

Based on what I see from the pics of tjobbe and those on the internet, I'd say the NX300 is not at least on par with the latest NEX as to high ISO IQ and possibly even a bit better. The jpg engine seems to be so improved that most of the times you won't even need to process the Raw with a software, since there is an enbedded converter that does the job nicely (of course if you don't want to change some other picture settings).

My only concern now is DR, which still seems a bit poorer than other competitors, but not by a large margin and then there has not been a real comparative test, yet.

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?

Yes, cherry picking definitions is part of the definition of sanity.

So the new sensor seems competitive then.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads